PDA

View Full Version : Kimber series 2 firing pin safety

KrampusArms
02-17-13, 16:52
Hello M4C. I need some 1911 experts to chime in with some knowledge.

Is it possible to remove/deactivate the firing pin safety in my TLE2?

Or would this be a bad idea? I've read that this "swartz" style safety can possibly prevent the pistol from firing in a worst case scenario if it was damaged.

Could I simply remove the block from the slide & the push rod from the frame?
Any & all advise is appreciated.

samuse
02-17-13, 21:13
Yeah you can get rid of it.

I think you have to take the rear sight off to get everything out of the slide and you'll be left with a hole in the slide where the FPB was.

I'm pretty sure you can just take the stuff out of the frame.

It's been a few years since I dug into a Kimber...

Littlelebowski
02-17-13, 21:19
Just install a Series 70 firing pin and it's disabled.

KrampusArms
02-18-13, 00:02
Hey thanks guys.

Ive been looking online for a how to or some type of tutorial on this, if any of you are aware of one, please point me in its direction.

Also, is this a bad idea? Or does my severe distate for extra parts & extra safet not warrant what Im after here? I just dont get all these extra complications.

aguila327
02-18-13, 01:14
About the only thing you'll have to worry about is liability. As an LEO you hear the folk lore about altered weapons and liability, so alter at your own risk.

I've participated in one law suit were a weapon/shooter had a negligent discharge. Shooter claimed it was a malfunction of the weapon. He deactivated the grip safety. That alteration cleared the manufacturer and left the shooter holding the bag.

FYI: The attorneys were looking to blame everyone. From the manufactuere, the shooter, ammunition, the range, and even a gunsmith who worked on the gun years prior to the ND.

Unfortunetly I don't know what the final disposition was, but I'm sure no one was happy.

KrampusArms
02-18-13, 01:40
About the only thing you'll have to worry about is liability. As an LEO you hear the folk lore about altered weapons and liability, so alter at your own risk.

I've participated in one law suit were a weapon/shooter had a negligent discharge. Shooter claimed it was a malfunction of the weapon. He deactivated the grip safety. That alteration cleared the manufacturer and left the shooter holding the bag.

FYI: The attorneys were looking to blame everyone. From the manufactuere, the shooter, ammunition, the range, and even a gunsmith who worked on the gun years prior to the ND.

Unfortunetly I don't know what the final disposition was, but I'm sure no one was happy.

Definitey something to think about. Thank you for your comments.

Gary1911A1
02-18-13, 10:22
Have you thought about selling it and buying a quality 1911 without a firing pin safety. I don't even like the 80 Series myself.

KrampusArms
02-18-13, 15:25
Have you thought about selling it and buying a quality 1911 without a firing pin safety. I don't even like the 80 Series myself.

No. Absolutely not. It was given to me by my dad as a gift, and I cherish it. I'm aware of the Kimber dislike around here, and the issues. I actually really like this particular gun, and I'm not into 1911s enough to buy a new one. I will never sale it.

The only thing I dont like about it is the unnecessary safety mechanism.

alvincullumyork
02-18-13, 16:16
No. Absolutely not. It was given to me by my dad as a gift, and I cherish it. I'm aware of the Kimber dislike around here, and the issues. I actually really like this particular gun, and I'm not into 1911s enough to buy a new one. I will never sale it.

The only thing I dont like about it is the unnecessary safety mechanism.

This is a good reason to keep a Kimber. My dad just gave me a piece of crap High Standard pistol and even though it has numerous issues it will never be sold.

I had a Kimber TLE/RL II and while it was accurate and good looking it gave me a ton of problems. One of which was the grip safety failing to unblock the firing pin but still allowing the hammer to fall. This problem has happen to more than one Kimber. I took it to a local gun smith to fix some other problems and when it was there I had him remove the rear sight and I took the firing pin block out. That solved that problem but more kept popping up so I sold it.

alvincullumyork
02-18-13, 16:21
Just install a Series 70 firing pin and it's disabled.

The Kimber series II is different than the series 80 pistols. I have heard of this fix for Kimbers before and I know that it works but I wonder if the firing pin block might still drag on the series 70 firing pin causing wear and tear?

brickboy240
02-18-13, 16:26
I have a TLE II as well.

Did the Series 70 pin trick years ago and the thing runs great.

I know...I know...I got the only good running Kimber on this site! LOL I bought it as a part time range toy to begin with...so I was never expecting much. However...the damn thing runs and has never jammed in 5 years of running. Long ago when Colt was our only choice - that would have been seen as some sort of miracle.

You can remove the Swartz parts from the frame but I just left them in place. No dragging or hanging up can I feel...at all. In fact, it has a similar pull as my 2 Series 70 Colts.

I'd go for it. People poo poo this system but it was easier to replace than that crazy mainspring housing set up that Springer sells and I never hear a peep from anyone here about that "safety" device.

Be prepared...Kimbers and XDs get no love around here. Even though I got a decent one...it appears they have earned their bad reputations.

-brickboy240

T2C
02-18-13, 16:39

The sharks always go into their feeding frenzy after something bad happens. This is why I shoot factory ammunition out of stock pistols for defensive purposes. The only thing I would change on a defensive pistol is sights.

Now the Colt Series 70 firing pin installation has my attention. I may put one in my Kimber 1911 I use to shoot pistol matches and see how much of a difference it makes.

KrampusArms
02-18-13, 17:12
Yeah you can get rid of it.

I think you have to take the rear sight off to get everything out of the slide and you'll be left with a hole in the slide where the FPB was.

I'm pretty sure you can just take the stuff out of the frame.

It's been a few years since I dug into a Kimber...

You were correct sir. Just dug into the slide guts to inspect, there's no where for the FPB to go but up and out.

Here you can see the portion of it through the firing pin channel. And also the bottom of the slide, and the only items that are removable from the slide. 15465

KrampusArms
02-18-13, 17:14

KrampusArms
02-18-13, 17:25
The Kimber series II is different than the series 80 pistols. I have heard of this fix for Kimbers before and I know that it works but I wonder if the firing pin block might still drag on the series 70 firing pin causing wear and tear?

This is also now a concern of mine after having a look just now. See above photo. The block protrudes into the channel substantially.

Dave Berryhill
02-18-13, 17:56
You can tune the Swartz safety to unblock the firing pin as early as possible:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=4310945&#post4310945

Got UZI
02-18-13, 18:07
I cringe Everytime I see someone post something Kimber on here as it always leads to more "Kimber Bashing"

The options listed above are the ones you have, run a series 70 firin pin or pull the rear sight and take it out that way.

Brickman-I have 3 Kimber's that run fine and I carry one daily, having no issues with it taking care of me. If you do your research you'll find there are good and bad Kimber's, just as there are good an bad with many companies, but everyone seems to want to rip on Kimber for their past. I am going on the 3 that I have and I'm happy with them.

alvincullumyork
02-18-13, 19:03
You can tune the Swartz safety to unblock the firing pin as early as possible:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=4310945&#post4310945

What's your opinion on just replacing the firing pin with a series 70 one?

Do you think there is a problem with removing the firing pin block?

You make some beautiful guns by the way.

Dave Berryhill
02-18-13, 19:40
Thank you!

If you ask most gunsmiths to remove or deactivate a safety they will tell you "no" (myself included).

KrampusArms
02-18-13, 20:27
Mr. Berryhill
Great looking work on your website.

alvincullumyork
02-19-13, 00:03
I cringe Everytime I see someone post something Kimber on here as it always leads to more "Kimber Bashing"

The options listed above are the ones you have, run a series 70 firin pin or pull the rear sight and take it out that way.

Brickman-I have 3 Kimber's that run fine and I carry one daily, having no issues with it taking care of me. If you do your research you'll find there are good and bad Kimber's, just as there are good an bad with many companies, but everyone seems to want to rip on Kimber for their past. I am going on the 3 that I have and I'm happy with them.

I'm no expert so take this for how much you paid for it. The reason everyone is so quick to Kimber bash is because they have developed a poor track record. Kimber used to make good guns, the series I without the firing pin block junk. Then Rob Cohen took over, this is the guy who is currently ruining Sig. The series II pistols have not fared well when shot hard. Grip safeties that don't disengage the fire pin block but let the hammer drop, MIM fire control parts wearing out unusually fast, tight chambers, and needing to be cleaned every 200 rounds or so.

My dad bought a TLE/RL II when I was in high school. I worked relatively hard all summer and saved up to get a 1911. Since I was in high school I didn't really know much (still don't:eek:) I thought I was shooting it a lot, probably just over 500 rounds a year. My sophomore year of college I found this site and realized I didn't shoot very much at all and started buying a lot more ammo. The first range trip that I shot more than 100 rounds the gun malfunctioned. The side got noticeably slower and it would not cycle properly. I took it home and cleaned thoroughly and the next trip it made it past 150 rounds before the slide started to slow down and cause problems. At this point the pistol had more than a 1000 rounds through it so it should have been 'broken in.' Then the grip safety started to not dropping the firing pin block. It was sporadic and it took me quite a while to figure out what was going on. Then the gun started to double and sometimes triple. This is with a gun that less than 2000 rounds through it. I took it to a gun smith and had him fix it and I sold with full disclosure.

Not all Kimbers are bad, most are probably just fine and even most of the bad ones will never be shot enough to show there true colors. They do look good, and mine was very accurate but enough of them have exhibited the same symptoms for them to earn a bad reputation especially when there are other better options out there for less money.

Got UZI
02-19-13, 04:50
I will be honest that i have done alot of little things to my 4" TLE that I carry, so it's not 100% factory, but the internal parts are still factory. I had a couple issues that I didn't like when I got it so I fixed them, so maybe I am cheating when I say mine has been reliable.

Spiffums
02-19-13, 08:53
I have a TLE II as well.

Did the Series 70 pin trick years ago and the thing runs great.

I know...I know...I got the only good running Kimber on this site! LOL I bought it as a part time range toy to begin with...so I was never expecting much. However...the damn thing runs and has never jammed in 5 years of running. Long ago when Colt was our only choice - that would have been seen as some sort of miracle.

You can remove the Swartz parts from the frame but I just left them in place. No dragging or hanging up can I feel...at all. In fact, it has a similar pull as my 2 Series 70 Colts.

I'd go for it. People poo poo this system but it was easier to replace than that crazy mainspring housing set up that Springer sells and I never hear a peep from anyone here about that "safety" device.

Be prepared...Kimbers and XDs get no love around here. Even though I got a decent one...it appears they have earned their bad reputations.

-brickboy240

No mine runs good too!

brickboy240
02-19-13, 10:28
I actually bought my TLE II for 780 bucks. Five years ago...you could not find a 1911 that had front strap checkering, night sights and the other enhancements that the TLE II had in that price range. I borrowed 2 Kimbers from friends and those shot well...so I rolled the dice.

Granted, I did NOT buy this to carry....that is the job of my G19. But for a range gun...the damn thing is accurate and has never jammed.

Sure, it is full of MIM parts but so is my Springfield and it too runs really well.

We laugh about my Kimber and say things like "remember...this is supposed to suck" and just keep shooting it.

Will it go down some day? Maybe...but I only paid 780 bucks for the thing.If it goes down...I'll do like I did with both my Colts - replace parts and go back to shooting.

I doubt seriously I'd buy another Kimber but this one seems to run fine for now.

I also fail to see why everyone bashes Kimber's safety but never says a thing about Springfield's odd MSH safety.

-brickboy240

crazymoose
02-19-13, 14:20
I also fail to see why everyone bashes Kimber's safety but never says a thing about Springfield's odd MSH safety.

-brickboy240

I bash the Springfield safety. I had a TRP whose MSH lock would engage itself after a few rounds of shooting. I'll never trust one of those again.

Vandal
02-19-13, 20:36
I bought my Stainless II in January 2008. Since then I have shot it enough to have replaced the springs several times. It was my carry gun until I bought my Dan Wesson and never hesitated to put in on.

One thing I have noticed cruising 1911 specific forums is the problems seem to primarily encompass the higher end Kimbers, not their entry models. It seems like they are trying to make a gun that competes with the Baers and Wilsons of the world while maintaining their production numbers. You can't do that in the world of high end 1911s and not expect things to go bad.

Got UZI
02-20-13, 04:59
I've noticed that a few of their lower end models seem to have issues too (Crimson Carry comes to mind) but their mid-range guns $1,000 ball park seem to hold their own. To me the TLE is a good gun for the money, you can't buy a Springfield with night sights and front strap checkering for $1,000 but with that said IF you get one that you have to dump a pile of money in then it wasn't worth it in the long run, BUT this is true with any gun.

Take the M&P for instance-buy a stock gun and immediately put in an Apex trigger kit, new sights, ect, do this do that and you've got a pile wrapped up in a polymer gun.

Littlelebowski
02-20-13, 07:06
I had a $1k+ Kimber. Piece of shit.

alvincullumyork
02-20-13, 23:03
I've noticed that a few of their lower end models seem to have issues too (Crimson Carry comes to mind) but their mid-range guns $1,000 ball park seem to hold their own. To me the TLE is a good gun for the money, you can't buy a Springfield with night sights and front strap checkering for $1,000 but with that said IF you get one that you have to dump a pile of money in then it wasn't worth it in the long run, BUT this is true with any gun.

Take the M&P for instance-buy a stock gun and immediately put in an Apex trigger kit, new sights, ect, do this do that and you've got a pile wrapped up in a polymer gun.

My TLE was a POS.

The M&P trigger is not that bad. Most new pistols will need aftermarket sights. Even with the DCAEK and Ameriglo i Dot Pro installed by Grant you are still only at 655. A Glock at 500 plus the same sights and a minus trigger bar is close to 615.

Much better to invest all that money in a plastic gun than than start out with a 1000 dollar Kimber that may or may not work and have to throw another couple hundred at it. If you want a 1911 get a Colt or a Springfield.