PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades: Do it yourself, or not?

JOHNNY51966
02-17-13, 20:03
I am thinking about adding a few new parts to my Colt LE6920. Like a floating rail, flip down front and rear sights, and a few other things. I do not own many of the tools wrenches, vice, ect. to do these add ons. So do I spend the money and purchase what I need or do I take it to a smith.
What did you do ?

Atlshaun
02-17-13, 20:14
Purchased highquality tools.

Iraqgunz
02-17-13, 20:17
The first thing I wouldn't do is remove the FSB for slip sights. It makes no sense as the FSB is the most secure sight.

Mounting a rear sight requires a screwdriver. There are plenty of rail options that don't require invasive procedures.

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-17-13, 20:19
For the free float you will need to get a dremel tool that can be picked up for less than $50 at Walmart brownells has videos with step by step how to do it.

wetidlerjr
02-17-13, 20:19
I bought the tools except for those for a barrel install/remove as I haven't needed them, yet.

matemike
02-17-13, 20:24
Do a mod or two yourself that uses nothing more than some screw drivers and allen wrenches. (new grip and rear sight come to mind)

You'll start to learn the mechanics of the gun better. You then might become addicted to doing more and more. Get some quality tools like a nice punch set and an armorer's wrench designed for barrel nuts and caslte nuts and go forth from there.

BH321
02-17-13, 20:31
Are you sure you actually need any of these upgrades? Have you even shot the rifle in its current configuration? Not to be mean, but most people (myself included) can get by just fine with Magpul MOE hand guards, Magpul Vertical Grip, and a light mount kit with the Surefire light of your choice.

Now, if you have shot the rifle and you do feel that certain upgrades are necessary, then your next step should be to decide what parts you want. If you truly want a free float hand guard, do you want one that has integral rails or one of the newer modular rail systems? The rail system you decide will determine what tools will be necessary and if you choose one of the KAC URX rails then you may find the cost of the wrench alone to be worth having a smith do it. Do you intend to do a lot of work on these rifles or swap out parts often? If so then purchasing tools might be worth it, if you don't then having the smith do the job may be the more cost effective choice.

If you want a longer hand guard and the front sight post doesn't bother you, look at some of Daniel Defense's options that allow you to leave the FSB intact, along with similar Centurion Arms products. If you can't stand it or want a different rail system, then look into dremeling off the top of the FSB and the bayonet lug in order for you to maintain a pinned gas block. There are a couple of threads that detail the procedure, just use the orange search button at the top of the page.

JOHNNY51966
02-17-13, 20:47
I have shot it and it runs and shoots great I was just looking for some more appealing looks. It has the original forearm that looks dated. I also wanted to get rid of the handle for something different. I have seen a gun I like and the way it looks. Recommendations please. I look to this sight for information, insight, and knowledge.
so please let me know.

MistWolf
02-17-13, 21:02
Don't change the carbine for looks. Change it to make it better.

I know I configured my rifles to look the way I wanted them to, but I made sure the parts used would work the way wanted. I use a MOE handguard instead of the standard round handguard, but they only got the nod because they are durable and fit my hand better and give me better control over the rifle.

I like the looks of the free float handguard on my precision AR, but again I chose them because they fit my hand and allow me to control the rifle better

Warp
02-17-13, 21:15
I am thinking about adding a few new parts to my Colt LE6920. Like a floating rail, flip down front and rear sights, and a few other things. I do not own many of the tools wrenches, vice, ect. to do these add ons. So do I spend the money and purchase what I need or do I take it to a smith.
What did you do ?

What upgrades and for what specific reasons/purposes?

When you reference the things you 'need', what are you referring to?

If you don't know what is required to put a new rear sight on your rifle, you probably aren't in any kind of a position to be spending money on items like a free floating rail.

For a defensive carbine the list of items to purchase, in my OPINION, goes something like this:

1. Ammo
2. A sling
3. Training. A weekend at an Appleseed is a great place to start.
4. A light
5. More ammo
6. More training
7. An optic
8. Other items that you have determined a need for, or desire for due to specific advantages offered, after having put time in behind the gun, shooting it properly and effectively.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

There are very few tools required for run of the mill upgrades. Probably, in your searches and reading to determine which choice to go with, you will see all you need about the installation of them.

NYH1
02-17-13, 21:28
The first thing I wouldn't do is remove the FSB for slip sights. It makes no sense as the FSB is the most secure sight.

Do a mod or two yourself that uses nothing more than some screw drivers and allen wrenches. (new grip and rear sight come to mind)

Don't change the carbine for looks. Change it to make it better.

These guys give great advice. Make sure that if you change something, it's going to do what you need it to do. There is no sense in changing parts just to change them. That gets expensive!

Good luck, NYH1.

AR Newby AZ
02-17-13, 22:01
I also have an LE6920 and I'd go with a few effective, easier and cheaper modifications. Magpul enhanced trigger guard ($15), magpul hanguard ($30), MVG vertical grip ($20?) and a surefire or streamlight setup around $150ish. All you'd need is a roll punch, Allen wrench and your hands. I love the irons. I don't recommend the magpul rear sight though but that's just me. But it's your money so do what you wish.

Travis B
02-17-13, 22:05
Is this TOS or M4C? Shoot it to figure out what you need.

WhiskyNiner
02-17-13, 22:16
It's ok to make changes, but I'd council to not get in a rush. Take your time, decide on a final vision, gather tools, gather parts, view tutorials, and think it all through. Ask questions. Take your time.

Buy ammo. Shoot the heck out of your rifle, and go from there. I'd rather have a big block under the hood and rust on the fenders than a shiny paint job and a 6 cylinder under the hood. Performance first, looks later.

But mostly, shoot and enjoy.

Warp
02-17-13, 22:18
It's ok to make changes, but I'd council to not get in a rush. Take your time, decide on a final vision, gather tools, gather parts, view tutorials, and think it all through. Ask questions. Take your time.

Buy ammo. Shoot the heck out of your rifle, and go from there. I'd rather have a big block under the hood and rust on the fenders than a shiny paint job and a 6 cylinder under the hood. Performance first, looks later.

But mostly, shoot and enjoy.

Don't forget the training/know how to drive part of that analogy. ;)

The noob will just wrap his big block around a tree while the guy who put his money into advanced driving classes in track conditions will take his half-as-much-power 6 cylinder and smile ear to ear as he turns on his hazards in victory

Melon
02-17-13, 22:19
To make your new gun FABULOUS....you must accessorize.

samuse
02-17-13, 22:21
I also have an LE6920 and I'd go with a few effective, easier and cheaper modifications. Magpul enhanced trigger guard ($15).

Don't encourage him to kill his lower. Unless you shoot with heavy gloves all the time I fail to see what a Magpul trigger guard is gonna enhance.

Your 6920 already has a front sling mount. If you have the Rogers stock, you already have a good stock with a QD socket. Go to blueforcegear.com and buy a VCAS sling and one QD swivel. Sling? Check.

Go to azarmament.com or gandrtactical.com and get an Aimpoint PRO and a Magpul back up sight.

Then try to find some ammo.

If you wanna swap grips... Pay close attention to how much torque is required to remove the screw that holds the grip. Then think about that when you put the new grip on!

Warp
02-17-13, 22:30
Don't encourage him to kill his lower. Unless you shoot with heavy gloves all the time I fail to see what a Magpul trigger guard is gonna enhance.

Your 6920 already has a front sling mount. If you have the Rogers stock, you already have a good stock with a QD socket. Go to blueforcegear.com and buy a VCAS sling and one QD swivel. Sling? Check.

Go to azarmament.com or gandrtactical.com and get an Aimpoint PRO and a Magpul back up sight.

If you wanna swap grips... Pay close attention to how much torque is required to remove the screw that holds the grip. Then think about that when you put the new grip on!

I think that shooting with heavy gloves, ever, would mean there is a benefit to the magpul trigger guard.

One benefit is that it fills the gap. That gap drives some of us crazy, and tears our finger apart. Of course, you can always just put the gapper in there. I would do one or the other for sure on every applicable rifle, every time, personally

He may or may not be satisfied/well served by mounting the sling on the stock and up at the FSB sling swivel. But he's have to get out and shoot to figure that out, right? :)

Also, the 6920 usually comes with one QD swivel, correct? If using the FSB sling swivel you wouldn't even have to buy a QD swivel thing.

AR Newby AZ
02-17-13, 22:35

How does it kill the lower? I don't use heavy gloves but the extra room feels a lot more comfortable.

EchoHotel
02-17-13, 22:40
I have a question as far as this goes as well, better to ask in here than start a new post... I was a fairly competent mechanic before I became an EMT assuming I can stumble across all the barrel nut torque specs and I already bought a vice block dpms multi tool front site base block
how difficult of a change over would it be to put a 15'' nsr on this thing I have a 6920 as well? Is it simply as easy as punching out the gas pin front sire post pins removing the barrel nut, taking my barrel to adco (local to me ) have them pin the low pro gas block. I feel confident up to this point for sure... But re-installation is where I hear problems come in from head spacing... Is this something that can be done with out the proper feeler guages with the factory barrel easily?

Quentin
02-18-13, 00:08
How does it kill the lower? I don't use heavy gloves but the extra room feels a lot more comfortable.

A person new to the game can easily break off a trigger guard ear from the lower when installing a new trigger guard. Why do you think Stark sells so many of those ugly pistol grips? :D

AR Newby AZ
02-18-13, 01:57
A person new to the game can easily break off a trigger guard ear from the lower when installing a new trigger guard. Why do you think Stark sells so many of those ugly pistol grips? :D

Good to know. Glad that didnt happen to me.

JOHNNY51966
02-18-13, 06:31
This is the LE6920 I have.
http://code4lesales.com/listman/listings/l0217.php

WhiskyNiner
02-18-13, 08:42
Don't forget the training/know how to drive part of that analogy. ;)

The noob will just wrap his big block around a tree while the guy who put his money into advanced driving classes in track conditions will take his half-as-much-power 6 cylinder and smile ear to ear as he turns on his hazards in victory

I concur with the training thing, but you gotta get your feet wet at some point. My first street bike (that went with my learner's permit) was a CB1100F. Lot's of tippy-toeing around until I gained confidence and knowledge. I lived. Everybody else lived. Good all around.

But as with so many things (another car analogy coming) the newb buys something and immediately spends butt loads of cash to pretty it up. Wings, fancy paint, thousands of dollars in stereo stuff. But it's still a Civic underneath.

Buy quality and learn how to use it. Then fancy it up when you have an idea of what you're doing.

JOHNNY51966
02-18-13, 18:39
Thanks guys for the help. I am going to rethink what I want and find some help with training. It defiantly makes more sense to know what you want to do to the gun because you need it than because you want it to look cool.

BLACK LION
02-19-13, 13:29

Mounting a rear sight requires a screwdriver. There are plenty of rail options that don't require invasive procedures.

This...definitely.

I would look into a KAC 600 meter rear BUIS. They can be found cheap and are dead nuts on target. Just need a screwdriver.

Magpul kit is plug and play with only common tools and basic mechanical knowledge required to install.

samuse
02-19-13, 14:28
Don't forget about the Knight's Armament RAS.

It's a great drop in rail. Easy to install and doesn't alter the gun at all.

Watrdawg
02-19-13, 14:50
The majority of the work you may want to do yourself is fairly easy. One thing to always remember is to have the right tools and take your time doing the work. I never try to force anything. The tools are basic and easy to come by. Doing basic stuff with an AR isn't rocket science. Changing a rail, grip, adding sights, changing a stock is fairly simple. As others have said though, make sure the changes make sense.

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 15:22
I have a question as far as this goes as well, better to ask in here than start a new post... I was a fairly competent mechanic before I became an EMT assuming I can stumble across all the barrel nut torque specs and I already bought a vice block dpms multi tool front site base block
how difficult of a change over would it be to put a 15'' nsr on this thing I have a 6920 as well? Is it simply as easy as punching out the gas pin front sire post pins removing the barrel nut, taking my barrel to adco (local to me ) have them pin the low pro gas block. I feel confident up to this point for sure... But re-installation is where I hear problems come in from head spacing... Is this something that can be done with out the proper feeler guages with the factory barrel easily?
^^^ anyone.

Shorts
02-19-13, 17:01
^^^ anyone.

Might be better to start your own post so you may get focused information. Also, would be kind to the OP not to hijack his thread.

WillBrink
02-19-13, 17:35
What did you do ?

Rule for me, if it requires anything more than common tools I have and requires no fine measurements, I'll do it. That leaves a surprising amount if stuff you can do on your own with an AR.

Outside of that, I'll give it to a professional. That's me, some really enjoy learning to tweak and tinker.

Beat Trash
02-19-13, 18:16
You don't know what you don't know...

But until you can decide what YOU need from your rifle, I would 't be in a hurry to start changing things.

I've been using 6920's for a while. I have one as my Patrol Rifle at work. For me, I keep it simple, with the flowing modifications:

A MagPul Forend

A Surefire light (Fury Defender) mounted with an IWC mount.

MOE vertical grip (Use as a handstop and helps activating light while in non-conventi positions. As in taking cover, having to squat or lay on the side.)

Aimpoint RDS. I use a T-1 on my work gun,but I have a PRO on a spare gun. Hard to beat a PRO for the money.

BUIS (I prefer the Troy, but so long as you have a BUIS to go with a RDO)

A good sling (I prefer the VCAS).

A MagPul MOE pistol grip. The stock grip will work, but I have large hands and the MOE feels better. This isn't a needed item, but for the cost, I'll install one for the added comfort and control.

For my needs, this works. But this is not something I put together the day I bought the first gun. It was the result of trying something to fulfill a need. And as something better came along, being willing to change.

All of the above changes can be done with a screw driver or included Allen wrenches.

This gun, and it's spare, are working tools. Any minor bangs or wear marks just add character to the gun. I'm not too concerned about how it looks.

This is not my "Dream gun". But for the money invested, it works.

I'm not saying the OP run out and set up his new 6920 just like mine is. I mention my setup just to show you can modify a gun at home and make it perform a bit better for your needs.

But if you can not explain why you are making each change to your gun, and what issue that change is going to address, then I would suggest not doing it.

8200rpm
02-19-13, 18:51
For the awesome looks! (http://ricercarmods.com/)

BLACK LION
02-20-13, 12:03
There is also an excellent article in the current issue of SWAT magazine covering this very subject. I cannot find the article on the website so I cannot provide a link.

JOHNNY51966
02-20-13, 14:49
Thanx Beatrash. I appreciate all the help guys.

talaananthes
02-20-13, 14:53
Hey Beat Trash, what makes the PRO different from the M-series sights? It seems like the best value going, almost too good to be true value for price.

Beat Trash
02-21-13, 08:56
Hey Beat Trash, what makes the PRO different from the M-series sights? It seems like the best value going, almost too good to be true value for price.

No experience with the M series. But I agree that for the price, it's hard to beat.

talaananthes
02-21-13, 09:01
I don't like EoTechs, so really other than the Micro being lighter (6 oz with mount isn't worth $300 once you throw in the mount to me), I don't see any downside to it. I mean, 3 year vs 5 year battery life? How horrible lol.;)

Litpipe
02-21-13, 10:00
For what its worth...my .02 . I bought to rifles within a month of each other...before the panic. One I kept simple...the other I added stuff to because it is a work gun.

The "modified" AR15 has gone through two different muzzle devices...I just put the A2 back on. It has gone through 2 different grips, I ended up with a BCM Mod1. I changed a lot...and went back to stock on some things. I left the fixed front sight...i like it.

All in all the only think I like that I added...that was worth it were a Geissele trigger (SD-C) and a Troy 7" ff. If I had it to do again I would have gotten a longer rail, but I dont really care that much. I have a light on it..but thats just a matter of a wrench...not a big tool issue.

The other rifle...has an mbus and an moe front sytem with moe vfg. Thats it...and it seems lighter and shoots almost better. This was a backup rifle and I almost take it out more.

My point is shoot the shit out of what you have and then change things as it comes up. I made the mistake of buying a lot of stuff...good stuff...but stuff none the less.

whick1
02-23-13, 07:39
if i were set on a free float rail i would look at a Daniel Defense Omega Rail. It is a free float rail that does not require the FSB to be removed. It is simply to put on with an ounce of mechanical know how.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=7.0OR-DD

Out of stock at the moment but you should be able to find from a reputable dealer.

These are great rails that are rock solid and with anything from DD top of the line.

Brian Brazier
02-24-13, 14:46
Things that need to be screwed on like sights and grips I do, I also installed the Knights Trigger Guard because I have a good set of roll pin punches. When it comes to things that require removing the barrel or a barrel vise like installing a free float handguard or flash hider, I leave those to Rainier Arms, but I only live a few miles away from them which makes it really convenient.

Wa22ioR
02-24-13, 19:14
With a Colt, just K.I.S.S. If this rifle could, even a small possibility, be used for social work, please install a light. Use a good, read durable, light like Surefire or Inforce. This will save your ass in both darkness and in court litigation should it happen.

If you are using a flat top rail, which I am assuming you are, then have a good set of BUIS such as Matech, KAC 600m, or even Magpul BUIS. A good, read Aimpoint, red dot optic will serve you well and will greatly enhance target acquisition speed and center mass hits quickly. However, please shoot the rifle and learn the fundamentals of zeroing and using iron sights before advancing to a CCO.

Have plenty of quality magazines, both 30 round and 20 round, and have spare parts for high wear parts. Get a decent B.O.B. and put an extra bolt, those extra high wear parts, and a cleaning kit in the bag. Find some spare parts on the Exchange here or at SAW.

Next, get some ammunition, which is hard to do at the moment, and have some for stockpiling.

Finally, after shooting and training with your carbine, then decide what further enhancements you would like to make and have someone that knows what they're doing modify the weapon to your liking.

Hope this helps.

Thump_rrr
02-24-13, 22:43
For the free float you will need to get a dremel tool that can be picked up for less than $50 at Walmart brownells has videos with step by step how to do it.

A Dremel tool should never be needed to upgrade or modify an AR.
If you need one you're either ill equipped or lack the necessary skill to perform the task at hand.

I can guarantee you that there is nowhere in any armorers manual that calls for a Dremel tool.

talaananthes
02-24-13, 23:04
I just installed a Magpul trigger guard. I'm not an armorer, but what I've learned dealing with all kinds of things is, take it easy, be as gentle as you possibly can while still getting the job done. Tapped the roll pin out very slowly and gently, pushed it back in very slowly and gently. Didn't have any of the specialized tools, but because I was slow and careful the job went perfectly anyway.

skywalkrNCSU
02-25-13, 06:48
If you need one you're either ill equipped or lack the necessary skill to perform the task at hand.

I can guarantee you that there is nowhere in any armorers manual that calls for a Dremel tool.

Glad I am not the only one who was confused by that...

Warp
02-25-13, 08:22
I just installed a Magpul trigger guard. I'm not an armorer, but what I've learned dealing with all kinds of things is, take it easy, be as gentle as you possibly can while still getting the job done. Tapped the roll pin out very slowly and gently, pushed it back in very slowly and gently. Didn't have any of the specialized tools, but because I was slow and careful the job went perfectly anyway.

You didn't have a punch? What did you use?

duece71
02-25-13, 08:37

If I recall, isn't a Dremel used to shave the front sight post? Just curious. I haven't looked at the tutorial.

djmorris
02-25-13, 09:55

Obviously not but it's got hundreds of thousands of different uses for firearms. For AR's specifically, you use it to shave and then grind the FSB.

Brian Brazier
02-25-13, 13:09
Allot of people use a Dremel to cut the delta ring off, I dont advocate using a Dremel, but it can be done

DocH
02-25-13, 14:43
I'm old and uncool,but this is what I did Saturday. Installed an LMT rear sight.I don't like carry handles but I like those adjustments.
Replaced pistol grip with a Magpul MOE plus.
BCM Gunfighter chargimg handle as it adds to faster manipulation,and for me more positive.

Will likely change out the trigger guard to an enhanced Magpul as the gap is annoying to me. I'll likely keep the standard foregrip.I ain't tactical,and I have a couple more carbines.All real simple easy things to do. The only thing that will improve my shooting is me.
As long as I look good(and I do) I don't care what my gun looks like.:p

ChrisCross
02-25-13, 17:59
I'm a pretty hands on guy but am keeping it relatively simple for now.

Installed a Troy BUIS, KAC Ras Rail (this was a little fun alone), Magpul Grip, Aimpoint (of course), BCM Gunfighter,Magpul STR etc. I've removed the front sling attachment on my Colt (I swear they put Red Loctite on my pins for giggles).

At this point (due to lacking some tools) and still learning/not comfortable... I'm staying away from doing things involving the Castle Nut, Delta Ring, Barrel etc. All the stuff I have installed if I buggered it up aren't a catastrophic issue.... some of the others can be.

Also get a set of GOOD punches... worth their weight in gold.