PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Hogan guns?

capth4u
02-17-13, 21:25
Hello everyone,

Any thoughts on Hogan guns? Personal experience, seen them or know someone that has one is all fine :-) I am looking to buy quite a few guns this week and I am looking at Hogan guns, Umlaut Industries, LaRue (if wait isnt forever) Windham weaponry and a few others. I just have not heard much about Hogan and the little I have has been good except for an old comment that said the upper and lower were loose.

Thanks you for any information you can provide :-)

מגן ולא יראה
02-17-13, 21:44
Check your private messages.

Iraqgunz
02-17-13, 21:56
I recommend that you use the search feature and take some time to read before you purchase anything. I wouldn't buy a Hogan or a Windham Weaponry.

Leonidas24
02-18-13, 01:39
I had to look up Hogan Guns to find out who they were, and it looks like a bunch of POF gear slapped together to make somewhat of an AR. I couldn't read the red price against the background due to my colorblindness, but I have a feeling it's a price north of $2500.

Don't waste your money on Hogan or Windham. Read the stickies here, and go from there. Brands like Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, and many others will offer a better product and often at a better price.

capth4u
02-18-13, 09:53
Thank you guy for the information :)

Hogan used to make POF parts then they had a falling out and split, that is why they look similar. I thought POF was a nice gun? Could you list some reason Hogan isn't a solid gun?

Thank you!

Magelk
02-18-13, 13:07
Thank you guy for the information :)

Hogan used to make POF parts then they had a falling out and split, that is why they look similar. I thought POF was a nice gun? Could you list some reason Hogan isn't a solid gun?

Thank you!

Go into the stickied "Knowledge based threads" and read read read. Use the search. Everything you need to know is here.

capth4u
02-18-13, 13:15
Go into the stickied "Knowledge based threads" and read read read. Use the search. Everything you need to know is here.

Thank you :) I am currently reading my butt off.. I seen the chart but it is outdated :/ Just trying to get bits and pieces to make an solid educated purchase.

I have contacted LaRue, DD, Noveske, BCM, Sionics, Knights and Umlaut. LaRue has a year waiting list DD is not taking orders until next month, Noveske and BCM is not taking orders until further notice and I have not heard back from Umlaut yet. Knights and Sionics are about 15 weeks. So I dont know what I will or can do beside hope to find a dealer that gets one in. I am looking for specific models though so it might be hard to get what I really want without having to wait for a year :(

Thank you all for the information! I am a sponge :)

*Not the square pants kind* :p

Melon
02-18-13, 15:09
posting what you are looking for specifically might be helpful if that is the information you are seeking.

Also, look up in the sticky's, "The Official Where Can I Get It Thread" has listings everyday for the items you may be potentially looking for.

RearwardAssist
02-18-13, 15:21
I have a billet lower that they milled and everything is in spec. The fit and finish is better than my colt. I didn't buy it, was a gift. I have looked at their prices and don't think I would drop that kind of coin for their product, meaning I would rather buy a colt/bcm/dd and take the remainder of the money and put it towards optics/ammo.

Iraqgunz
02-18-13, 15:28
Fit and finish is not something to be concerned about. The actual materials used and whether or not it is in spec is more important.

I have a billet lower that they milled and everything is in spec. The fit and finish is better than my colt. I didn't buy it, was a gift. I have looked at their prices and don't think I would drop that kind of coin for their product, meaning I would rather buy a colt/bcm/dd and take the remainder of the money and put it towards optics/ammo.

RearwardAssist
02-18-13, 15:42
Fit and finish is not something to be concerned about. The actual materials used and whether or not it is in spec is more important.

Which is what I spoke to directly before the fit and finish. It is in spec.

Iraqgunz
02-18-13, 15:54
I understand that. I was referring directly to the comment about "fit and finish was better than my Colt" which means absolutely nothing.

Which is what I spoke to directly before the fit and finish. It is in spec.

RearwardAssist
02-18-13, 16:19
I understand that. I was referring directly to the comment about "fit and finish was better than my Colt" which means absolutely nothing.

Ok, gotcha.

Leonidas24
02-18-13, 18:10
Thank you :) I am currently reading my butt off.. I seen the chart but it is outdated :/ Just trying to get bits and pieces to make an solid educated purchase.

I have contacted LaRue, DD, Noveske, BCM, Sionics, Knights and Umlaut. LaRue has a year waiting list DD is not taking orders until next month, Noveske and BCM is not taking orders until further notice and I have not heard back from Umlaut yet. Knights and Sionics are about 15 weeks. So I dont know what I will or can do beside hope to find a dealer that gets one in. I am looking for specific models though so it might be hard to get what I really want without having to wait for a year :(

Thank you all for the information! I am a sponge :)

*Not the square pants kind* :p

It may not be ideal but I've seen falling prices on Gun Broker recently. 2 DDM4V4's selling for 1700-1800, an SR-15 for 2000, and a few others. It may take some time to find the perfect gun at the right price, but it's still possible amongst the panic.

capth4u
02-19-13, 20:42
It may not be ideal but I've seen falling prices on Gun Broker recently. 2 DDM4V4's selling for 1700-1800, an SR-15 for 2000, and a few others. It may take some time to find the perfect gun at the right price, but it's still possible amongst the panic.

:) Thanks... I did see a nice SR15E3 IWS Mod1 Carbine that is what I wanted. I heard a lot of nice things about it but it is pricey. I think I will get it and a solid but cheaper AR like a Umlaut U4 Patrol X12 or something. It just hard to find things in stock and everything from manufactures are months behind. Next month I think I will order a Tavor as well :) Those weapons look very nice and well made. I also thought of getting a UTAS UTS-15 or a Noveske 16" Light Recce, SWITCHBLOCK :) The Noveske is a little pricey though so I might lean to a cheaper priced AR. I think if I can get most or all of these I would be very happy. Oh.. I also like the Colt LE901-16S but its hard to find a good price one. I seen the msrp is $2,129 on american rifleman but I am not sure if that is correct. I have not did much homework on this colt yet. Do you guys think this is a good plan of action :) Thanks again!

Col_Crocs
02-20-13, 00:27
Im having a hard time understanding your logic... You say the sr is pricey and yet youre getting a second AR. Then youre looking at a noveske aside from the previous 2 but think it's too expensive so youre getting a third, cheaper AR... To top that off, you also want a tavor and a 901... Not trying to be rude, and, it is your money but If youre willing to spend all that cash on all those guns, why not just get one good AR and if at all, spend the rest on the other 2 platforms youre looking at? quality over quantity.

capth4u
02-20-13, 04:56
Im having a hard time understanding your logic... You say the sr is pricey and yet youre getting a second AR. Then youre looking at a noveske aside from the previous 2 but think it's too expensive so youre getting a third, cheaper AR... To top that off, you also want a tavor and a 901... Not trying to be rude, and, it is your money but If youre willing to spend all that cash on all those guns, why not just get one good AR and if at all, spend the rest on the other 2 platforms youre looking at? quality over quantity.

So a SR isnt a good AR? That is my logic... I thought the SR was a "good AR" or a higher end AR. Then get a few cheaper ones if I can find them anywhere. I know a Noveske is still on the high side so I would more likely get something like that umlaut industries. I would like to get the Tavor but never said I would get the Colt maybe if I found for a nice price but I never said I would get that one. So again, I was thinking the SR would be the high end and the umlaut a solid second... the Tavor when it comes out next month. I would like to get others but my funds are limited. Since a Hogan is over priced and not a high end gun, I thought this might be a better angle and wanted to see what you all thought :)

Col_Crocs
02-20-13, 05:18
Not what i meant at all. The SR is in fact a good weapon. What i dont understand is the instantaneous need for a second AR, let alone a third, if i now understand you correctly. I dont see the point of getting one good one and getting 2 cheaper ones. Is this your first AR.

capth4u
02-20-13, 05:59
Not what i meant at all. The SR is in fact a good weapon. What i dont understand is the instantaneous need for a second AR, let alone a third, if i now understand you correctly. I dont see the point of getting one good one and getting 2 cheaper ones. Is this your first AR.

Is it not typical to want or own a few different versions of the same caliber or style of weapon? My brother and a few friends have a few AR's and AK's. I'm sorry but I like a few different guns and just thought I would get some feedback on them :)

Col_Crocs
02-20-13, 07:04
I have my share and most,if not all, around here have theirs as well. There is, however, usually some thought process between weapons, esp around here.
This sounds like this is going to be your first AR. If youre deadset on the SR and can get it for a good price esp in this climate i say go for it. That said, i know it's not what you asked but this being your first, and if things were available, i would get a good basic AR like a 6920 or a BCM middy. The idea and logic being to shoot it, learn it, upgrade as needs and preferences change, and then build or buy based off what you come to find you really want or even better, need, in a next weapon.

capth4u
02-20-13, 07:51
Yea.. this is my first AR :) I'm excited. I was in the first gulf war but I was on the Nimitz so we never were able to use guns :/ Two years ago I was hit by a car while at work so I have been fighting with the dept of labor and they just finally paid me my back pay so I now can get a few weapons.

The SR 15 I found is one of the models I was looking at (long with many others) but due to everything be hard to get or long waiting times I thought I better jump on it while I could. Its 200 over msrp but I think that isnt to bad considering everything that is going on at the moment. I see things dropping so I hope to get a few other weapons close to msrp. About what to start with... here is my thought process :) I would rather pay for a higher model for my first so I dont have to upgrade later. I think that would cost more money in the long run. I will get a few lesser (below 2000k) expensive AR's as well. So any suggestions would be great. I appreciate all of your information!

Col_Crocs
02-20-13, 08:31
Yea.. this is my first AR :) I'm excited. I was in the first gulf war but I was on the Nimitz so we never were able to use guns :/ Two years ago I was hit by a car while at work so I have been fighting with the dept of labor and they just finally paid me my back pay so I now can get a few weapons.

The SR 15 I found is one of the models I was looking at (long with many others) but due to everything be hard to get or long waiting times I thought I better jump on it while I could. Its 200 over msrp but I think that isnt to bad considering everything that is going on at the moment. I see things dropping so I hope to get a few other weapons close to msrp. About what to start with... here is my thought process :) I would rather pay for a higher model for my first so I dont have to upgrade later. I think that would cost more money in the long run. I will get a few lesser (below 2000k) expensive AR's as well. So any suggestions would be great. I appreciate all of your information!
Ok so now i know where youre coming from.:) Oddly enough, it's often the opposite. All the different parts feel and work differently for different folks, so you may come to find as you go that the existing rail, stock and all the other "factory mods" dont actually work for you. Then it becomes more expensive since you'll have to get parts that you now feel you need to replace the ones you paid a premium for. Dont get me wrong, im not suggesting you go cheap. By basic, i actually mean a stock model of a high quality brand, like say colt or noveske. Succeeding ARs will come later and you'll soon find that you can actually build top tier ones to your specific requirements for not too much money, even under 2k, granted things simmer back down to previous levels. Lots of them in the pic threads and custom area.

capth4u
02-20-13, 09:50
Thank you :) I do want to build an AR... I really like the look of the Umbrella Corporation lower :) Im sure I will be on here soon enough asking what other parts I need :P This SR is near basic I believe but I know what you mean about the feel. I know I like the look so I hope it does feel right. If not I can always get most of my money back from a higher quality AR. I ordered some 3gen pmags today before I even ordered the weapon :) I want to make sure this guy is legit before paying him. He said he is an ffl dealer. Ill contact my local ffl and see. Thanks again :)