PDA

View Full Version : More Americans Than Ever Jumping Ship

WillBrink
02-18-13, 12:22
High taxes force more Americans to renounce their citizenship

With 6 million US citizens living abroad and continuing to pay US taxes, expatriates increasingly abandon their citizenship for the sake of saving cash. The US is the only industrialized country that requires its overseas citizens to pay income taxes – even if their income is generated abroad.

http://rt.com/usa/news/us-tax-income-pay-244/

RogerinTPA
02-18-13, 13:33
Doesn't surprise me at all, and it's not just rich folks. Hell I almost moved to S.A. myself. I know lots of people who are employed and many have their businesses overseas, and have lived their for many years, including military and contractors who have set up their lives in central america, thailand and the PI. Their kids are growing up there, the spouse is gainfully employed, and they are sick of paying taxes for money earned abroad.

Honu
02-18-13, 15:15
Have not looked into it recently but anyone know anyone living in costa rica these days ?
I know its pretty westernized etc.. Just curious what crime and life is really like there these days ?

When I lived in Honduras in the early 90s did not have the massive gang issues in CA just curious if its in Costa Rica now also ?
Back in the 90s seemed like a nice place to go ?

From some quick looks seems its expensive now to buy homes though :(

brickboy240
02-18-13, 16:35
I know three people that left America and retired in Panama.

Two of them looked at Costa Rica and said forget it. The rich Americans and Europeans already bought up the pretty places and jacked the prices way up. If you are wealthy...you can swing Costa Rica.

Panama is appealing because they accept the USD for currency and there are tons of ex-pats and ex-Aussies already living there. Panama City is very modern and has many of the stores we have here in America. Planning on visiting one of my friends whose parents retired there 2 years ago. They love it.

Other places in SA that are worth looking in to are Uruguay and Ecuador. You better know Spanish, though.

There are entire companies that help Americans make the move, buy real estate and live in places in Central and South America.

-brickboy240

Honu
02-18-13, 16:47
I know someone that bought in Panama also did a bit of looking just not that much and like Honduras I heard one thing got their and found it so so different than one people said
being nicer and more safe than was made out to be ? but again way before it became insane dangerous in capital cities like the goose !

did kinda wonder if Costa Rica was like other FOUND places now

funny how the Bay Islands of Honduras where I lived is so insane expensive now !!! wished I bought that 5 acre waterfront place for 5K !!!
but downside is when I was their I was busy traveling and did not plan on going back and squaters rights there to take over the land are really bad for owning land unless you have someone watching it or you are a true local

my cousin moved to Tenerife and married a local girl but he loves that island says its a lot like Hawaii was when we were kids 30-40 years ago total dif kinda lifestyle there !

7 RING
02-18-13, 20:53
Deleted

Honu
02-18-13, 22:41
while some places have been stable for a short while I often wonder how long ?

that is the only thing about some of them ?

WillBrink
02-19-13, 10:19
I know three people that left America and retired in Panama.

Two of them looked at Costa Rica and said forget it. The rich Americans and Europeans already bought up the pretty places and jacked the prices way up. If you are wealthy...you can swing Costa Rica.

Panama is appealing because they accept the USD for currency and there are tons of ex-pats and ex-Aussies already living there. Panama City is very modern and has many of the stores we have here in America. Planning on visiting one of my friends whose parents retired there 2 years ago. They love it.

Other places in SA that are worth looking in to are Uruguay and Ecuador. You better know Spanish, though.

There are entire companies that help Americans make the move, buy real estate and live in places in Central and South America.

-brickboy240

I posted the above from Panama. It's the place to be. :cool:

Whiskey_Bravo
02-19-13, 10:56
I have spent time in Belize and it seems like a decent place. Lots of expats as well. Placencia is nice and quite and you can still buy waterfront land for cheap. But people are saying that it is turning into the new Costa Rica. They say it is similar to Costa Rica 15-20 years ago.

If I had to pick a place right now it would be Belize. Pegged to the US dollar as well, 2 to 1. English is the official language also.

brickboy240
02-19-13, 12:35
I am supposed to visit Panama City this summer...cannot wait to go.

I have also heard that you can have guns in Panama...another plus.

I also like their more "stripped down" lifestyle there.

That is one bad thing about looking into moving out of America. Some gun laws in Central and South American countries are as bad as the UK or Europe.

-brickboy240

austinN4
02-19-13, 13:08
I have spent time in Belize and it seems like a decent place.
No offense to you personally, but I find Belize to be a literal dump compared to Panama. The last time I was in Belize City I was not at all impressed by their open sewers that the tides flushed twice a day.

But people are saying that it is turning into the new Costa Rica. They say it is similar to Costa Rica 15-20 years ago.
What people? Do you know them? Have they been to both?

The new Costa Rica is actually Nicaragua, but I would be more comfortable living in Panama.

Panama City is at sea level, so it is very, very humid. I prefer the highlands up around Boquete near Parque Nacional Volcan Baru (Panama's highest peak and only volcano at 3,478 meters) and Parque Internacional La Amistad where the weather is more to my liking.

Jer
02-19-13, 13:15
The new Costa Rica is actually Nicaragua, but I would be more comfortable living in Panama.

I almost bought an island off Nicaragua about a decade ago & wish I had gone through with it now.

brickboy240
02-19-13, 13:17
I have a close friend from Quito, Ecuador.

That is also on my short list of places to bug out of America and hide.

Ecuador is beautiful and not expensive at all.

-brickboy240

glocktogo
02-19-13, 13:36
I have a close friend from Quito, Ecuador.

That is also on my short list of places to bug out of America and hide.

Ecuador is beautiful and not expensive at all.

-brickboy240

Cuenca, Ecuador is an ex-pat haven in the foothills of the Andes. It's about 400,000 population, so there's a lot of infrastructure. Excellent climate, great health care, almost everyone speaks english. Sadly, gun ownership there is severely restricted. :(

brickboy240
02-19-13, 14:14
Lets be honest...very few of us are willing to give up our guns for one of these foreign destinations....right?

If gun ownership in Ecuador was like USA....we'd all bail without question...right?

Hell...if we cannot make money on our investments or get decent raises...our only choice left is to move to where the cost of living is lower.

-brickboy240

Honu
02-19-13, 14:23
When I lived in Honduras the guy I worked for had a AK one time he went over to Nicaragua and picked up one from a rebel and got a couple cases of ammo said it was fun to shoot it full auto when he ran out of ammo he just sold it off again ?

Moose-Knuckle
02-19-13, 18:30
Should You Renounce Your Citizenship?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/should-you-renounce-your-citizenship-144048875.html

Whiskey_Bravo
02-19-13, 20:00
No offense to you personally, but I find Belize to be a literal dump compared to Panama. The last time I was in Belize City I was not at all impressed by their open sewers that the tides flushed twice a day.

What people? Do you know them? Have they been to both?

Panama City is at sea level, so it is very, very humid. I prefer the highlands up around Boquete near Parque Nacional Volcan Baru (Panama's highest peak and only volcano at 3,478 meters) and Parque Internacional La Amistad where the weather is more to my liking.

I don't dispute Belize city. It is a dump , that's why I mentioned placencia. Ambergris Cay is nice as well. I have only flown into Belize city and then flown on a puddle jumper from there. I have not been to panama so I can't compare.

I said that people are comparing it to what Costa Rica was like 20 years ago. I couldn't tell you if that is true, since I was not in Costa Rica 20 years ago.

Nicaragua and Honduras are both on my travel list in the next year or two.

feedramp
02-19-13, 20:15
Meanwhile, in America http://news.yahoo.com/mccain-defends-immigration-plan-angry-residents-004915369.html

Honu
02-19-13, 21:18
after living in Honduras for a year and traveling I think any city and place can have nice and dumpy spots
I dont think I would want to live in Honduras unless it was in the Bay Islands where I lived
I chose the smallest island Utila and it was quite nice but nothing like it is today I still have friends there !
we used to go through the goose and places where now is way to dangerous even some of my local friends say you have to fly in fly out not go out anywhere in the cities as they are to dangerous but of course the islands are still safe

glocktogo
02-19-13, 23:33
Meanwhile, in America http://news.yahoo.com/mccain-defends-immigration-plan-angry-residents-004915369.html

GRRRR...McCain Angry!!! GRRRR... :D

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/vCjGQfDCygzDPqzYA_gpuQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MjA1Mjtjcj0xO2N3PTI4OTY7ZHg9MDtkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQ0NztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/6fc417c227e200062a0f6a7067006a4e.jpg

Would someone feed him his meds already and send him to the rest home???