PDA

View Full Version : USPS Lost my Lower... What now?

NeoNeanderthal
02-18-13, 12:46
Searched on here and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping i could get some advice.

Long story short. Wanted a stripped lower during the panic, the only one available was in Maine (I'm in NH). My friend was going to the shop to buy one for himself so he picked up an extra one to help me out. After some research we found that he couldn't just private sell it to me, because it would be crossing state lines.

He went to his ffl and had him ship it to my ffl, but was in a rush and didn't get tracking number/insurance on it.

12 days later it has not arrived at my ffl. Sooo what should we do? I've never purchased a firearm over the internet or had one mailed to me so i'm new to this aspect.

sapper36
02-18-13, 12:56
Claim the insurance and start looking for a new one. It is happening a lot latley, they have misplaced a LMT BCG that I sent out last week.

NeoNeanderthal
02-18-13, 12:57
wasnt insured.

aguila327
02-18-13, 12:57
Its on the shipping FFL. I dont know whos telling you he was in a rush, but I would tslk to that Ffl. He must have a record of that shipment and day it shipped.

This whole story seems suspect considering that firearms must ship under certain conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1gunzenuf
02-18-13, 13:00
Without tracking and/or insurance, I am not sure what if any recourse you would have.

How was it packaged? Did it have identifying markings on the package? If so, it is likely that someone recognized it for what it was and appropriated the package for themselves.

My guess is that you will have to contact the post office and get their official statement on what can or cannot be done.

Tough break and I feel for you, but I would say that unless it happens to arrive after a few days that this is one of those moments in life when you get to learn from a mistake.

Roadblock
02-18-13, 13:01
Because it was FFL to FFL, it's on them. Gotta make sure it's reported lost or stolen too.

I would also contact the ATF and see what you should do because the sending FFL messed up. I have a friend who has his FFL and he is sitting 20 feet away from me right now and he agrees that the FFL should have NEVER let that go out without tracking due to the type of item it is and you should involve the ATF.

3 AE
02-18-13, 13:05
Have your friend find out who the carrier was. FedEx, UPS, even USPS now has tracking numbers for Priority Mail packages. The FFL he used should be able to file a claim with the carrier. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't your friend have shipped it himself as long as he ships it to your FFL?

me_john85
02-18-13, 13:16
12 days I wouldnt call it lost yet. I think they actually say up to 7 to 15 buisness days for normal packages last time I mailed somthing. Unless they overnighted it.

mattg1024
02-18-13, 13:20
Never should have shipped without insurance. Learned that lessen.

Shorts
02-18-13, 13:22
OP, your friend needs to go to the shipping FFL. This is on him (FFL) to ship it properly and securely.

Have your friend find out who the carrier was. FedEx, UPS, even USPS now has tracking numbers for Priority Mail packages. The FFL he used should be able to file a claim with the carrier. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't your friend have shipped it himself as long as he ships it to your FFL?

Correct, according to the GCA.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

The receiving FFL documents the acquisition. The private party receiving does the 4473 to receive the part.

maddy345
02-18-13, 13:47
Cross you fingers and say a prayer

Roklok
02-18-13, 14:36
Somebody probably stole it.

grunt soldier
02-18-13, 14:41
Don't hesitate to get the ball rolling just in case. It's definitely on the FFL shipper to do things the right way.

All that being said. Something has been going on with USPS lately because my priority mail packages have been taking 4-5 days to show up and regular mail has been even longer. I got a heavy buffer the other day and it took it like 13 days to show up. it had tracking on it and it showed it in Indianapolis and departed. it was lost in transit from indy to my house for almost 4 days and then just randomly showed up.

Hopefully it shows up soon.

Sentaruu
02-18-13, 14:42
Somebody probably stole it.

+1

consider it wealth re-distribution

i hope it turns up tho.

Warp
02-18-13, 14:45
Searched on here and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping i could get some advice.

Long story short. Wanted a stripped lower during the panic, the only one available was in Maine (I'm in NH). My friend was going to the shop to buy one for himself so he picked up an extra one to help me out. After some research we found that he couldn't just private sell it to me, because it would be crossing state lines.

He went to his ffl and had him ship it to my ffl, but was in a rush and didn't get tracking number/insurance on it.

12 days later it has not arrived at my ffl. Sooo what should we do? I've never purchased a firearm over the internet or had one mailed to me so i'm new to this aspect.

Actually, that that was still illegal.

It is not legal for a non-dealer to buy a gun with the intention of selling it to somebody else, regardless of whether or not that 'somebody else' is legal to own the firearm. Only dealers can do that.

Which, of course, makes you wonder how many of these people "flipping" guns are going to end up wishing they hadn't.

Now, if your friend had purchased one for himself, and later decided he didn't want it, and he asked you about it, and you said you'd take it...that's legal.

But yes, that is on the shipping FFL. Go to them first with the problem.

R0CKETMAN
02-18-13, 16:40
I'd give it another week, then shop for another lower.

Shocked that an ffl would ship a receiver which I believe they had to "book" without tracking or insurance.

Kokopelli
02-18-13, 16:44
Involve the ATF.. hahahahahahahaa.. You've got to be kidding.. Just stating the obvious.. ;) Ron

ST911
02-18-13, 16:45
Contact USPIS and request that the ser# for the lower be entered into NCIC in case it surfaces elsewhere. Let it be known to all involved at both ends that you've made this request, and see if it's magically found.

aguila327
02-18-13, 16:55
Involve the ATF.. hahahahahahahaa.. You've got to be kidding.. Just stating the obvious.. ;) Ron

May seem funny to you, but I bet if it was your lower you would be looking to get Obama involved;-)

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if the FFL or an employee of his stole it. The fact that he has no info is sudpicious in itself.

Iraqgunz
02-18-13, 17:08
I agree.

Contact USPIS and request that the ser# for the lower be entered into NCIC in case it surfaces elsewhere. Let it be known to all involved at both ends that you've made this request, and see if it's magically found.

Kokopelli
02-18-13, 17:31
hahahaha. sure.. I called the highway patrol when that guy stole the beer out of my truck on the way home too.. ;) Ron

May seem funny to you, but I bet if it was your lower you would be looking to get Obama involved;-)

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if the FFL or an employee of his stole it. The fact that he has no info is sudpicious in itself.

Palmguy
02-18-13, 17:58

USPS instituted free tracking on Parcel Post and Priority Mail this year. There should be a tracking number for it.

http://blog.stamps.com/2012/10/29/usps-announces-new-postage-rates-for-2013/

Iraqgunz
02-18-13, 17:59
Thanks for bringing that up. I totally forgot about that.

USPS instituted free tracking on Parcel Post and Priority Mail this year. There should be a tracking number for it.

NeoNeanderthal
02-20-13, 18:44
Ok guys, heres the update. Thank you all for your help.

It arrived after 14 days (musta got lost in winter storm nemo or whatever they called it). It also ended up being a misunderstanding between me and my friend. He said he would send it from his ffl, but his ffl told him as per federal law he didnt need to send it FROM a ffl only TO a ffl. So thats what he did, and he didnt insure or track it. But it arrived at my ffl in one piece and the transfer was done. So long story short, no ffl screwed up. Just a painstakingly long wait on the mail.

TehLlama
02-20-13, 18:47
I've given up and ship everything insured - even if it's under the list value (Sure, it's a $3000 computer, but a $500 insurance is enough to motivate USPS to find it pretty fast)

Kokopelli
02-20-13, 18:59
hahahaha.. 8) <<<=8)Ron

mattg1024
02-20-13, 18:59
Glad everything worked out.

jaxman7
02-20-13, 19:24

Found out this myself after shipping some M&P 9 parts last week. Was glad to see the receipt now comes with a tracking #.

-Jax

kwelz
02-20-13, 19:35
I have been dealing with similar issues with USPS. They used to be great. Not so much anymore...

loaded6shooter
02-20-13, 19:43
Glad to hear everything worked out for ya

tamabrand
02-20-13, 19:44
Glad it finally showed up for you. Just a heads to folks that a good portion of items shipped USPS are being transported via UPS feeders, then delivered to the nearby USPS hubs and out they go. I wouldn't say it's a majority of packages, but I see enough of them as a driver, and I've seen quite alot of theft/folks removed via police working at UPS. Get that insurance.

Warp
02-20-13, 20:43
Glad it finally showed up for you. Just a heads to folks that a good portion of items shipped USPS are being transported via UPS feeders, then delivered to the nearby USPS hubs and out they go. I wouldn't say it's a majority of packages, but I see enough of them as a driver, and I've seen quite alot of theft/folks removed via police working at UPS. Get that insurance.

I don't doubt it for a second.

I've done some work for UPS and the security/screening of the employees going in and out of the hub makes TSA seem pleasant. Not much trust in those sorters. Can't say that I blame them, either, considering what I've seen...

Try not to have anything on the packaging indicating value for stuff you ship with any carrier, especially if it's small enough to hide in a hooded sweatshirt, jacket, backpack, small cooler, etc.

And pad the hell out of it, 'cause it's getting beat to hell.

3 AE
02-20-13, 22:14
Dude, you got us all worked up and everything. We were bringing out the pitchforks and axes to bring justice to your world. Now we have to go sulking back to our caves. You owe us a round of brewskis the next time we have a convention!:alcoholic:

frogger
02-21-13, 02:28
Glad to hear it all worked out in the end. I do agree with a previous poster that what you described sounds dangerously like a straw purchase. I'm not 100% on the details of what is and is not considered a straw purchase, but this sure sounds like one.

As far as USPS, they have been sucking more than usual lately. I had a package sit in one sorting facility for 3 days, then it arrived at the next one, left the same days and 4 days later arrived back at the same sorting facility it had just left again. It finally got to me but it did a few laps first. WTH?!

EDITTED TO ADD:

I did a quick search and found this doc from NSSF...

http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/strawPurchase.pdf

...and I'm still confused. It says it is when the actual buyer can't pass the background check or does not want his name associated with the paperwork. Based on the reasoning the OP gave, neither condition is true but it was still bought on behalf of someone else and not as a gift. Seems like a grey area, but I'd be careful about deals like that in the future.

geohans
02-21-13, 02:52
It's very difficult to prove that someone bought a gun with the intension of selling it to someone else. People change their minds all the time.

Unless, of course, you post it on a forum that it was your intention to do so.

The description posted here describes a straw purchase. This thread could hurt you. I would delete. Iraqgunz?

militarymoron
02-21-13, 09:28
it's not a straw purchase if the gun is transferred legally to the 2nd person. the OP is going through his FFL - it is not being shipped directly to him. it's a private party transfer across state lines.

It's very difficult to prove that someone bought a gun with the intension of selling it to someone else. People change their minds all the time.

Unless, of course, you post it on a forum that it was your intention to do so.

The description posted here describes a straw purchase. This thread could hurt you. I would delete. Iraqgunz?

Failure2Stop
02-21-13, 09:36
it's not a straw purchase if the gun is transferred legally to the 2nd person. the OP is going through his FFL - it is not being shipped directly to him. it's a private party transfer across state lines.

Yup.
Lack of working knowledge and experience is where silly assumptions (like constructive intent) creep into the world of dealing with the ATF.