PDA

View Full Version : 11-87 police disassembly

m700m
03-12-08, 16:53
:confused: i tried the search function, yet i need to know, is there a trick to removing the magazine extension on an 11-87p i have a few manuals, but they only deal with the standard tube. my ? is do you remove the extension before you remove the forearm nut? disassembly seems straight forward other than that. i am thinking that you remove the bracket at the front sight, than unscrew the tube from the nut, or remove the forearm nut and extension together? any one know what is best?

Buck
03-12-08, 23:23
1) remove the bracket at the front sight
2) then remove the forearm nut and extension together

m700m
03-13-08, 10:07
thanks ;) for that, Buck, Don................

blackscot
03-13-08, 11:27
+1, remove the nut and extension together.

You may want to do something in addition though. Sometimes shells can hang-up at the junction of the extension with the receiver-fixed part of the tube. You can adjust the position of the tube to avoid that.

With the nut separate from the extension, screw it all the way down tight against the forend. Now put some loctite on the threads of the extension and screw it into the nut to where it just meets the forward edge of the fixed tube. Don't turn the extension hard against the tube, leave it just touching or if anything back-off just a smidge to allow for possible thermal expansion.

Let the loctite dry and from then on keep the extension and nut together as a unit. The extension will always be correctly positioned with the tube to avoid shell hangs.

Buck
03-13-08, 11:49
+1, remove the nut and extension together.

You may want to do something in addition though. Sometimes shells can hang-up at the junction of the extension with the receiver-fixed part of the tube. You can adjust the position of the tube to avoid that.

With the nut separate from the extension, screw it all the way down tight against the forend. Now put some loctite on the threads of the extension and screw it into the nut to where it just meets the forward edge of the fixed tube. Don't turn the extension hard against the tube, leave it just touching or if anything back-off just a smidge to allow for possible thermal expansion.

Let the loctite dry and from then on keep the extension and nut together as a unit. The extension will always be correctly positioned with the tube to avoid shell hangs.

Good advice...

John Fettes
03-22-08, 10:32
I generally removed the tube and nut separately. I also used a special set of rubber jawed pliers that Brownell's sells to install and remove the nut.

John

m700m
03-29-08, 14:50
thanks guys, i do appreciate all of your input