PDA

View Full Version : Salient Arms - Update to my previous closed thread.

PetesM4
02-18-13, 20:32
Went to update my previous thread, but it was closed.

My buddy's purchased those Salient Arms Tier 1 AR's and per my recommendation and some concerns asked for a breakdown of what they're getting for their $3K.

Took a while for them to respond, but hopefully this information can help anyone looking at one of these in the future. From the looks of it, and price paid (hoping they get there money's worth!), I can't assume they'll get a "bad" rifle.

Here's the response they got:

"Here is the breakdown of components in our AR15 build.

LVOA 16" handguard with three 2" 1913 rail segments

14.5" chrome lined barrel with a Battlecomp 2.0 pinned and welded with a 1:7 twist

SAI upper/lower billet matched set

SAI fitted/tuned Super Dynamic 3G Geissele trigger

Stippled pistol grip with finger groove removed

Magpul flip ups

Magpul CTR buttstock

SAI bolt carrier group - lightened and coated in TIN

Barrels are offered in 1:7 and 1:9 twist rate depending on ammunition choice. Typically we are building 1:7 per customers request."

Can someone explain why the BCG would be lightened and coated in TIN. I would think it's to reduce friction/wear...but what would that exactly do? Prolong the life of the BCG? Also, why/how would you lighten it?

Auto426
02-18-13, 20:59
I'm thinking "lightened" bolt carrier means semi-auto bolt carrier. The titanium nitride coating is supposed to provide parts with a harder more wear resistant surface, but I don't know if it actually works or not when it comes to AR bcg's.

Col_Crocs
02-18-13, 21:45
Thats a lot of vague and useless specs for $3000.

Magsz
02-19-13, 00:51
Tuning a Geiselle trigger is just stupid....stupid.

Yes, i said that twice.

kmrtnsn
02-19-13, 00:58
OP, I think "Tier One" in this instance refers to which shelf the rifle came off of in the stock room. I don't see anything about that spec list that can't be had for less than HALF that price.

Magz, it's be appropriate to repeat that a couple more times.

Raven Armament
02-19-13, 01:19
Searches found shitty websites with a bunch of Glocks. The "tier" references to ARs was not found. $3,000 for any AR15 is absolute insanity unless it's topped with 75% of that cost in Nightforce optics. Even at that rate it's sketchy as to the firearm itself.

Thought for the future: If you couldn't answer those questions yourself, why would you recommend them to your friend? Is it a case of "wow that's expensive. It must be good, buy that one"?

Put things in perspective... the Colt 6920 is the US military's M4 carbine with a 16 inch barrel instead of 14.5, and semi auto instead of full auto. Proven in combat for how many decades? Retails for $1100-1300 street price. Nearly triple that price is giving you what from a no name company? Swim through the marketing, ignore the bullshit, and look at the specs of a weapon that may one day save their life compared to other weapons that are all marketing rhetoric and nothing else.

uncle money bags
02-19-13, 01:30
Why cant you assume they could get a bad rifle? Because of the price?
Ig said it best. You cant fix stupid. I hope the op learns from his buds mistakes.
I predict this is a future closed thread as well.

Split66
02-19-13, 01:49
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbcslyKz691qzibzio1_1280.jpg

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/550x/36/7f/5f/367f5f320a235e0fa7c2a17fa8f6d281.jpg

Found a couple of pictures, for visual reference. Salient seems to be high on the TIN coating. It's a bit too "C3PO" on a fighting gun for my liking.....eh to each his own......

TomMcC
02-19-13, 02:19
SAI gears their guns toward the 3gun crowd. The lighten BCG is something seen in 3gun to reduce the recoil impulse.

TriviaMonster
02-19-13, 03:16
That forearm looks miserable, almost like a benchrest type hand guard. That plus a plain old Magpul CTR? I like the stock but not that much. Also, is it really a stippled A2 grip? Eww. Seems like a pretty much standard RR/DPMS/Bushy type gun for about $2200 extra. I would rather have a Stag 3G with the "milspec" whatever upgrade. Most of all I would rather have a 6920 or DDM4. Aww shit, if we are going fancy make mine a BCM Jack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rattlehead
02-19-13, 03:32
SAI gears their guns toward the 3gun crowd. The lighten BCG is something seen in 3gun to reduce the recoil impulse.

This - and the same goes for the handguard.

It's not my thing, nor something I'd spend my money on, but it is a gaming gun.

Iraqgunz
02-19-13, 03:46
This goes to show that people will buy anything in this market. The limits of silliness knows no bounds.

What is it that Forrest Gumps' mom said? Stupid is as stupid does.

Col_Crocs
02-19-13, 06:09
Indeed. I dont know what's worse, not having specs listed on their site or getting an ambiguous parts list after going out of your way to email them. They really should change their name to Senile Arms Intl.

thei3ug
02-19-13, 08:27
Tuning a Geiselle trigger is just stupid....stupid.

Yes, i said that twice.

Just stupid [twice]? Throw in a third for good measure. That is a major issue. I'd be very concerned,

Couple that with a TiN BCG and a stippled 16 grip, you have a real loser on your hands. I don't care who it is marketed to, 3 gun or not it's a waste at best.

markm
02-19-13, 08:30
Can someone explain why the BCG would be lightened and coated in TIN.

Because they are retards?

TiN sucks for BCGs. And lightening it is some match shooter gayness.

C4IGrant
02-19-13, 08:31
Thats a lot of vague and useless specs for $3000.

Bingo. No talk of steel used in the barrel or bolt. No talk of testing done.

MBUS sights are some of the cheapest BUIS's around (are good for what they are though). They couldn't even spring for a good grip? Texturing an A2 grip is like polishing a turd.

C4

markm
02-19-13, 08:34
At least they're not OUT RIGHT lying like LWRCi. Being vague and taking idiots' money isn't a crime.

T2C
02-19-13, 08:37
I did not see anything on the spec sheet or in the photos that would make me want to drop $3000 on their rifle. I would purchase a $1500 rifle and $1500 in ammunition.

JSantoro
02-19-13, 09:12
Went to update my previous thread, but it was closed.

Food for thought: Takes a staff member to do that, and he had to have done that for a viable reason. Flipping the bird to the staff by re-opening a previously closed thread seems...unwise.

Particularly given that you are capable of PM-ing to ask WHY such a thread might have been closed. Had you done so, you'd have gotten an answer.

Besides which, markm nailed it (TiN is some Thugnificent/Monsters Garage nonsense), so there's no need to try for this a 3rd time.