PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Police (.308)

CLHC
02-18-13, 21:56
Greetings M4C Members!

The local FFL arms dealer down the street from me has a NIB Remington 700P Rifle as indicated:

Barrel: 26" Heavy Contour Free Floating
Stock: Matte Black HS Precision Semi-Beaver Tail Palm Swell
Bedding: Aircraft Grade Aluminum Bedding Block
Optic: Leupold Mk III 3.5–10x40 Tactical (?)*
Price: $1299USD

Let me preface that I have no experience with nor do I know anything about bolt-action rifles. There are myriads of these on the market in varying configurations and an overwhelming abundance of accessories and optics for said rifle. What I was thinking is that this may be an entry level means to get me into long range shooting and will see how it proceeds from here/there. If all goes well, this may possibly serve as my first bolt-action rifle. If not, I can save up and wait.

Any thoughts on this specific rifle would be gratefully appreciated!

* Did a Google search for said scope but could not find any information. Possibly dealer meant Leupold Vari-X III?

C-grunt
02-18-13, 22:15
I think that's an older scope that they don't make anymore.

By the way you probably should have put this in the Precision rifle section.

CLHC
02-18-13, 22:16
I think that's an older scope that they don't make anymore.

By the way you probably should have put this in the Precision rifle section.
Thanks! Just noticed that soon after posting.

TheAxeShooter
02-18-13, 23:26
If you're just looking to shoot something new I'd say go for it. You can get entry level Remington 700s for around $600 though just so you know. But I always have a lot of fun shooting bolt action rifles. Maybe there are some cheaper options but the r700 gives a lot of bang for your buck. If you just want a 308 you can look into semi autos too. They are just as accurate with faster follow up shots.

CLHC
02-19-13, 15:03
If you're just looking to shoot something new I'd say go for it. You can get entry level Remington 700s for around $600 though just so you know. But I always have a lot of fun shooting bolt action rifles. Maybe there are some cheaper options but the r700 gives a lot of bang for your buck. If you just want a 308 you can look into semi autos too. They are just as accurate with faster follow up shots.
Thanks! They also have a NIB Remington 700SPS for near the price you mentioned.

B Cart
02-19-13, 16:02
I've had a Rem700PSS for a year now and love it. It is very accurate and has a good stock and trigger out of the box. It is easily a sub-MOA gun and I have taken it from 100 yards to past 1,000 yards with great results. For the money, it is a great gun IMO.15483

C-grunt
02-19-13, 18:40
I've had a Rem700PSS for a year now and love it. It is very accurate and has a good stock and trigger out of the box. It is easily a sub-MOA gun and I have taken it from 100 yards to past 1,000 yards with great results. For the money, it is a great gun IMO.15483

Where did you find your PSS? I'm in the market for one.

luvmy40
02-19-13, 21:20
Thanks! They also have a NIB Remington 700SPS for near the price you mentioned.

The SPS stock(Hogue over molded) is complete crap and will need to be replaced ASAP.

Bud's Gun shop lists the 700p sans optics and rings at $969.00(out of stock) so $1300.00 with the rings and glass installed doesn't sound too bad. But, I have no idea of the value of the Leupold scope.

Guns-up.50
02-20-13, 07:54
Where did you find your PSS? I'm in the market for one.

Good luck I have seen a few on gun broker but for the most part I had given up on them. I put a PBR on hold at my gun store and then a week later they came through and had a 700 pss I quickly snatched it up. other than that I do not seen many anymore

CLHC
02-20-13, 19:14
The SPS stock(Hogue over molded) is complete crap and will need to be replaced ASAP.

Bud's Gun shop lists the 700p sans optics and rings at $969.00(out of stock) so $1300.00 with the rings and glass installed doesn't sound too bad. But, I have no idea of the value of the Leupold scope.
Went to see the two rifles today. The scope says "Leupold Vari-X III Tactical" on the front bezel and the mount is Leupold. Also the Remington SPS looks like this one pictured but w/o the optic.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/Remington700SPS_zps19171afb.jpeg

Again both are brand new, and I'm still marinating.

Thanks all!

luvmy40
02-20-13, 19:27
Yeah, I'm not sure how rubbery that Hogue stock is. The SPS, AAC Hogue stock is like a Gumby doll.

I'd still bet that the 700P is the better package for the money but that's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

CLHC
02-20-13, 19:37
That latter rifle's stock is what I can describe as being "hard synthetic plastic" like. No "rubbery" feel to it. But what I'm thinking is that for my uses (target shooting only), the first one may be the ticket.