PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 or 3 glock 27

zombiescometh
02-19-13, 15:59
I have two possible buys both offering pretty much the same deal except one is a gen 2 and the other is gen 3. Does it matter which one i choose or is there really no difference except for the handle?

nickdrak
02-19-13, 16:02
They are both brutal little pistols. One of the nastiest little guns to shoot.

zombiescometh
02-19-13, 16:03
well that didnt really help at all lol

RyanB
02-19-13, 16:27
There are no Gen 2 subcompacts. The finger grooves and thumbrests of the Gen 3 were created to satisfy the points requirement to import the subcompacts.

bleaman225
02-19-13, 16:32
There's gen 2.5 (finger grooves with no texture on the "front strap")

zombiescometh
02-19-13, 16:34
^ above post is correct 2.5 just looked at the pictures no texture

bleaman225
02-19-13, 16:46
^ above post is correct 2.5 just looked at the pictures no texture

Cool, I'd probably get the 2.5 for the hell of it.

That decision is based on the simple fact that you'd have a Glock unlike most other people. I think the gen3 texturing would probably be beneficial to help grip that snappy little bastard but I would get the gen2.5

Ultimately it's your decision.

zombiescometh
02-19-13, 17:05
now i know its good to have replacement parts so would it be a good idea to buy both?

ST911
02-19-13, 17:13
Limited to the two choices offered, get the model with the front strap checkering. ("Generation" nomenclature is not clear or uniform here.)

If buying a new subcompact, I would look for a gen4, especially in the G27 or G33.

zombiescometh
02-19-13, 17:15
Limited to the two choices offered, get the model with the front strap checkering. ("Generation" nomenclature is not clear or uniform here.)

If buying a new subcompact, I would look for a gen4, especially in the G27 or G33.

Just curious why the gen 4?

Redstate
02-19-13, 20:07
If it were me, I would get the Gen 3. Newer and may possibly have upgraded parts in it. The texture in the finger grooves will likely help in holding on to it. The recoil is significantly more than the G26; however, it is easily managed for many, but not for some.

madisonsfinest
02-19-13, 20:18
I have a gen 2.5 Glock 17 that runs like a champ. Strong, consistent ejection. I bought mine new in 1999, so if you are guessing when the 2.5's were out that would be the time frame. Now I had a Gen 3 22 that didn't like the TLR1 mounted on it. Replaced the mag spring, and rsa and it began to run fine. Switched to a Gen 4 22 anyway and it ran flawlessly. I had a Gen 3 27 and I never had a problem with that gun either. It is snappy so I would recommend putting on a textured grip like the Talon Grip. It made quite a bit of difference for me.

zombiescometh
02-19-13, 20:19
I have a gen 2.5 Glock 17 that runs like a champ. Strong, consistent ejection. I bought mine new in 1999, so if you are guessing when the 2.5's were out that would be the time frame. Now I had a Gen 3 22 that didn't like the TLR1 mounted on it. Replaced the mag spring, and rsa and it began to run fine. Switched to a Gen 4 22 anyway and it ran flawlessly. I had a Gen 3 27 and I never had a problem with that gun either. It is snappy so I would recommend putting on a textured grip like the Talon Grip. It made quite a bit of difference for me.

yeah im thinking i might add a grip force adapter as well.

Atlshaun
02-19-13, 20:39
I would get the 3

1_click_off
02-19-13, 20:42
Thought
Gen 2 had finger groves
Gen 2.5 had textured finger grooves
Gen 3 had textured finger grooves and light rail.

If the above it true, I have a 2.5.

RagweedZulu
02-19-13, 20:55
They are both brutal little pistols. One of the nastiest little guns to shoot.

Seriously? I hope you're joking. There's nothing brutal about the .40 Glocks unless you're made of porcelain. It blows my mind to hear people say these guns are harsh. My 27 is possibly my favorite range gun I own, and I shoot all calibers out there. There is recoil, but its really not all that much more than a 9mm, and God knows reading these forums, the 9mm is the blue ribbon king of all calibers since its so controllable. Love my Gen2.5 27. Carry it on and off duty almost daily.

madisonsfinest
02-19-13, 21:16
Thought
Gen 2 had finger groves

Gen 2.5 has light rails

zombiescometh
02-19-13, 21:30
Gen 2.5 has light rails

Ok so I was right the first time. So a gen 2 has finger grooves without texture and no light rail.

SPDGG
02-19-13, 21:46
fwiw: Doesn't matter the Gen of G26/G27, None came with a light rail.

imho: If you have the option, Get the one that's a better deal for you. Not just the price to consider, but condition as well.

ST911
02-19-13, 23:09
If it were me, I would get the Gen 3. Newer and may possibly have upgraded parts in it. The texture in the finger grooves will likely help in holding on to it. The recoil is significantly more than the G26; however, it is easily managed for many, but not for some.

There are no upgraded parts in the G27 with the front strap checkering that aren't present in the previous version. There is no difference otherwise, unless the guns have since gotten an LCI.

Thought
Gen 2 had finger groves

Ok so I was right the first time. So a gen 2 has finger grooves without texture and no light rail.

No light rail on the subs released.

Once again, the "generation" label doesn't apply here and probably shouldn't be used. A creation of the marketplace, it doesn't really have any definitive meaning until the current "gen4." Trying to use a generation label with the transitionals, i.e. 2.#, 3.#, is nearly worthless.

You have subs with frontstrap checkering, or not. Then you have gen4s. That's it.

zombiescometh
02-20-13, 00:19
^ a very good point. Looks like ill be choosing the older glock since he just offered 100 rounds with the purchase. Thanks for suggestions and debate.

whick1
02-20-13, 11:24
Seriously? I hope you're joking. There's nothing brutal about the .40 Glocks unless you're made of porcelain. It blows my mind to hear people say these guns are harsh. My 27 is possibly my favorite range gun I own, and I shoot all calibers out there. There is recoil, but its really not all that much more than a 9mm, and God knows reading these forums, the 9mm is the blue ribbon king of all calibers since its so controllable. Love my Gen2.5 27. Carry it on and off duty almost daily.

I agree the 27's recoil is not that bad. I can shot the 27 better than the 26 my uncle has and even have quicker follow up shots with the 27. But to each his own but for me I love my 40s. Pack a 22 and 40 everyday on duty and a 27 off duty. Great guns

ST911
02-20-13, 11:30
I agree the 27's recoil is not that bad. I can shot the 27 better than the 26 my uncle has and even have quicker follow up shots with the 27.

Have you shot the two for comparison on a timer with a specific test or drill?

madisonsfinest
02-20-13, 16:42
Pretty hard to believe you could get follow up shots faster with a 27 over a 26