PDA

View Full Version : Modifying 6920 upper

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 17:17
I have a question as far as this goes as well, better to ask in here than start a new post... I was a fairly competent mechanic before I became an EMT assuming I can stumble across all the barrel nut torque specs and I already bought a vice block dpms multi tool front site base block
how difficult of a change over would it be to put a 15'' nsr on this thing I have a 6920 as well? Is it simply as easy as punching out the gas pin front sire post pins removing the barrel nut, taking my barrel to adco (local to me ) have them pin the low pro gas block. I feel confident up to this point for sure... But re-installation is where I hear problems come in from head spacing... Is this something that can be done with out the proper feeler guages with the factory barrel easily? :meeting:

samuse
02-19-13, 19:16
If ADCO was that close I'd have them do all of it.

If ADCO was that close I'd prolly be broke!

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 19:36
Spent my fair share there, I bought My Kriss Vector there and other misc things there, Probably going to be alot of money spent there soon as I Want to build a .300 sbr

Iraqgunz
02-19-13, 20:18
I recommend that if you insist on modifying it, that you should have the FSB removed to install the NSR and then cut and grind the FSB and use it as a gas block.

I would personally not want to use the NSR w/o the anti-rotation feature, but that's simply a personal preference.

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 21:06
I recommend that if you insist on modifying it, that you should have the FSB removed to install the NSR and then cut and grind the FSB and use it as a gas block.

I would personally not want to use the NSR w/o the anti-rotation feature, but that's simply a personal preference.

The bar does not have anything to stop rotation on it ?

markm
02-19-13, 21:27
The NSR or "Not a Serious Rail" as I call it does not have any anti rotational feature.

In fact... if you have the nut a few degrees off of perfect TDC... you can time the rail before final torque on the screws.

I have no idea why people are pissing themselves over this thing. :rolleyes:

Koshinn
02-19-13, 21:30
The NSR or "Not a Serious Rail" as I call it does not have any anti rotational feature.

Incorrect.

It just requires a Noveske MUR, Rainier Billet Match upper, or a drill.

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 21:43
damn everyone I have talked to pretty much told me this was the rail I had to get I just spend $325 on it, what rail would you guys recommend I am looking for a 15'' rail that does not weigh as much as a cinder block and i guess one that has a anti rotation feature?

TheAxeShooter
02-19-13, 21:57
damn everyone I have talked to pretty much told me this was the rail I had to get I just spend $325 on it, what rail would you guys recommend I am looking for a 15'' rail that does not weigh as much as a cinder block and i guess one that has a anti rotation feature?

Check out the Giessele SMR or knights URX3.1. There's a bunch of free float rails out there. Pretty tough to find right now though. Also you didn't waste your money on the NSR. If you decide you want a different hand guard you can easily get all your money back on the NSR.

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 22:13
Check out the Giessele SMR or knights URX3.1. There's a bunch of free float rails out there. Pretty tough to find right now though. Also you didn't waste your money on the NSR. If you decide you want a different hand guard you can easily get all your money back on the NSR.

I just took a look at the URX 3.1 and I am liking that one a lot price is less that what I spent too I m just going to have to keep an eye out for one

TheAxeShooter
02-19-13, 22:16
I just took a look at the URX 3.1 and I am liking that one a lot price is less that what I spent too I m just going to have to keep an eye out for one

Well for the URX you'll have to either buy a proprietary tool to install it or have someone do it for you. I know operationparts does the install for $50. ADCO could probably do it as well though.

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 22:21
Well for the URX you'll have to either buy a proprietary tool to install it or have someone do it for you. I know operationparts does the install for $50. ADCO could probably do it as well though.

How much is the tool, I have been wanting to learn how to build an AR from ground up so it might not be bad to just get the tool, on the other hand adco is right in my back yard...

Koshinn
02-19-13, 22:30
How much is the tool, I have been wanting to learn how to build an AR from ground up so it might not be bad to just get the tool, on the other hand adco is right in my back yard...

$150 for the urx wrench iirc. More if you want their proprietary vise block. Use adco.

TheAxeShooter
02-19-13, 22:33

Pretty sure it's right around $100. Pretty expensive but worth it if you plan on messing with it. Give ADCO a call and see how mich they'd charge.

EchoHotel
02-19-13, 22:56
Pretty sure it's right around $100. Pretty expensive but worth it if you plan on messing with it. Give ADCO a call and see how mich they'd charge.

Money wise it is not the.most expensive tool I have looked at buying I might have to see what adco would charge though as I would rather put that 100-150 into some more ammo

TheAxeShooter
02-19-13, 23:44
Money wise it is not the.most expensive tool I have looked at buying I might have to see what adco would charge though as I would rather put that 100-150 into some more ammo

Found it. I was off by $20. But yes, if you go that route I'd put the rest of the money into ammo. I think ADCO is the way to go for that.

markm
02-20-13, 06:43
Incorrect.

It just requires a Noveske MUR, Rainier Billet Match upper, or a drill.

Incorrect... I put an NSR on a Noveske MUR. I timed it as described.

markm
02-20-13, 06:46
Check out the Giessele

Agreed. With the Geissele you don't have to mess with this keymod crap for the most part.

I think the anti rotational issue is over-worried about... I don't see any of these suckers moving unless there's a hard impact.

ryr8828
02-20-13, 06:49
Don't get rid of or grind down that wonderful front sight post gas block.

Just get an FSP rail and leave it on there.

EchoHotel
02-20-13, 08:49
Don't get rid of or grind down that wonderful front sight post gas block.

Just get an FSP rail and leave it on there.

Not really interested in having a front site post I would rather troy buis pushed all the way to the front of a 15 inch rail for better accuracy

munch520
02-20-13, 09:53
Not really interested in having a front site post I would rather troy buis pushed all the way to the front of a 15 inch rail for better accuracy

Hey man, PM sent. If you need tools or a bench to work at etc. let me know. No need to go to ADCO for this. I'd recommend doing the work yourself - even cutting/grinding the FSB can be done easily without sending the upper away for work.

For what you're talking about, I'd look at a Geissele rail or Daniel Defense MFR. An even easier install option would be a 12" Centurion C4, you wouldn't even have to mess with the barrel nut. The C4 rail IMO is one of the best for the money. If you'd like to get hands on a Centurion or DD MFR before making a decision let me know.

TheAxeShooter
02-20-13, 20:22
Hey man, PM sent. If you need tools or a bench to work at etc. let me know. No need to go to ADCO for this. I'd recommend doing the work yourself - even cutting/grinding the FSB can be done easily without sending the upper away for work.

For what you're talking about, I'd look at a Geissele rail or Daniel Defense MFR. An even easier install option would be a 12" Centurion C4, you wouldn't even have to mess with the barrel nut. The C4 rail IMO is one of the best for the money. If you'd like to get hands on a Centurion or DD MFR before making a decision let me know.

Damn that's a pretty cool offer I'd take him up! I've been looking at the Giessele for a while now. You really can't go wrong with it. But this guy hit it all right on the money. DD makes some great rails also. I have no experience with centurion though.

DasBulk
02-20-13, 20:52
If you haven't considered it, and you may have and I missed it, the Troy TRX Alpha is very nice... pretty easy to install too.

I used the wrench that came with it, my 4.5" grinder with a cutoff wheel , and a hammer and punch. Took about thirty minutes all total.
No need to remove your barrel nut at all.
Taper pinned FSB, shaved down and blued underneath the TRX. Awesome product.

The only thing I don't like is how long it took me to buck up and ditch my MOE carbine hand guard in favor of it.
For reference, my 6920.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/DarynRodriguez/IMG_0384_zps9c6393da.jpg

Airhasz
02-20-13, 21:44
Nice decision on the troy rail, your rifle has me eyeing my cutoff wheel more and more...:p

EchoHotel
02-20-13, 23:02
I am definitely going to take much up on the offer once I get a week end of and get a new rail, I am surprised it didnt take long for me to find a taker for that nsr called my friend and he had it sold for me in a couple hours, now i am in search for the kac urx 3.1