PDA

View Full Version : Post need approval by a moderator...

El Pistolero
02-19-13, 18:14
Hello,

Today I tried to post and after hitting 'Submit' it told me my post would have to be approved by a moderator before appearing in the thread. What gives? I posted again in the same thread with no problems.

This is the second time it has happened to me. The first time was in a thread talking about other message boards and that thread came to be deleted (understandably) so I never got to see if my post actually made it or not.

JSantoro
02-20-13, 08:52
It's a hiccup.

Some others were noting the same thing, some weeks ago, but it's not something being intentionally implemented.

If it happens again, capture the screen-shot and let us know about it.

Zhurdan
02-20-13, 10:59
If I recall correctly, it was people who were posting a list of email addresses (a lot of them) for people to send letters to.

It may be forum software taking a double check. I know the forum software I used to use did that to keep spammers at bay.

Packman73
02-20-13, 11:14
I get that message whenever I post a pic. I have to write a message first, then edit in my pic. A little annoying but at least it's not just me.

El Pistolero
02-20-13, 11:47
Okay thanks. I had a feeling it was some kind of censorship and that if I went around it and posted my message anyways that I would be in some kInd of violation. I'll screenshot it next time.

El Pistolero
02-20-13, 15:14
It happened again, in the same thread, go figure. I tried to post, and it took me to this screen. It redirected before I could get a screenshot, so I tried to post again in the same thread, and got a screenshot as requested:

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15507&stc=1&d=1361394872

warpigM-4
02-20-13, 15:17
happen to me once in GD but I thought it was just the amount of traffic that day i have not had it happen since

Safetyhit
02-21-13, 16:53
I'm usually content to wait these things out but it keeps happening over and over.

Might it be associated with posts including email addresses? Think I may see a pattern, but may also be coincidence.

FlyingHunter
02-23-13, 11:42
It happened again, in the same thread, go figure. I tried to post, and it took me to this screen. It redirected before I could get a screenshot, so I tried to post again in the same thread, and got a screenshot as requested:

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15507&stc=1&d=1361394872

FYI...Got the same thing today...1st time I've ever seen this.

SHIVAN
02-23-13, 12:27
It has to do with an anti-spam filter in the site software. I am manually approving them.

I don't know what trips it, but it is probably some sort of character count when a link, or multiple links, are detected.

However, sometimes a link is not present, but the IP address from which a person is posting must be on some sort of "no fly" list. :p

taliv
03-10-13, 22:09
happened to me a few minutes ago. my post contained 3 links (embedded pics)

Bigninja
03-24-13, 01:44
Just had this happen as well. Figured it was because of my noob status.

kwelz
04-02-13, 10:55
Just happened to me.

SHIVAN
04-02-13, 15:14
Lots of urls in a post seem to be one trigger, other triggers seem to be IP similarities between spammers and a poster's currently assigned IP address.

I go through and approve posts on a relatively regular basis.

tater
04-20-13, 13:42
administraters---please allow me to post

Littlelebowski
04-20-13, 14:02
administraters---please allow me to post

Try reading the rules.

Littlelebowski
04-20-13, 14:32
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Why+can%27t+I+post+site%3AM4Carbine.net+#seen

Army Chief
05-07-13, 16:49
If you run into this in an open area of the site, we ned to know which board and thread you were attempting to post into. It may just be that some restrictive settings were inadvertently activated in a particular area.

If you are posting in the "Ask the SME" area, ALL posts there are now moderated, to prevent members from having to PM their questions to a staffer for pre-approval. The ROE for this section has been updated to reflect the change.

AC

Littlelebowski
05-07-13, 16:55
I can name at least two new members with under 200 posts that are posting in GD. Both are LE; is this a new rule?

Army Chief
05-07-13, 16:58
Negative. That is almost certainly a software settings issue. When a member is added to a certain user groups they pick up different access rights -- whatever is associated with that group. Sounds like LE has something switched on that is allowing folks to slip in the side door. I'll take a look.

AC

El Pistolero
05-21-13, 21:01
This just happened to me again while trying to post in GD. I suspect it's because I had a picture in my post that I linked from my attachments folder off another board I'm on. Regardless, I tried three times and gave up.

Ryno12
05-21-13, 21:39
the post restrictions are confusing :(

Wow, then you're in for one tough ride. Read the rules, it's pretty much straight forward.

Sent via Tapatalk

Army Chief
05-22-13, 08:17
Wow, then you're in for one tough ride. Read the rules ...

Actually, I believe the member in question has already earned himself a time out for post-whoring, since virtually all of us contributions were one-liners made within a 24-hour period. Then, to no one's great surprise, he apparently showed up in EE. Some folks catch on to the idea of "productive posting activity" just a bit later than most.

AC

Ryno12
05-22-13, 08:29
Actually, I believe the member in question has already earned himself a time out for post-whoring, since virtually all of us contributions were one-liners made within a 24-hour period. Then, to no one's great surprise, he apparently showed up in EE. Some folks catch on to the idea of "productive posting activity" just a bit later than most.

AC

Yeah, I happened to notice that last night. I woke this morning to see you guys were on to him. Good job mods! ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

T2C
06-13-13, 22:02
I posted a comment on a thread and a few minutes later when I checked for other member's posts, my post disappeared. Is the computer glitch still an issue?

JSantoro
06-13-13, 22:16
What thread?

T2C
06-13-13, 22:24
What thread?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132956

JSantoro
06-13-13, 22:33
Yours is currently the last post in the thread, #27, time-stamp of 2251...

Did you post again, or is that your original post showing up late?

Did you see a "post needs approval..." message upon submission? If not, something else happened.

T2C
06-13-13, 22:37
Yours is currently the last post in the thread, #27, time-stamp of 2251...

Did you post again, or is that your original post showing up late?

Did you see a "post needs approval..." message upon submission? If not, something else happened.

I did not see a "post needs approval" message. I posted on the first page of the thread. After I submitted the post I was able to read it. I left the thread, came back and the post was gone. I do not know the post number. Post 27 was my second post on the thread.

JSantoro
06-13-13, 22:46
I got nuthin'... With this one, some posts showed late, but all got the "needs approval" message.

That condition IS active, but only in Ask the SME.

SHIVAN
06-13-13, 22:59
I just approved a bunch of posts that "required approval" due to too many URL's in the posts, or likely a match to a known IP address that has been listed in our spam filters.

If any posts are still missing, they were either edited out due to content, or lost in some other anomaly.

There are still some pending threads for the SME forum.

titsonritz
06-26-13, 11:32
I just had this problem happen to me. I didn't catch what the pop-up said but noticed my post did not take and just assume I screwed up. I retried to post and the same thing happened. I thought it was a "new feature" so I came here, found this thread and recognized the pop-up. After reading it I reposted without the URLs and the post took, I then edited my post to add the URLs and they all took. So Mods, if you find a couple of my posts in cyber-space feel free to chuck them out. Thanks.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1680774#post1680774

Mac5.56
06-29-13, 23:57
This just happened to me. I figured it was cause I'm one long winded mo fo and maybe I wrote down too many words for the NSA to be content with just letting me post willy nilly... ;)

But seriously. I just had it happen to me as well. The only thing I did differently was I linked to a forum I follow for my truck called: tacomaworld.com. It seems to use the same programming as this site. Either way, FYI this is still going on.

Please solve this problem, the world needs to know how I just bought a killer polymer storage bin... ;)

Mac5.56
06-29-13, 23:58
And it happened with my last post here too.

The_War_Wagon
08-03-13, 16:54
If you run into this in an open area of the site, we ned to know which board and thread you were attempting to post into. It may just be that some restrictive settings were inadvertently activated in a particular area. AC

OK - just happened to me in the "Disaster Preparation & Planning" section - the solar flare thread in particular - 17:50 EST.

Army Chief
08-03-13, 18:48
Don't see anything awaiting moderation, and can see that you were able to post into the thread, but as we say in the aviation business "fly it and watch it." If you run into this again, just send up a flare.

AC

dash1
08-03-13, 20:04
OK - just happened to me in the "Disaster Preparation & Planning" section - the solar flare thread in particular - 17:50 EST.

Happened to me too. Same thread, right after yours.

dash1
08-04-13, 15:02
My post from last night has not been added to this thread, though others are able to post.

Also I am at or over 200 posts but can't post in GD.

Army Chief
08-04-13, 15:14
Default settings allow the staff to see pending posts before they become publicly viewable, and I didn't spot the little icon that should have informed me (and other staffers) that your post had been inadvertently flagged as "spam." I thought it was already hanging on the board and visible to all, as per normal.

I manually approved it, will run the traps on the spam filter again and try to watch specifically for this in the future.

GD issue should now be fixed.

AC

jpmuscle
08-07-13, 16:08
Just a heads up to the mods I received the same Post pending moderator approval notification a few minutes ago whilst attempting to post a couple photos in the motorcycle thread in the GD.

- John

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51083&page=5

SeriousStudent
08-07-13, 19:07
Just a heads up to the mods I received the same Post pending moderator approval notification a few minutes ago whilst attempting to post a couple photos in the motorcycle thread in the GD.

- John

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51083&page=5

Your post got marked as spam. I approved it. I wonder if it was the ginormous pics?

I have seen posts with really long URL's or lots of links or email addresses get marked as spam. But you did not seem to have any of those.

I wonder if you used smaller pics, if it would do the same thing?

Grizzlyatoms
08-07-13, 19:18
I have had problems replying or making posts

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
08-07-13, 19:45
I have had problems replying or making posts

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

An example is helpful when troubleshooting.

What thread were you trying to reply to? What forum were you trying to post in?

You need a minimum of 200 posts to reply or post a thread in General Discussion. You need a minimum of 30 meaningful posts to start an ad in the Equipment Exchange. Only the original poster can reply to a thread in the Equipment Exchange. And all that info is stickied in the EE and GD subforums.

jpmuscle
08-07-13, 21:30
Your post got marked as spam. I approved it. I wonder if it was the ginormous pics?

I have seen posts with really long URL's or lots of links or email addresses get marked as spam. But you did not seem to have any of those.

I wonder if you used smaller pics, if it would do the same thing?

Serious,

Next go around Ill try and resize them and see what happens. I shall report back.

Ridgerunner665
08-07-13, 22:52
A side note regarding ginormous pics...

99.9% of my internet browsing and forum posting is done on my phone these days...it is also my camera, but it only has 2 settings for picture size...6mp and 8mp...both are huge.

They fit the forum display fine in Tapatalk but often show up huge on the regular browser depending on forum software settings (some auto resize).

Everybody may have already known that...but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Krull
08-10-13, 04:34
I got one,didn't get a screen shot but the post,for lack of a better description,evaporated.

It was in the EE was going to do a little trading.

JSantoro
08-10-13, 07:38
Re-read the EE rules posted at the top of each section. If you're trying to post in a thread you didn't start...you can't.

Krull
08-10-13, 17:44
Re-read the EE rules posted at the top of each section. If you're trying to post in a thread you didn't start...you can't.

No I have a Rogers Super Stoc I want to trade off so I was trying to post it,got the same message that was screen saved awhile back.

Think I should repost?

jpmuscle
09-14-13, 13:51
JSantoro,

Just an FYI but I just received the "post must be approved by moderator" notification in the 9/11 anniversary thread, I've posted in other threads just recently without issue so perhaps a glitch of some sort.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=138427&page=4

Army Chief
09-14-13, 14:50
This is usually tripped by oversized or multiple photo attachments, but I don't see that as applicable to the post in question. Odd.

AC

jpmuscle
09-14-13, 15:12
This is usually tripped by oversized or multiple photo attachments, but I don't see that as applicable to the post in question. Odd.

AC

Odd indeed.

guitarist1993
10-09-13, 22:46
I've had the same "your post must be approved" error a few times as well, once in the AR General Discussion here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=140123

and twice in the Technical forum in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=138722

The posts in the technical thread had pictures, although there was only one in the most recent. The ARGD one did not.

ETA: I tried posting again in my "BCG binding in upper" thread. It appeared to go through, I even went back to confirm my post was there. A few minutes later, it's as if I never posted it. No bump up, nada.

ColtSeavers
10-10-13, 09:49
It is happening to me when trying to reply to the 'Billet lower receceivers' thread and 'Best comp' threads in AR General discussion today.

ColtSeavers
10-10-13, 09:50
Can't even reply to this thread without it happening.

ColtSeavers
10-10-13, 10:34
Happening to me in AR General Discussion 'Billet receivers' and 'Best comp' threads as well as this thread today.

ColtSeavers
10-10-13, 12:42
Happening to me in AR General Discussion 'Billet receivers' and 'Best comp' threads as well as this thread today.

SeriousStudent
10-10-13, 22:10
Interesting, I just approved three of ColtSeavers' posts in this thread, they had been marked as spam. He was right.

You wouldn't happen to be a telemarketer in real life, would you? :p

ColtSeavers
10-11-13, 09:40
Interesting, I just approved three of ColtSeavers' posts in this thread, they had been marked as spam. He was right.

You wouldn't happen to be a telemarketer in real life, would you? :p

Sorry about that, found it frustrating that I couldn't even report the problem in the appropriate thread and went caveman brute force approach :(

Not a telemarketer :D

ColtSeavers
10-16-13, 23:49
Problem is occuring for me right now in general chat while trying to reply to ar15performance 16" .223 wylde barrel experience thread.

Army Chief
10-17-13, 06:26
Checked your posts and your account settings. Everything checked out, and there were/are no specific moderation triggers active that I could see.

Approved the pending posts. Please keep us posted if this continues for whatever reason.

AC

JSantoro
10-18-13, 08:14
This is pretty clearly a current and ongoing thing, so I re-opened the thread.

Army Chief
10-18-13, 09:43
We are drawing ever-nearer to the site rollover/upgrade, so hang in there just a bit longer, gents. May have the fixes to some of these nagging issues right around the corner.

AC

platoonDaddy
10-24-13, 16:08
Post needs approved my moderator: Just happened to me within the last 5 minutes, resulting in posting the thread twice. :confused:

SeriousStudent
10-24-13, 16:34
I approved your post.

I think the issue was the fact that all you did was post a link to the story, with just a few words. That looks a LOT like spam, and likely why the vBulletin software stopped it.

I deleted your duplicate post, and approved one of them.

So basically - self-inflicted wound. ;)

platoonDaddy
10-24-13, 17:10
So basically - self-inflicted wound. ;)

Been there, done that. :)

Mbmadness
10-24-13, 17:32
I had to wait a few days to get accepted to the forum . Must he busy

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
10-24-13, 19:36
I had to wait a few days to get accepted to the forum . Must he busy