PDA

View Full Version : Vertices fore grip vs magpul afg2

Jnedrow
02-19-13, 20:10
Thoughts on magpul afg2 vs a vertical foregrip?

WillHines
02-19-13, 20:13
Thoughts on magpul afg2 vs a vertical foregrip?

entirely personal preference, but I don't use either. Buy both, try them. Worst case, you're out 40 bucks and you've learned something.

Jnedrow
02-19-13, 20:17
I currently have a vertical foregrip and really like it, however some folks I talk to have tried to sway me to the afg2. I may give it a try and see what I discover. Thanks

Vandal
02-19-13, 20:24
I went from the VFG to the AFG2 after shooting with both. It boils down to personal preference and I like the AFG2 better.

bambambam
02-19-13, 20:26
I just put the afg on my rifle,takes a little getting used to.But overall I prefer it to the verticle grip.

Egret18
02-19-13, 20:34
I just put the afg on my rifle,takes a little getting used to.But overall I prefer it to the verticle grip.
I agree. With the AFG2 I feel I get a more positive grip on the upper.

snakedoctor
02-19-13, 21:19
I have tried them all and now I actually prefer a handstop over anything. Magpul's new XTM Handstop kit is worth looking at. I found myself only using the handstop and leaving the XTM panels in the box.

VIP3R 237
02-19-13, 21:26
I have tried them all and now I actually prefer a handstop over anything. Magpul's new XTM Handstop kit is worth looking at. I found myself only using the handstop and leaving the XTM panels in the box.

Same here. I started out using a VFG, then after watching all the cool guys run AFG's I tried that out for a bit, but I found that a simple handstop works best for me. The AFG tweaks my wrist just enough that it gets uncomfortable. Another alternative to the AFG is Strike Industries Cobra, while not as many fan boys use it I think it is a slightly more functional design.

thehun
02-19-13, 21:35
It is all about you and how you want to index your grip....I do not use a vertical grip as a vertical grip if that makes any sense.

AFGs work better if you have a full length rail...if you do not it is very awkward for my reach

Endur
02-19-13, 21:42
AFG hands down but like previously said, user preference.

El Pistolero
02-19-13, 21:46
I tried to go the AFG route but didn't like it, I just couldn't get used to it, and it felt awkward. I went back to the vertical grip, though I use it almost like a handstop, like in the lower left picture here:

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7804/afg8.jpg

It really is just personal preference. I don't think neither is better than the other.

TheAxeShooter
02-19-13, 22:02
My personal preference is either a handstop or just nothing at all.. I hate shooting with vertical grips. I feel like I have no control over my rifle with it. Never shot with an Afg though, guess I'm a bit reluctant to try it.

slamd095
02-19-13, 22:28
De'ja vu...again.

It really boils down to what you prefer. I have ran both, but prefer the AFG. Either isnt going to make you shoot better, or give you an advantage over another. Purchase one, or borrow one, and give it a go. Everyone of us will tell you something different..but the proof is trying each one, but give it time to adjust to each one to make a fair assessment.

hwaya
02-19-13, 22:55
I used to run one, but didn't like it as the angle prevented me from really digging the rifle into my shoulder. I then started running nothing and shot a lot better. Another thing for me is that the AFG spread out my grip more so i would have less strength to grip the hand guard (I do thumb over bore).

Right now I run a VFG midway on my handguard just to aid me in shooting under barricades, not using it during regular shooting.

Jolly Roger
02-19-13, 22:58
definitely preference thing. AFG just feels awkward to me.

Col_Crocs
02-19-13, 23:50
I currently have a vertical foregrip and really like it, however some folks I talk to have tried to sway me to the afg2. I may give it a try and see what I discover. Thanks

I would pester those folks to lend you one of theirs, run it for a while, and experience first hand what the fuss is all about.:)
It's a personal thing like everyone above says. Neither is for everyone, neither is for every gun. You kind of have to figure out what feels and works best for the way you shoot and how your rig is configured.
I run an afg. I like it for my specific set up and shooting style. It's so specific for me though that if i ever switched configs, i would probably give the vfg the first go. on the otherhand, I have a friend who runs a vfg on a shorter rail and an afg on longer ones.

Burls
02-20-13, 00:56
I've run both an afg and a vh. I liked both of them but I still found myself holding onto the mag well. My accuracy isn't effected whether I'm using plain all MOE hg, afg, vh or mag well. Just my 2 cents.

T2C
02-20-13, 07:47
I prefer a hand stop or nothing at all. It's personal preference and how you were trained.

Brahmzy
02-20-13, 07:48
Tried both AFGs, hated 'em. Felt like I was holding a small football at the end on my rifle. Nothing at all, magwell hold or a stubby VFG as a handstop for me, depending on the rifle.

markm
02-20-13, 07:55
You get you some of this action! :cool:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/abbo_zps08842d9b.jpg

Panoptes
02-20-13, 08:08
I prefer neither. Less (cr*p) is more!

T2C
02-20-13, 08:16

Same here. My favorite rifle is set up with a light and optic and nothing more.

markm
02-20-13, 08:16

Absolutely.

waffentomas
02-20-13, 10:26
I tried the AFG2 and hated it, returned it, and got the vertical, hated it more. I went back to the AFG2 just to see. Magpul doesn't just make this stuff up for the hell of it, so it must have, I surmised, some redeeming benefits.

Though I do like it a lot now, what I like most about it has nothing to do with shooting the rifle, but the very natural, and very comfortable, position it puts my wrist and forearm in when carrying the rifle at a low port arms.

Tom