PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly body armor test

AndrewWiggin
02-20-13, 11:26
(mods I wasn't sure where to put this as it kinda addresses a few topics please move it where it belongs, sorry for the trouble)

In a thread on another gun forum, a user showed us that floor tiles could be used to stop rifle rounds. I decided to test whether it was possible to make homemade "body armor" that would actually work. I'm pleasantly surprised by the results.

I used three PEI grade V porcelain floor tiles with a coat of Herculiner on the front and between tiles and a thick coat (about a quarter inch) on the back to capture fragments. I placed a paper grocery bag behind (to see if anything came through) and shot it at about twenty feet with .223, 7.62x39mm, and .40 S&W. Unfortunately, I didn't know the close range POI on my AK as well as on my AR so I had to shoot it three times with the AK to get a hit where I wanted. The reason is that the first shot was too close to both edges and caused the whole corner to bend back into the paper. I don't *think* the bullet made it through but I couldn't be sure until the third shot.

Afterward, I shot it with an additional ten rounds of .40 and not a single round made it through.

This stuff did quite a bit better than I expected.

Video of test (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmyCfB_k5I)

darr3239
02-20-13, 11:42
Interesting. About how much did that thing weigh?

Litpipe
02-20-13, 11:54
Very interesting. I wonder if you could play around with layers to get some weight down...perhaps some kevlar between the tiles to help with that.

darr3239
02-20-13, 12:03
Hillbillys don't have Kevlar! :sarcastic:

Atg336
02-20-13, 12:11
I applaud you sir! Very field expedient and cheap! Also interested in the weight.
I'll have to give that a try...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070213215709/bttf/images/1/1f/Clint_plate.jpg

AndrewWiggin
02-20-13, 14:05
Three tiles weigh about 12 lbs without the bed liner but for the next iteration, I plan to use only two tiles, less bed liner, and cut them to 10"x12" "shooter's cut." I'll also use an HDPE cutting board as the last layer to stop any remaining fragments.

talaananthes
02-20-13, 14:10
Nice! Got pix?

Shao
02-20-13, 14:15
Forget body armor, you should line your walls with that.

talaananthes
02-20-13, 14:19
Doors anyway lol.

Shao
02-20-13, 14:26
Physics man... gotta love it... I remember one drunken night showing off to some friends. I wanted to prove that I could do a one inch punch (Bruce Lee style) through a grade V tile. I had my friend hold it, I positioned myself, put my fist 1" away, built up some chi and blasted through the tile like nothing - resulting in an almost instantaneous geyser of blood shooting from my wrist where I had over-extended and cut myself on a shard of porcelain (Lesson learned: boards don't hit back, but tiles can **** you up). If I were to do the same punch to a person, I'd probably just knock them on their ass, yet the same tiles can stop bullets.

talaananthes
02-20-13, 14:27
Bullets don't kill you with momentum, punches do. ;)

talaananthes
02-20-13, 14:28
Ever seen the Vietnam era video of the guy taking a .308 round to the chest point blank with a bullet proof vest on while standing on his toes? And when it hits him he just barely rocks backwards, doesn't even fall over? Balls, we call it.

Zhurdan
02-20-13, 14:38
Ever seen the Vietnam era video of the guy taking a .308 round to the chest point blank with a bullet proof vest on while standing on his toes? And when it hits him he just barely rocks backwards, doesn't even fall over? Balls, we call it.

Most of us call it Physics. :D

talaananthes
02-20-13, 14:42
That would be an equally appropriate label. :p

talaananthes
02-20-13, 14:43
Taking a .308 round to the chest at about a meter range?

I think that qualifies as balls too. :p

nova3930
02-20-13, 15:04
With the two tiles, you might try finding a way to put a small air gap between them.

One of my college professors designed some of the impact shielding for the space station. Those designs incorporated a lot of thin layers with air gaps because as odd as it sounds, it's pound for pound better at dissipating high velocity impacts than a solid shield. I never did get a complete run down of the physics behind it so I don't know that it will translate to rifle bullet level impacts but it's worth a test.

Atg336
02-20-13, 16:15
Three tiles weigh about 12 lbs without the bed liner but for the next iteration, I plan to use only two tiles, less bed liner, and cut them to 10"x12" "shooter's cut." I'll also use an HDPE cutting board as the last layer to stop any remaining fragments.

As Nova said, look into air gaps, could further reduce weight, but would add a bit more width and bulk. Gonna have to go to HomeCheapo and try something similar (I live in CT, and they're thinking of passing some nonsense complete ban on body armor for civies, the last I checked.)

loaded6shooter
02-20-13, 16:31
MAAAAAAN lol i was hoping to come in here and watch some redneck take one to the chest :lol:

AndrewWiggin
02-20-13, 16:38
Nice! Got pix?

There are several pics in the video. If you want something specific, let me know and I'll upload it or take a picture of what's left of the "plate."

Badger89
02-20-13, 16:38
With the two tiles, you might try finding a way to put a small air gap between them.

One of my college professors designed some of the impact shielding for the space station. Those designs incorporated a lot of thin layers with air gaps because as odd as it sounds, it's pound for pound better at dissipating high velocity impacts than a solid shield. I never did get a complete run down of the physics behind it so I don't know that it will translate to rifle bullet level impacts but it's worth a test.

I would assume the panels used on the space station are air tight, and I think that would be the key. If the gaps were completely sealed the air inside would act as a sort of buffer or spring, slowing the flexing of the first plate as the force pushes it up against the second, and so on. In this was the energy would be dissipated across a larger area. If the gaps were not air tight however, I doubt they would help. They may actually work against you. I have no professional background or studies to prove this, but it's my theory anyway.

Iraqgunz
02-20-13, 16:39
This has nothing to do with the purpose of the AR General Discussion Area.