PDA

View Full Version : Considering a switch XD 45 to M&P45...any issues?

Elessar
02-20-13, 12:24
XD 45 5" is currently my main fullsize 45 and also serves as a "woods gun" with heavy loads. It is not anticipated that I would ever concealed carry this pistol, but is probably my main home defense pistol. 10 vrs 13 rounds does not concern me at all.

One reason for the switch would be due to the grip of the XD. If I grew a 6th finger there is plenty of room for it on the grip. It is also fairly wide (circumference) but also not especially comfortable. It doesnt feel like it is made for a hand. Anyway, that is my main rationale. With demand and prices for high cap guns, it seems like a good time to make the switch.

It seems like both pistols have had their issues in the past. Anything currently I should be concerned with? Note: I've also considered an XDM 45 since I already have the mags.......

Thanks.

Noodles
02-20-13, 13:15
Do it.

I have the 45 midsize and really like it. I almost never shoot 45acp anymore, but the gun is quite nice!

RSA-OTC
02-20-13, 13:33
If I'm correct I don't beleive XD45 mags work in the XDM45. With regards to the M&P45, I have all most 10,000 rounds down range and love it. I don't think you could go wrong making the switch.

ETA I stand corrected it seems that in the 45 version XD mags will work in a XDM.

DanjojoUSMC
02-20-13, 13:46
Another option around that price range is a used USPc in 45 that can use slim-ish 8rd and 10rd mags. To me the XD45 feels good in the hands, I would just work with it if there is no functional problems and not planning on carrying a 45.

rathos
02-20-13, 13:58
my only gripe with the M&P series used to be the triggers. I just picked up a mid size about a week ago and they seem to have made some huge improvements. plus if you really don't like it, the apex FSS is awesome. I am not mechanical what so ever and I was able to put this in last night. Makes it the closest I have ever hard to a 1911 trigger outside of a 1911.

Shao
02-20-13, 14:19
I like the XDM idea... he already has the mags and it seems as though his only real complaint is the grip shape/size. It seems like the change to the M version would make the most sense due to familiarity, magazine availability, etc...

brickboy240
02-20-13, 14:36
Does the XDM45 take the same mags as the XD45? I did not think they shared mags.

As far as the M&P45....the one I handled recently was the mid-sized version and it was really nice. The size is perfect if you ask me. I also noticed that the trigger was VERY different from the 9 that I shot a few years ago. Did S&W stick the Shield's trigger in the 45s? It was a trigger I could live with.

I'd check out the mid sized M&P45...it was a really nice sized pistol.

To be honest...after handling one...I am on the fence for this versus blowing more money for the HK45C. Who knew?

-brickboy240

TriviaMonster
02-22-13, 04:56
I'm not positive but I believe the regular XD mags are too short to use in the M guns.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ryr8828
02-22-13, 05:41
Springfield sells the same 13 round magazine for both the xd45 and the xdm 45.
Any double stack .45 you buy will have a large grip. I think the grip on my fnp .45 is even larger than the one on my xd .45.

I used to have an xdm and I don't think it's worth the added cost for what you get over the normal xd.

Watrdawg
02-22-13, 07:06
I've had my M&P 45 Midsize for about 2 years now and wouldnt sell it period. I've put about 3000 rounds through it and no issues at all. Most of that round count is through various classes so its been run hard at times. It's very accurate, recoil isnt bad at all and with the 3 grip panels finding a size to fit you hand is easy.

Gary1911A1
02-22-13, 07:06
I use to own both the XD and M&P both in .45ACP. Now I just own the M&P45 as it felt better in my hand, seemed to have a lower bore axis and was more accurate for me even though the trigger on the M&P wasn't as good out of the box. Add Apex and that changed for the better too. :)

Mauser KAR98K
02-22-13, 09:18
...any issues?

Yeah! You will start accumulating more M&Ps all of a sudden.

My first M&P was the .45. Loved the grip and feel over the XD, though the XD does have more rounds in the standard capacity mags. For me, the M&P is a 1911 Glock (just change out the trigger). Mine is very accurate for a rock-chucker, as they say.

Glock30
02-22-13, 20:46
...any issues?

Yeah! You will start accumulating more M&Ps all of a sudden.

:p this is true! I sold my Glock30 (45acp) for the SW-M&P 40 full size and within a month I added the mid-size SW M&P 45 to the collection. I do not miss glock at all! Now I'm on the hunt for the shield 9mm....for the wife :)

BoringGuy45
02-22-13, 20:57
Shot them both quite a few times. I liked the XD alright but I really like the M&P45, which is what I ended up buying about a year ago. It feels great in my hands and is boringly reliable.

I haven't put in the Apex sear yet, but that's coming up within the next few weeks. I'll probably put in a Storm Lake barrel down the road too.