PDA

View Full Version : Unloading The Bipod

T2C
02-20-13, 18:18
A lot has been said about loading a bipod in lieu of using the free recoil method to stabilize your shooting position for shooting long distance. Have any of you long range shooters experimented with "unloading" a bipod? Have you tried this with lighter calibers, such as a .308 Winchester? What were your results?

kevN
02-20-13, 20:13
Do you mean shooting with a reverse load, pulling the rifle back to flex into the bipod?

T2C
02-20-13, 21:38
Do you mean shooting with a reverse load, pulling the rifle back to flex into the bipod?

Yes sir that's it. Or at the very least pulling the rifle back to take the slack out of the bipod legs.

kevN
02-20-13, 22:06
In order to do that you have to exert a lot more influence into the rifle physically than just putting some (mild) forward pressure as you would just loading it and it usually isn't as conducive to managing recoil to pull away like that. I have done it just to play around, but never owned a rifle that shot better that way (or maybe I just couldn't do it as repeatably. You will notice a poi shift from a rifle that was zero'd under forward load.

orkan
02-20-13, 23:55
You definitely won't be accomplishing anything productive by doing this. You'll just wear your arms out.

T2C
02-21-13, 06:41
In order to do that you have to exert a lot more influence into the rifle physically than just putting some (mild) forward pressure..........

I may be using too much forward pressure when I load the bipod. I haven't found a reference point that I can use to consistently load the bipod the same amount each time I shoot and I was looking for an alternate technique.

I read somewhere that some military personnel are using an "unload" the bipod technique when firing larger caliber, higher recoil, rifles and I wanted to find out if anyone had used this technique for smaller caliber rifles.

Boxerglocker
02-21-13, 11:54
I may be using too much forward pressure when I load the bipod. I haven't found a reference point that I can use to consistently load the bipod the same amount each time I shoot and I was looking for an alternate technique.

I read somewhere that some military personnel are using an "unload" the bipod technique when firing larger caliber, higher recoil, rifles and I wanted to find out if anyone had used this technique for smaller caliber rifles.

I'm a novice in regards to precision rifle shooting so excuse my ignorance if wrong.... however my understanding of the loading the bipod forward is that you do not necessarily need to have a specific amount of pressure, but a consistent amount from shot to shot.
I have great results since learning to load my bipod forward. I gauge the amount of pressure based on the relative movement forward with the buttstock on my shoulder.

T2C
02-21-13, 15:38
I'm a novice in regards to precision rifle shooting so excuse my ignorance if wrong.... however my understanding of the loading the bipod forward is that you do not necessarily need to have a specific amount of pressure, but a consistent amount from shot to shot.
I have great results since learning to load my bipod forward. I gauge the amount of pressure based on the relative movement forward with the buttstock on my shoulder.

Thanks. I am trying to gauge how much is enough forward pressure and how to get consistent pressure every time. I can shoot 1 MOA at 300 yards with good ammunition, but I am shooting not much under 2-1/2 MOA at 1000 yards. I think a lot of it has to do with the way I load the bipod.

To put things in perspective, I shot high power rifle for years and recently started competing with scoped rifles equipped with a bipod. I had a habit of slinging in my high power rifles a lot tighter than most people and you could hear wood and leather creaking and popping when I settled into my shooting position. Shooting with a light touch is going to take some getting use to.

domestique
02-23-13, 02:23
Are you getting directly behind the gun or the "older method" of having your legs off to the left side (i.e. think 1960's green army man in prone position)?

I have always found that using the "old" method makes loading a bipod much harder with your weight being off to the the side instead of directly behind the gun.

New method:
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/sniper.jpg

Old method:
http://www.thortrains.net/armymen/lidogi0.jpg

domestique
02-23-13, 02:27
Have you checked out Magpul's precision rifle video? They go into great detail on getting into position behind the gun and loading the bipod the same way every time. I believe they even talk about "unload and loading" method.

FWIW, loading method is what is preached... less fatigue on the shooter (use your body weight not your arms) and is more consistent.

T2C
02-23-13, 07:47
I use the old method to shoot a M1A or AR-15 with a tight sling with good results. If I am shooting a course of fire that requires me to move and shoot, move and shoot, etc., and time is a factor, I square up behind the rifle.

I have transitioned to squaring up behind the rifle when shooting a rifle with a bipod. I have a feeling that I am putting too much forward pressure on the bipod. Once I figure out how much forward pressure is enough, I want to apply it consistently. I will find a reference point, such as a seam on my shooting mat, to index part of the rifle each time I fire until I master the technique.

I will check out the Magpul video you suggested.

Thanks

bp7178
02-23-13, 10:13
This is something I've been looking into, a way to make loading the bi-pod much more consistent. I've looked into hard hold and free recoil.

I started thinking a support sling would make this much easier, and the next day saw this from Larue...

http://www.laruetactical.com/optimized-sniper-sling

I want to try one for shooting in the field.

The technique on the Magpul video is pretty simple, get into your posistion with your back slightly retracted or coiled up. Kind of a final step in your shooting poisistion, release the tension in your back forward.

I think the (any laoding) technique requires consistency. If you are pressing your shoulder, thats very hard to repeat. Loading should be a very slight movement. If you can watch the bi-pod as you do it, and a smooth surface make it easy to see, you would see the bi-pod slightly flex forward then stop. Pressing forward past this isn't beneficial IMO and causes the whole gun to shift forward.

You could probably shoot better off of a rest, but is limited in application. In the field you aren't going to have 30 lbs of front rest with you and a flat surface to sit it on.

JohnnyC
02-23-13, 11:21
This is something I've been looking into, a way to make loading the bi-pod much more consistent. I've looked into hard hold and free recoil.

I started thinking a support sling would make this much easier, and the next day saw this from Larue...

http://www.laruetactical.com/optimized-sniper-sling

I want to try one for shooting in the field.

The technique on the Magpul video is pretty simple, get into your posistion with your back slightly retracted or coiled up. Kind of a final step in your shooting poisistion, release the tension in your back forward.

I think the (any laoding) technique requires consistency. If you are pressing your shoulder, thats very hard to repeat. Loading should be a very slight movement. If you can watch the bi-pod as you do it, and a smooth surface make it easy to see, you would see the bi-pod slightly flex forward then stop. Pressing forward past this isn't beneficial IMO and causes the whole gun to shift forward.

You could probably shoot better off of a rest, but is limited in application. In the field you aren't going to have 30 lbs of front rest with you and a flat surface to sit it on.

I'm interested to see how this works. You're loading the bipod off of your body as opposed to the ground. It just seems like you'd end up torquing the rifle as opposed to actually loading it. If you pick one up please post a review. I may just not be thinking about it correctly.