PDA

View Full Version : Glock frame swap report

indawire
02-21-13, 07:00
My second gen. Glock 17 has been around with me for long while but the lack of a rail put it in the old school category. So I called Glock and asked about a frame swap - a 2nd. gen for a 3rd. gen. No can do a 4th gen swap, too many changes they said. No problem with the 3rd gen. it's a $100 charge. They emailed PDF return form and I sent it in w/ the old frame. Wait about 3 weeks, they call you for a credit card number and ship it out. That's exactly what happened, arrived today in a new Tupperware box with brush and rod and new warranty, new frame serial number. Slid the old upper on and back in business ready to boogie. I was going to install a Brownells rail mount but the cost of the rail and gunsmith work was $150 which exceeded the new frame cost. I was going to sell the gen 2 frame for $200+ but a new one cost $200+. An even trade I admit but was the back and forth worth it? So for $100 I get a new frame with no aggro. Is it worth it to get the rail mount capability for the cost? It is to me, now I have something to put the Surefire on.

demkofour
02-21-13, 07:15
Not too sure what you are trying to say here, but see this post for further... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=122491

one
02-21-13, 11:59
Well, you're asking after you've already done it so no one could better answer it than you.

But seriously yeah I think it was worth it. I realize a lot of people prefer the older Gen 2 style frame and would have appreciated having that gun vs. seeing the frame taken out of service from the populace.

But this is 2013 and buying a whole other gun is a gamble anymore on whether or not you get one that will work. So in my eyes you made the best decision for yourself.

And gen 2 guns are still out there. A shooting buddy of mine told me at the range just Monday that some store around here got in quite a few gen 2 G17's.

operator81
02-21-13, 13:03
Did you have to have the new frame shipped to an ffl or did they send it directly to you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

demkofour
02-21-13, 13:28
Did you have to have the new frame shipped to an ffl or did they send it directly to you?

For me, since it was a serial numbered frame (ie, a firearm) GLOCK shipped it to my local FFL, and it required the routine paperwork and
NICS check...

operator81
02-21-13, 13:31
Gotcha. I was curious if they considered it the same as sending your gun in for repair or a new sale. Thanks.

NeoNeanderthal
02-21-13, 14:16
So youve got the best of both worlds. Gen 3 frame, with a gen 2 slide (and extractor). Sounds good to me. Some times you can find beat up gen 2 guns for relatively cheap. (like 400 bucks). So for 500 bucks youve got the best.

indawire
02-21-13, 21:16
As per the instructions from the factory, all I had to do was pack it up, ship it UPS and it was returned the same way to me. No one else involved.

demkofour
02-21-13, 22:13
As per the instructions from the factory, all I had to do was pack it up, ship it UPS and it was returned the same way to me. No one else involved.

Hummm...
New frame+ New serial number= New firearm When I did the same exchange a few years ago, I know that GLOCK required the pistol be shipped out to an FFL. I sent it to them via UPS, but they sent the new framed pistol to my LGS. When the original frame was returned to GLOCK, it was destroyed. GLOCK is required to do paperwork on that transaction. My G19 has a new and different frame SN# from the serial numbers on my slide and barrel.

On your end, you now have a handgun that is not registered (new serial number).
I'd make an inquiry as to the legality of your firearm and its possession. I believe if the above quote is what GLOCK told you to do, it's bad juju.

Psalms144.1
02-22-13, 09:37
While a new frame and SN means a new firearm, I have received several of these directly from manufacturers as replacements (including four from Glock, and one from Mossberg). There's nothing illegal about this - the manufacturers record the "transfer" of the new weapon/SN to you. However, some manufacturers (Sig comes immediately to mind) won't do this and requires the replacement to be shipped to an FFL.

Regards,

Kevin

Jupiter
02-22-13, 09:53
I have an E series Glock 17 that fell into the SN range that had a possible problem with frame rails breaking. I sent the pistol directly to Glock Inc. and they replaced the frame with the same SN with a "-1" appended to the end of it. No FFL was required and it was shipped directly back to me. This was several years back.

Heavy Metal
02-22-13, 10:38
I would ask around with a WTT on the exchange. Somebody will trade you frames.

demkofour
02-22-13, 11:55
While a new frame and SN means a new firearm, I have received several of these directly from manufacturers as replacements (including four from Glock, and one from Mossberg). There's nothing illegal about this - the manufacturers record the "transfer" of the new weapon/SN to you. However, some manufacturers (Sig comes immediately to mind) won't do this and requires the replacement to be shipped to an FFL.

Regards,

Kevin

This sounds suspect to me. I understand that the manufacturer is doing their internal paperwork regarding the original frame being replaced and destroyed. That ends the paper trial on that SN. But I doubt very much that the factory is making the required notification, or causing it to be made, to the local level licensing authority. I'm in NY and as such, I'm very sure that running the new SN will result in "no hit" and the assumption would be possession of an unregistered firearm. Other states, I can't say for sure, so YMMV...

ygbsm
02-22-13, 12:45
"Unregistered" firearms are only a problem in fascist states.

That being said,

a MNC like Glock doesn't get to be huge by ignoring state laws.

demkofour
02-22-13, 13:09
"Unregistered" firearms are only a problem in fascist states.

That being said,

a MNC like Glock doesn't get to be huge by ignoring state laws.

That's why I said YMMV...
But that being said, there is no way GLOCK is ignoring Federal laws. But don't think for one second they are going to every state of a customer they do a frame swap for and are "registering" serial numbers for them...

Psalms144.1
02-22-13, 20:30
Jim - you're definitely more expert on NYS registry laws, and, you're correct, I hadn't considered state requirements. Fortunately for me, in FL, there's no registration required...

Regards,

Kevin