PDA

View Full Version : A1 vs A2 Flash Hiders

Fluke
03-13-08, 12:49
I did a search and didn't come up with the answers on this. Is there any difference in effectiveness between the older A1 vs the A2 in terms of flash suppression? How about accuracy? Does the uneven design of the A2 affect the accuracy when compered to the symetric design of the A1?

I understand the design change of the A2 is supposed to help with dust kickup while in the prone position. But other than that is there any advantage to it over the A1? Perhaps even some disadvantages as compared to the A1?

Anyone know of a source for the older A1?

markm
03-13-08, 13:33
I've shot some great groups with an A2 flash hider on. I haven't noticed any differences in flash suppression. I'd bet you'd need a high quality test like rsilvers does to detect any differences.

The A1 can be purchased from Bushmaster. The dust signature aspect is completely useless. I'd bet that the compensating effect is more valuable than the dust sig. But the dust nonsense sells well for aftermarket models like the phantom and such.

Fluke
03-13-08, 14:43
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and grabbed an A1 online and will give it a try.

PALADIN-hgwt
03-13-08, 18:52
xxxxx

Lumpy196
03-13-08, 18:56
The dust signature aspect is completely useless. I'd bet that the compensating effect is more valuable than the dust sig. But the dust nonsense sells well for aftermarket models like the phantom and such.

Amazing how guys from Arizona have that one figured out :cool:

Robb Jensen
03-13-08, 21:28
I've shot some great groups with an A2 flash hider on. I haven't noticed any differences in flash suppression. I'd bet you'd need a high quality test like rsilvers does to detect any differences.

The A1 can be purchased from Bushmaster. The dust signature aspect is completely useless. I'd bet that the compensating effect is more valuable than the dust sig. But the dust nonsense sells well for aftermarket models like the phantom and such.

Where were you in 1983?;)

HolyRoller
03-14-08, 09:33
At least in a North Carolina beanfield that hasn't been rained on for a month, you'll get a major dust storm with an A2 flashhider from prone. As I recall from when I had a Colt Sporter Lightweight, about like a 6520 with an A2 stock, the owner's manual called that part a "compensator," but it never paid me anything so I don't know why they called it that.

I guess when you think about it, the amount of muzzle gas that goes through the flashhider slots is very small compared to the amount of gas that fans out straight ahead. Maybe a suppressor would help a lot, but not a flashhider.

markm
03-14-08, 09:50
Amazing how guys from Arizona have that one figured out :cool:

That 6 foot long, 3 foot wide dust cloud in front of the muzzle is just part of prone shooting. :)

markm
03-14-08, 09:54
I guess when you think about it, the amount of muzzle gas that goes through the flashhider slots is very small compared to the amount of gas that fans out straight ahead.

Exactly.

SinnFéinM1911
03-14-08, 10:57
BE Myers are prb the BEST on the Market.