PDA

View Full Version : Oregon lawmakers drop attempt to....

PdxMotoxer
02-21-13, 15:17
Oregon lawmakers drop attempt to ban the sale of assault weapons and of high-capacity gun clips

http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2013/02/oregon_lawmakers_drop_attempt.html

This is only a tiny battle "victory" in this WAR so the fight is FAR from
over!! BUT we the voters keep pounding them with E-mail's and phone calls and "we the people" stand a better fight at this assault on our 2nd amendment.

I can't believe how many have YET to join the NRA or lift a finger
to help yet will cry with the loudest when they loose their rights.
(many would rather pick out and argue they called them "hi cap clips"...
Then be able to let grammar slide (even though MANY "bad guys" are walking the streets because grammar in court)

"We will not go quietly into the night"

T2C
02-21-13, 15:49
This is great news. Let's hope we can get the job done at the national level.

SHIVAN
02-21-13, 15:56
What is the makeup of the Oregon legislature? Minnesota just pulled back too, and I believe they are a majority Democrat.

This is worrying me to be honest. If we were getting ready to call in the coup de grace strike, I would pull back the "friendlies" so they stay in one piece.

So....anyone else think the US Senate has the mettle to pass one, and then the US House has enough cave ins?

ldub5818
02-21-13, 16:27
Im still confused why they would be concerned about law abiding citizens that go through the proper channels of obtaining a CCP. Wasnt a study done that found out concealed permit holders are 13 times less likely to commit any crime compared to the average citizen. Let alone a violent crime.

Just goes to show, they arent interested in safety.....

DOA
02-21-13, 16:40
Its all about power. They know that all the other Ammendments are protected by the 2nd.

Hmac
02-21-13, 17:12
Minnesota just pulled back too, and I believe they are a majority Democrat.

This is worrying me to be honest. If we were getting ready to call in the coup de grace strike, I would pull back the "friendlies" so they stay in one piece.

Yes, Minnesota just pulled back. They were taking public comments on a set of bills in the Senate that were as onerous as NYC. Minnesota has a Democrat majority House and Senate, and a Democrat Governor. I have to say, Minnesota 2A advocates really stepped up, aided significantly by the NRA and the Minnesota-based Gun Owner's Civil Rights Alliance (GOCRA). Gun owners absolutely flooded the hearings and there was a huge letter campaign. What the Governor and the legislature found out was that this is not a Republican-Democrat issue. Rural Minnesota and their representatives, even the Democrat legislators were very opposed. Democrat party leaders were alarmed at the lack of support by their outstate party members, and the Governor, who last year vetoed a stand-your-ground bill heavily passed by bother houses, even backed down stating he wouldn't sign any bill that didn't have rural support. Enlightenment, or the face of stark political reality? Heh.

Anyway, AWB and magazine limits are dead for now, with the Democrat chairman of the Judiciary Committee saying they were absolutely not going to hear any bill on those issues. Minnesotans can't rest, however. They are now working around the edges and trying to weasel a UBC into some kind of omnibus bill. GOCRA and the rural grass roots are on it, despite a bunch of hearing-rescheduling shenanigans.

Opposition to all this bullshit was greatly aided by a lot of support from law enforcement. Rank and file, anyway. Police chiefs from the big city are doing their usual dog and pony show and toeing the line.

I think we should be worried on the national front. I'm not convinced that some kind of magazine ban doesn't still have some life left in it.

NWPilgrim
02-21-13, 19:38
Oregon is heavily Democrat with last several governors, and both houses of legislature, friendly courts to progressives, etc. But we have a solid ase of hunters, shooters, and outdoorsmen that would revolt. Many guys will vote democrat for the union or other social reasons but would turn against the Dems in Oregon if they pushed gun laws. Guns are probably the closest to a third rail issue we have here.

SHIVAN
02-21-13, 19:49
That's kind of what I am worried about the National Democratic leadership telling these guys to pull back, because they have the unassailable people to cast the votes for a win in the Senate, and they may have enough turncoats in the House.

So, preserve the state level dems, who they may need for other pushes, and tackle this at the national level, for now.

You see my thinking?

ryr8828
02-22-13, 04:11
That's kind of what I am worried about the National Democratic leadership telling these guys to pull back, because they have the unassailable people to cast the votes for a win in the Senate, and they may have enough turncoats in the House.

So, preserve the state level dems, who they may need for other pushes, and tackle this at the national level, for now.

You see my thinking?
They haven't pulled back here in Illinois, and they have a direct pipeline to the elite ruler.
If anything they're pushing harder every day.

SHIVAN
02-22-13, 09:54
They haven't pulled back here in Illinois, and they have a direct pipeline to the elite ruler.
If anything they're pushing harder every day.

I think you're missing what I am saying, in places like NY, CA and IL they are not really in danger of losing their DEM majority, ever. They can push, push push.

In places like MN and OR, I think they are holding on to a DEM majority, but if they wake up the mostly silent, and conservative electorate, they could end up on the outside, looking in.

Heavy Metal
02-22-13, 10:21
I think you are over-analyzing this. The Dems don't even plan on including an assault weapons ban on the bill they report out of the Senate Judicary Committee. They know they don't have the votes to even move it out of committee. They will offer it as an amendment to appease Fienstein. And it takes 60 voted to adopt an amendment so you do the math.

I am not worried about turn-coats in the House because we have such a large pro-gun surplus of members.

Even that is moot because Bob Goodlatte nor Pete Sessions is not going to move any bans anyways and both can single-handedly stop any anti-gun lagislation in the House.

Right now, the universal background check is what they are angling for.

What I am reading with all of these pull-backs is they are really starting to feel the heat and get scared.

Look, we are likely heading into a recession and the party that holds the white house historically gets murdered during the elections of the 6th year of his term. The President's party gets blamed for the economy too. Add a recession and well..... Throw in pissing off gun owners and you have the beginings of a rout. Don't think they don't know this.

Taprackngo
02-22-13, 11:17
Wrote letters, Family joined the NRA and made it to all of the rallies. I was also surprised many of my gun friends didn't feel like it was a worthy cause. :angry:

Hmac
02-22-13, 11:24
I think you're missing what I am saying, in places like NY, CA and IL they are not really in danger of losing their DEM majority, ever. They can push, push push.

In places like MN and OR, I think they are holding on to a DEM majority, but if they wake up the mostly silent, and conservative electorate, they could end up on the outside, looking in.

That's exactly it. Minnesota is a politically liberal state, at least major pockets of it are. But there is a long history here of booting out individual politicians regardless of party that come to the campaign trying to mess around with gun laws. Gun owners have a strong tendency to be single-issue voters. The Democrats here have overreached and realized it just in time. Obama believes a 51% majority gives him a mandate and the right to assume that all of America loves him. The Democrats in Minnesota were almost that stupid this time around, but not quite.

warpigM-4
02-22-13, 11:49
I have been emailing and calling my senators and reps with great response from them opposing any new gun laws or bans and i have read the Dems are scared of what happened in 94 when they all got voted out because of Clintons ban .

I hope they see that the law-abiding Gun owners are to be feared not because of our weapons but our ability to Vote their asses out of a job

Hmac
02-22-13, 14:14
At the Federal level, Obama has to have a win. They're focusing on backgound checks. The target is the congressmen that have been opposed. The tactic is public pillory engineered by a wing of the Obama campaign arm, Organization for Action (OFA). NRA is matching them step for step. So far, the OFA is working on the web only.

This Washington Post link demonstrates the broad outline of their campaign.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ofa-launches-first-ad-campaign-to-support-obamas-gun-control-agenda/2013/02/22/835b3140-7d08-11e2-9a75-dab0201670da_story.html

3 AE
02-23-13, 11:53
They turned around and are proposing another bill. Please READ this.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/massive-gun-ban-introduced

If you are an Oregon resident read this Alert and click on the blue highlighted link marked "Automailer" in the last paragraph, and send your opposition to all of the Senators and Reps listed. It's EASY to do.

Now, I'm pleading to you guys to join the Oregon Firearms Federation(OFF). It's $25/year. If you can afford to, please send anything you can spare to the OFF Political Action Committee. We need to get moving together. Even if this proposed bill gets shot down, the War isn't over. We all tend to relax a bit when things are going our way, but we can't give in to complacency. The enemy will always be there. Most likely for the rest of our lives. Look at this as a lifelong struggle. It doesn't take up that much time to fight the opposition. They are sheep to begin with, but like sheep they are continuously Baaaaaing.

If you are a resident of the other states in the Northwest region please join your state associations that fight for your gun rights. They need your help tremendously. For the price of one Pmag and a box or two of ammo you can help put out these fires. Here is the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is. Be true to yourself and to the cause. You are definitely needed to join the ranks. And don't forget to join the NRA. :help:

NWPilgrim
02-23-13, 14:42
Thanks for the heads up on the bill, and the reminder about OFF. I re-joined and set up a recurring donation.

3 AE
02-23-13, 16:21
Thanks for the heads up on the bill, and the reminder about OFF. I re-joined and set up a recurring donation.

You're my hero! We need more heroes to step up to the plate and take their swings with membership, donations, sending emails to the legislators, and spreading the alerts. :help:

3 AE
02-25-13, 21:23
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/anti-gun-zealots-change-their-tune

It's not over, but since "they" fired the first round, the pro gun forces decided it would be best if we went ahead and started "carpet bombing" this attack. They'll try an end around for sure, but they know we mean business and will not shy away from the fight with apathy or the will to see this through to the end.