PDA

View Full Version : Used M&P 45?

bonjing
02-22-13, 01:10
Hello everyone, I'm looking to pick up a used M&P 45 with thumb safety. Seller claims less than a box of ammo put through it. What do you guys recommend that I look out for or inspect? I usually buy all my pistols new because I never know what the guy who owned it did to it. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advanced.

smoky
02-22-13, 02:38
I would first find out if any modifications were done to it. Then make sure to do a function check.

hwaya
02-22-13, 08:07
I would first find out if any modifications were done to it. Then make sure to do a function check.

I would also recommend this. S&W has a lifetime warranty attached to their guns if something goes wrong down the road, I've used it before and its good.

C4IGrant
02-22-13, 08:59
Hello everyone, I'm looking to pick up a used M&P 45 with thumb safety. Seller claims less than a box of ammo put through it. What do you guys recommend that I look out for or inspect? I usually buy all my pistols new because I never know what the guy who owned it did to it. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advanced.

Check the test fire date. If it is older than 2012, I would look at the sear housing block (specifically the Sear Plunger) to see if it was the small or big one. If it is the small one, I would pass on it.

C4

bonjing
02-22-13, 12:40
Thank you everyone.

I'll remember to look at the sear plunger.

Elessar
02-22-13, 16:00
Grant,

I placed an order for an M&P 45 today at your store. Is it safe to assume that it will be GTG?

Thanks.

Check the test fire date. If it is older than 2012, I would look at the sear housing block (specifically the Sear Plunger) to see if it was the small or big one. If it is the small one, I would pass on it.

C4

C4IGrant
02-22-13, 16:09
Grant,

I placed an order for an M&P 45 today at your store. Is it safe to assume that it will be GTG?

Thanks.

Yes. We don't have old inventory from 2 years ago. ;)

C4

Elessar
02-22-13, 16:24
Awesome. Thanks. I figured as much.

ROBZ71LM7
02-22-13, 16:53
Beat me too it, but no mods and that you have the large sear spring and plunger. Tons of M&P's have homemade trigger jobs, partially thanks to the Burwell guide that's been floating on the internet for years. The other thing you don't know is if it's been dry fired a bunch. Older M&P's especially had a vulnerable striker.

(Personally I almost never buy used guns, too many amateurs that thin they are gunsmiths)

arcticlightfighter
02-23-13, 10:15
Beat me too it, but no mods and that you have the large sear spring and plunger. Tons of M&P's have homemade trigger jobs, partially thanks to the Burwell guide that's been floating on the internet for years. The other thing you don't know is if it's been dry fired a bunch. Older M&P's especially had a vulnerable striker.

(Personally I almost never buy used guns, too many amateurs that thin they are gunsmiths)

Good information, however, replacing the striker and even the sear plunger can be done for very little $. If youre not able to get your hands on a new sear housing, I believe APEX will modify the sear housing to acccomadate the larger sear plunger/spring combo.

I traded for a FS .45 from a coworker and had to upgrade to the newer striker. You can get a new trigger assy and just about everything else if you find that it has been "modified."

Again, if you know what you are looking at or have access to a certified armorer, I wouldnt be too afraid of buying a used M&P.

Good luck.

bonjing
02-23-13, 18:46
Thank you all. I got to take a look at it today, and the thing barely looks used. There is no wear on the barell, the roll pins all look clean. Honestly looks like a safe queen. It has the casing showing the test fire was done in 07 and serial starting with MPUXXXX. I looked at the wrong parts fail.

sobiloff
02-24-13, 02:34
Good information, however, replacing the striker and even the sear plunger can be done for very little $. If youre not able to get your hands on a new sear housing, I believe APEX will modify the sear housing to acccomadate the larger sear plunger/spring combo.

Good advice. I wouldn't worry much about small vs. large sear plungers much. All of mine had small plunger holes, and I never had any trouble with any of them, but Apex made them large for about $20 each while they were there for FSS trigger jobs.

mike benedict
02-24-13, 07:57
I would have no concerns on a M&P 45
If it goes bang I would buy it.

I have not seen any issues with a dead trigger on a M&P .45 so the size of the sear plunger would not matter to me

C4IGrant
02-24-13, 13:46
I would have no concerns on a M&P 45
If it goes bang I would buy it.

I have not seen any issues with a dead trigger on a M&P .45 so the size of the sear plunger would not matter to me

We have so I would get it addressed (especially IF you want a performance center or Apex Sear).

C4

kenndapp
02-24-13, 14:19
cant you just replace the sear housing block with the newer one to accommodate the large sear plunger and spring? i think a new sear housing block is something like a $30 part.

C4IGrant
02-24-13, 14:21
cant you just replace the sear housing block with the newer one to accommodate the large sear plunger and spring? i think a new sear housing block is something like a $30 part.

Yes. They are $30 and can be hard to find sometimes.

C4

ROBZ71LM7
02-24-13, 20:24
Yup, new striker if needed and sear housing block upwards of $60, and with the scare most used M&P's I've seen are overpriced. Grant has had new M&P .45's with nightsights on his site the past few days for ~$510.

There is a reason they switched to the larger sear spring and I wouldn't compromise. If the used M&P has the larger sear spring/plunger it would be different.