PDA

View Full Version : Which BCG to use

el_chupo_
02-22-13, 10:39
Hello guys, quick question for you. I am looking to set up a couple weapons, not sure what to do.

I just got a BCM bcg in to compare, so now I have a question.

I have a bolt carrier marked 1b1b6 (Toolcraft). Bolt is marked MPI, carrier is non-chrome lined. It is a FA carrier.

I also have a S&W semi BCG, bolt marked MP. Chrome lined.

I am not sure what to do here. I know that the FA carrier is preferred, at least partially for the added weight. I weighed 4 BCGs,

The weights were:
LMT 327g
BCM 327g
S&W semi 318g
Toolcraft 320g

So I know the proper weight for a FA BCG is 327g - but which of these BCG's do I throw in the spares box, and which do I throw in an upper?
My first thought is the S&W Semi BCG is not really much less weight than the Toolcraft, and it is chrome lined so it will be easier to clean.

Atlshaun
02-22-13, 10:50
The bcm gets used now imo

warpigM-4
02-22-13, 11:05
I have been using a BCM BCG in my Colt 6921 And have had Zero problems

el_chupo_
02-22-13, 11:06
Sorry, left that thought incomplete. The BCM will go in a BCM upper. I was just able to use it, and the LMT, to compare these other two. One of which will go in another, backup/friend use gun, the other will be a spares bolt or get sold when I am able to pick up another known high quality BCG.

eodinert
02-22-13, 11:45
Given two carriers that are otherwise the same, I'd go with the heavier (non-neutered), but I wouldn't want a non chrome-lined carrier, myself. Of the two, I'd use the S&W.

fallenromeo
02-22-13, 12:06
Either the BCM or LMT. Both are top notch and good to go.

el_chupo_
02-22-13, 12:30
The BCM is going into a BCM upper I just received. The LMT is going back into my LMT.

I am asking which of the other two I should use in a backup/loaner rifle. The Toolcraft or the S&W.

jwperry
02-22-13, 12:36
Leave the AR15 carrier for your spare.

Why? With the knowledge base present on the forum and interwebz, it will be easier to tune/troubleshoot your gun with an M16 carrier; if you have any kind of cycling issue that will be the first repsonse is to switch to an M16 carrier.

I wouldn't be too concerned with lack of chrome lining, just be sure to inspect that area of the carrier for pitting in the future.

ETA: I thought Toolcraft's BCG were chrome lined and their website shows that they are. I'd definately use the Toolcraft BCG and store the S&W for spare.

The_Hammer_Man
02-22-13, 13:24
I've used and installed ToolCraft carriers in the past.. they're good to go.

Store the S&W.

Quentin
02-22-13, 13:49
You're saying the Toolcraft carrier you have isn't chrome lined? I wouldn't want that so go with the S&W. 9 grams is 1/3 ounce so maybe go to an H2 buffer (assuming you now have an H in a 16" M4gery?)

HelloLarry
02-22-13, 14:55
I didn't know there were unlined carriers available.

el_chupo_
02-22-13, 16:01
I got home, and I pulled the bolt out to check, it is chrome lined. Teaches me to trust my buddy that I got it from...

You cannot see the chrome as well as you can on other carriers, so I guess he assumed it didnt have it. I also verified his weight on one of my scales, and they match up, so I guess he just plain missed it.

Thanks for the thoughts, since it is chrome lined, and a couple grams heavier, I will shelf the S&W.

ZoneOne
02-22-13, 18:07
I'll take it off your hands if you're not planning on using it.

aguila327
02-23-13, 01:09
First question: Have you fired the weapon with both of the carriers in question?

Second: If so was there any noticible difference which may cause you concern? If not, go shoot them and see whats happening.

If not, use whichever one you want. The benefit is that you know you have a tested spare awaiting you if the need arises. Don't overthink it. I don't get hung up on F/A or semi carriers as long as the rifle keeps chugging along I'm happy.

Buffers are cheaper than BCG's so you can address any cycling issues in that manner.

viperashes
02-23-13, 09:56
First question: Have you fired the weapon with both of the carriers in question?

Second: If so was there any noticible difference which may cause you concern? If not, go shoot them and see whats happening.

If not, use whichever one you want. The benefit is that you know you have a tested spare awaiting you if the need arises. Don't overthink it. I don't get hung up on F/A or semi carriers as long as the rifle keeps chugging along I'm happy.

Buffers are cheaper than BCG's so you can address any cycling issues in that manner.

Well said.

Edit to add: I would still stick to the F/A carrier, as stated in previous posts, because it does seem to be easier to address gassing issues with a BCG of correct or near correct weight. On that note, as aguila stated, I would range test the S/A carrier for function so that you know it will or will not run should the need arise for you to use it over your Toolcraft BCG.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

el_chupo_
02-23-13, 10:38
I'll take it off your hands if you're not planning on using it.

Ill be keeping it as a spare until political/supply&demand settle down, and I know I can get another. Thank you though

aguila/viper - Didnt think about shooting before putting it in the parts box, ill do that. I do not anticipate any issues, especially with it being so close in weight, and I have heavy buffers, so I should be good, but I will do that.

Thanks to all for the help!

Matt