PDA

View Full Version : So if the TR21-3 has.....

olds442tyguy
03-13-08, 18:07
So if the TR21-3 has a much smaller illuminated area as opposed to the typical TR21's illuminated triangle, in theory wouldn't it be much brighter seeing as it receives the same amount of fiber optic illumination?

The TR21 triangle reticle is 11x4MOA, where as the new German #4 amber dot reticle is listed as 2.4x.9MOA.

http://www.trijicon.com/parts/German4.jpg

Am I correct in my thinking? Does anyone know if Trijicon will be offering the TR21-3 with a red dot?

SuicideHz
03-13-08, 18:35
No, It would not be brighter.

If it has the same size light gathering fiber optic rod, you might tend to think it would have as much light available to reflect off of the reticle and therefore be brighter. But, remember, there is much less reticle to reflect the light!

It's like saying I have a gallon of red paint to paint a wooden cross. If I had a cross with members half as wide, wouldn't they be able to accept twice as much paint and be twice as red?

I've seen how Acogs and Trijicons optics are made and I'm pretty sure my thought process holds true.

olds442tyguy
03-13-08, 18:51
But aren't they set up to only light up a certain area of the reticle? Meaning the same amount of light being focused on a smaller area?

SuicideHz
03-13-08, 19:12
But there's not really any focusing done like you are thinking.

It's not like water pressure where you have a hose (fiber optic) and a nozzle (reticle) and when the opening in the nozzle is decreased then the pressure increases.

More like if you are pouring water onto something and you shrink the size of that something, you don't increase the amount of water hitting it.

The fiber optic becomes the light source. That is all they do in any application, except when talking about data.

The FO just brings light into the aluminum housing. It does not force it in, amplify it or create a rule saying it must be used as fast as it is made available.

Hope something in all of that makes sense.