PDA

View Full Version : Lefty shooters

wingman87
02-22-13, 15:02
Hey guys, new to the site and was hoping to get some info. After shooting right handed ar's my whole life I finally decided to pick up a left handed model. My question is, for all of you with lefty ar's what optics are you running with which mount? There is very limited info and even less pics out there of lefty models with optics on them. Any help is appreciated.

cl2
02-22-13, 19:26
I have several aimpoints and one EOtech. I have had no problems using any of these optics with LaRue or ADM mounts on my AR's.

I would think you'd have very few problems with any optic/mount combo.

Disclaimer: I'm a lefty, but have right-handeded AR's

wingman87
02-22-13, 21:36
Ok thanks, only reason I ask is because the dust cover flips up on the lefty models instead of down

ldub5818
02-22-13, 22:14
Righty here that shoots lefty from the shoulder. Aimpoint micro t1 with a larue lt751, and a NF 2.5-10x32 with a larue lt104. Love them both

MrCleanOK
02-23-13, 02:02
I'm a lefty, and my first AR was a Stag lefty. I used an EOTech 512 mounted directly to the upper, and didn't have problems with obscuring the ejection port. The dust cover doesn't need to open all the way, just far enough that brass gets out cleanly.

I have since sold off that upper, and standardized both of my guns, and AR's I'll buy in the future, to right-handed upper receivers. All of the ambi- and lefty- accomodating you need can be done in the lower receiver.

Animal_Mother556
02-23-13, 02:06
I am a lefty.

I am curious as to your reasoning for running a lefty AR. I have never seen the point. There are all kinds of parts out there to help a lefty. Not to mention you have to buy special BCGs in a world where you can't even find standard BCGs. Lefties also have advantages with right-handed ARs (easier to check the chamber for malfunctions, running the bolt-catch with your trigger finger). So I just curious as to your justification. Maybe I have missed something.

kyrin88
02-23-13, 09:13
I am a lefty.

I am curious as to your reasoning for running a lefty AR. I have never seen the point. There are all kinds of parts out there to help a lefty. Not to mention you have to buy special BCGs in a world where you can't even find standard BCGs. Lefties also have advantages with right-handed ARs (easier to check the chamber for malfunctions, running the bolt-catch with your trigger finger). So I just curious as to your justification. Maybe I have missed something.

I am left-handed and run right-handed uppers. My second AR was a stag lefty in M4 config. The only reason I bought it was because I was very new to the AR, and I thought that I needed a left handed upper because I was left handed. I got rid of it quickly because it didn't feel natural. I really don't see any specific advantages of having a left-handed AR.

Animal_Mother556
02-23-13, 09:36
I am left-handed and run right-handed uppers. My second AR was a stag lefty in M4 config. The only reason I bought it was because I was very new to the AR, and I thought that I needed a left handed upper because I was left handed. I got rid of it quickly because it didn't feel natural. I really don't see any specific advantages of having a left-handed AR.

There you go

wingman87
02-23-13, 09:53
Did I need a lefty ar? Nope, not at all. Did I want a lefty ar? Of course I did. To be honest there really is no advantage in having a left handed ar over a right handed ar. I've shot right handed guns my whole life with no problem. I will probably buy another ar down the road and when I do it will be a standard righty version. I will say though that I bought a left hand benelli last year and wouldn't trade it for a right hand version for a million bucks.