PDA

View Full Version : My daughter's first build (with help from dad)

AKDoug
02-22-13, 19:16
I started planning three builds after the election. Two for my daughters (17 and 13) and one for my wife. I was behind the curve and got caught unawares on Dec 14th. My 13 y.o. wanted a 6.8 to hunt with. With quick thinking and lots of computer time I managed to put this entire rifle together for under $1100 (no optics)

My 13 y.o. did all the assembly with my supervision. The only catch was that the ARP barrel was very tight in the Noveske upper. We tossed the upper in the oven at 250F for 15 minutes and the barrel in the freezer. That little trick allowed them to slide together with a light tap of a plastic mallet.

The 6.8 my daughter and I built using

ARP 6.8 midlength Scout barrel- AR Performance
Colt bolt carrier- EE here on M4C before the price skyrocketed
Daniel Defense 6.8 bolt- Midway
Noveske upper- G&R Tactical
Dtech hand guard- Dtech
Bravo Company lo-pro gasblock and gas tube- BCM
BoBro 30mm QD scope mount- through Trigicon
Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 scope- Cameraland NY
B5 Sopmod stock- G&R Tactical
Magpul MOE grip- traded for in a IragGunz armorers class
PSA LPK- PSA
Geiselle SSA trigger-PSA
Vltor A5 RE and buffer system- EE here on M4C
Harris bipod

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i441/AKDoug/IMG_0355-3.jpg

It's very accurate too. 10 round 200 yard group from the bench.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i441/AKDoug/IMG_0353.jpg

Gramps
02-22-13, 19:44
Congrats to you and your kids. You can be a PROUD DAD.

jaxman7
02-22-13, 19:45
AK,

Nice rifle but what I really want to comment on is what seems to be an awesome family bud.

It's a nice thought that the passion you have is shared with your wife a and little girl. Lucky man! ;)

-Jax

Litpipe
02-22-13, 19:49
Great stuff and good memories. It'll be great when she is older.

"So what kind of dolls did you like when you were a kid?"

"I didnt...I made guns with my dad."

Cardiac Nurse
02-22-13, 19:54
Awesome memories.... it is always a blessing to have a dad who shares the gift of TIME spent together in a common interest. Tell her great job!

snowdog650
02-22-13, 20:40
Excellent! Your daughters will never forget their builds with dad.

Now get her out there and post a range report!

AKDoug
02-23-13, 00:03
Thanks for the comments. Our family is tight and even though I have three teenagers (the two girls and a 16 yo boy) I never get any trouble out of them. They make me proud every day. I'm a firm believer that you have far better odds of having good kids the more time you spend with them.

My son built his own AR also, prior to the election. Originally his mom and I bought him a PSA upper after he spent four days volunteering to help out during a flood we had in our area. That upper is going on his mom's rifle and he built himself a AP upper/BCM barrel/Fortis rail upper recently.

The oldest daughter is still waiting for a bolt carrier group for her build.

The wife, well she's not interested in building hers. She does wants to shoot it. I'll build it for her.

BTW, I shot that group above because she had to go to Girl Scouts and I couldn't wait ;) I'm thinking she'll be shooting it on Sunday if I get some rounds reloaded.

I've got all the kids reloading so we can afford to shoot :D

Gramps
02-23-13, 00:12
I'm a firm believer that you have far better odds of having good kids the more time you spend with them.

My first wife and I, always agreed that it was best if they had their friends over at our house instead. We could be informed more on what was going on. Never ran into any trouble with this with them. They did get to go to other homes, but we always damn well knew the parents.

Cardiac Nurse
02-23-13, 07:48
My husband would say the same thing. I did get final veto on what parts he used. I wanted something that fit me and worked with my size. He did a great job. He is patient with my slow ammo reloading skills as well as my lack of mechanical want to when it comes to a build.

The wife, well she's not interested in building hers. She does wants to shoot it. I'll build it for her.

leeradio13
02-24-13, 14:31
that's sweet! my daughter is 7 months old and i cannot wait for that day to come (there's a good chance if we purge the government.) the "TROY m7 upgrade kit" will surely be my starting choice. nothing like building a lower receiver from scratch!

.46caliber
02-25-13, 18:59
I'm grown with a family of my own and I still hunt and shoot with dear old dad. The best memories of my childhood usually come from a duck blind or skeet range.

Enjoy this and go as often as you can. When they're grown they'll come to you and thank you for sharing the shooting sports with them. They'll enjoy reminiscing as much as you.

I've been eyeballing the new Magpul furniture in pink for my daughter.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

ramairthree
02-25-13, 23:19
Sweet. It is great making your kid build their own with you.

Endur
02-26-13, 00:46
Nice.

I can't wait to do things like this with my son.

Freelance
02-26-13, 13:02
Very very nice build, compliment your daughter on her excellent work. I assembled my 6.8 with a ARP barrel about a year ago, and it is a freaking tack driver. Congratz

kjsin1994
03-06-13, 12:25
Great job. I wish my dad had done this kind of stuff when I was growing up, but were two completely different people.

AKDoug
03-09-13, 14:16
Same with my dad and I. He realizes his mistakes now and we enjoy our time together as adults. I might even take up golfing so I can hang out with him. I vowed to be a different dad then him and so far it's working out. Heading to the range with my son in a few hours :-)

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk