PDA

View Full Version : Excessive rear sight adjustment required

TheHolyCannoli
02-22-13, 20:20
Got to shoot some slugs through my new M2 last weekend and noticed I was shooting high and WAY right. At the time, I didn't play with the sights too much as I figured it was just technique. So today I picked a laser bore sight that loads directly into the chamber. The projected dot was slightly high and significantly off to the right.

To get the sights and laser dot lined up correctly, it took about 8 clicks to move the point of impact down (clockwise) and roughly 60 clicks (counter-clockwise) to move the rear sight to the left. Note that there are only about 75 clicks from center, to each side. Also, keep in mind that this is based on the laser being projected at indoor distances, approximately 40-50ft. So realistically, I may find that when I go through the same sighting-in process at 50 YARDS, the rear sight may end up needing even further adjustment to the left.

Now obviously the real test will be to see if this new adjustment actually translates to accurate shot placement, but if it does, should I be contacting Benelli? Something just seems wrong about having to make such a large adjustment. :help:

ucrt
02-22-13, 21:08
...I was shooting high and WAY right. .... and significantly off to the right.

Curious,:

- what are the inches in your "WAY right" and "significantly...right"?

Just guessing, sounds like you were 10"-15" to the right at 50 ft.??

TheHolyCannoli
02-22-13, 21:14
Curious,:

- what are the inches in your "WAY right" and "significantly...right"?

Just guessing, sounds like you were 10"-15" to the right at 50 ft.??

At about 50 yards, the slugs were landing a good 12-15 inches to the right (many times missing the entire target) and about 4-6inches high.

Indoors at about 50ft, the dot was maybe 1/2in high and 1.5in right to where the sights were actually pointing.

ucrt
02-22-13, 21:26
What kind of group are you getting and how much adjustment is each "click".

TheHolyCannoli
02-22-13, 21:42
What kind of group are you getting and how much adjustment is each "click".

Hard to specifically comment about the groups since many of the shots were missing the target all together. What I can say is that they were certainly missing in the same direction each time.

As far as the "clicks", I've been Googling for that info for a couple days but can't seem to come up with any specific values for the ghost ring sights.

GH41
02-23-13, 06:30
Have you thought about bending the barrel? Don't laugh. Shotgun mechanics have done it for years. GH

TheHolyCannoli
02-23-13, 19:34
Have you thought about bending the barrel? Don't laugh. Shotgun mechanics have done it for years. GH

It's less than 10days old...It will go back to Benelli before I consider bending the barrel.

Peadog
02-23-13, 22:49
On my M1 Super 90, I had to adjust my rear sight almost all the way to the left. It's on the money at 25 yds. all the way to past 200 yds. You can move the front sight if you want the rear sight centered. I decided it didn't bother me.