PDA

View Full Version : Barrel nuts, torque, free float handguards

Derek33
02-22-13, 22:11
Ive been trying to research this for a while now. This is my first ar15 so bear with me.

After swapping from a 7" rail and a2 gas block to a 13" troy battle rail i noticed something isnt straight.

If youre standing behind the rifle the handguard is crooked to the right. The left side of the handguard actually comes in contact with the gas block.

This is my second troy battlerail so I assume the rail is ok. The rifle has seen minimal use so id assume the barrel is straight.

Would this issue have any relation to barrel nut or its torque?

Thanks for your time.

Derek

Iraqgunz
02-22-13, 23:00
Are you sure that the gas block is 100% straight? Does it use a set screw? Did you do the install? There is always a possibility of the nut being off. Pics would be great.

Ive been trying to research this for a while now. This is my first ar15 so bear with me.

After swapping from a 7" rail and a2 gas block to a 13" troy battle rail i noticed something isnt straight.

If youre standing behind the rifle the handguard is crooked to the right. The left side of the handguard actually comes in contact with the gas block.

This is my second troy battlerail so I assume the rail is ok. The rifle has seen minimal use so id assume the barrel is straight.

Would this issue have any relation to barrel nut or its torque?

Thanks for your time.

Derek

Deputyrpa
02-23-13, 03:25
Need pics, including one of barrel nut and one of gas block.

Derek33
02-23-13, 06:18
Ill get some pics after work today.

The gas block is the a2 sight post shaved down. The side of the rail coming in contact with the gas block is the opposite side of its crookedness. If i shaved the gas block more the rail would be even more canted.

As a side topic, so i dont have to start a new thread. Is there any steps im missing if i wanted a 14.5" barrel? I was planning on buying a new barrel, compensator, and low pro gas block. Is the gas tube the same length? Besides getting the compensator welded is there anything else required to install a new barrel?

robfromsc
02-23-13, 07:21
Is this the rail that clamps to the STD barrel nut? And the rail is flush to the upper?

Derek33
02-23-13, 20:39
Yes it has 4 bolts that clamp around the inside of the barrel nut as you tighten it. Visually all the gaps (very minor gaps) between the upper and rail are even. It all appears straight.

txbonds
02-24-13, 04:52
Can you remove the rail and check that the barrel nut is properly tightened? Maybe you somehow accidentally loosened it during the rail install allowing the barrel to become slightly canted. You could also remove and reseat barrel in upper and tighten and loosen the barrel nut a few times before torquing it back into place to make sure the barrel is fully seated and square to the upper receiver. Then remount the rail to see if it helped.

robfromsc
02-24-13, 06:13
Pics.