PDA

View Full Version : Why I think ambi controls for righties are bad...

Shao
02-23-13, 00:36
1. Chance of snagging on or bumping into things causing accidental shifts from safe to fire or magazine drops.

2. Added weight with little benefit. Some people will argue that it can be an aid if you're injured - I still don't see it... If you have the use of at least one arm, which side your controls are on shouldn't matter. To me, it's a matter of muscle-memory.

3. If you train with an ambi AR, then you'll go full-retard when you pick up a straight right-handed AR.

Thoughts?

NYH1
02-23-13, 00:41
I might add a ambi safety switch. Nothing more though.

NYH1.

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-13, 00:50
How about this. Pick up a KAC lower. Pick up a USGI lower.

Use your off side.

Reload.

The weight issue is so minimal it shouldn't even count. And the bumping issue is people nitpicking on bullshit that doesn't even matter.

My flashlight hits me in the dick on a single point sling all the time. That's ****in' bumping. If I ever find out I can't have kids, it's because my AR neutered me when I tried to run with it.

How many times have I accidentally dropped a mag?

0 times.

And I can drop my bolt with my strong hand index.

Downside: No redi-mod. Which most people don't use anyway.

Also, two things about right handed ARs:

I already own ARs: why the hell would I pick up somebody elses? I have my own?

Also, you can still train for right handed use with an ambi gun. Can't do the opposite with a USGI pattern gun.

Anti-ambi people make no sense. Familiarity is the enemy of advancement.

Heavydmp
02-23-13, 00:50
Oddly enough, a buddy of mine just picked up his MR556 complete rifle today and the ambi selector was the only uncomfortable thing I noticed about it.

Im sure it's something I could get used to but in the brief minute or 2 I handled the weapon it left the above impression...

Shao
02-23-13, 01:01

Use your off side.

Reload.

The weight issue is so minimal it shouldn't even count. And the bumping issue is people nitpicking on bullshit that doesn't even matter.

How many times have I accidentally dropped a mag?

0 times.

And I can drop my bolt with my strong hand index.

I already own ARs: why the hell would I pick up somebody elses? I have my own?

Anti-ambi people make no sense. Familiarity is the enemy of advancement.

I don't know what Redi-mod is and won't bother to Google it at the moment, but you do make valid points. You say you've never accidentally dropped a mag - me neither - doesn't mean it couldn't happen. What you didn't mention is if you've ever had an accidental switch of firing modes. Not to down the products that so many hold dear, but in my belief, any modification that increases the chances of my weapons' controls being compromised by a sling, harness, clothing, wall, rock, etc... is not a worthy modification. The argument about picking up someone else's AR? You'll never know what kind of situation you may be faced with in the future. The possibility of having to take the weapon of an enemy is a reality. In all likelihood, it will be unfamiliar in many aspects, not just the ambi controls. In my opinion, to train against a standard is asking for trouble. Weight also matters. I try to go light and strong as possible unless it's for a special purpose - ounces of polymer are much larger than ounces of steel. Just like handgun people figured out a long time ago, a snag-free profile is preferable in most instances.

Iraqgunz
02-23-13, 01:08
I disagree with everything you posted. I am a right handed shooter, but if necessary I want the ability to operate a weapon with my left hand and in fact I can shoot and manipulate my weapon with my left hand.

When you train with an ambi AR and then switch to a standard one then your mindset also shifts. Sometimes you just have to be smarter than the gear you are training with.

The weight issue you pointed out is ridiculous and the little difference is negligible.

Shao
02-23-13, 01:11
I disagree with everything you posted. I am a right handed shooter, but if necessary I want the ability to operate a weapon with my left hand and in fact I can shoot and manipulate my weapon with my left hand.

When you train with an ambi AR and then switch to a standard one then your mindset also shifts. Sometimes you just have to be smarter than the gear you are training with.

The weight issue you pointed out is ridiculous and the little difference is negligible.

Surely not everything? What about the snag-free profile??? :D

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-13, 01:13
I don't know what Redi-mod is and won't bother to Google it at the moment,

It just holds an extra mag. With your lower.

What you didn't mention is if you've ever had an accidental switch of firing modes.

Not a single time.

Not to down the products that so many hold dear, but in my belief, any modification that increases the chances of my weapons' controls being compromised by a sling, harness, clothing, wall, rock, etc... is not a worthy modification.

But it only does that in theory. I've never even heard of somebody trying to climb some shit in Afghanistan with a SCAR, and flippin' off the safety, and shootin' their balls off. I've never heard of a cop on this board who runs an ambi safety/mag release talk about climbing a fence, and dropped a mag, or accidentally threw his weapon into hot mode.

The argument about picking up someone else's AR? You'll never know what kind of situation you may be faced with in the future. The possibility of having to take the weapon of an enemy is a reality.

However, it's so rediculously unlikely that it shouldn't even be a consideration. Yeah, it's good to have familiarity with multiple weapon systems. But you can STILL practice the normal way with an ambi gun. And I primarily do. But when I shoot strong side, one handed I can reload way quicker. When I shoot weak side, I can reload quicker. People with an AXTS lower can clear a double feed quicker. And I can also flip my safety off quicker. This translates to faster reaction to a threat, and the possibility that I won't get shot in my apartment.

I'm just saying, it's much more likely that you'd have to reload on your offside, or go off safe on your weak side, than it is you'd be fighting in a SHTF situation, and have to pick up somebody elses AR. If you use somebody elses AR at the range, and you have trouble with it, then you don't shoot enough anyway, and you shouldn't even be worrying that your gun has more buttons.

In my opinion, to train against a standard is asking for trouble.

Then why even bother modifying the weapon in any way? Your 10 lb. AR isn't going to weigh the same as an issued M4. Your 1-4X variable optic isn't going to have the same controls as an Aimpoint. Your sling isn't the USGI issued one. Your grip isn't either.

Weight also matters.

If the weight of an ambi bolt release, safety, and magazine release bother you, then you shouldn't have an optic, a light, or an FF rail on the gun.

I try to go light and strong as possible unless it's for a special purpose - ounces of polymer are much larger than ounces of steel. Just like handgun people figured out a long time ago, a snag-free profile is preferable in most instances.

And most handgunners like ambi controls. Hence the P30, and PPQ. Also, for the handgunners that like lighter weight snag free guns. Anybody who doesn't carry a Glock, or PPQ specifically is a 'tard then. Everything else is pretty much heavier. Or a PPS, or Shield for that matter.

You do gain things with performance, for almost NO cost.

Shao
02-23-13, 01:21
I'm just saying, it's much more likely that you'd have to reload on your offside, or go off safe on your weak side, than it is you'd be fighting in a SHTF situation, and have to pick up somebody elses AR. If you use somebody elses AR at the range, and you have trouble with it, then you don't shoot enough anyway, and you shouldn't even be worrying that your gun has more buttons.

I do agree with that end statement...

Then why even bother modifying the weapon in any way? Your 10 lb. AR isn't going to weigh the same as an issued M4. Your 1-4X variable optic isn't going to have the same controls as an Aimpoint. Your sling isn't the USGI issued one. Your grip isn't either.

Once again... agree completely... Not likely that someone else would be using a Geissele trigger anyway.

If the weight of an ambi bolt release, safety, and magazine release bother you, then you shouldn't have an optic, a light, or an FF rail on the gun.

Right on... BUT.. no you can't argue the usefuleness of a light compared to ambi controls for a righty. A light is pretty much a must unless you're target shooting.

And most handgunners like ambi controls. Hence the P30, and PPQ. Also, for the handgunners that like lighter weight snag free guns. Anybody who doesn't carry a Glock, or PPQ specifically is a 'tard then. Everything else is pretty much heavier. Or a PPS, or Shield for that matter.

You do gain things with performance, for almost NO cost.

I still see the possibility for snagging as the #1 reason for a no-go. Just because it hasn't happened to anyone you know doesn't mean it hasn't happened. There's a strong likelihood that someone that encountered such a problem would be dead and wouldn't be telling stories about it on the internet.

JohnnyC
02-23-13, 01:25

Snag-free profile? Are you serious? That's about one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard.

First, your charging handle has a far larger profile extending from the starboard side of the gun than any ambi selector I've ever seen. If you want to make an excuse about shit sticking out of the side of your rifle you better cut off that side. You should probably chop off your forward assist too. And realistically cut your handguards, rails, lights, or whatever off that side of the gun.

Second, you're far more likely to "compromise your weapons controls" with a port side selector since damn near every sling on the market slings with the port side, the standard safety location, agains your body, your gear, etc. Nevermind the safety detents on all of my rifles take thought and positive engagement to manipulate. I've NEVER had my "weapons controls compromised" let alone by the ambi portion.

Third, weight? There's something to be said for ounces equaling pounds, but you realize that it takes 16 ounces to equal just one pound. The addition of an ambi mag release an ambi safety and an ambi bolt release is probably on the total of 3 ounces. The thumb screw on an ACOG factory mount weighs more than all those put together.

If you're so concerned about this kinda stuff, you've got a lot more shooting to do. None of your points have any basis in the real world, none whatsoever.

Shao
02-23-13, 01:32
I expected to get flamed with this post and that's OK. I'm just voicing my opinion. A bump or slight pull on your charging handle isn't going to have any affect on the firing state of your weapon, while on the other hand, the same bump could theoretically knock your weapon into a mode that you had not set intentionally. That, to me, is a safety hazard. Flame on...

EDIT: ...and if you're telling me that you've NEVER in your life lined up a target and then squeezed the trigger just to realize that your safety is on? If not, then you haven't done enough shooting. I mean, not that it's a recurring issue, just being honest... When firing other peoples' weapons without instruction, error can occur. Safeties on some guns are reversed - some up - some down. I trained with a 1911. When I handle other handguns I still marvel at their weirdness. So be it...

EDIT EDIT: I also want to add that on the range, it's fun to play with buttons, but when the SHTF, you revert to muscle memory, and if you practice exclusively with a non-standard, then when the SHTF, you may be fingering or thumbing for something that just isn't there.

Iraqgunz
02-23-13, 01:36
All I can say is that you need to get out and train more. You don't even need ammo, just practice weapon manipulations.

I haven't shot an AK in at least a year maybe two, but I have no doubt in my mind that I can still run one well and I won't be "confused".

I expected to get flamed with this post and that's OK. I'm just voicing my opinion. A bump or slight pull on your charging handle isn't going to have any affect on the firing state of your weapon, while on the other hand, the same bump could theoretically knock your weapon into a mode that you had not set intentionally. That, to me, is a safety hazard. Flame on...

EDIT: ...and if you're telling me that you've NEVER in your life lined up a target and then squeezed the trigger just to realize that your safety is on? If not, then you haven't done enough shooting.

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-13, 01:40

Remember in that DD torture test video, LAV threw an M4 with an empty chamber, loaded mag, and mechanical safe ON. The safety didn't flick off. Yet the gun landed hard enough to strip a new round.

Yet you're telling me that a slight bump could screw your firing mode. If you're gun is hanging THAT freely, then something is wrong.

EDIT: ...and if you're telling me that you've NEVER in your life lined up a target and then squeezed the trigger just to realize that your safety is on? If not, then you haven't done enough shooting.

That's not the same as going to flip off your safety, and having it already be off.

I respect your opinion, but IMHO your theories, and reasoning don't stand up to actual use of a weapon.

FChen17213
02-23-13, 01:45
I agree with Iraqgunz. I believe that one should be able to use the standard configuration without ambi controls. I also don't believe that the ambi controls are the same type of crutch as match triggers and such. Much of shooting under stress can fall back to muscle memory or previously burnt neuropathways, whichever one you want to call it. If your whole weapons manipulation train breaks during a real situation, you'll most likely have to think about the next steps to do next with your weapon. Ideally, all the weapons manipulations should be subconscious. Having to go, "oh shit!" and then figuring out how to reload on your support side with a standard weapon is probably not a good thing. That is totally different than just having a crisper or lighter trigger since the motions are still more or less the same for the triggers.

That being said, I hate the ambi safety as a right handed shooter. It rubs against my hand when I disengage it every time. When I do support side shooting, I flip the safety off with the 3rd pad of my trigger finger on my left hand. To re-engage the safety, I flip up on it with my first pad on the trigger finger. Your technique can be different but I think one just needs to practice with it.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure many with much more knowledge and experience disagree with me. Ymmv

jonconsiglio
02-23-13, 01:48
I am out in thick wooded areas filled with brush often using my rifle to push through it. Never once has my Bad-ASS (or KAC back in the day) switched off of safe. I just got in a few minutes ago from an 8 push through the woods.

I never used the ambi features of my SR15's, but do prefer an ambi safety. Easier to actuate but can switch back and forth without a thought.

Wake27
02-23-13, 01:56
I finger my safety religiously with my thumb. I know you can't always have even a loose hand on your weapon, but I check it often enough that I feel pretty confident that I'd catch it very quickly if it did get flipped.

MrCleanOK
02-23-13, 02:10
I am a lefty. My personal AR's get ambi selectors and Norgon Ambi-catches. My work rifles stay righty-pure for the most part. I have never, with either ambi or righty rifles had a selector go somewhere I didn't want it to. I don't doubt that it happens, but it's never happened to me and I handle weapons daily as part of my job.

I have unintentionally dropped a magazine once, by letting a slung rifle hang, and the weight of the rifle against my gear depressed the USGI mag release button.

All of the "what if's" that you're throwing around about ambidexterous features are ridiculous when compared against the benefits gained by ambi controls.

Grand58742
02-23-13, 02:22

This. I own an Adcor BEAR which has that front charging handle. I pick it up and know I can clear malfs using it as opposed to having to use the rear charging handle.

But on my other ARs or M4, I know I have to use the rear charging handle. Know thy weapon, know thy battle drills.

1. Chance of snagging on or bumping into things causing accidental shifts from safe to fire or magazine drops.

Which will happen with either ambi or no ambi controls. I can't count how many times I've looked down at my M16/M4 on duty and found the selector lever went to "semi." Honestly? Not a huge issue as it still needs a trigger pull to operate. And since we carry ours without a round in the chamber...moot point anyway.

As for mag drops. Never had that problem with standard controls.

2. Added weight with little benefit. Some people will argue that it can be an aid if you're injured - I still don't see it... If you have the use of at least one arm, which side your controls are on shouldn't matter. To me, it's a matter of muscle-memory.

Don't agree about the weight. Not enough added to really make a suge difference. A 6.5 pound carbine (issue M4) gets another 6.5 pounds of shit slapped onto it and will get heavy no matter what. Another few ounces isn't going to really matter.

3. If you train with an ambi AR, then you'll go full-retard when you pick up a straight right-handed AR.

Thoughts?

Can't say about the ambi controls or going full retard. We were firing off hand and doing reloads during our course of fire for a while. I still shoot offhand just to keep in practice (although not as much as I probably should) just to maintain that feeling. I just learned how to operate the controls with the off hand (mag swaps, bolt release, etc) instead of using ambi controls. Problem was at the time we were using complete shit magazines that had to be yanked out of the mag well, so getting the thumb right on the catch as well as pulling magazine was a trick to learn, but was done.

About the only ambi control that might benefit from that aspect would be a ambi charging handle for malfs. Otherwise, I just reached over the top and grabbed at the handle with two fingers (like we were supposed to according to the instructors). Works, but could be made easier.

My personal preference? I learned how to use the standard controls from off hand firing a long time ago. And being .mil, we are not allowed to modify our weapons with ambi stuff anyway. So my personal ARs pretty much mirror my issued M4 in controls just from habit.

I'm not a huge fan of the ambi selector lever since my trigger finger tends to rest against it which ends up being slightly uncomfortable. That's why I wasn't a huge fan of the SR-15 I fondled in the store a while back. But that's a personal preference and in no way an indication they don't work or would cause problems.

But it comes down to personal preference. Can one learn how to use standard controls from an off hand position just as quick as some ambi controls? I believe so. Does the ambi controls make it easier to manipulate certain items? Yes, absolutely.

But...knowing the weapon you happen to be carrying and practicing with said weapon is far more important than worrying about ambi controls.

no you can't argue the usefuleness of a light compared to ambi controls for a righty. A light is pretty much a must unless you're target shooting.

I would consider putting rounds on target consistantly a must before putting a light on. Too many people couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but have a four hundred dollar Surefire in a Larue mount on their weapon, or only three magazines, or less than a hundred rounds, or have no idea how to use the iron sights.

Personal opinion? Weapon, mags, irons, ammo, practice first. Optic, light, sling and rails next. Maybe a foregrip or AFG to round it out if so inclined. Anything else is "neat" or special use.

domestique
02-23-13, 02:44
Half of my family are southpaws.... reason enough for me to run KAC lowers and ambi controls on my BCM.

The only argument I see is a user getting so used to having an ambi mag release that they pick up a friends gun or battle field pickup and stumble trying to run it.

yfz
02-23-13, 02:51
I am left handed and run no ambi controls. I have never snagged my selector or accidentally dropped a mag because of the release being slung against my body. If you are worried about this kind of stuff you probably don't shoot weak side enough.

Smash1969
02-23-13, 04:44
Every contract i've ever worked on forbids the modification of any issued weapon. So all of my guns at home have non-ambi controls for that reason. I train support side manipulations with that configuration primarily for that reason.

Secondarily....I just don't like ambi-controls. I don't like the way they feel. I have used a buddies gun that had the B.A.D Ass ambi on it and I hated it. Could I pick it up and use it? Sure...but I'd probably still manipulate the controls shooting support side the same way I do my own rifle.

To each his own I guess....but that's my opinion and how I roll :D

Animal_Mother556
02-23-13, 05:27
I am a left handed shooter. Never once have I released a mag from the right side of the gun being against my body. OP, all of your argumemts are nuts to me. Honestly, while I was reading it, I was thinking "this is obviously a joke, and he will reverse his argument at the end of the post". When that didn't happen, my next thought was you were posting this on purpose to get everyone fired up...

samuse
02-23-13, 07:16
I hate ambi safeties on 1911s and ARs. With a hot fiery passion.

Littlelebowski
02-23-13, 07:19
Smelling a lack of training in the OP.

Koshinn
02-23-13, 07:22

Are you kidding? My ar's standard safety rubs against my gear all the time and has never moved from safe to fire. It's possible, but just doesn't happen. A safety on the right side (for lefties) doesn't touch anything but air...

We're talking less than an oz of difference in weight. Do 1/4 of a pushup more every day.

As someone with an issued M4 that has nothing ambi except the trigger and a couple personal ARs with ambi everything except mag catch, no. Not full retard. Not even slower unless shooting weak side, which is because lack of left handed controls.

The argument about picking up someone else's AR? You'll never know what kind of situation you may be faced with in the future. The possibility of having to take the weapon of an enemy is a reality.
Sell your ARs right now and buy a colt 6920 and an AK. Make no modifications to any of them, no rails (a kac ras is acceptable, but nothing free float and keep the front sight), don't change the stocks, don't change the triggers, and the only optic allowed is a comp m2 or comp m4 and only on the 6920. Train with these two weapons exclusively and without modification if you're honestly so concerned about having to use the enemy's weapon that you'll sacrifice performance of your personally owned weapon.

Or alternatively, you can decide you don't want to go full retard (side note, I just saw Tropic Thunder on FX the other week, they changed the line to "full special" lol) and if it's that concerning, train both with and without ambi controls. But the odds of using a pick-up weapon are many magnitudes smaller than using your own weapon unless you're spec ops training insurgents in some forgotten 3rd world village... But I really doubt you'd make this post if that were true.

Animal_Mother556
02-23-13, 07:40
I hate ambi safeties on 1911s and ARs. With a hot fiery passion.

How come?

T2C
02-23-13, 07:58

That sums up what I was going to say. I have trained people who had both ambidextrous and regular safeties on their rifles and did not see any issues.

HelloLarry
02-23-13, 08:20
I think the ambi stuff is a waste of money. The AR is already extremely ambidextrous.

In fact, I think it works better for lefties than righties.

In left hand mode, the trigger finger manipulates the safety & trips the bolt. The trigger hand thumb dumps the mag.

I had an ambi safety on a Colt at one time. Did not like it, was of no advantage.

Travis B
02-23-13, 08:25
OP, you keep blabbering about an ambi rifle magically bumping into fire mode. While its not likely, do you know how to make sure you don't experience a ND? Keep your bugger hook out of the damn trigger guard! There's no such thing as an accidental discharge.

Spend more on training and less on toys you don't need and get back with us.

Gutshot John
02-23-13, 08:32
As a lefty, who has learned to operate the gun without ambi controls, I agree it's possible to run the gun effectively without ambi controls.

That said ambi controls significantly improve functionality and speed. The safety isn't a huge improvement. Mag releases on the other hand are a huge improvement.

Eventually you're going to have to run your gun with an off-hand, why not make it as functional as possible? Having run ambi controls pretty rigorously, I'm 100% confident that there are no safety problems that don'r already exist.

The notion that you shouldn't make it ambi because you never know when you're going to need someone else's pickup may hold some water for left-handed military members but otherwise is irrelevant.

militarymoron
02-23-13, 08:41
In left hand mode, the trigger finger manipulates the safety & trips the bolt. The trigger hand thumb dumps the mag.

'the trigger hand thumb dumps the mag'.
you must have an abnormally long left thumb, because mine doesn't even come close to reaching the mag release button. take a photo, please.

Koshinn
02-23-13, 08:43
you must have an abnormally long left thumb, because mine doesn't even come close to reaching the mag release button. take a photo, please.

I think he has gigantic hands.

Littlelebowski
02-23-13, 08:46
The smell of lack of training and hands on with ambi parts is getting stronger.

Shorts
02-23-13, 08:47
Re: "the added weight" - weak sauce man, non-issue. If you don't like it, don't run it.

Re: revert to muscle memory - sure, start training with an ambi and that becomes default. If you find you can't overcome it, don't run it.

Re: accidental disengagement - anything's possible I guess. If it's happening to you more and more, check/replace the little detent pin spring because it is. If you don't like an ambi safety, don't run it.

Your opinion is fine. If you don't like an ambi safety and cannot safely function with one, don't run it. Others may like it and use it just fine.

I'm a righty with no option to go offhand. I'm thinking of trying an ambi because I'm wondering if it might actually be safer in my case. The way I hold the rifle with one hand I cannot engage the safety as quickly as I would like. I have to pull the rifle down to reposition my grip in order to manipulate the switch. It is not fluid. An ambi on the right side would allow my index finger to swipe & engage while the rifle is still shouldered in position. We'll see.

Littlelebowski
02-23-13, 08:47
I had an ambi safety on a Colt at one time. Did not like it, was of no advantage.

I used to think the same way until I lost use of my right arm for a while.

E-man930
02-23-13, 08:55
Smelling a lack of training in the OP.

Ditto :rolleyes:

RHINOWSO
02-23-13, 09:04
Yeah, same people like the OP buy into SIG SAS "Sig Anti Snag" pistols... :)

Animal_Mother556
02-23-13, 09:10
An ambi on the right side would allow my index finger to swipe & engage while the rifle is still shouldered in position. We'll see.

I am a lefty --

Using the method that you describe (swiping the gun to safe with your trigger finger) is the only way to go in my opinion. You do not have to do anything weird with your hand. I only use my right-side lever for taking the gun off safe.

zombiescometh
02-23-13, 09:12
I know this is a little off topic, but when i joined this site even though it was only about 9 months ago. I am pretty sure there was less pointless threads and posts. And there was a lot more advice to new members to "READ MORE POST LESS" and "USE THE ORANGE SEARCH BUTTON" If you would have searched "ambi controls" you would have found 2 threads from 2012 that discussed this option. There is even a couple of posts from 2009 talking about if ambi controls would be a good idea and why do you like/dislike.

Shorts
02-23-13, 09:19
I am a lefty --

Using the method that you describe (swiping the gun to safe with your trigger finger) is the only way to go in my opinion. You do not have to do anything weird with your hand. I only use my right-side lever for taking the gun off safe.

Thank you for the confirmation. Sounds like it'll work as I imagined. Now to get it ordered an n the way.

Did you find a preference in lever length or width used with your index finger?

jdc.
02-23-13, 09:20
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/23/a3u7y9y5.jpg
Knights armament ambi mag release
Also picked up a Battle Arms Development ambi safety selector, which isn't pictured
With that being said I'm a lefty shooter now I got a rifle the is set up perfectly for a lefty shooter, without taking away any of the controls that all you righties are used to having. That being said if you for any reason needed to pick up my rifle for any reason, there would be no transitional period. Grab and go.

Sent from my iPhone.

Littlelebowski
02-23-13, 09:28
I know this is a little off topic, but when i joined this site even though it was only about 9 months ago. I am pretty sure there was less pointless threads and posts. And there was a lot more advice to new members to "READ MORE POST LESS" and "USE THE ORANGE SEARCH BUTTON" If you would have searched "ambi controls" you would have found 2 threads from 2012 that discussed this option. There is even a couple of posts from 2009 talking about if ambi controls would be a good idea and why do you like/dislike.

All of the new people are special snowflakes who are above searching. Many are also above training or hands on with that which they deride.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Shorts
02-23-13, 09:29
All of the new people are special snowflakes who are above searching. Many are also above training or hands on with that which they deride.

Hey, not "all".

Animal_Mother556
02-23-13, 09:40
Thank you for the confirmation. Sounds like it'll work as I imagined. Now to get it ordered an n the way.

Did you find a preference in lever length or width used with your index finger?

I just use standard sized safeties...It works for me.

Failure2Stop
02-23-13, 09:50

Thoughts?

How much time do you have with ambi control ARs?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

d90king
02-23-13, 09:50
Two things; First, how in the hell have you been able to post 700 times in only a couple months?

Second, what makes you believe that you have a clue as to what others will do with their firearms, what life experiences are you drawing from that makes you an SME on this subject?

Ps, I hope you're able to sort the RDS issue out without too much trouble.

HelloLarry
02-23-13, 10:54

Quite simple. Hand stays on pistol grip, butt rotates out to the left over the left arm and the thumb presses the release.

Failure2Stop
02-23-13, 10:56
Quite simple. Hand stays on pistol grip, butt rotates out to the left over the left arm and the thumb presses the release.

then your hands are significantly larger than anyone I have ever met.

jdc.
02-23-13, 11:01

I wonder with hands like that how his trigger finger even fits inside the trigger guard

Sent from my iPhone.

HelloLarry
02-23-13, 11:12

You didn't try it, did you?

Actually, my hands are very average.

Surf
02-23-13, 11:19
Long week of training, have some free time this A.M. Get my coffee, sit down, do some surfing and find this gem right off the bat. Another fine example of why I find myself on forums less and less. The real world is for a lack of a better description, so much more real. I suggest some get out more often and get away from keyboards.

Koshinn
02-23-13, 11:19

Why do I feel like this is a replay of an Archer episode?

I tried (honestly, the thought never crossed my mind until you posted earlier). I can't do it at all!

Shao
02-23-13, 11:30
Wow, I had no idea this thread would explode the way it did. I expected to get flamed - if someone doesn't agree with what you've done to your gun, it can upset you, sure. Some people haven't read through this thread enough because I redacted many of my statements and have been in agreeance with many of you, but people still seem hung up on my first post. I wanted peoples' opinions and I got them. I stated my personal preference and possible reasons for why ambi controls have the potential to cause problems. I didn't expect people to start questioning my training and go off the deep end. So you like ambi controls, I don't - no reason to get yer panties in a bunch. With that, I will refrain from visiting this thread again. Too many overly-opinionated and agressive responses and I'm too busy to answer them all. I don't like ambi controls and see potential problems with them. Sorry that you bought a $70 safety selector or whatever and feel the need to bash me for trying to have a meaningful conversation. I learned a lot and that was my purpose for starting this thread - not to bitch about how shitty ambi controls are - just making obversations and wanted to discuss peoples' thoughts on them. You guys go run your ambi selectors and mag releases - they're just not for me! Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Spiffums
02-23-13, 11:30

Use your off side.

Reload.

My flashlight hits me in the dick on a single point sling all the time. That's ****in' bumping. If I ever find out I can't have kids, it's because my AR neutered me when I tried to run with it.

You need a CUP or a 2 pt sling! :help:

HelloLarry
02-23-13, 11:35
Why do I feel like this is a replay of an Archer episode?

I tried (honestly, the thought never crossed my mind until you posted earlier). I can't do it at all!
Keep trying! You can do it! Allow your thumb to reach! Relax your hand a bit.

Jesus, people, are you made of stone?

zombiescometh
02-23-13, 11:44
Wow, I had no idea this thread would explode the way it did. I expected to get flamed - if someone doesn't agree with what you've done to your gun, it can upset you, sure. Some people haven't read through this thread enough because I redacted many of my statements and have been in agreeance with many of you, but people still seem hung up on my first post. I wanted peoples' opinions and I got them. I stated my personal preference and possible reasons for why ambi controls have the potential to cause problems. I didn't expect people to start questioning my training and go off the deep end. So you like ambi controls, I don't - no reason to get yer panties in a bunch. With that, I will refrain from visiting this thread again. Too many overly-opinionated and agressive responses and I'm too busy to answer them all. I don't like ambi controls and see potential problems with them. Sorry that you bought a $70 safety selector or whatever and feel the need to bash me for trying to have a meaningful conversation. I learned a lot and that was my purpose for starting this thread - not to bitch about how shitty ambi controls are - just making obversations and wanted to discuss peoples' thoughts on them. You guys go run your ambi selectors and mag releases - they're just not for me! Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Ok so next time title your thread I dont like ambi controls. Then in your message write that you want to have a discussion on ambi controls because you dont like them and see no point to them. Then tell us no matter what reason or experience we tell you it wont change your mind or your opinion on them because you just wanted to have a meaningless discussion. Then tell us how you will nit pick the things we say and in the end you dont care because you dont really want our opinion do you?

Koshinn
02-23-13, 11:48

I wear small gloves if that tells you how small my hands are.

I can do it, it just requires me to basically let go of the gun, lol.

Heavydmp
02-23-13, 11:51
Guilty! I reek!! Not afraid to learn though.

The smell of lack of training and hands on with ambi parts is getting stronger.

Shorts
02-23-13, 11:51

"Dexterity" I think is what you're looking for. BTW, what grip are you running? I imagine that may have bearing on the ability to retain the grip with the fingers while reaching with the thumb. Standard grips have a greater angle to the back. Some aftermarket grips reduce the angle. Biomechanics too- size of hands & fingers.

HelloLarry
02-23-13, 12:00
I just run a GI grip.

The grip is the pivot point of the maneuver. You gotta shift your palm to the right side, but still be grasping the grip with your fingers. It's a quick wrist flip.

Litpipe
02-23-13, 12:03
Very little to snag here, weight is nothing, people I work with are lefties, as is my wife.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/24/ehyqe8eh.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/24/ydu8ypy5.jpg

Shao
02-23-13, 12:04
Ok so next time title your thread I dont like ambi controls. Then in your message write that you want to have a discussion on ambi controls because you dont like them and see no point to them. Then tell us no matter what reason or experience we tell you it wont change your mind or your opinion on them because you just wanted to have a meaningless discussion. Then tell us how you will nit pick the things we say and in the end you dont care because you dont really want our opinion do you?

For real, this is it...
The thread is titled "Why I think ambi controls for righties are bad" - I had some thoughts that I wanted to share and had hoped it would lead to meaningful discussion. I expected resistance, but I had no idea so many people felt so strongly about the need to easily manipulate their weapons from both sides. I never once said that no matter what was said, I wouldn't change my mind - in fact, if you read the entire thread, you would have seen that I ended up agreeing with many posters' points. Forums are for sharing ideas and opinions. It's just kinda laughable to me how riled up people get when you question their choice of parts. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. To bring in to question my abilities or training because I made some obversations and wanted other peoples' thoughts on them is honestly a little childish. The reason why I'm refraining from posting in this thread again, is because it's obvious that people like YOU don't want to hear others' opinions. One thing I got out of all this is that if you have a dissenting opinion from the masses, you will be jumped on. I picked up a lot from this thread. In fact, I'll probably pick up an ambi mag release for an upcoming build, I have one on one rifle already. I still wouldn't run an ambi safety. Just my preference. Thanks guys! Carry on!

RogerinTPA
02-23-13, 12:07
Many of us have several ARs, AK variants, etc... most of mine are configured very similar, but there are variances to each. I have had these weapons long enough to be 'aware' of each weapons characteristics and my ability to shoot, manipulate, and maneuver, with a particular one without confusion. Everything posted boils down to the 'user' needs to be smarter than the equipment...if something as simple as an added "practical" feature throw you off, as IG stated, you need to practice dry fire manipulations, until your uneasiness goes away. Or, live & train with what you got...

Koshinn
02-23-13, 12:11
To bring in to question my abilities or training because I made some obversations and wanted other peoples' thoughts on them is honestly a little childish.
People question your training background because you're new here and no one knows what your experience is. You could be an 18 yr old who bought his AR the day after his birthday and has no firearms training nor real world experience whatsoever, in which case your opinion holds less weight as far as "real world" and "general knowledge" than people who have been shooting for decades. But you could also be a 40 yr old spec ops veteran who just retired after your tenth deployment and decided to finally build your own AR.

But no one knows who you are or what you've done, so they're asking. And now I'm curious. What training and experience do you have that has led you to your opinion on ambi controls?

In fact, I'll probably pick up an ambi mag release for an upcoming build, I have one on one rifle already. I still wouldn't run an ambi safety. Just my preference. Thanks guys! Carry on!
Honestly, I find an ambi safety more useful than an ambi mag release. It's relatively easy to release your mag with your right hand while shooting left-handed... it takes a tiny bit more time, but it can be done quite easily.

On the other hand (lol) I use my ambi safety shooting right handed all the time.

Shorts
02-23-13, 12:13
I just run a GI grip.

The grip is the pivot point of the maneuver. You gotta shift your palm to the right side, but still be grasping the grip with your fingers. It's a quick wrist flip.

That's cool. And I'm definitely not questioning if you can do it, just understanding the whole picture. If you do it, you do it. I hate it when people say something can't be done but I've been doing it. Just because they can't doesn't mean I can't. Can a one armed chick pass MSF and ride motorcycle? You bet.

I ran upstairs to "try" it. Kinda tough trying a new move and no support hand on the handguard, but I can see with practice and finesse how it can be accomplished.

Shorts
02-23-13, 12:17
For real, this is it...
The thread is titled "Why I think ambi controls for righties are bad" - I had some thoughts that I wanted to share and had hoped it would lead to meaningful discussion. I expected resistance, but I had no idea so many people felt so strongly about the need to easily manipulate their weapons from both sides. I never once said that no matter what was said, I wouldn't change my mind. Forums are for sharing ideas and opinions. It's just kinda laughable to me how riled up people get when you question their choice of parts. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. To bring in to question my abilities or training because I made some obversations and wanted other peoples' thoughts on them is honestly a little childish. The reason why I'm refraining from posting in this thread again, is because it's obvious that people like YOU don't want to hear others' opinions. One thing I got out of all this is that if you have a dissenting opinion from the masses, you will be jumped on. I picked up a lot from this thread. In fact, I'll probably pick up an ambi mag release for an upcoming build, I have one on one rifle already. I still wouldn't run an ambi safety. Just my preference. Thanks guys! Carry on!

What is your definition of "meaningful discussion"? Because that there is thrown around a lot these days and it just means "we want to tell you what to do and what you need".

You received feedback opposing your opinion and got upset. Did you actually want a two way discussion or not?

VIP3R 237
02-23-13, 12:25

This argument against running ambi controls is starting to lose weight as more and more rifles and lowers are coming with ambi features built in. At our local 3 gun match yesterday there were few rifles that didn't at least have an ambi selector, and many like myself were running full ambi lowers like my KAC.

Also i truly believe that the next rifle to be used by our armed forces will be ambi of nature. If by chance a new platform isn't chosen, I foresee the military to eventually upgrade their existing rifles to at least ambi selectors.

kmrtnsn
02-23-13, 12:26
Every contract i've ever worked on forbids the modification of any issued weapon. So all of my guns at home have non-ambi controls for that reason. I train support side manipulations with that configuration primarily for that reason.

Secondarily....I just don't like ambi-controls. I don't like the way they feel. I have used a buddies gun that had the B.A.D Ass ambi on it and I hated it. Could I pick it up and use it? Sure...but I'd probably still manipulate the controls shooting support side the same way I do my own rifle.

To each his own I guess....but that's my opinion and how I roll :D

Perhaps a bit of education before "opining" would have been prudent.

Shao
02-23-13, 12:26
People question your training background because you're new here and no one knows what your experience is. You could be an 18 yr old who bought his AR the day after his birthday and has no firearms training nor real world experience whatsoever, in which case your opinion holds less weight as far as "real world" and "general knowledge" than people who have been shooting for decades. But you could also be a 40 yr old spec ops veteran who just retired after your tenth deployment and decided to finally build your own AR.

But no one knows who you are or what you've done, so they're asking. And now I'm curious. What training and experience do you have that has led you to your opinion on ambi controls?

OK, last response for real, I already unsubscribed to the thread, but refreshed the page before closing it and wanted to answer your question. Honestly? I have a little training with ARs. I've been shooting for 29 years (mainly handguns and other long gun platforms). I started shooting IPSC at 12 and within a year I was beating full grown men - police officers, military, an FBI agent, competitive shooters from around the country... I used to work at a gun range and have a lot of time behind the trigger. Like I said, I never claimed to be an expert on ARs. It shouldn't take years of training with a particular weapon to ask some questions and make some observations. I know where a lot of you stand now. If it works for you, then go for it - I never once downed anyone for the choices they've made with their weapons. I've been very open-minded through all of this and I learned some things. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for sharing!

EDIT: ...and that thank you was for the people who actually discussed the topic, shared their thoughts, and brought up valid points instead of giving the "You're an idiot cuz yoo don't run your gun like meeeee" response.

WNY_Whitetailer
02-23-13, 13:08
I like running ambi safety selectors on my ARs. I'm left handed but trained using right handed ARs. I like to have the option of using either left or right controls. You never know what might happen. I see no downside for me running an ambi setup.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

samuse
02-23-13, 13:19
How come?

Because the wrong side selector is always under my index knuckle when I'm indexing the trigger. I hate shit that's ALWAYS in the way just for a tiny little sliver of insignificant occasional percieved convienence every once in a while.

When I draw a 1911 with an ambi, I have to loosen my strong hand grip and mash the safety down into my knuckle, same with an AR.

I've trained to run the safety with the index knuckle on my left hand and 1911s are junk, problem solved.:D

Arctic1
02-23-13, 13:42
I think ambi-controls are very beneficial, mainly because when you are teaching large groups of people to shoot, everyone can do the same weapons manipulation actions, instead of having two different Methods; 1 for lefties and 1 for right handers.

Non-ambi controls cause issues for inexperienced instructors when teaching lefties, if they are not familiar with left handed weapon manipulations.

We only have ambi-safeties on our weapons, but it really helps the south paws. I wish our new guns came with the fully ambi lowers.

Personally, I often use the right-side selector switch when putting my weapon back on safe.

And I don't buy the argument that training with an ambi-lower will mess up your training and performance in a real situation. Last spring we had a competition in the NCO bar, the task was disassembly/assembly of the G3. *I hadn't touched one in over 4 years. Still did it faster than everyone else, and well within the time standard we had.

Littlelebowski
02-23-13, 13:49
For real, this is it...
The thread is titled "Why I think ambi controls for righties are bad" - I had some thoughts that I wanted to share and had hoped it would lead to meaningful discussion. I expected resistance, but I had no idea so many people felt so strongly about the need to easily manipulate their weapons from both sides. I never once said that no matter what was said, I wouldn't change my mind - in fact, if you read the entire thread, you would have seen that I ended up agreeing with many posters' points. Forums are for sharing ideas and opinions. It's just kinda laughable to me how riled up people get when you question their choice of parts. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. To bring in to question my abilities or training because I made some obversations and wanted other peoples' thoughts on them is honestly a little childish. The reason why I'm refraining from posting in this thread again, is because it's obvious that people like YOU don't want to hear others' opinions. One thing I got out of all this is that if you have a dissenting opinion from the masses, you will be jumped on. I picked up a lot from this thread. In fact, I'll probably pick up an ambi mag release for an upcoming build, I have one on one rifle already. I still wouldn't run an ambi safety. Just my preference. Thanks guys! Carry on!

Are you going to try an ambi safety and get some training or soldier, sans experience in what you denounce?

Littlelebowski
02-23-13, 13:50
I use BADASS 45 degree safeties with BCM ambi charging handles. Wish I had these parts along time ago.

MikeCLeonard
02-23-13, 14:02
I set my rifles up completely ambidextrous, because to me, it makes sense to be able to manipulate the weapon from either side exactly the same.

If I ever encountered shit getting put out of place by bumping or snagging, then I might reconsider some choices...but I haven't, nor have a heard about other much more experienced shooters having those problems with similar setups.

As for training with a non-standard...There is almost a 0% chance I'll ever use my AR15 in a fight. Even IF I do find myself in a fight with my long-gun, and IF it goes down...Well, that's why I built two of them which are setup exactly the same:D Actually, the primary reason why I did this is for the event of having one go down during a day of shooting/training. If I defend myself with a firearm...there's probably a 99.99999% chance it will be my Hk P30, because that's what I carry with me every day, and have by me a night. I don't lose sleep over my P30 not being a "standard" for handguns by thinking I might have to pick up a different pistol in a fight...because a standard doesn't really exist. I think "standard" weapons are only relevant military users...and have little-to-no bearing on life as a civilian.

The added weight of my ambi-setup is simply not an issue for me. It makes no noticeable difference.

I think your thoughts/concerns and questions are founded, and worth looking into...but I also think that most here have come to realize that they're theoretical concerns...and don't translate into issues in real-world application.

I don't think folks are trying to defend their gear in this discussion, so much as they're telling you that you're reasons don't hold water in reality...and not everyone will be tactful in response, OR read the entire thread...as this IS the interwebz after all ;)

Duffy
02-23-13, 14:04
Ambidextrous controls add flexibility and functionality, as long as their presence doesn't bring more negative results than benefits (very few of them do), they should be standard, in my opinion, and it's not because we produce one of these controls, and carry others made by other manufacturers.

For a 90 degree throw AR, the trigger finger side lever will interfere a little with the trigger finger. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it does provide the user with tactile feedback on the weapon's SAFE / FIRE condition. It allows the user to use his trigger finger to flick it from FIRE to SAFE, and the ability to manipulate the selector while shooting from his weak side. You never know when you might be required to shoot behind a barricade, or your strong arm might be disabled, or otherwise occupied with something else.

Same goes for ambidextrous mag release, it gives the user the ability to drop the mag from his weak side. You can also use your left hand to wrap around the mag well, grasp the mag, push the left side mag release and pull the mag out.

Often folks don't use these added functions, they are optional. Just because they're there, it doesn't mean one must use them, but the absence of these capabilities means the user has to make do with a limited set of options. Training can usually compensate for it, but why make do, when these controls present great return for their cost?

As to going full retard when one's handed a weapon sans these control he's used to, we deal with this argument a lot. If that were the case, then when you are handed a shotgun/bolt action/HK/SCAR/FAL/AK/anything but an AR, you'd be inclined to treat it like an AR and fumble for AR controls that are missing on these systems, which is of course not true. Training is key. New shooters are clumsy with controls, ambidextrous or not, and experienced users are proficient with controls, ambi or not. Mechanical devices can help, they don't take the place of training.

Biggy
02-23-13, 14:14
IMHO, use whatever you are comfortable with and works for you to win while getting the job done . For "me", there are more pros than there are cons for ambi controls and I concur with the above poster's reply that : the next rifle to be used by our armed forces will be ambi of nature.

3 AE
02-23-13, 15:36
Being cross dominant, left eye dominant, I shoot my rifles from the left side. Only been at this with my ARs for a couple of years. Both ARs are in stock condition. From the left side, I can manipulate the safety selector to the "Safe" position quickly using the base of my forefinger between the knuckle and first joint to flip it up into "Safe". To switch the selector to "Fire", I swing my left thumb over and flip it down into "Fire" and hold it there while still maintaining a grip and can fire as many rounds as required. I swing my thumb back over to a normal grip whenever time allows. I can manipulate the bolt catch with the tip of my trigger finger. For the mag release, I bring my right hand back from the forearm to hit the release. Transitioning to the right side, everything is done the way a right hander would do it.

Where I discovered a problem was during my first beginners class. Practicing malfunction clearing drills from the left side, I was slow and clumsy having to operate the charging handle. Removing my left hand from the grip in order to manipulate the CH and then regrip was throwing me off. Several times I found myself using my right hand trying to pull back on the CH. Oh shit,WTF is happening here? Trying to reach over with my right hand to get to the CH was awkward. It was my brain going into a lock to decide which way to go. It wasn't happening automatically. A little panic creeps in until I was able to sort it out, but the internal clock keeps ticking and the brain is saying "Hurry hurry, hurry"!

Since that was the major problem, I've gone ahead and ordered a couple of BCM Ambi CHs. A classmate let me use his full ambi set up after class was over. Using the ambi CH came quite naturally and so did the Troy ambi mag release that he had. So I'll get the mag release as part of "Phase 2". He had a BADASS setup and I would need to practice with it a lot more. I kept switching to my style, and forget to use my thumb for manipulating the selector. That's just a training issue that will sort itself out with practice. I know I will end up at my destination with a full ambi set up, just taking it step by step.

Learned a lot just from that first class. Previously when I practiced at a range, I basically took my sweet ass time manipulating the controls and all would be well. Having things sped up just a little bit in a beginners class uncovered the deficiencies quickly. The mind and body would get out of sync and a lot of "Oh Shit" happened. All I can say is keep an open mind and work with it, either all at once or step by step.

The_Hammer_Man
02-23-13, 17:01
I'm old enough to remember when the only way to get an Ambi safety selector was to "roll your own".

I also remember the day I got my first set of ambi safeties for my 1911. It was a banner day for me and I've always had ambi's on all my pistols.

Same with all my AR platform weps.

Yes, you can live w/o them but geez, they make my life so much easier I don't WANT to live w/o them :)

Littlelebowski
02-23-13, 17:38
OK, last response for real, I already unsubscribed to the thread, but refreshed the page before closing it and wanted to answer your question. Honestly? I have a little training with ARs. I've been shooting for 29 years (mainly handguns and other long gun platforms). I started shooting IPSC at 12 and within a year I was beating full grown men - police officers, military, an FBI agent, competitive shooters from around the country... I used to work at a gun range and have a lot of time behind the trigger. Like I said, I never claimed to be an expert on ARs. It shouldn't take years of training with a particular weapon to ask some questions and make some observations. I know where a lot of you stand now. If it works for you, then go for it - I never once downed anyone for the choices they've made with their weapons. I've been very open-minded through all of this and I learned some things. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for sharing!

EDIT: ...and that thank you was for the people who actually discussed the topic, shared their thoughts, and brought up valid points instead of giving the "You're an idiot cuz yoo don't run your gun like meeeee" response.

Got it, you've never tried ambi safeties but you have an opinion on them. Brilliant.

Failure2Stop
02-23-13, 18:14

Dude, at this point, I have no idea what you think you are talking about, but I'm assuming it isn't ARs.

ra2bach
02-23-13, 19:57

seriously??? you need to run the gun more...

Warp
02-23-13, 20:05
Got it, you've never tried ambi safeties but you have an opinion on them. Brilliant.

I read through all of this. If this had been post #2, I could have saved the time.

JohnnyC
02-23-13, 20:40

You clearly missed the point of what he's trying to say. Snagging safeties, inadvertently dropped magazines. If you have 4 pencils and I have 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats.

:suicide:

BiggLee71
02-23-13, 20:48
The only time I used the ambi controls when I had my Knights Armament SR15 (E3? the newer ones with the ambi gadgets) is when I was done firing and returned the weapon to "safe" with my trigger finger. I kind of got used to doing that so now I like it!!

AKDoug
02-23-13, 23:00
Dude, at this point, I have no idea what you think you are talking about, but I'm assuming it isn't ARs.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect. Jack, it can be done, but the rifle is held at a retarded angle, basically left handed port arms. Its WAY faster to slide your right hand back off the hand guard (shooting left handed) and hit the release with it. At least then your rifle is still pointed where it should be.

I don't run ambi's because I'm cheap at this point. I've spent my money on ammo and training...and building rifles for the rest of the family. Once I have the money I'll pick up a BAD CASS setup.

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-13, 23:13
If you have 4 pencils and I have 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats.

:suicide:

I've always loved that quote.

And about actuating the safety with your trigger finger. I've actually tried that ever since I shot a VZ58 a few months ago.

It's not bad. But I do prefer the other way. (Flipping your thumb over.)

Evil Colt 6920
02-23-13, 23:38
Jack, it can be done, but the rifle is held at a retarded angle, basically left handed port arms. Its WAY faster to slide your right hand back off the hand guard (shooting left handed) and hit the release with it. At least then your rifle is still pointed where it should be.

When you are releasing your mag with your right hand while shooting lefty, your right hand is NOT reaching for a fresh mag. That doesnt work for me.

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-13, 23:43
When I reload using my right thumb on my right side release, I pretty much ALWAYS do a mag retention reload, because it just seems like good movement economy to me. If I'm gonna be near that mag anyway...

Iraqgunz
02-24-13, 00:44
Good night everyone and thanks for watching.