PDA

View Full Version : Ladder Rail Covers

joesuits4
02-23-13, 09:15
I,m going to purchase the Magpul ladders rail covers for my quad rails. I was wanting to know if most folks cover all four rails or just the two side and bottom rails?

Thank You!

twistedcomrade
02-23-13, 10:37
I leave the top rail open on the one rifle I have that has a quad rail.

Safetyhit
02-23-13, 10:38
I cover what isn't being used at the time.

Seagunner
02-23-13, 12:14
Ladders on top and bottom, but switched to Magpul XTM's on side rails

Jellybean
02-23-13, 12:31
I,m going to purchase the Magpul ladders rail covers for my quad rails. I was wanting to know if most folks cover all four rails or just the two side and bottom rails?

Thank You!

The question is not "what do most folks cover"- the question is "what do I need to cover" and then buy accordingly. ;)

Seriously, if you browse through the picture thread, you'll see dozens of different configurations for the question you ask. There is no "right" way- you figure out through use what you want.

BTW, have you heard of the Larue Clips? A few folks turned me on to them a while back, and they're quite nice- still low profile, but imho, a bit more "bang for your buck" than the ladder covers.

samuse
02-23-13, 13:08
Cover what you want.

I still don't understand what the covers are supposed to do.

I've tried just about all of 'em and they just get on my nerves and I end up taking 'em off.

I say save your money.

ryr8828
02-23-13, 15:21
I put them where my left hand goes and then put them everywhere else if I have some left.

Sentaruu
02-23-13, 15:33

i also do this. i have the DD ladder rail covers and they are very comfortable

shootist1970
02-23-13, 17:11
I cover any rail or portion of rail that doesn't have the flashlight , the flashlight switch or the forward pistol grip attached.....No point leaving the rails exposed to get mounting positions damaged.

Dunderway
02-23-13, 17:33
Cover what you want.

I've tried just about all of 'em and they just get on my nerves and I end up taking 'em off.

I say save your money.

Some rails are borderline being sharp. I have to run something on my KAC RAS, but my Centurion is comfortable with nothing. I think they tumble some of the newer rail systems to make them a little more hand and gear friendly.

Blak1508
02-23-13, 17:49
I like the Larue index clips, dunno if its relevant here but I use them as hand markers and my light markers, it helps somewhat with the heat but minimal.

ra2bach
02-23-13, 19:56
I use them to protect my rails. that means everywhere there is nothing mounted...

NYH1
02-24-13, 02:10
When I had a quad rail on my AR I used the round type covers on the bottom and sides and a ladder type on the top rail.

NYH1.

T-TAC
02-24-13, 06:59
I go all three sides and leave the top open to help with the gun "cooling". I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it.

Shao
02-24-13, 07:11
I'm in agreeance with most folks here. I cover every single unused slot that can be logically covered. I never run ladders on the bottom though and prefer beefier and more ergonomic options like XTM enhanced ot XT panels.

Litpipe
02-24-13, 07:16
I run ladders at 3, 6 and 9 where there is exposed rail. One reason is comfort, the other is protection of the rail.

Does anyone use the Larue index clips? Are they solid(do they fall out)?

jonconsiglio
02-24-13, 07:55
I go back and forth with the covers. Sometimes I use them and sometimes I don't. When I do, it's one strip on each side and for no real reason I might run one on the top.

On the bottom, I'm running stippled LaRue index clips but might remove all covers again and see how it feels.

RHINOWSO
02-24-13, 07:56
On the bottom I usually just have a AFG2 or TD stubby, no covers.

Exposed sides get covers, and if I have extra I put a small portion on the top where my hand / fingers touch the top rail.

Again, do what works for you.

I have XTMs and they are nice but honest am only using them right now because I took them in on trade and am short on rail ladders. At times I've used them on the side and they are comfortable, but kind of a bitch to get on and off?

YMMV,

Shao
02-24-13, 08:03
What I think is interesting is that if you read the stats, rail ladders weigh more per slot covered than most rail cover options. I never would have guessed that. I run them because I like my gun sleek and still want protection for my rails.

Litpipe
02-24-13, 08:34
I go back and forth with the covers. Sometimes I use them and sometimes I don't. When I do, it's one strip on each side and for no real reason I might run one on the top.

On the bottom, I'm running stippled LaRue index clips but might remove all covers again and see how it feels.

Do you like the Larue clips? Do they stay put?

djmorris
02-24-13, 08:37
For the record, you can get the cheaper rail ladders on Amazon for about $12 per FOUR, compared to $12 EACH for the Magpul ones. I am not one to support use of the Made in China special's, but I was quite surprised with the quality of the ladders. They stay snug and secure on my quad-rail just like the Magpul's do and offer the exact same feel for 1/4 the price. Sorry if off topic but for that price you can cover whichever sides you want without spending a lot of money! You won't be disappointed.

(this is coming from somebody who runs strictly BCM, DD, Troy, KAC, and Magpul)

cougar_guy04
02-24-13, 09:03
Same here. I run XTMs or KAC panels on the bottom/side rails and ladder covers on the top rail. My rifles get knocked around a bit so I'd rather have the cheaper insurance of have the rails covered.

jonconsiglio
02-24-13, 09:08

They're great, especially stippled. I have twelve in front of my Tango Down vert grip. They've been on for over a year. I've used that rifle in numerous classes and regular training (until recently with ammo shortage).

I also use it as my hunting rifle. We hunt on one of two ranches and beat the hell out of gear.... and ourselves.... by doing all kinds of stupid shit. Never once has a clip come off.

They're actually pretty hard to get off with your hand. A tool works best. After stippling, I noticed they were slightly easier to get off, but after banging into trees and car doors/frames, using that part of my rifle on support, using it to push through foliage and brush, still no problems.

This is from last year shortly after I put them on.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7077/6943376412_3d6e0f446f_c.jpg

Litpipe
02-24-13, 09:10
Good to know. Im ordering one of their covert rifle cases, i may have to get those clips too.

JSantoro
02-24-13, 12:41
I use them to protect my rails. that means everywhere there is nothing mounted...

Bingo. Those that don't know what the things are for, are those that haven't diddy-bopped around mountainous or otherwise rocky terrain, or even enough city-scapes, had their guns bounced off of the environment, and noted what that does to the rail slots. It can be pretty bad, the gouges and dings a gun will pick up. Some will have seen this....

Ladders often aren't nearly enough, in those environments; not enough material, and made of material that's too soft. The only form of protection they provide is to one's hands from rail corners; beyond a certain point, they provide no real protection to the rails themselves.

Love the LaRue clips. No cutting, modular, great solution for running cables (if you need to run cables)....

snakedoctor
02-24-13, 14:16
Ive always liked the Surefire made rail ladders. They seem to be a little more low proflie than other rail ladders.

Blak1508
02-24-13, 14:55
Bingo. Those that don't know what the things are for, are those that haven't diddy-bopped around mountainous or otherwise rocky terrain, or even enough city-scapes, had their guns bounced off of the environment, and noted what that does to the rail slots. It can be pretty bad, the gouges and dings a gun will pick up. Some will have seen this....

Ladders often aren't nearly enough, in those environments; not enough material, and made of material that's too soft. The only form of protection they provide is to one's hands from rail corners; beyond a certain point, they provide no real protection to the rails themselves.

Love the LaRue clips. No cutting, modular, great solution for running cables (if you need to run cables)....

Mr Santoro, I think we just had our first heart to heart:D means I'm learning. Although I have yet to have these dings and gouges, well I'm still wet behind the ears, hopefully I will have many personality marks on my DD by the time I die or the AR to die which ever comes first. But I plan and try to run my rifle hard but I'm glad that one of the first things I listened to when you guys spoke was to ditch the ladder rails and grab the clips.

Blak1508
02-24-13, 15:03

I will put it to you like this, you need a Dillo to get them off!

7.62WildBill
02-24-13, 15:07
Another vote for the LaRue index clips. Very difficult to remove without a "dillo".

edit: Blak and I had the same thought at nearly the same time!

Superhero
02-24-13, 19:06
Those LaRue clips look great. Might have to give them a try.

wburns
02-24-13, 19:14
I will put it to you like this, you need a Dillo to get them off!

And here I thought that thing was just for opening a cold one!!

Good reading here, I have the magpul ladder covers on my Mossberg 464 but I have yet to hang a bunch of stuff on any of my ARs, so no quad rails at this point.

tb-av
02-24-13, 19:14
Another +1 on the Larue clips.

ra2bach
02-24-13, 19:53
What I think is interesting is that if you read the stats, rail ladders weigh more per slot covered than most rail cover options. I never would have guessed that. I run them because I like my gun sleek and still want protection for my rails.

ladders for me... I don't like the rail covers that basically make it like a tubular handguard. I like DD Omega X rails because of the tall bottom rail profile - it allows me to hook my support fingers into it and I wouldn't be able to do that with a KAC or Magpul type panel.

that and the fact that I bought a blue gazillion of the things when BOtach had them for $1.50 each... :D

FlyAndFight
02-25-13, 08:20
Whatever is exposed can be damaged, so I use a mix of Magpul XTMs, Larue clips, even cut-to-fit sections of ladders (under one Aimpoint, for example).

legumeofterror
02-25-13, 10:32
I don't have anywhere to put rail covers. Better buy a quadrail.

Col_Crocs
02-25-13, 10:40
Ladders often aren't nearly enough, in those environments; not enough material, and made of material that's too soft. The only form of protection they provide is to one's hands from rail corners
This. I find them too soft that a little thumb pressure alone depresses them into the rail slot. Magpul ones are a tad stifffer though but the Larues are probably the lowest profile functional panels you can get.

markm
02-25-13, 10:52
I buy the Chinese LaRue clips from Alibaba. The texture is better... a little more rough.. and you don't give LaRue any business.

Plus they're literally a FRACTION of the cost. You win thrice, brother!

tb-av
02-25-13, 11:51
I buy the Chinese LaRue clips from Alibaba. The texture is better... a little more rough.. and you don't give LaRue any business.

Yeah, but you didn't get a hat with a tactical clip carrier on both sides!

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15583&stc=1&d=1361814562

markm
02-25-13, 11:52

Which means I don't have to throw a hat in the garbage. :p

tb-av
02-25-13, 11:56
LOL,,, now that's just mean.

Shao
02-25-13, 12:19

I actually have to agree that the Chinese clips are GTG. I bought some "LaRue" clips from an Ebay vendor with very high seller ratings and lots of definitely authentic gear. When they arrived, they were obviously in cheap counterfeit packaging - I messaged the seller, who promptly made up some BS about how he acquired them from a sporting goods store that was going out of business, and got my money back. I decided to pop some onto my Surefire M69 for shits and giggles. I ran them through the obligatory 12 ga recoil test and suprisingly, they held fine. They've held up since through many, many rounds. I would of course rather have the real thing.

91advrunner
02-25-13, 12:28
I had the LaRue clips that came with my hand stop kit and I put them on originally, but later decided to get the magpul textured rail covers. When I tried to take the clips off 3 broke because of how hard they were to get off. So make sure you like where they are!

drck1000
02-25-13, 13:00

That's pretty much what I do. There are some small gaps here and there in front and back of where the Aimpoint is mounted and near the front sight, but mostly covered.

I like the ERGO panels the best. They seem to have a decent amount of raised portion above the rail itself. I've bought some cheaper ones on Amazon and they are flatter and don't have as much raised portion and some are almost flush with the outer face of the rail.

kdcgrohl
02-25-13, 13:22
I use stippled KAC covers, usually three per rifle(9, 6 & 3) in conjunction with a hand-stop.

I used to use ladders to cover all the other open slots, but have recently discontinued this because it's stupid. Do you really need to cover those few slots between the Aimpoint and the BUIS? No, the answer is no. Personally, if it isn't already covered with an optic, BUIS, light mount or rail cover, I'll take my chances.

As for using ladders as the only rail cover, they're too low profile and soft to offer any real impact protection.

Iraqgunz
02-25-13, 14:38
He was being a smart ass. The bigger issue other than quality is that they are knocking off American made products and hurting our businesses.

I actually have to agree that the Chinese clips are GTG. I bought some "LaRue" clips from an Ebay vendor with very high seller ratings and lots of definitely authentic gear. When they arrived, they were obviously in cheap counterfeit packaging - I messaged the seller, who promptly made up some BS about how he acquired them from a sporting goods store that was going out of business, and got my money back. I decided to pop some onto my Surefire M69 for shits and giggles. I ran them through the obligatory 12 ga recoil test and suprisingly, they held fine. They've held up since through many, many rounds. I would of course rather have the real thing.

ra2bach
02-25-13, 15:37

what is Alibaba? I googled the name and it brings up a wholesale company. got a link?..

Superhero
02-25-13, 15:40
Which case is that if you don't mind me asking. I like how it is set up in your picture.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15583&stc=1&d=1361814562

Shao
02-25-13, 15:59
He was being a smart ass. The bigger issue other than quality is that they are knocking off American made products and hurting our businesses.

I feel you on that one.. Sorry if it sounded like I was endorsing counterfeit crap. My little brother was big into the airsoft thing for awhile so I had a chance to check out some of his knockoff crap - some were almost indistinguishable from the real thing, but most were total crap and obviously fake. He had a pair of Troy sights that LOOKED real until you actually touched them. They were so poorly constructed that the entire assembly was loose - like literally every moving part was rattly (rattley?). I think that most people who have handled the real versions or even quality gear period could tell the difference.

what is Alibaba? I googled the name and it brings up a wholesale company. got a link?..

Check out www.aliexpress.com - I check it out periodically to see what's being counterfeited... You're going to be amazed at what you'll find there... Noveske, DD, LaRue, Eotech, Troy, VLTOR... Every once in awhile I'll get a wild hair up my butt and look on Ebay for people trying to sell counterfeits as the real thing and bust them. It really chaps my hide...

jstalford
02-25-13, 15:59

Same company. They sell all sorts of counterfeit/knock off shit. I wouldn't give them a penny...

On topic, I installed some Larue Clips this weekend, and I have a really hard time believing they will ever come off unintentionally.

Shao
02-25-13, 16:14
Same company. They sell all sorts of counterfeit/knock off shit. I wouldn't give them a penny...

On topic, I installed some Larue Clips this weekend, and I have a really hard time believing they will ever come off unintentionally.

Alibaba/Aliexpress doesn't sell the stuff themselves. It's a portal for Chinese vendors to sell things directly to US customers. They have a feedback system like Ebay and will mediate if you don't receive your products...etc... I've used them to buy LED driver circuits, cheap flashlights and a SRM knife or two for stocking stuffers. There are legitimate businesses selling there - just use common sense. How would a company in China end up with LaRue freefloat rails and why would they be so cheap??? If you know what you're buying, I would say it's a safe place to shop. I bought some drivers for a project I was working on was sent the wrong product - I took a picture and was refunded completely within 24 hours.

discreet
02-25-13, 20:18
Cover what you want.

I say save your money.

They protect your hands and rails :)
Also these wouldnt get in the way. Ladders sit flush with the rail and basically just fill the gaps. Also takes sharp edges and snag points away.

tb-av
02-25-13, 23:19
Which case is that if you don't mind me asking. I like how it is set up in your picture.

You can set it up any way like with the dividers.

It's LaRue design made by Tactical Taylor
That's a 16" upper and there is no more room to spare in that direction.

http://www.laruetactical.com/covert-rifle-case-mkII

greeneggsandsam
02-27-13, 10:51
Another vote for Larue index clips.

Easy customization, can hold your wires, durable, and from a great Company right here in texas...what's not to like?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/samurai_o0/photo20_zpsefb9245d.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/samurai_o0/photo18_zps5bd500ad.jpg

and of course, swag that was included with the order...Thanks Larue!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/samurai_o0/photo19_zpsf03e0b85.jpg

ra2bach
02-27-13, 10:53
Another vote for Larue index clips.

Easy customization, can hold your wires, durable, and from a great Company right here in texas...what's not to like?

the price?..

markm
02-27-13, 10:53
...what's not to like?

The idiot owner. :jester:

the price?..

That too! Buy the Ching Pow version. Get like 4 kits for the price of one of cuckoo LaRue's price.

greeneggsandsam
02-27-13, 11:11
Not sure I can agree/disagree with you since I don't know Mark Larue personally lol..

The price is maybe $15 more (at most) than what normal ladder covers cost. And as you can see, the index clips cover the bottom, right, and left rails of my 12" rail.

IMO, I think the extra $15 is worth it. Also, like others have said, I also feel the index clips feel much much better and offer better heat protection than the rail covers that came with my rifle.

ra2bach
02-27-13, 11:53
Not sure I can agree/disagree with you since I don't know Mark Larue personally lol..

The price is maybe $15 more (at most) than what normal ladder covers cost. And as you can see, the index clips cover the bottom, right, and left rails of my 12" rail.

IMO, I think the extra $15 is worth it. Also, like others have said, I also feel the index clips feel much much better and offer better heat protection than the rail covers that came with my rifle.

actually, in my case, it's more like $40 extra. I got mine for $1.50/ea.

but nonetheless, I just don't see what they do that is much more special than ladders. maybe because I don't ask them to do anything more than protect the rail slots from damage...

ra2bach
02-27-13, 11:55
That too! Buy the Ching Pow version. Get like 4 kits for the price of one of cuckoo LaRue's price.

dude. link me. on the DL if you have to...

I'm dying to see what all the fuss is about...

markm
02-27-13, 12:02
See if this works... Buy 4 sets and the price is below $8. :eek:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LaRue-IndexClips-72-piece-set-with-2pcs-HandStop-set-rail-covers-Black-free-shipping/506233544.html

You can shop around and find other colors.

Safetyhit
02-27-13, 12:10

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LaRue-IndexClips-72-piece-set-with-2pcs-HandStop-set-rail-covers-Black-free-shipping/506233544.html

Now I can buy a set for Grandma, which admittedly I've been callously putting off.

ra2bach
02-27-13, 20:12

You can shop around and find other colors.

well that's pretty cool. I might give this newfangled young person's shit a go. maybe...

I got professional conflicts with the IP issues here. I need to find out who's idea this really is. personality aside, I won't shit on American ingenuity...

Superhero
03-04-13, 16:37
Thanks!

You can set it up any way like with the dividers.

It's LaRue design made by Tactical Taylor
That's a 16" upper and there is no more room to spare in that direction.

http://www.laruetactical.com/covert-rifle-case-mkII

Blak1508
03-04-13, 16:41
I orderd mine on jan 28 and still have yet to get it, I called about a week ago and still nothing. ( the LaRue bag)

tb-av
03-04-13, 17:14
You probably have about 2 more weeks or so. I ordered on 12/14 and it's only been here maybe two weeks now, I forget.

They shipped the rail clips right out. the case took a long time. I think I ordered an extra velco hold down and I think that might still be on back order.

I looked on TOS and they have a numbered list by invoice number. My number was right in the region of all the others so I never called or emailed. It showed up pretty much in the same time frame everyone else was having to wait.

You will get an email when they process it. Then it's just shipping time.

Blak1508
03-04-13, 19:02
You probably have about 2 more weeks or so. I ordered on 12/14 and it's only been here maybe two weeks now, I forget.

They shipped the rail clips right out. the case took a long time. I think I ordered an extra velco hold down and I think that might still be on back order.

I looked on TOS and they have a numbered list by invoice number. My number was right in the region of all the others so I never called or emailed. It showed up pretty much in the same time frame everyone else was having to wait.

You will get an email when they process it. Then it's just shipping time.

Cool thanks for the intel, soooooo worth the wait?:D yeah I was told a few more weeks when I had called, I am cool with that, I figure they have more pressing things to get to and it will come when it does...

domestique
03-05-13, 03:54
I leave the top rails open, Use some rails for grip (i.e. KAC hand stops etc.) and use Magpul ladder rails to protect the rails from dings etc. that would damage them.

tb-av
03-05-13, 08:16
Cool thanks for the intel, soooooo worth the wait?:D

I think so. Still getting it organized. I wanted to carry the AR and my 1911 in same case ( can easily fit two pistols on top of each other if you put a cushion between ). So that works fine. Midway had a molle panel for mags that I think would have attached to the lid and folded right over the 1911 well but it was made for double stack mags and I'm afraid my single stacks will fall out.

The velcro is very nice though. Things stay put where you line it up. Might eventually add a shoulder pad to the strap but it's really not needed. That's why I didn't get a solid molded case. I just didn't need or want the extra weight and it's a lot better then flopping around in a gym bag. So yeah, it's good utility in a middle of the road durability/security light case.

ETA: Back to the LaRue clips... if you put them next to a swivel mount hole or if you have a Centurion rail where the screws hold the rail together... you will have to dremel them a bit. the screw head prevents the clip from seating fully and the barrel of the push-button QR will require the clip beside it have it's edge recessed a bit. A simple ball shaped grinder bit should take care of both situations.

654Boomer
03-05-13, 19:29

I concur . . . same here. :smile:

mauser-nagant
03-06-13, 21:13
I like to cover where my hand will be in contact with the rail.
Larue index clips are pretty cool too.