PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Tell People.....

Jellybean
02-23-13, 13:04
.... That you're a bitter clinging gun toter?
Ok maybe not that bad- let me explain;

I'm sure we've all been in that awkward situation where you're having a conversation with somebody you don't really know- or even people you do know but aren't totally familiar with, (IE extended family) whose position on this topic is not clear (or unknown) and given that persons known (or unknown) personality could set off a huge debate you want no part of, and the conversation turns to personal topics and they ask the dreaded question...

"SO... what do you like to do for fun?" or "What are your hobbies?"

And the only answer you have is "Shoot guns, and generally obsess over everything related to them." :p

How do you guys work that situation?

I was just in a similar situation- I am looking into possibly returning to college, and the counselor I talked to.... well, sometimes, you can just *tell* which way people lean by their speech and personality, and given that this was on a college campus, when she asked "so what do you like to do?" I was like "umm....."
Somehow I didn't get the feeling she'd get all warm and fuzzy if I said "shoot guns"....

R0CKETMAN
02-23-13, 13:17
Follow the same key principle to a happy marriage

Keep Your Mouth Shut

PA PATRIOT
02-23-13, 13:24
I don't hide or apologize for my hobbies to everyone, if they ask I will simply say I hunt, shoot competitively and plink. I could care less want their personal opinion of my hobbies are and if they say something adversarial to draw me into some left wing debate I will bluntly state that they have their opinion and I have mine so lets move onto something else or end the conversation all together.

Now if they have compatible interests then we will have something in common to discuss but as I will not accept anyone pushing their views on me I in turn will not force mine on them.

SteyrAUG
02-23-13, 13:30
I tell all new people I'm a radical Marxist/Leninist and I have all those guns because I'm waiting for the November revolution when the people will rise up and depose the aristocracy and create a workers paradise.

RMiller
02-23-13, 13:57
I tell all new people I'm a radical Marxist/Leninist and I have all those guns because I'm waiting for the November revolution when the people will rise up and depose the aristocracy and create a workers paradise.

I'll have to use this sometime :D

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-23-13, 14:00
I tell it like it is, dont like it? Too bad.

I like collecting, shooting, and learning about firearms and their history. I am passionate about gun rights, self defense, and I spend way too much money on my lifestyle, but I am happy.

PA PATRIOT
02-23-13, 14:12

Nothing like volunteering for the "No Buy" NIC list as a domestic terrorist once that person rats you out to the FBI or H/S. :D

MountainRaven
02-23-13, 14:27
Nothing like volunteering for the "No Buy" NIC list as a domestic terrorist once that person rats you out to the FBI or H/S. :D

Not if you tell them that the November Revolution will be in support of Comrade-President Obama.

;)

SteyrAUG
02-23-13, 14:55

May I quote Lincoln?

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it.

Shao
02-23-13, 15:17
I tell it like it is, dont like it? Too bad.

This...

...and if they're offended by my hobby, I would probably find them to be extrememly obnoxious and therefore not worth my time.

glocktogo
02-23-13, 15:43
I simply tell them I'm a competitive shooter and firearms safety instructor. If they have questions, I'll politely answer them. If they cast judgement, I'll politely dismiss them as unwelcome in my presence. :)

duece71
02-23-13, 15:53
"I am a liberal minded Democrat that deeply believes in Obama and I have a few guns". Yes.....those are my 2 hobbies.

3 AE
02-23-13, 16:09
Whenever that situation arises, it depends on who it is. An extended family member or a good neighbor, they already know anyway since I wouldn't deal with them otherwise. A stranger, I lie all the time. "I'm into bird watching, strip joints, and wine"! Until I know them better, they are not going to get into my world when it comes to firearms. If it relates to a shooting incident. I tell them them how tragic it is and we need to do something about it, without going into details. I find that most people can't help themselves telling you their view on everything. Let them make the first move and take it from there. It's better to know more about them than it is for them to know anything about you. I hate to say it, but be like a politician when the situation calls for it. Then act accordingly.

SteyrAUG
02-23-13, 16:24
Honestly I use the event not to qualify myself to other people but to qualify if those other people will be part of my life at all and to what extent.

Moose-Knuckle
02-23-13, 16:53
The gray man principle applies here.

montanadave
02-23-13, 17:42
That's one of the nicer things about a rural state. Some folks are into shooting and hunting, some folks ain't. But it's commonplace and doesn't really raise anybody's eyebrows or create some sort of social barrier. More like "Coke or Pepsi?"

3 AE
02-23-13, 17:50
That's one of the nicer things about a rural state. Some folks are into shooting and hunting, some folks ain't. But it's commonplace and doesn't really raise anybody's eyebrows or create some sort of social barrier. More like "Coke or Pepsi?"

Gosh, I remember Oregon being like that up until about ten years ago. The way things are going here, it won't be long before they try to ban both Coke and Pepsi. Seriously, no shit. :mad:

Alaskapopo
02-23-13, 18:21
.... That you're a bitter clinging gun toter?
Ok maybe not that bad- let me explain;

I'm sure we've all been in that awkward situation where you're having a conversation with somebody you don't really know- or even people you do know but aren't totally familiar with, (IE extended family) whose position on this topic is not clear (or unknown) and given that persons known (or unknown) personality could set off a huge debate you want no part of, and the conversation turns to personal topics and they ask the dreaded question...

"SO... what do you like to do for fun?" or "What are your hobbies?"

And the only answer you have is "Shoot guns, and generally obsess over everything related to them." :p

How do you guys work that situation?

I was just in a similar situation- I am looking into possibly returning to college, and the counselor I talked to.... well, sometimes, you can just *tell* which way people lean by their speech and personality, and given that this was on a college campus, when she asked "so what do you like to do?" I was like "umm....."
Somehow I didn't get the feeling she'd get all warm and fuzzy if I said "shoot guns"....

Tell her you enjoy outdoor activities or the shooting sports.
Pat

Kfgk14
02-23-13, 20:04
My college interviewer way back in the day somehow didn't freak when I said I was into shooting sports...guy actually asked me about it some more, said he was potentially interested, and a few years later I saw him at a local range...pretty cool.
Probably no longer the case anywhere in the country, ever.

montanadave
02-23-13, 20:26
My college interviewer way back in the day somehow didn't freak when I said I was into shooting sports...guy actually asked me about it some more, said he was potentially interested, and a few years later I saw him at a local range...pretty cool.
Probably no longer the case anywhere in the country, ever.

Kind of a funny story along those lines. When my ex-wife was getting her master's degree in land reclamation, one of the department heads hosted a BBQ for all the new grad students. This was at Montana State and the department included majors in range science, environmental science, land reclamation, etc. and there were students from all over, including more than a few who could affectionately be characterized as tree-huggers.

So everybody shows up at this professor's home with people congregating in the yard around the grill, picnic tables, and trough of iced down beers. Then one gal from back east returns from using the bathroom and is just ashen-faced. Well, it turns out the professor is an absolute big game hunting maniac and his ****ing house is like the "see 'em dead" zoo. There's everything from a standing Kodiak bear (which he had the ceiling raised in his den to accommodate) to mounted prairie dog toilet paper holders in the shitter. I'm not exaggerating a bit in saying there were a minimum of a fifty big game mounts in his house. This guy lived to hunt and had taken trophy animals all over the world.

And the looks on some of those students faces after taking the tour was absolutely priceless. :laugh:

Gramps
02-23-13, 20:45
Hold my beer, Watch this!

Jellybean
02-23-13, 23:45

An "A" for originality.... :laugh:

This...

...and if they're offended by my hobby, I would probably find them to be extrememly obnoxious and therefore not worth my time.

I'll second that.

The problem is, a LOT is riding on people "liking me" as stupid as that sounds, right now (remember Hunger Games? Yeah, it's like that...:p ). So I can't default to my usual "screw you guys I'm goin' home" if they don't agree or get "offended". :rolleyes:

I already usually do a combo of what Rocketman, 3AE and Alaskapopo mentioned- shut up, and either talk about "outdoor activites" or change the topic ASAP.
Problem is, I've moved away from some other stuff I've done, so the main "hobby" focus right now is with shooting, and I just don't have any other answer to give when this comes up.
Maybe I should take up bird watching....
I've done some of that before....with a firearm...:ph34r:

SMETNA
02-24-13, 00:32
Only my most trusted friends know I enjoy shooting and training. Everyone else: OPSEC

3 AE
02-24-13, 03:12
C'mon guys. If you haven't learned to be able to "Blow smoke up peoples asses" by now, you've really let Mr. Darwin down! :D Okay, I'll capitulate on this point. I tell them that "I'm Pro-Life. I believe in the preservation of life through any and all legal means." That usually leaves them wondering,"WTF"? I like that!

Koshinn
02-24-13, 03:17
I ask them their opinion on gun control. Then I tell them their opinion is factually wrong and proceed to break their will and mind with logic and America. Only then when they want to own a firearm that I tell them I own several and offer assistance in training and buying.

If they don't break via logic and America, I either move to water boarding or I stop wasting my time and just never tell them about my personally owned weapons.

Magic_Salad0892
02-24-13, 03:24
I tell them I enjoy learning everything I can about anything, music, films, and I shoot. A lot.

Magic_Salad0892
02-24-13, 03:28
proceed to break their will and mind with logic and America..

Holy shit. I've never heard a better sentence. LOL.

Koshinn
02-25-13, 02:44
Holy shit. I've never heard a better sentence. LOL.

Haha thanks!

Smuckatelli
02-25-13, 08:21
From my background; retired Infantry Gunny, Scout Sniper...it is always assumed that I had an arsenal. Many are shocked that my collection only consists of three rifles and two handguns....they expect a lot more.

On the other hand, many have been shocked that my oldest daughter competed in High Power Matches for a couple of years. She was in the top 2% of her high school class. She doesn't 'look' like someone that could shoot a rifle. Her NROTC scholarship is for culture & language and her past history threw off all of her Midshipman classman to include the LCDR. It was a little funny, when the LCDR found out about her history and my background.....she was concerned that I would try to start a shooting team at her school.

Something a little different but along the same theme..'How do you tell people.' A buddy of mine came over to the house in November; his wife wanted to swap Christmas Cookie recipies. We met them while Tomas was gong through cancer treatment, their daughter was diagnosed about a year after we started the journey. So the wives are in the kitchen, the kids are playing and naturally the two of us started talking about guns. We went down to the safe, he wanted to check out the 901 that my buddy purchased and I was storing in the safe. While we were talking, he asked if I would like to see his carry pistol. I said yes so he went to his car to get it.

I asked him why it wasn't in his holster, he didn't want to affend me so he unholstered and downloaded before he came into the house.

So do I put up a sign that says CCW welcome, leave gun in holster except if there is a need for it? :confused:

Ironman8
02-25-13, 08:49
As for the OP's question, it's pretty simple. I wouldn't tell anyone anything that they don't need to know...especially if it's someone you don't know very well, or at all.

Tell them you enjoy cooking, eating, or whatever. Even if it's a lie, how would they ever know? I used to play baseball, so that was an easy one for me, but now that I don't, I just stick to working out and being outdoors. Here in TX, saying that you like hunting and fishing (which I do) usually won't get any kind of reaction...even though it indirectly tells them you're a gun owner.

As MK said, be the gray man. Usually always the better option.

Something a little different but along the same theme..'How do you tell people.' A buddy of mine came over to the house in November; his wife wanted to swap Christmas Cookie recipies. We met them while Tomas was gong through cancer treatment, their daughter was diagnosed about a year after we started the journey. So the wives are in the kitchen, the kids are playing and naturally the two of us started talking about guns. We went down to the safe, he wanted to check out the 901 that my buddy purchased and I was storing in the safe. While we were talking, he asked if I would like to see his carry pistol. I said yes so he went to his car to get it.

I asked him why it wasn't in his holster, he didn't want to affend me so he unholstered and downloaded before he came into the house.

So do I put up a sign that says CCW welcome, leave gun in holster except if there is a need for it? :confused:

Smuck, I've been in the same situation, only in reverse. I don't usually carry into people's homes that I don't know very well simply because I don't know their stance and want to respect their rules. May not be what everyone agrees with, but I'll only bring it in if the topic comes up and it's requested or whatever....although I won't clear the chamber unless we're taking it out of the holster for "show and tell". If it's at a larger public event/gathering, then I'll be carrying.

brickboy240
02-25-13, 12:46
Well...I am in Texas so things are different.

We normally do not have to hide the fact that we are shooters. Mostly because almost everyone shoots, hunts or owns guns here.

It is not some sort of "scarlet letter" in Texas to admit to shooting guns or owning guns.

In fact...I would be sad if it was...

-brickboy240

Koshinn
02-25-13, 13:08
Smuck, I've been in the same situation, only in reverse. I don't usually carry into people's homes that I don't know very well simply because I don't know their stance and want to respect their rules. May not be what everyone agrees with, but I'll only bring it in if the topic comes up and it's requested or whatever....although I won't clear the chamber unless we're taking it out of the holster for "show and tell". If it's at a larger public event/gathering, then I'll be carrying.

My Mom's friend invited me over for Christmas last year and so I made a road trip from OK to Austin, as I don't have a lot of family nearby being active duty mil. I concealed carry of course. I carried into the house because I was going to stay there a few days. Anyway at one point we got to talking about guns. As you (not you specifically) may or may not know, Austin is kind of the red headed stepchild of Texas, it's very leftwing. So my Mom asked me "do you have a gun with you?" in front of everyone and I was like, "no, I don't... and I definitely am not wearing one right now under your nose." Which I was, but they were never the wiser.

Ironman8
02-25-13, 13:37
My Mom's friend invited me over for Christmas last year and so I made a road trip from OK to Austin, as I don't have a lot of family nearby being active duty mil. I concealed carry of course. I carried into the house because I was going to stay there a few days. Anyway at one point we got to talking about guns. As you (not you specifically) may or may not know, Austin is kind of the red headed stepchild of Texas, it's very leftwing. So my Mom asked me "do you have a gun with you?" in front of everyone and I was like, "no, I don't... and I definitely am not wearing one right now under your nose." Which I was, but they were never the wiser.

Ha! Yeah gotta love flying under the radar like that. Kinda like the other day I was carrying my SBR into my apartment in my tennis racket case when a new next door neighbor walked out and spotted it. He had been moving all day and said "whew, man I'd much rather be playing tennis right now!"...I just smiled and said "yeah don't blame ya!" lol...if only he knew...and mind you, I look NOTHING like a tennis player lol.

Anyway, back on topic, I do struggle a bit with the "to carry or not to" when I'm at someone's elses house that I don't know well. And to be honest, I've gotten more into the attitude of "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission", but it just depends I guess. I just remembered that I did recently carry at an "engagement party" that was mostly outside in the backyard, but it was nighttime, so I felt more comfortable doing so. Either way, I never show my hand and don't usually engage in conversation about what guns I do or don't own. Nobody NEEDS to know that.

Alaskapopo
02-25-13, 13:47
Ha! Yeah gotta love flying under the radar like that. Kinda like the other day I was carrying my SBR into my apartment in my tennis racket case when a new next door neighbor walked out and spotted it. He had been moving all day and said "whew, man I'd much rather be playing tennis right now!"...I just smiled and said "yeah don't blame ya!" lol...if only he knew...and mind you, I look NOTHING like a tennis player lol.

Anyway, back on topic, I do struggle a bit with the "to carry or not to" when I'm at someone's elses house that I don't know well. And to be honest, I've gotten more into the attitude of "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission", but it just depends I guess. I just remembered that I did recently carry at an "engagement party" that was mostly outside in the backyard, but it was nighttime, so I felt more comfortable doing so. Either way, I never show my hand and don't usually engage in conversation about what guns I do or don't own. Nobody NEEDS to know that.

In Alaska the way our carry law works you need the home owners permission to carry on their property. So in that case fogivness is not better than permisison.
Pat

Koshinn
02-25-13, 13:51

I occasionally think about that too, then I remember two things.
1) It's concealed, they shouldn't even notice. Even under days of observation, they never noticed I had a gun.
2) There was a shooting in TX I believe at a restaurant or diner. One woman had a gun, but left it in her car. As a result, the shooter killed her parents and she was left with a lot of guilt because she might have been able to save her parents' life if only she brought her gun into the restaurant in her purse. I don't ever want to be in that position.

Ironman8
02-25-13, 14:16
In Alaska the way our carry law works you need the home owners permission to carry on their property. So in that case fogivness is not better than permisison.
Pat

After some quick research to confirm my thoughts, the only thing that carries the weight of law for private property in TX when it comes to private property is the 30.06 sign. If there is no sign, then all they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave (which I absolutely would) then it may turn into a trespassing charge.

http://www.txchia.org/txcarry.htm

Ironman8
02-25-13, 14:22
I occasionally think about that too, then I remember two things.
1) It's concealed, they shouldn't even notice. Even under days of observation, they never noticed I had a gun.
2) There was a shooting in TX I believe at a restaurant or diner. One woman had a gun, but left it in her car. As a result, the shooter killed her parents and she was left with a lot of guilt because she might have been able to save her parents' life if only she brought her gun into the restaurant in her purse. I don't ever want to be in that position.

I completely agree on all accounts ;)

Kfgk14
02-25-13, 16:13
A friend of mine was our designated driver one night in college, and he was carrying. But by chance him and this chick hit it off.
So they're flirting and such, dancing, things are looking good for him, and we get ready to leave. She joins us, we all go back to his apartment (I was one room down the hall in that building). We're having more drinks, playing music and the like and they're rapidly getting more antsy/physical, so I leave them "to it".

Just before I fall asleep I hear a shriek from his dorm room, and make the normal assumptions one might make about consenting adults making noise late at night...
The next morning, I ask him how it went.

"Well, we hit the bed, and I forgot I was carrying, and when I dropped my pants my holster got hung up on my drawers and stayed there."

She apparently was a bit shook up by meeting an entirely different gun than had been expected :lol:
Best way to tell someone you carry, ever!

(OBTW they're now married, still the best story about the two of them)

threeheadeddog
02-25-13, 16:35
I dont apologize, I dont deflect, and I dont blow smoke(in this instance). Like Steyr said, I use it as an instance to decide if someone is worth being around. People dont have to agree with me, but if you head is so far up your ass that you already have the foregone conclusion that my gun owning offends you than you can take your pussy ass somewhere else.
There are many that I associate with who know that I own guns who dont "approve" of them or not in the way people on this site tend lean in our gun purchases. Noone that I associate with, other than directly work relateded, is aggressive about their anti-gunness though.

threeheadeddog
02-25-13, 16:45
I dont apologize, I dont deflect, and I dont blow smoke(in this instance). Like Steyr said, I use it as an instance to decide if someone is worth being around. People dont have to agree with me, but if you head is so far up your ass that you already have the foregone conclusion that my gun owning offends you than you can take your pussy ass somewhere else.
There are many that I associate with who know that I own guns who dont "approve" of them or not in the way people on this site tend lean in our gun purchases. Noone that I associate with, other than directly work relateded, is aggressive about their anti-gunness though.

BTW this seems to work. I have "converted" a few at work and made many who were neutral see some sense. Dont wast your time on the morons. Smart people are willing to listen and debate. In the case of the 2nd the debate is easy because we really do have most of the answers.