PDA

View Full Version : big scratch inside my 870 barrel...problem?

GrandPooba
02-23-13, 13:45
I have a decent sized scratch inside my 870 barrel (18.5in cylinder bore) about 1.5 inches from the muzzle.

The scratch itself is about 0.5 inches long and is very noticeable. I would be hesitant to call it a gouge, as the scratch is not that deep. But it is pretty big and noticeable.

Will it cause accuracy issues with slugs, or spread issues with buckshot?

GH41
02-23-13, 14:26
Are you sure it isn't a skid mark left by a wad or shot? Try an aggressive cleaning before worrying about it. If it is a scratch you could take it out with a brake cylinder hone but I doubt it is hurting anything. GH

GrandPooba
02-23-13, 16:47
yes I did clean the barrel with a brush and solvent.

Rest of the bore is shiny and clean except for this large scratch

Litpipe
02-23-13, 16:55
What what the cause?

GrandPooba
02-23-13, 17:30
I don't know. first time I've noticed it.

GH41
02-23-13, 18:56
yes I did clean the barrel with a brush and solvent.

Rest of the bore is shiny and clean except for this large scratch

Put a bronze brush in a cordless drill on high speed to it and call me in the morning. GH

GeorgiaBoy
02-23-13, 21:34
Is it just a scratch? (Not a deep gash)?

Is it affecting the patterning at all?

aguila327
02-23-13, 22:00
Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GrandPooba
02-23-13, 22:02
Is it just a scratch? (Not a deep gash)?

I should probably say that it's a deeper than just a plain old surface scratch. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Is it affecting the patterning at all?

don't know. I'm new to shotguns. Seems like all the regular buckshot I try holds about a 7" pattern at 7 yards. Dunno if that's crap or not.

I tested Federal Power-shok 00 reduced recoil, Remington reduced recoil, and standard recoil 00. I have Federal Tactical for defensive purposes, those seem to pattern fine.

GeorgiaBoy
02-23-13, 22:27
I should probably say that it's a deeper than just a plain old surface scratch. I'll see if I can post a pic.

don't know. I'm new to shotguns. Seems like all the regular buckshot I try holds about a 7" pattern at 7 yards. Dunno if that's crap or not.

I tested Federal Power-shok 00 reduced recoil, Remington reduced recoil, and standard recoil 00. I have Federal Tactical for defensive purposes, those seem to pattern fine.

I wouldn't worry about it personally. A scratch and not a crack/gash is hardly anything significant. If it grew (a sign of a crack) over time then I would do something about it.

sjc3081
02-23-13, 23:37
Only you can answer the question, are you having issues.

JPB
02-24-13, 00:06
Don't worry about it. When I was just a suckliing, I had a Browning Hi Power, and I ended up with a scratch in the bore. I ran out and bought a Bar-Sto replacement barrel for it. I also had an HK P7M8 that also developed several scratches in the bore. Couldn't change the barrel on that one. Owning more and more firearms, I noticed that they all tend to develop scratches in the bore (you shoud see the one in my Benelli S90!). Dont worry about it, this happens. Scratches mean that you're using it!

Sixgunner
03-23-13, 18:07
Put a bronze brush in a cordless drill on high speed to it and call me in the morning. GH

Try this but add some Flitz polish.

FortySixand2
03-30-13, 13:22
Try this but add some Flitz polish.

+1...