PDA

View Full Version : Trigger job by Jay-review

Cashflow
02-23-13, 19:08
First of all let me qualify this short review by saying that I attempted to contact the moderators to get permission to post this. I received nothing back so I'm going ahead with the post. If this is in the wrong place or is improper then it should either be moved or deleted.

First of all I will give you my qualifications. I don't have any to speak of. I have built five guns, they all seem to work. At least no one has been injured when shooting them. I am nowhere nearly as qualified as a bunch of the guys on this forum. I have however been shooting a long time. I have a Geissele SSA in my personal 5.56 carbine and I have a Canjar set trigger in a custom XP-100. So at least I know what a nice trigger feels like.

When Jay, who posts as JEmirzian first talked about offering a service to modify a stock AR trigger I decided to bite the bullet so to speak and send him my stock CMMG trigger from my new 6.8 SPC build to see if he could improve it. I did not avail myself of this service for free, even though he initially offered to do that. I sent him the 34 bucks for the trigger job and a new JP spring.

He returned it to me in a timely manner and I reinstalled it in my gun. I was very pleased. I DID NOT use a trigger pull gauge to measure before or after. I observed that he had polished the trigger and he did include a small tube of high pressure grease with the trigger. I used a dab of this grease when I installed the trigger.

I shot five ten round strings at the range with SSA factory loads. The gun grouped about the same as before with maybe a slight improvement. The trigger was noticeably better. How it holds up after time remains to be seen. I do plan to send him another trigger for another build in the near future.

There you have it. My short review of Jay's trigger job. I thought it was well worth the 34 bucks. YMMV

Col_Crocs
02-23-13, 20:02
Trigger jobs on stock/gi triggers are a baaaaaad idea.

thehun
02-23-13, 22:34
Agreed

a0cake
02-23-13, 22:39
First of all I will give you my qualifications. I don't have any to speak of. I have built five guns, they all seem to work. At least no one has been injured when shooting them.

You should write a resume like this and send it in to a gun company.

Evil Colt 6920
02-23-13, 22:41
I remember back when Bill Springfield's trigger jobs were getting good reviews....

Kenneth
02-24-13, 00:15
I have a bill Springfield trigger and it is nice. Sad to say it has less pre travel and a shorter reset the my SD-3G. At least it feels like it does. With the SD-3G it has a very little amout of pre travel and the Springfield has literally ZERO. His trigger also has a very short reset. Needless to say I can bump fire it from the shoulder of I really try to. I'm not saying that is a great thing as its too light for any serious work IMO. I still like the SD-3G more die to the fact of full power hammer spring and I feel that reliability will not be an issue.

T-TAC
02-24-13, 06:37
The problem with single stage triggers is that they can be only surface hardened.
If you want a clean single stage trigger that's clean, go with the ALG.
Either the ACT or QMS.
Think about it. Cost of the trigger you have now out of the parts kit. What like $20. shipping both ways at least $20. $34 for the trigger job.
The most expensive Alg trigger is $65 and that's with that sliver plate, anti friction coating.

RHINOWSO
02-24-13, 07:59
Only weapon I'll get a trigger job on is handguns, and then only by a quality gunsmith - aka, Gray Guns.

Rifles, get a Geissele or other quality manufacturer...

sammage
02-24-13, 11:22
I remember back when Bill Springfield's trigger jobs were getting good reviews....

And they still do...for people looking for a trigger that doubles. :D

c3006
02-24-13, 11:35
The problem with single stage triggers is that they can be only surface hardened.
Either the ACT or QMS.
Think about it. Cost of the trigger you have now out of the parts kit. What like $20. shipping both ways at least $20. $34 for the trigger job.
The most expensive Alg trigger is $65 and that's with that sliver plate, anti friction coating.

There are people out there with the skills to reharden after resurfacing. I'm just saying;)

mpom
02-24-13, 12:18
AFAIK JP triggers are through hardened tool steel, not surface hardened, and single stage. Close to 5K rounds through mine and no change in pull, no doubling, no drama. Red lock tite on the adjustment screws and full power hammer spring has given me a very consistent 4.24 lb pull.

JEmirzian
02-24-13, 12:53
Either the ACT or QMS.

Agreed, but what if you already have a stock trigger? And that $34 price includes the return shipping.

JEmirzian
02-24-13, 13:03
There are people out there with the skills to reharden after resurfacing. I'm just saying;)

If surface re hardening is an issue for some people, I have the ovens to do it.
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q717/JEmirzian/IMG_7370_zps9d943142.jpg

Shorts
02-24-13, 14:07
What do yall think about a smooth job done by the rifle manf. on a stock trigger? The onus of a functioning trigger is on them and no charge to you either way for shipping. Would you consider it?