PDA

View Full Version : Any deputy sheriffs?

Endur
02-24-13, 02:37
Well besides being stuck on the bench for training for my PSS position, I took my written test for my local sherrifs on the 26th of Jan and passed. Now I have my PT test on the 2nd of March. I am curious as to who if any on here are deputy sheriffs? How do you like it? What to expect?

If I land this job I am probably not going to take the overseas job as I will have job security with the sheriffs and it is training I am waiting on for the PSS job and once I'd do training I would probably get stuck on the bench again waiting to go overseas. That is why a training spot is taking so long because they are waiting to send people on the bench who have done training overseas before they open up more training. So I don't really want to pass up something more guarunteed, even if the pay is ridiculously good.

I don't want to jump through all these hoops for the sheriffs and then bounce for PSS training and then get stuck on the bench and be out of a job. I was kinding hoping I would be in Stan right now. I have to think of the long run.

The pt test is a joke, I will pass that with flying colors. After that I am not sure what is next. I am sure it will be a full background, piss test, pyschological, and interview. After all that an academy I believe. They don't have much info on their website about process. I guess I will just have to jump through the hoops as I go. I just got an email from the state troopers as well saying they are taking apps. So I plan to fill one out and submit it as well as a back up to the sheriffs.

Hootiewho
02-24-13, 05:20
Not a deputy, an officer.

I don't know how old you are or your life's experiences, but the biggest thing (and you may know this) is do not be idealistic about the real world and how the justice system works. Lots of young gals/guys set themselves up for disappointment by believing life is "this" when it is actually "that". You are not going to change the world. You may every now and then make a positive difference in someone's life, but even more rare is them actually showing gratitude for it. If you are the kind that needs a pat on the back from others, you're going to be disappointed. If personal satisfaction comes from knowing you took action when others wouldn't & knowing you did the right thing, you'll be GTG.

Make no mistake, there are 2 worlds people live in; the real world (of which very few live in) and the imaginary world most live in. The faster you can accept the real world the better; don't fight it or try to rationalize it, just accept it as it is.

Also, regardless of religious views, if you don't believe it, you best get to quickly. There is pure evil in this world. I'm not a big comic character fan, but as said in Batman; ...there are those who just want to watch the world burn. That said, there is also pure good in this world. The thing that wears on you is there is sooo much bad, when you do finally meet the pure good you are left wondering what angle they are working to acheive their ends. Prepare to starts distrusting & second guessing a high percentage of the population. Just take each day as it comes & don't let preconceived ideas of how things should be screw with you. The rest is minor details.

Best of Luck

fourXfour
02-24-13, 10:59
Not a deputy, an officer.

I don't know how old you are or your life's experiences, but the biggest thing (and you may know this) is do not be idealistic about the real world and how the justice system works. Lots of young gals/guys set themselves up for disappointment by believing life is "this" when it is actually "that". You are not going to change the world. You may every now and then make a positive difference in someone's life, but even more rare is them actually showing gratitude for it. If you are the kind that needs a pat on the back from others, you're going to be disappointed. If personal satisfaction comes from knowing you took action when others wouldn't & knowing you did the right thing, you'll be GTG.

Make no mistake, there are 2 worlds people live in; the real world (of which very few live in) and the imaginary world most live in. The faster you can accept the real world the better; don't fight it or try to rationalize it, just accept it as it is.

Also, regardless of religious views, if you don't believe it, you best get to quickly. There is pure evil in this world. I'm not a big comic character fan, but as said in Batman; ...there are those who just want to watch the world burn. That said, there is also pure good in this world. The thing that wears on you is there is sooo much bad, when you do finally meet the pure good you are left wondering what angle they are working to acheive their ends. Prepare to starts distrusting & second guessing a high percentage of the population. Just take each day as it comes & don't let preconceived ideas of how things should be screw with you. The rest is minor details.

Best of Luck

This is a fantastic post. Thank you.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-24-13, 11:27
Being a Deputy, either on the Supervision side or Patrol side, or being a CO, is great if you work for a good, progressive agency that legitimately cares about the safety of the people it answers to AND its officers. If you have that AND you have a conservative, liberty loving Sheriff, you should be in for a good ride.

One thing I never expected in LE was the sheer amount of paperwork you do in a day. Everything gets documented, somethings moreso than others. You will be held to a much higher standard of ethics and integrity than your peers currently, and this is many times what breaks people. In my agency, 60 hour weeks are the norm, 72 hour weeks can happen. The overtime pay is phenomenal, but it does wear you down, especially if you just made the shift from days to nights.

Get with an agency that cares about you and wants to see you grow. If there are training opportunities, TAKE THEM! They will make you better and you will stand out so much more to your Sgts, Commanders, Captains, Majors, etc.

I think working with the Sheriff is awesome because I get to see and work with guys from departments all over my county. If they have you start off as a CO in the jail, take that as a huge career boost. In the jail you get to learn how to communicate effectively, you learn about the games criminals play, you learn to read body language, and you also learn the names and faces of the repeat offenders in your AOR. When you go to patrol, you will be heads and shoulders above the rest.

Endur
02-25-13, 21:46
Ohh I know the evil in this world all to well. I am not expecting anything like a movie or to be some super cop. I know it will not be easy and the majority of the people I would deal with are the bottom of the barrel. I don't let things or people get to me. I think I will be alright.

I believe out here the deputies start off in the county jail so I guess that is both good and bad. I am not worried about paper work or hours as the job I work now (security supervisor, shitty job I know but it's only temporary) I do a ton of paper work and work crazy hours. I also work third shift which I prefer because I have the day off which makes it easier to get things done. I did four years in the Army so I know what it is like to go long periods without sleep. I hated it then but it makes civi jobs a piece of cake. I see all these people complain day in and day out and they have know idea what real sacrifice means.

Sheriffs starts off at $15.90 an hour which is much better than the $12.50 I make now. That will be a nice boost and I am sure I will get more hours. More income will help with the financial fiasco I am in now because of my divorce. I am also trying to get college going to get some extra income from my gi bill to get bah. I have a hard road but the hard work will pay off in the end. I want to use the sheriffs as a stepping stone to the u.s. marshals one day. That is my career goal. I have to start somewhere right?

ThirdWatcher
02-26-13, 02:31
This is a fantastic post. Thank you.

No kidding! My experience is consistent with yours, Hootiewho. :)

Atchcraft
02-26-13, 05:47
...Lots of young gals/guys set themselves up for disappointment by believing life is "this" when it is actually "that". You are not going to change the world. You may every now and then make a positive difference in someone's life, but even more rare is them actually showing gratitude for it. If you are the kind that needs a pat on the back from others, you're going to be disappointed. If personal satisfaction comes from knowing you took action when others wouldn't & knowing you did the right thing, you'll be GTG...
I equate it to peeing in a wetsuit. You get a warm feeling for a few seconds, but no one sees it.

seb5
02-26-13, 10:24
I started out as a city officer for 10 years and went to the county 13 years ago. It really depends on what you want to do and where you are located. A lot of Sheriffs Departments up north do not enforce laws anymore but run the jails and courts. Down South we are the law in the unincorporated areas of the County, which is about 90% of our total land mass. Most Deputies here do start out in the jail and to be honest it's an education that I never got as a cop. The former detention Deputy that hits the road after a few years will know all the dirtballs in his AO, on site because he had to deal with them in the jail. That takes a street officer a long time to gain that knowledge.

The advantages of the SO over the PD to me were that for the most part, in my AO, the Deputy has a lot more freedom to roam and spread the love. Each Deputy has about 100 square miles vs. a small sector or beat with the PD. The Deputies will deal with the same things the PD guys do but it will usually take a longer amount of time to gain the same level of experience because of call volume and population density. Another advantage is that the SO's deal with so much more than a PD that the boredom stagnation takes longer to set in. In my 13 years I've worked 3 years patrol, 3 years, community service, 2 years propery crime, 3 years crimes against people, and 2 years in the courts. If I had started in the jail or communications you can see where it wouls even be more diverse. you are the law but you also have to deal with civil process, subpoeanas, writs, and on and on.

Endur
02-26-13, 21:45
I started out as a city officer for 10 years and went to the county 13 years ago. It really depends on what you want to do and where you are located. A lot of Sheriffs Departments up north do not enforce laws anymore but run the jails and courts. Down South we are the law in the unincorporated areas of the County, which is about 90% of our total land mass. Most Deputies here do start out in the jail and to be honest it's an education that I never got as a cop. The former detention Deputy that hits the road after a few years will know all the dirtballs in his AO, on site because he had to deal with them in the jail. That takes a street officer a long time to gain that knowledge.

The advantages of the SO over the PD to me were that for the most part, in my AO, the Deputy has a lot more freedom to roam and spread the love. Each Deputy has about 100 square miles vs. a small sector or beat with the PD. The Deputies will deal with the same things the PD guys do but it will usually take a longer amount of time to gain the same level of experience because of call volume and population density. Another advantage is that the SO's deal with so much more than a PD that the boredom stagnation takes longer to set in. In my 13 years I've worked 3 years patrol, 3 years, community service, 2 years propery crime, 3 years crimes against people, and 2 years in the courts. If I had started in the jail or communications you can see where it wouls even be more diverse. you are the law but you also have to deal with civil process, subpoeanas, writs, and on and on.

I know the deputies out here are in the county jail, the courts, drive the transport van as well as serve warrants, subpoenas, divorce paperwork and fugative apprehension. Stuff like that.

I want to be a deputy over an officer for the fact it seems they are more diverse in their operations as well as the fact my career goal is U.S. Marshals and the experience that comes with a deputy seems better suited for a Marshal than being an officer.

Endur
03-04-13, 21:17
Update for anyone who cares:

Passed the physical agility test no problem. It was easy as hell. Now I am waiting on the email for info on date/time of the interview.

J-Dub
03-04-13, 21:54
Just make sure working in the Jail isnt a requirement....no way would I do that....ever.

And theres no way I'd do this job for 15.90 an hour, no matter what the calls for service numbers look like. You have to put up with too much crap.

I dont know what your county is like, but if you want to go U.S. Marshalls I would think working for a larger P.D. would benefit you. You're probably going to want to get a few yrs on as Patrol and then branch out. Your calls for service (ie workload) will be much higher, and will be more diverse also.

But do whatever you want. Just realize people will hate your ****ing guts just because of the JOB you do (even little 80yr old ladies). Yes those stupid people can barely tie their shoes, but they are smart enough to use a firearm (with their limited brain waves just think of the awesome decisions they are capable of making too).

Endur
03-04-13, 22:19
Just make sure working in the Jail isnt a requirement....no way would I do that....ever.

And theres no way I'd do this job for 15.90 an hour, no matter what the calls for service numbers look like. You have to put up with too much crap.

I dont know what your county is like, but if you want to go U.S. Marshalls I would think working for a larger P.D. would benefit you. You're probably going to want to get a few yrs on as Patrol and then branch out. Your calls for service (ie workload) will be much higher, and will be more diverse also.

But do whatever you want. Just realize people will hate your ****ing guts just because of the JOB you do (even little 80yr old ladies). Yes those stupid people can barely tie their shoes, but they are smart enough to use a firearm (with their limited brain waves just think of the awesome decisions they are capable of making too).

It actually salary and equates to around 33k something a year starting. Better than any other job I could get right now. This sheriffs department is the largest in the state. Marion county which is home to Indianapolis.

joe138
03-05-13, 08:32
It is my understanding from friends who worked at Marion Co. that all Deputies started in the jail. But this was before the IMPD merge.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-05-13, 18:30

Why wouldnt you work in the jail? There are so many benefits to your LEO career that come from working as a CO. But I agree, no way in hell am I working for 15.90. Our county does fugitive apprehension and warrant service, that would be great experience for going to work with Marshalls.

Boy Scout
03-06-13, 19:04
I probably saw you there at the testing as I was one of the proctors. Shoot me a PM if I can help. Good luck, and that's a hard decision to make!

J-Dub
03-06-13, 20:16
Why wouldnt you work in the jail? There are so many benefits to your LEO career that come from working as a CO. But I agree, no way in hell am I working for 15.90. Our county does fugitive apprehension and warrant service, that would be great experience for going to work with Marshalls.

I prefer to leave the turds at jail, where I dont have to listen to them scream for 10hrs straight.

Usually jailers dont get paid shit, have to work crappy hours (12hr shifts), are stuck inside all day, and I dont want to look at buttholes. Plus I didnt go to college to work in a jail.

Theres more reasons, but thats the basic run down.

(we also have guys that work with Marshalls and go serve warrants in town...for over time no less. you can get exposure if you're willing to work extra..)

Atchcraft
03-06-13, 21:38
I prefer to leave the turds at jail, where I dont have to listen to them scream for 10hrs straight.

Usually jailers dont get paid shit, have to work crappy hours (12hr shifts), are stuck inside all day, and I dont want to look at buttholes. Plus I didnt go to college to work in a jail.

Theres more reasons, but thats the basic run down.

(we also have guys that work with Marshalls and go serve warrants in town...for over time no less. you can get exposure if you're willing to work extra..)
I hear that, you do see a lot of buttholes. But, depending on there you work, you can get huge variety of LEO experience from working a prison or jail. Rape, murder (had one today), drugs, domestic violence, or any other felony offense. It's just a lot more concentrated. Plus... Riots! Nothing like the smell of CN in the morning!

Penal Code Law enforcement, CRT, gang tascforce (that welth of information would blow your mind), investigations, fugitive apprehension and of corse... Overtime. Lots of great avenues in corrections. Again, depending on where you work, the pay is not bad at all.

About the only things I can honestly say that I miss, from being on the streets, are vehicle pursuits and the gut-wrenching emotions from dealing with "innocent" victims (mostly women and children).

theblackknight
03-06-13, 21:56
Around here, anyone who works the jail for more then 3 years is there for a reason.

Like they are wider then they are tall. Im pretty sure this person had to have a custom duty belt made.

Some people are convinced you learn all kinds of wonderful things in the jail(administrators) but all the guys I've talked to say,vbesides getting to know the regulars, it really only delays your "green" time by as long as your stuck there.

Atchcraft
03-06-13, 22:08
Around here, anyone who works the jail for more then 3 years is there for a reason.

Like they are wider then they are tall. Im pretty sure this person had to have a custom duty belt made.

Some people are convinced you learn all kinds of wonderful things in the jail(administrators) but all the guys I've talked to say,vbesides getting to know the regulars, it really only delays your "green" time by as long as your stuck there.
Hey, I think I know that guy!

We have those joints too. But, our high security facilities are prettyn high speed. All the action one would want. I will not work a lot of places for that very reason.

aguila327
03-07-13, 18:32
When I was first getting ready to enter law enforcement I met an old NYPD detective who started out in Rikers Island. He recommended that I apply for a deputy/corrections job with one stipulation: "Try to get out as soon as possible. Great experience, but you dont want to make a career of it."

26 years later I can attest that I've met very few bad cops who got their start in a corrrctional facility. Depending on the facility, it csn either make you or break you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Litpipe
03-07-13, 18:51
Good job on the PAT. Good luck as you progress. As others have said, there is notbing wrong with starting in the jail. You can learn a great deal. Plus getting hired in this economy/politic is hard enough.

Endur
03-07-13, 21:49
Good job on the PAT. Good luck as you progress. As others have said, there is notbing wrong with starting in the jail. You can learn a great deal. Plus getting hired in this economy/politic is hard enough.

Tell me about it haha. No department was hiring around here when I got out of the Army. Plainfield PD was for a few days but before I could finish my app online they stopped accepting. Columbus PD was hiring in Franklin but that was too far from me. Finally the sheriff's sent me an emailt to apply and now the other day state troopers. Indianapolis PD wasn't hiring all of 2012 and nothing so far this year. I went online to all of them and put in a interest request when they start hiring so as soon as they do I get an email.