PDA

View Full Version : Beretta might pull out of MD

platoonDaddy
02-24-13, 08:34
Now Beretta is weighing whether the rifle line, and perhaps the company itself, should stay in a place increasingly hostile toward its products. Its iconic 9mm pistol — carried by every U.S. soldier and scores of police departments — would also be banned with its high capacity, 13-bullet magazine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/berettas-future-in-maryland-tied-to-states-gun-control-debate/2013/02/23/bcc56c62-7776-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html

EDIT: Interesting how the original 13 Colonies are now the center of Hoplophobia.

warpigM-4
02-24-13, 08:38
I just read that Alabama State Officials Have been sending out letters to gun companies to move here .I guess the term "GOING South" could be in play for a lot of the Northern Gun Companies ,
Most resent A letter was sent to Magpul .

Safetyhit
02-24-13, 08:49
It would interesting to see how much money MD makes off them each year. They'd lose that, 300 jobs and it would surely rattle other businesses.

So much for the ARX-100 for now I guess. Personally I like Beretta's, but another AR? It's become impossible to track all the makers now.

kry226
02-24-13, 08:52
Now's the time to do it, BEFORE Marylandistan PASSES the law!

opmike
02-24-13, 09:01
I just read that Alabama State Officials Have been sending out letters to gun companies to move here .I guess the term "GOING South" could be in play for a lot of the Northern Gun Companies ,
Most resent A letter was sent to Magpul .

I'd like to see that. Our state really could use the business from them and others.

warpigM-4
02-24-13, 10:28
I'd like to see that. Our state really could use the business from them and others.

I agree this was part of what was told to Magpul

Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries, John McMillan, reached out to the company, inviting them to consider Alabama as their new home.

[“I think it’s the perfect fit,” said McMillan. “We certainly have the skilled labor force, the available labor force, and the facilities as well.”

McMillan even went so far as to promise Alabama would not seriously consider similar legislation in the future.

Last line really gave me hope about our State stand on the 2nd

FlyingHunter
02-24-13, 10:44
Ya'll come South!

Heck, while I don't own a Beretta, I would buy one on principle to support the move.

platoonDaddy
02-24-13, 11:46
Interesting how the original 13 Colonies are now the center of Hoplophobia.

DreadPirateMoyer
02-24-13, 11:54
No. Pennsylvania and most of the South are not hoplophobic. Neither is NH.

crusader377
02-24-13, 13:34
We would welcome Beretta here in TN.

WillBrink
02-24-13, 14:10
I have always been surprised more gun companies have not moved to states that don't treat them like criminals.

Employ people, pay taxes, do legal legit biz, produce a product protected the by US Const., but you can't sell your products in the state you are located?

That's been the case with a number of companies in MA for example. :bad:

Littlelebowski
02-24-13, 15:52
I had just blogged about this. Hope they "shrug."

Mauser KAR98K
02-24-13, 16:31
We would welcome Beretta here in TN.

+1. We could really use the jobs right now.

Littlelebowski
02-24-13, 16:37
I foresee the right to work, conservative states in the South and West becoming manufacturing bastions. There's a reason foreign car makers agree building cars in the South and that Boeing built a plant in South Carolina.

HackerF15E
02-24-13, 17:54
That would be oh-so-sweet to see Beretta move the whole operation.

Rahm Emanuel's attempt to pressure the banks to not support the finance operations of firearms companies shows that the antis are willing to play whatever financial games to make their point.

I'd like them to see that it is not so fun when the tables are turned...especially when a company that is such a large employer as Beretta decides to pick up the tent and move the circus to a more business friendly location.

Good on 'em.

The company’s Italian patriarch, Ugo Gussalli Beretta, visited the plant shortly after O’Malley introduced his gun-control bill, and the two discussed the issue. But Reh declined to say if the two reached any decisions about what would happen if the governor’s bill passes.

“All I can tell you is, Mr. Beretta said, ‘There always seems to be a problem with Maryland.’ ”

MountainRaven
02-24-13, 18:36
No. Pennsylvania and most of the South are not hoplophobic. Neither is NH.

Or Vermont.

DreadPirateMoyer
02-24-13, 21:46
Or Vermont.

But Vermont isn't one of the original 13. :)

An Undocumented Worker
02-24-13, 22:33
Interesting how the original 13 Colonies are now the center of Hoplophobia.

Speak for your own damn state buddy. Down here in Ga we are currently reviewing legislation that would allow concealed carry on college campuses and churches. We have consistently expanded the gun rights of citizens in this state over the last 4 years.

platoonDaddy
02-25-13, 05:20
Speak for your own damn state buddy.

Yea, I should have stated the majority of the 13 original are now the center of Hoplophobia.

Magic_Salad0892
02-25-13, 05:27
Vermont needs to legalize suppressors.

MountainRaven
02-25-13, 13:09
But Vermont isn't one of the original 13. :)

I'm sure that we can kick MA, NY, or NJ out of the original Thirteen Colonies to make room for it.

:p

CarlosDJackal
02-25-13, 13:13
Now's the time to do it, BEFORE Marylandistan PASSES the law!

I disagree. Because once Beretta leaves then they would no longer have any leverage to convince MD to ditch the anti-gun agendas (such as it is).

kry226
02-25-13, 16:04
I disagree. Because once Beretta leaves then they would no longer have any leverage to convince MD to ditch the anti-gun agendas (such as it is).

I see your point, but what about next time? There's always a next time.

ETA: a buddy posted on the same topic on FB: "Some folks are gonna worry when all of these businesses move to Texas..."

I'm inclined to agree. :D

scottryan
02-25-13, 19:01
I see your point, but what about next time? There's always a next time.

ETA: a buddy posted on the same topic on FB: "Some folks are gonna worry when all of these businesses move to Texas..."

I'm inclined to agree. :D

Except they aren't going to move to Texas. Texas will be blue in 10 years.

Magic_Salad0892
02-25-13, 19:08
Scottryan's motto:

"Why would something good ever happen? Nothing good ever happens?" - Louis C.K. quote.

kry226
02-25-13, 19:31
Except they aren't going to move to Texas. Texas will be blue in 10 years.

By that rationale, who won't be blue in ten years? Give enough handouts, including citizenship, and you'll have millions of fans.

Texas isn't planning on enforcing the proposed gun laws, what makes you think they'll recognize illegals as legals?

TXBob
02-25-13, 20:10
Isn't Beretta a 15 round mag for the M9?

No offense to the OP who was just quoting the article. Stellar research as usual by our media.

platoonDaddy
02-25-13, 20:28
Isn't Beretta a 15 round mag for the M9?

No offense to the OP who was just quoting the article. Stellar research as usual by our media.

Good point and that did raise a flag, but I didn't research. Yes, it is a 15 round magazine per:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_M9