PDA

View Full Version : New duty gun G21 or G17¿

Litpipe
02-24-13, 09:27
Rumor has it my agency may be getting new gen4 Glocks in the near future.

We can currently choose G21, G22 or G17. I carry a G21(3 mags) as a full size(for uniform/duty belt) but also have a G26(3 mags) that i can carry in regular attire iwb(we can select to qual on a second gun as a backup/offduty or full duty).

My question is as follows. Given the choice, should I move to a G17 so I can share mags...or get another G21 and keep the power?

Keep the benefits of a .45 round....or sacrifice that to add capacity and cross gun compatability(if that makes since).

Vendetta
02-24-13, 09:32
I'd switch over to the G17. Cheaper ammo to train with and it's the same caliber as your backup and your mags would obviously work in the G26.

Big A
02-24-13, 09:40
I'm issued a G22 and wish I could swap to a G21 as I am more accurate with them. For some reason I shoot tighter groups with my friends G21 than I do with my own G17. I'm planning to add G21 to the inventory soon.

So the real question is, Which one are you more accurate with?
Shot placement matters the most.

ETA: My Glocks are gen3's and my buddy's G21 is an SF with the ambi mag release. I have no experience with the gen 4 Glocks.

Litpipe
02-24-13, 09:45
I am a good shot with my G21 and G26. I should start that by saying Im good on a line, moving and our version of elevated heart rate. Ive never been fired at while shooting paper...so its all relative.

I would take the time to become a good shot if I switched. Ive always carried a G21 so the idea of changing is not a quick thing.

The magazine issue is a plus to the idea. That and i have always been a student to the shot placement idea. So...I may be switching then...if I have the choice.

Plus its a good reason to be on the range...new weapon...new training.

Voodoo_Man
02-24-13, 10:04
capacity over caliber.

g17 will keep you in the fight longer.

mike benedict
02-24-13, 10:07
Glock 17 certainly one of the best service weapons in existance

Chameleox
02-24-13, 10:34
Doc Roberts had noted that .40 can hold an advantage over the 9 when it comes to intermediate barrier penetration, such as auto bodies. This can be a factor for LEOs. I don't know if the same argument holds true for the .45 over the 9mm(you would think so), but it might be worth investigating.

Otherwise, with modern defense/duty ammo,the "power" gap seems to be getting smaller and smaller, and if you can shoot the G17 better, all the more reason.

Dobie
02-24-13, 10:47
I'm not LEO so considering that you have a larger chance of encountering some barrier situations that 45 may handle better than 9 that might be a deciding factor. I carried a Gen2 G21 for many years and subscribed to the bigger is better school of thought.
After switching to 9 a few years ago I am now a better shooter for it. Training cost is cheaper and as much as I would like to think I can shoot everything equally well its just not the case. Also with the 17 the back up 26 is a wonderful pair. Cant do that with the 45 ACP. My Gen2 G21 sits in its box now untouched for many years.

GJM
02-24-13, 10:48
Leaving aside ammo capacity and cost, I shoot a G17 measurably better on drills than a G21/20, and a G19 even a greater amount better than a 30/29. It would be interesting if you could put enough rounds thru a G17 to feel comfortable, and then test the 21 against a 17 on timed/scored drills.

Henchman
02-24-13, 10:55
If u can shoot the G17 as accurately as the G 21 I would go w the G17. Historically the 9's have always functioned better and have been more durable than the other calibres. The only way I wouldn't switch caibres is if your agency is still issuing a dated duty load like the Hydra Shock.

Litpipe
02-24-13, 11:12
Leaving aside ammo capacity and cost, I shoot a G17 measurably better on drills than a G21/20, and a G19 even a greater amount better than a 30/29. It would be interesting if you could put enough rounds thru a G17 to feel comfortable, and then test the 21 against a 17 on timed/scored drills.

Hopefully they will let us buy our guns. They will trade/sell the majority to offset costs. 12 years ago though, when switching from the 96 Centurian they offered the buy. If that is the case im buying this one and will do a compare and post it...might be interesting.

If u can shoot the G17 as accurately as the G 21 I would go w the G17. Historically the 9's have always functioned better and have been more durable than the other calibres. The only way I wouldn't switch caibres is if your agency is still issuing a dated duty load like the Hydra Shock.

We carry Speer Gold Dot...not sure of the weight.

I think these are very good points and support what I already suspected. So Glock 17 it will be....given the choice of course.

Thanks.

Surf
02-24-13, 12:29
All new serial numbered Gen 4's. G17, G21, G22 in that order. The G17 & G21 are are splitting hairs literally. The better the shooter I tend to suggest the G21 if ammo is not an issue that limits your training but for most people, all things considered such as ammo costs, ease of shooting etc, etc, I generally give the nod to the G17.

Ammo costs not being the issue I would chose my G21 Gen 4 because I shoot it about as effectively as far as speed of follow up shots or multiple hit zone or target engagements, but mostly due results from my own personal testing / experiences on intermediate barriers and glass being a heavily tested medium. I do a lot of vehicle related things and like the performance of the .45ACP here.

JPB
02-24-13, 12:35
Keep the G21, but ditch the G26 for a G30S. Mag/ammo compatibility issue goes away.

Litpipe
02-24-13, 13:41
Keep the G21, but ditch the G26 for a G30S. Mag/ammo compatibility issue goes away.

I use what my employer gives me. Not a bad option though if I could.

BigLarge
02-24-13, 13:44
capacity over caliber.

g17 will keep you in the fight longer.

I am beginning to lean this way myself...

kenndapp
02-24-13, 14:29
myself and most the people i shoot with are for some reason, more accurate with a 21 than a 17. i think it has some thing to do with finger placement and finger mechanics that come with the larger frame...but i am not sure. so in the end ......i consistently run faster splits with a 17 but groups are tighter with a 21. i have even heard theories that the 21 is somehow more accurate (mechanically and/or ballisticly) than the 17.

again, i am pretty sure this has something to do with the 21's larger frame and finger mechanics. however, with the ability to beef up the frame on a gen 4 17 (if you are anything like myself) you can have the faster splits AND the accuracy. as i do not own a gen4 17....its something i have not experimented with yet.

nml
02-24-13, 15:17
On duty do you carry both the G21 and G26?

Rohardi
02-24-13, 15:28
I would say go with the 17. Capacity is greater, With good ammo, the 9mm round will have sufficient stopping power, you will have the same round as your back up... It just makes sense.

Litpipe
02-24-13, 15:32
On duty do you carry both the G21 and G26?

I wear regular clothes on duty for regular assignment mon-fri 9 to 5, so primary is G26 iwb.

G21 is on a drop rig or duty belt when more visible work is required. Along with the ecd and chem. But it is within arms reach.

But, my assignment can change like the breeze (as is the case w/ govt work). As such I cant plan for just the near future. If I go back to uniform my full size Glock will be primary and the G26 will be a veh "oh shit" gun.

DocGKR
02-24-13, 15:49
G17 w/the G26 as your BUG.

T2C
02-24-13, 16:20
Advances in defensive ammunition over the past several years have drawn me back to the 9mm as a service cartridge. I carried a Glock 22 as a service pistol for 12 years. If I were issued a new service pistol tomorrow, I would choose a Glock 17.

Striker
02-24-13, 17:47

We can currently choose G21, G22 or G17. I carry a G21(3 mags) as a full size(for uniform/duty belt) but also have a G26(3 mags) that i can carry in regular attire iwb(we can select to qual on a second gun as a backup/offduty or full duty).

My question is as follows. Given the choice, should I move to a G17 so I can share mags...or get another G21 and keep the power?

Keep the benefits of a .45 round....or sacrifice that to add capacity and cross gun compatability(if that makes since).

Would you be comfortable carrying a 9mm on whatever assignment/s you have where you carry the 21 now? It's a question worth asking, because you used the phrase "sacrifice that" meaning the .45 round "to add capacity". If you are comfortable with a 9mm in those situations, great. If you're not, you might want to keep thinking about it. This assuming that your scores and times will be/are fairly equal with both guns and you shoot them both well.

Gadfly
02-24-13, 18:04
I just ordered a 17 to pair with my 26. I was carrying a Sig 229 DAK as my issued pistol. Decided I liked only having one set of magazines, one set of holsters etc....

usmcvet
03-03-13, 07:31
G17 w/the G26 as your BUG.

I agree with the expert. :D. I carry a G22&27 at work for the same reason. I like having the same mags and ammo to feed my guns.

Litpipe
03-03-13, 08:08
I agree with the expert. :D. I carry a G22&27 at work for the same reason. I like having the same mags and ammo to feed my guns.

This is the way im going. G17 and G26. Thanks to all for the input.

Nephrology
03-03-13, 08:12
This is the way im going. G17 and G26. Thanks to all for the input.

I think you will be pleased to consolidate on 9mm glocks. I traded a G21 for a G17RTF and couldn't be more happy for it. I miss "big ugly" but only for the smile factor. The 17 handles like a dream.

NYH1
03-05-13, 00:50
Since you already have a G26 I'd go with the G17.

NYH1.

reed503
03-05-13, 08:53
I seem to shoot the 21 better then the 17 as well. I think i tend to put too much finger on the trigger of the 17 but with the 21 it naturally goes where it's supposed to.

Obviously each person is different and trigger placement is a training issue but for me my hands are the perfect size for a 21.

Having said that, it does make sense to carry a 17/26.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

BioLayne
03-05-13, 10:02

perhaps I'm missing something here, but if you like the 45 but want to carry subcompact... maybe the glock 30 SF is an option?

rauchman
03-05-13, 12:08
I have a Gen4 G21 and Gen2 G17, and recently got to put a few rounds through a Gen4 G17.

Of them all, I really like the Gen4 G17. More solid feel than the Gen2. While I am a fan of the Gen4 G21, ammo is expensive and 2nd shot recovery is easier on the G17.

Blstr88
03-05-13, 15:28
I owned a G21 for about a year, never could get used to it and got rid of it. Glocks just arent for me...but my dad shoots a G17 and I've shot that quite a bit. Personally, I don't like either...but if I HAD to choose I'd go with the G17 all day long.

DocH
03-06-13, 22:35
Which one can you get the best hits with,under stress and under time,shooting one handed,while moving? That will give you your answer.I would suspect it would be the G17. But every individual is different.