PDA

View Full Version : QuikClot question.

jmoore
02-24-13, 14:59
Why is it specified that the gauze not be used on the face?
TIA
John

skullworks
02-24-13, 15:05
Too many nerves and small muscle groups = too great a chance of facial paralysis perhaps? Or too close to the brain to risk it?

(Just guessing, I have no training nor experience with QuickClot (or traumadex for that matter.))

Tapatapatapatalk

Hmac
02-24-13, 16:35
Exothermic reaction. Inadvertent contact with eyes or mucous membranes is bad.

skullworks
02-24-13, 17:11
Yeah, that sounds more logical. Scratch my previous.

jmoore
02-24-13, 19:17
Unlike early versions - current QuikClot is simply kaolin, i.e., not exothermic. Other thoughts? john

domestique
02-24-13, 19:23
Exothermic reaction. Inadvertent contact with eyes or mucous membranes is bad.

+1, the eyes are the first thing I thought of.... even with the newer variant not having an exothermic reaction fusing the eyes to guaze would make a bad day even worse.

Another good reason to just keep an Israeli bandage in your kit.

T2C
02-24-13, 19:26
Is it true that the miiltary is moving away from using Celox?

Hmac
02-24-13, 20:52
Unlike early versions - current QuikClot is simply kaolin, i.e., not exothermic. Other thoughts? john

Which generation Quikclot are you using? Which generation is in the Go bag your local paramedic grabbed as he rushed out the door? Are we positive it's not leftover Generation1?

jmoore
02-25-13, 10:17
Which generation Quikclot are you using? Which generation is in the Go bag your local paramedic grabbed as he rushed out the door? Are we positive it's not leftover Generation1?

Good point! Will check when I get out to the truck the next time. Thanks. - john

Dago Red
03-31-13, 23:47
I was given a whole bunch of quick clot gauze pads. Is that just used the same as a regular gauze pad but it's better at stopping the bleeding?

I need to get a couple israeli bandages, I've been told that is the same as a "trauma dressing" is that true too? Cause I have one already in my kit.

What is a good place online to buy resupply stuff for first aid kits? betadine swabs for instance?

Sorry if I hijacked.

Red

Gutshot John
04-01-13, 07:29
I was given a whole bunch of quick clot gauze pads. Is that just used the same as a regular gauze pad but it's better at stopping the bleeding?

Gauze pad? You mean the QC sponge?

Or do you have Combat Gauze?