PDA

View Full Version : Pinning a clamp-on gas block

BoringGuy45
02-24-13, 18:13
I'm new to the rifle building thing, so please don't kill me for this. :eek:

I want to get a Noveske Switchblock as I plan on getting a suppressor sometime in the next few months (if possible). However, the Noveske website, as well as gunsmiths I've talked to, say that it's best to get a pinned gas block as opposed to a clamp on. The thing is, Noveske only offers pinned Switchblocks on rifles, uppers, and barrels and not as a stand alone piece. I already have my upper and barrel all set and I don't want to have to get a whole new barrel (plus it looks like the pinned Switchblock is only available in medium and heavier barrels).

Can I have a gunsmith order the pinned Switchblock and put it on my barrel? If not, can I have him modify the clamp-on block so that it can be pinned in some way?

The_Hammer_Man
02-24-13, 18:17
Will the switchblock be hiding under the front of the rail or completely exposed?

If under the rail I would recommend just staking the cross bolts and calling it good.

I have never seen a pinned clamp on gas block. (That's almost an oxymoron eh?)

I have seen staked ones though.

BoringGuy45
02-24-13, 18:26
Will the switchblock be hiding under the front of the rail or completely exposed?

If under the rail I would recommend just staking the cross bolts and calling it good.

I have never seen a pinned clamp on gas block. (That's almost an oxymoron eh?)

I have seen staked ones though.

I think it would be exposed. According to their website, the switchblock doesn't fit under any rails.

AR15barrels
02-28-13, 22:59
Can I have a gunsmith order the pinned Switchblock and put it on my barrel? If not, can I have him modify the clamp-on block so that it can be pinned in some way?

My understanding is that noveske does not sell just the switch lock so the only way to get one is to buy one second hand.

I have cross pinned many clamp-on gas blocks.
As long as there is room to drill a hole, I can do it...

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/pri-pinned.jpg