PDA

View Full Version : AR prices/trading in the current market.

DiabhailGadhar
02-24-13, 19:05
OK, first a little background. I'm thinking of trading my m16a4 (semi only) knock off for a hk91 style rifle, leaning towards a ptr-91 classic model or GI. My build has a rguns lower, colt LPK and carry handle from G&R, colt riffle stock, spring, and buffer, BCM 20" upper, knights m5 RAS, LE grip pod (just for authenticity), and I'm debating which BCG to include either a Fail Zero or BCM.

My question/s is how do I compare the rifle that I built, which I obviously spared little expense on, prior to gun prices going crazy vs. another rifle with current prices. Those of you that have done this how are you factoring price? Also, since the rifle that I built costs more then the rifle I'm considering trading for prior to the recent BS. Do I ask for the other rifle plus cash/stuff? My rifle has had less then 150 rds through it as I have another rifle I prefer to shoot or is it used enough for for me to trade it straight across for the new rifle with the current price?

ANY input would be appreciated :help:, as usual thanks for your time fella's..

S/F,

Nick

Wa22ioR
02-24-13, 19:22
Nick,

Honestly I would ask if the other party is willing to conduct the transaction using pre-hysteria pricing scheme. If he's not, then I wouldn't mess with it, because you would lose out. Or, sell yours at the current market value and then buy his or another like it. About the only way I can see it working out well for both. However, he may not be interested if he procured the rifle at the current market value, read higher, and then you asking to trade at pre-hysteria value will cause him to lose money, maybe substantially. Hope this helps.

Take care,

Bigninja
02-24-13, 19:52
I've been dealing on other sites during all this and I've been using the prices from before the middle of December. If the other person wants to use panic prices then so do I. Speaking from experience, don't rush into a deal. I've done that and ended up on the losing end of the deal.

DiabhailGadhar
02-24-13, 20:06
Selling the rifle out right was the only scenario I had thought about but I just don't have a clue where to price it, as it seems the sky is the limit even with junk rifles. I don't want to be a douche but it seems like its become one of the "when in Rome" deals. Also I dont have a specific trade in mind I'm still looking and have been watching the rifles on GunBroker. It seems people are only getting bids on the rifles I'm looking at, in the before crazy price range. Adding to my confusion. Thanks for input.

Nick,

Honestly I would ask if the other party is willing to conduct the transaction using pre-hysteria pricing scheme. If he's not, then I wouldn't mess with it, because you would lose out. Or, sell yours at the current market value and then buy his or another like it. About the only way I can see it working out well for both. However, he may not be interested if he procured the rifle at the current market value, read higher, and then you asking to trade at pre-hysteria value will cause him to lose money, maybe substantially. Hope this helps.

Take care,

Grand58742
02-24-13, 22:44
My question/s is how do I compare the rifle that I built, which I obviously spared little expense on, prior to gun prices going crazy vs. another rifle with current prices.

Work with the seller. While AR prices are coming down a tad (average of $1400-1800 out here in OK for P2P transactions, maybe $2K for Colts and the likes), the AR10 and 7.62 market hasn't come down yet for some reason. While that PTR may fetch a nice price right now, it's still just a $900 rifle in normal times for the GI model and about a grand for a classic model. Yours, with the mods you made, would fetch probably $1500 or more in normal times.

I sold a PTR pre-panic, a JLD marked one with an Alpha serial number, 40 mags, UTG rails and the 1913 claw mount for $1200. Current "reasonably priced" classic PTR-91s are going for $1900 from dealers and $2500 from individuals. Problem is, they aren't moving or the sellers aren't updating their ads. So the market is inflated, but nobody is buying.

Those of you that have done this how are you factoring price?

I've tried to avoid the douche method of selling and have only taken a little more over the top than I paid. Maybe plus a hundred in the sales I've made. I could have charged more, but didn't want to contribute to the overall inflation of the market. And...I've moved everything I've put up for sale pretty quickly. Plus, selling to guys I work with put me in that position to not rape someone.

Do I ask for the other rifle plus cash/stuff?

Yes. Value of your rifle is in excess of that PTR pre-December. Prices will come down on rifles overall and it seems like the AR market is stabilizing and dropping a tad. The 7.62 market...not so much yet, but probably not far behind as bills are coming due on credit cards and folks are past panic buying on high dollar weapons that I've seen. Ammo, mags and parts...not so much yet either.

My rifle has had less then 150 rds through it as I have another rifle I prefer to shoot or is it used enough for for me to trade it straight across for the new rifle with the current price?

Even used your rifle is worth more than a brand new PTR-91 GI model. Or a classic model. I'd be asking for more stuff or cash in trade. If you get like 50 new in wrapper mags, claw mount and a couple hundred rounds of ammo? Maybe a straight across trade. Otherwise, I'd hold off.

I have this funny feeling though whomever is selling will want a straight up trade for their rifle. And that PTR is nowhere near the quality or price of that AR you built.

Just remember though, a sale/trade is where both parties go away happy in the end.

DiabhailGadhar
02-24-13, 23:48
Thanks man that is the insight I was looking for. I was noting a decrease on the m4's myself and was wondering where mine would line up, especially considering I'm more interested in a trade..

kneauxla
02-25-13, 00:02
Removed

jordanthegimp
02-25-13, 00:10
Gwqqqqqq

jordanthegimp
02-25-13, 00:19
Mods please above post

DiabhailGadhar
02-25-13, 00:36
I'm just glad I live in AZ and I'm moving to IN cause I keep seeing more and more states with their name on the DO NOT SHIP TO list. Thats why I'm worried about the sell and buy...I'd rather just trade and keep my current level of inventory...;)

drx
02-25-13, 01:38
Just to give you a few reference points:

on TOS people have sold the recent Aim Surplus Spike's uppers that were sold for $500 for $875

local forums people are selling $700 ARs for $1300

GB sales mirroring the TOS sale above

So with your parts, you could probably stand to make a good profit.

twistedcomrade
02-25-13, 08:38
Op, I say this as someone who dislikes PTR 91 rifles, but I think you should consider keeping your A4 clone. Not that there is anything wrong with the PTR 91 rifles, they just don't fit me at all. Sounds like you have a quality build on your A4 clone and I think there may be a chance if you find a trade you may regret it later. This is just MHO. Good luck to ya which ever path you choose.

chadwick76
02-25-13, 20:01
I'm just glad I live in AZ and I'm moving to IN cause I keep seeing more and more states with their name on the DO NOT SHIP TO list. Thats why I'm worried about the sell and buy...I'd rather just trade and keep my current level of inventory...;)

Welcome to the great state of Indiana!:smile:

thehun
02-25-13, 20:03
It is all about the parties.

For example...I would never ever pay over $900 bucks for a SW rifle but others are.

Me, I am willing to pay a little extra for a DD, where others won't....

Today's market is very up and down....but i'd stick with what you got...

thehun
02-25-13, 20:15
YUP...exactly....I saw a guy buy a basic stag for $1500 bucks I LAUGHED...

Or

I laugh when people are stocking up on ammo now and pay .75+ cents a round.....so dumb

thehun
02-25-13, 20:16
BTW a friend of mine put an order in for a Larue and its only a 4 month wait..not bad

BoringGuy45
02-25-13, 22:20
There is a place I know of that I DID have a lot of respect for, but they are price gouging beyond insanity. I saw a Stag Arms with nothing fancy on it other than Troy Industries rail and it was going for $3900. Colts were going for $5000. He also had well over a hundred 30 round PMags in stock and they were going for about $80 a piece.

I found a place out of state that was selling everything for (just at or a bit over) pre-panic prices and I got a Vltor MUR-1 upper for about $200. Luckily, my one AR lower, a pre-ban PWA, I got in 2008, before any panic set in.

Markasaurus
02-26-13, 13:17
I'm just glad I live in AZ and I'm moving to IN cause I keep seeing more and more states with their name on the DO NOT SHIP TO list. Thats why I'm worried about the sell and buy...I'd rather just trade and keep my current level of inventory...;) I have a question for you, why are you leaving Arizona for Indiana? I have lots of relatives there and I've been there a lot. I have spent 40 years in the PRK (California) and I'm seriously considering moving me and my wife to Arizona in a few years.and Indiana has its virtues, for sure. Its clean and quiet and a lot of unpopulated land, good fishing and so on. But maybe its the California conditioning (way too much stimulation, 24/7 people, cars and noise) but Indiana seems a little dull. I'd consider moving there, especially for their good attitude toward guns and gun purple. But, i thought Arizona was pretty much gun paradise? So why leave a warm climate for a cold one, what's the big advantages for you?

DiabhailGadhar
02-26-13, 19:25
The prices have gotten absolutely nutz, hell the one big gun store local here was even going to WalMart buying their ammo and then re-selling it at a huge mark up. Needless to say I won't be doing any business with them any time soon.

As far as the moves go I have been an active duty Marine for the past almost 13 years. Do to down sizing the military they closed my MOS and basically without the ability for the last promotion I have to get out. Here in Yuma the Job market is one of the worst in the country. So it's back home to start over...needless to say I'm about heartbroken and soon jobless..but hey I had an amazing time in the Corps and wouldn't change a second of it. As far as Indiana goes it's where I grew up and I don't mind it, it's really just a lack of options and support elsewhere.

I have a question for you, why are you leaving Arizona for Indiana? I have lots of relatives there and I've been there a lot. I have spent 40 years in the PRK (California) and I'm seriously considering moving me and my wife to Arizona in a few years.and Indiana has its virtues, for sure. Its clean and quiet and a lot of unpopulated land, good fishing and so on. But maybe its the California conditioning (way too much stimulation, 24/7 people, cars and noise) but Indiana seems a little dull. I'd consider moving there, especially for their good attitude toward guns and gun purple. But, i thought Arizona was pretty much gun paradise? So why leave a warm climate for a cold one, what's the big advantages for you?

DiabhailGadhar
02-26-13, 19:29
Also I'm hoping to get into Law enforcement some way or another and I'll be able to continue to defend the constitution as it was written not how it's been interpreted by bought politicians...;)

SigSlave
02-26-13, 20:20
Selling the rifle out right was the only scenario I had thought about but I just don't have a clue where to price it, as it seems the sky is the limit even with junk rifles. I don't want to be a douche but it seems like its become one of the "when in Rome" deals. Also I dont have a specific trade in mind I'm still looking and have been watching the rifles on GunBroker. It seems people are only getting bids on the rifles I'm looking at, in the before crazy price range. Adding to my confusion. Thanks for input.

When I sell a rifle on Gunbroker I list it at normal, non hysteria price with no reserve or buy it now. Let the market dictate where the price goes. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. This way, you get what you want from your sale and nobody can say you ripped them off or took advantage of the political climate.

I started an auction at 900 and it went to 1500 with 5 bidders. I did ok on the auction and all parties were happy.

markm
02-27-13, 08:20
When I sell a rifle on Gunbroker I list it at normal, non hysteria price with no reserve or buy it now. Let the market dictate where the price goes.

Same here for the most part. I only list what I know there's demand for...

Let the cuckoos fight it out! :jester: