PDA

View Full Version : militaryarms on youtube has posted his initial impressions with the Tavor

dashotgun
02-24-13, 19:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEY1XdQf_JA

1911-A1
02-24-13, 23:12
Looks interesting. I'm not sure if it's the gun for me, but it's definitely cool.

foxtrotx1
02-25-13, 02:06
Looks like a nice rifle. But for the price I will stick with the AR system.

The left hand ejection is way to close for comfort.

Hope they work out well, nice to see more options on the market.

Austin_G
02-25-13, 02:30
I'm looking forward to the Tavor release. However the current industry craziness will cripple supply and inflate prices.

SteyrAUG
02-25-13, 13:58
I think this is the first bullpup I've ever seen with actual advantages over the AUG.

WickedWillis
02-25-13, 14:08
You have to love sturmgewehr. MAC's channel is great. I am very excited about this rifle. I have experience with the Steyr (very limited like 100 rds.) and it took awhile to get comfortable with the bullpup design, but the Tavor looks to improve upon what the Aug has already built.

Zhurdan
02-25-13, 14:49
Can't wait to hear from someone with some hands on time to see if that magazine release ever gets tripped accidentally.

If anyone knows, is it a pretty stiff lever or something? Looks like it's kinda jutting out there a bit.

Ick
02-25-13, 15:19
Been looking forward to this.

dashotgun
02-25-13, 16:17
Can't wait to hear from someone with some hands on time to see if that magazine release ever gets tripped accidentally.

If anyone knows, is it a pretty stiff lever or something? Looks like it's kinda jutting out there a bit.
sturmgewahre "on the other site" not a problem so far and quotes some IDF types who say never

1911-A1
02-25-13, 16:42
sturmgewahre "on the other site" not a problem so far and quotes some IDF types who say never

I'd be interested to see if pressure on the mag while prone will affect function at all.

Sensei
02-25-13, 17:29
I think this is the first bullpup I've ever seen with actual advantages over the AUG.

I agree. That is why I passes on a CQB AUG. I can only afford one $2K rifle this Spring. The Tavor is lighter and much easier to fire left handed. I expect that it will also have a better trigger. I may come back and get a AUG A3 at a later date if competition brings down the prices.

bullittmcqueen
02-25-13, 17:41
You have to love sturmgewehr. MAC's channel is great. I am very excited about this rifle. I have experience with the Steyr (very limited like 100 rds.) and it took awhile to get comfortable with the bullpup design, but the Tavor looks to improve upon what the Aug has already built.

Yep. One of the best on Youtube.

The left hand ejection is way to close for comfort.

He actually addressed the ejection issue when shooting left-handed and found that with 5.56 ammo the casings ejected forward, pretty far clear of his face. That was in contrast to the AUG which he said the casings brushed his chin.

Charlie Don't Surf
02-25-13, 19:24

Really? FN's(F2000) forward ejection not an advantage? Or the ability to use STANAGs?

foxtrotx1
02-25-13, 20:10
Yep. One of the best on Youtube.

He actually addressed the ejection issue when shooting left-handed and found that with 5.56 ammo the casings ejected forward, pretty far clear of his face. That was in contrast to the AUG which he said the casings brushed his chin.

Yeah I watched it. I don't use 5.56 as much as .223 (like the speer gold dots and brown bear) so his counter isn't valid for me.

SteyrAUG
02-25-13, 20:22
Really? FN's(F2000) forward ejection not an advantage? Or the ability to use STANAGs?

It isn't hard to shoot a AUG left handed if you know how.

STANAG's don't mean anything. Nobody complains that their 556 AK doesn't take AR mags.

Lot's of things I didn't like about the FN.

Charlie Don't Surf
02-25-13, 20:43
It isn't hard to shoot a AUG left handed if you know how.

STANAG's don't mean anything. Nobody complains that their 556 AK doesn't take AR mags.

Lot's of things I didn't like about the FN.

Sure, but is it not still better ergonomically to shoot the FN left handed? You're seriously saying that mag commonality is not an advantage?? And I'm not saying the FN is a better gun, just that it has some advantages over the AUG.

Skyfire1201
02-26-13, 00:50

My thoughts exactly, the Tavor's design addresses two problems I have with the AUG: brass ejection pattern and fast mag change. If you watch the video in detail at around 4:00 mark, mags drop free from the gun, which is something I wish the AUG has. And once reloaded, closing the bolt is as simple as pushing on the oversized bolt release using one's thumb.

My only questions is around reliability. The AUG has been around 35+ years and used in multiple locales with good reliability, where as the Tavor has only been around for 10yrs. How reliable is the operating system, and what's the maintenance routine like? I'm afraid only time can answer those questions.

mig1nc
02-26-13, 06:01
Did anybody notice the trigger reset in the video? It was pretty noticable.

Ick
02-26-13, 07:19
Interesting points. Never cared for the AUG myself.

The only two things that were keeping me from buying the FS200 was that it felt like it had the ergonomics of a 2 foot long 2x8 piece of balsa wood in my hands... and that it is sooooo much plastic. But no sense in focusing on the plastic aspect, that is the way of the future. I need to get over that mental block.

If this thing has a superior feel to the FS2000 count me in. For two.

dashotgun
02-26-13, 10:34
another fun video with torture tests
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRl60nC_KGw