PDA

View Full Version : EXO glocks

uglyducky
02-24-13, 22:33
any opinions on the nickel boron option for slides/barrels by Glock?

Sensei
02-24-13, 22:40
I have 2. You are paying for a cosmetic rather than functional improvement. In other words, they are handsome but no more reliable/durable than my other Glocks.

uglyducky
02-24-13, 22:57
Ok so not worth the added $100 price tag on a used pistol?

SPDGG
02-24-13, 23:13
^ Its personal preference. If "you" see value in it = buy it, if not = pass

Vgex2
02-24-13, 23:15

Which Glock is it? If that Glock is difficult to find, and the price is not crazy, the EXO coating absolutely does not hurt the pistol.

For instance, if it was a used G19 EXO finished for $549 with 3-magazines, I would buy it. But only if I did not have ha G19 Gen 4.

If I had the choice between a $449 non-EXO and a $549 EXO, both used, I wound opt for the non-EXO nine times out of ten.

uglyducky
02-24-13, 23:16
^ Its personal preference. If "you" see value in it = buy it, if not = pass

if it's purely aesthetics it doesn't mean much to me. i was, perhaps mistakenly, under the impression that the nickel meant it would not wear quite as quickly and stayed better lubricated. but i make a lot of stuff up in my head so maybe that was about a giraffe in uganda and i mis-remembered it all.

uglyducky
02-24-13, 23:17
Which Glock is it? If that Glock is difficult to find, and the price is not crazy, the EXO coating absolutely does not hurt the pistol.

For instance, if it was a used G19 EXO finished for $549 with 3-magazines, I would buy it. But only if I did not have ha G19 Gen 4.

If I had the choice between a $449 non-EXO and a $549 EXO, both used, I wound opt for the non-EXO nine times out of ten.

both are gen 3 g19's. one for $525 and the other $625. each come with tritium night sights and 3 extra mags.

uglyducky
02-24-13, 23:19
it bears mentioning that i'm in CA and we are not able to bring in the Gen 4 glocks yet as they have not been "approved" by the CA DOJ at this time. hahahaha

Vgex2
02-24-13, 23:27
both are gen 3 g19's. one for $525 and the other $625. each come with tritium night sights and 3 extra mags.

it bears mentioning that i'm in CA and we are not able to bring in the Gen 4 glocks yet as they have not been "approved" by the CA DOJ at this time. hahahaha

I am in TX so $525 is a bit high for me used, but I will say that $625 is absolutely too high for used regardless of finish. But, I am not in Cali. Given the climate, I say go for it for the $525 if you do not have one. You can always EXO/Cera-Plate/Chrome it later, if that is what you want.

G34Shooter
02-24-13, 23:40

That is untrue as I have two via Single Shot Exemption, go to Calguns and read up on it but please do not spread that untruth anymore.

uglyducky
02-24-13, 23:44
I am in TX so $525 is a bit high for me used, but I will say that $625 is absolutely too high for used regardless of finish. But, I am not in Cali. Given the climate, I say go for it for the $525 if you do not have one. You can always EXO/Cera-Plate/Chrome it later, if that is what you want.

these are just the going rate online prices. they're stupid everywhere that i can see. if you know of a fair priced g19 or g17 gen 3 feel free to pass it on to me! cash in hand and ready to go. just wanted to round out the quiver and add a 9mm and i've always been partial to glocks

jp0319
02-25-13, 14:04
I have an EXO Glock 27, I love it. It's my go to CC. EXO makes it easier to clean and it looks good as well.

Its not just for looks. It may not add a "significant" advantage over the tennifer that Glock has but it can't hurt. As my EXO coated Glock is used IWB or belly band having the EXO coat helps me have lesss worry about rusting. You dont NEED it but its nice to have.

http://www.failzero.com/exo-technology.html

JP

Sensei
02-25-13, 14:25
if it's purely aesthetics it doesn't mean much to me. i was, perhaps mistakenly, under the impression that the nickel meant it would not wear quite as quickly and stayed better lubricated...

That is the pitch that Talo Arms uses with the EXO. I'm not sure if I completely buy the no lube line. So mine still get a couple dots of Weapon Shield or Slip 2000 in the right places before the range.

I have an EXO Glock 27, I love it. It's my go to CC. EXO makes it easier to clean and it looks good as well.

Its not just for looks. It may not add a "significant" advantage over the tennifer that Glock has but it can't hurt. As my EXO coated Glock is used IWB or belly band having the EXO coat helps me have lesss worry about rusting. You dont NEED it but its nice to have.

http://www.failzero.com/exo-technology.html

JP

I'm not saying that the EXO finish will hurt your gun. If it gives you peace of mind, then so be it. My point is that it is not a noticeable improvement in performance in the 2 that I own. Glocks already have an excellent finish from the factory, and I've carried non-EXO guns next to my sweaty body for years without problems.

On the other hand, I'm starting to see some M&P's with the EXO finish which could be a real benefit since they are more prone to corrosion.

opmike
02-25-13, 17:31
I have a Glock 19 EXO that I purchased about a couple of years ago. It didn't set out to buy a two tone gun with a "wonder finish." Fact of the matter was, there were no Glock 19's anywhere in my town except for that one, and I was getting a set of steel night sights (Ameriglo I-Dot Pro) at no real added cost over a regular 19 due to how the gun shop priced it. So, I picked it up.

A year later, and I've not had any problems to speak of.

I've not noticed any objective improvement from the finish over any other Glock I've owned. The finish is showing some wear from the thousands of insertions and draws from my Kydex holster, and there's the usual wear marks at the metal-to-metal contact you see on Glocks.

I wouldn't pay extra for it, but I've not noticed any negatives.

uglyducky
02-25-13, 23:05
That is untrue as I have two via Single Shot Exemption, go to Calguns and read up on it but please do not spread that untruth anymore.

Woah cupcake. It is true, have a look at the CA DOJ list of approved handguns. Says in bright red letters at the bottom "no gen 4 Glocks have been approved as of Feb. 25". Have a look. If you did a single shot exemption then that's great but the list is the list and gen 4's ain't on it. Slow your roll son no one is spreading "untruths" you're just exploiting loopholes which is fine by me but the exception not the rule my man.

G34Shooter
02-26-13, 10:50
Woah cupcake. It is true, have a look at the CA DOJ list of approved handguns. Says in bright red letters at the bottom "no gen 4 Glocks have been approved as of Feb. 25". Have a look. If you did a single shot exemption then that's great but the list is the list and gen 4's ain't on it. Slow your roll son no one is spreading "untruths" you're just exploiting loopholes which is fine by me but the exception not the rule my man.

I'm not exploiting "Loopholes"(that's what anti-gunners say), I'm following the law. It's your fault that you're ignorant to Single Shot Exemption and that you don't want to be educated on the subject.
Off Roster guns can be legally purchased in California via SSE or Private Party and thousands of them are here in this state. In fact I have two listed on my CCW and I sold two out of the shop last weekend.

uglyducky
02-26-13, 11:10
I'm not exploiting "Loopholes"(that's what anti-gunners say), I'm following the law. It's your fault that you're ignorant to Single Shot Exemption and that you don't want to be educated on the subject.
Off Roster guns can be legally purchased in California via SSE or Private Party and thousands of them are here in this state. In fact I have two listed on my CCW and I sold two out of the shop last weekend.
I know all of this my man. It costs more money to do the conversions and, to me, not worth it. I love the "anti-gunner" thing. Let's take this back to junior high now. Hahahahha. Have a great day and stay out of my thread unless you have some pertinent topical information.

RagweedZulu
02-27-13, 08:35
You guys crack me up.
A dealer near me does the exemption thing, and every other dealer in my area thinks this shop is crooked because of it and won't work with them. I guess if I HAD to have a Gen4 I'd go this route. I'm LE in CA and can easily get off-roster guns. I still have no desire for a Gen 4.

G34Shooter
02-27-13, 09:58
You guys crack me up.
A dealer near me does the exemption thing, and every other dealer in my area thinks this shop is crooked because of it and won't work with them. I guess if I HAD to have a Gen4 I'd go this route. I'm LE in CA and can easily get off-roster guns. I still have no desire for a Gen 4.

If it was illegal or crooked than the ATF would shut these shops down. They are a PITA for the shop as it needs to buy barrels and then lengthen them so the gun has an overall barrel length of 10.5", block the magazine to 1 round and remove the mag release. The gun must be sold in this configuration and the owner must take possession of it, after that it's up to the individual if they want to put it back to the stock configuration.

Mjolnir
03-03-13, 11:57
Nickel is soft. The Boron is suspended in the soft Nickel.

It will wear RELATIVELY quickly compared to the Melonite QPQ the other pistols have.

It looks good on the barrels to me though.