PDA

View Full Version : Question on misaligned gas block set screw dimple

Koshinn
02-25-13, 15:05
Here are pictures:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4407370/AR/IMAG0596.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4407370/AR/IMAG0598.jpg

These two pictures are taken of a Vltor set screw gas block installed into the factory drilled dimple. The rail is a NSR and the upper receiver is a Vltor MUR. The NSR is aligned with the MUR via an acog screw mount to ensure straightness. Notice how, when looking down the barrel, the gas block is canted to the left?

I'm still at home recovering from surgery so I can't actually test fire right now, but is this acceptable? Does this happen a lot? I usually run complete factory uppers or fixed FSBs so I've never actually run into this problem before.

Putting slight pressure on the barrel is enough for the gas block to touch the inside of the rail on the left side (as looking down the barrel).

militarymoron
02-25-13, 17:35
what barrel is that?

Koshinn
02-25-13, 18:24
what barrel is that?

Centurion

Fgolebiowski
02-25-13, 20:02
I had the same experience with the last three Centurion Arms Hammer Forged 16" Mid Length, Light Weight Barrels I bought. I used a Rainier Arms Gas Block Barrel Dimpler to verify the factory dimple was not at bottom dead center but was off center and to re-drill the dimple at bottom dead center. This solved the problem.

Iraqgunz
02-25-13, 20:11
Its a non-issue. Undo the gas block and look at the size of the hole. Then look at the port.Its several times larger. More than likely what causes the issue is the holes for the screws are not perfectly centered and when you tighten the screws it pulls the block left or right.

gan1hck
02-25-13, 20:17
my Colt 6720 with low profile gas block is also misaligned like that. Shoots fine.

bp7178
02-25-13, 20:35
It will work...but for the money I wouldn't tolerate it. If it was a free barrel than rock on. ;)

Either re-drill the dimples or send it back.

AKDoug
02-25-13, 21:18
At a minimum I would contact Centurion. They are a good company and would want to know about errors like this.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Col_Crocs
02-25-13, 22:05
^this. Theyre probably going to ask you to send it back, in which case, i'd go ahead and pay extra to get a factory pinned block on the replacement.

opmike
02-26-13, 01:04
As mentioned, the hole in the gas block is larger than the port in the barrel, so it should run fine.

That said, I wouldn't spend a dime of my hard earned money on crooked parts. This is basic stuff.

Iraqgunz
02-26-13, 03:38
I would like to seek some clarification here.

1. Do you know for sure that the dimple is not centered correctly on the barrel?

2. Who built this upper and is it possible that that person misaligned the block when it was installed?

3. These blocks are only dimpled and set screwed correct, and not pinned?

Iraqgunz
02-26-13, 04:34
Let's allow the OP to contact Centurion and address this and then we'll open it back up.