PDA

View Full Version : Hot swapping - bolts and barrels

siegrisj
02-25-13, 15:54
Here is a scenario and tell me if it is workable or a bad idea. And yes I know the better answer is to have two uppers. With that out of the way...

Barrels and bolts tend to "wear together" right?

So lets say I wanted to have a .223 barrel and a .300blk barrel around for the same rifle then would it be advisable for each barrel to have a dedicated bolt that stays with it? So if I swap out my .223 for the .300 then I swap out bolts in the carrier group.

I understand that technically the same bolt could be used for both calibers. It is a good idea to use the same bolt for multiple barrels though?

Iraqgunz
02-25-13, 15:59
Are you going to rebarrel it every time you want to shoot it? If so, that makes no sense it all. Have dedicated uppers and bolts for those. Using just the carrier isn't a big issue.

Here is a scenario and tell me if it is workable or a bad idea. And yes I know the better answer is to have two uppers. With that out of the way...

Barrels and bolts tend to "wear together" right?

So lets say I wanted to have a .223 barrel and a .300blk barrel around for the same rifle then would it be advisable for each barrel to have a dedicated bolt that stays with it? So if I swap out my .223 for the .300 then I swap out bolts in the carrier group.

I understand that technically the same bolt could be used for both calibers. It is a good idea to use the same bolt for multiple barrels though?

siegrisj
02-25-13, 16:09
It would primarily stay a .300 since I have other .223 options available. This would basically be an extra .223 barrel lying around for the most part.

This is a brainstorming question.

The technical part has to do with the relationship to bolt and barrel. Another way to word it is "is it a bad idea to have two or more rifles that and only one BCG between them?"

fdxpilot
02-25-13, 16:25
It would primarily stay a .300 since I have other .223 options available. This would basically be an extra .223 barrel lying around for the most part.

This is a brainstorming question.

The technical part has to do with the relationship to bolt and barrel. Another way to word it is "is it a bad idea to have two or more rifles that and only one BCG between them?"

What Iraqgunz seemed to be trying to tell you is that barrels are not really a hot swappable item. You need a vise and receiver block, as well as a torque wrench, to remove and install a barrel. You also must install a gas block or FSB with gas tube when you change barrels. The preferred solution is to have a complete upper, including bolt, for each barrel.

masakari
02-25-13, 16:27
Im interested in the answer to this as well because one of my carbines has a spare bolt in the pistol grip; the bolt and barrel in the rifle are well used, and the spare is brand new. What would be the impact, if any, of swapping that spare bolt in?

siegrisj
02-25-13, 16:32
Im interested in the answer to this as well because one of my carbines has a spare bolt in the pistol grip; the bolt and barrel in the rifle are well used, and the spare is brand new. What would be the impact, if any, of swapping that spare bolt in?

This.

Swapping out a barrel is a PITA process, I get that. Two uppers is a better answer, I get that too. It is also a much more expensive answer. Run with me down this rabbit hole for a bit :D

HelloLarry
02-25-13, 16:37
If the old bolt was good when it was new, then a new replacement bolt will be OK replacing the old bolt.

I don't like sharing a bolt between 2 rifles, but that's more in my head than anything real. I've seen a lot of ARs brought back on-line by swapping in some other guy's BCG and it's never been a problem.

You have to look hard to find 2 bolts that are more than 15 ten thous different. I measured a bunch of them one time and the max diff was less than that. It's standard procedure to assemble ARs by grabbing parts out of bins and slapping them together. Bolts included.

siegrisj
02-25-13, 16:43
The preferred solution is to have a complete upper, ***including bolt***, for each barrel.

Why NOT use one bolt/BCG for multiple rifles/barrels? That is what I'm trying to get at.

MistWolf
02-25-13, 16:49
Using the same bolt for multiple uppers can be done as long as the combination headspaces good. The downside is that each barrel will wear the bolt a little differently and while it should still be within allowable limits, the fit will soon be a bit looser than using only a dedicated bolt for each upper

siegrisj
02-25-13, 17:18
Using the same bolt for multiple uppers can be done as long as the combination headspaces good. The downside is that each barrel will wear the bolt a little differently and while it should still be within allowable limits, the fit will soon be a bit looser than using only a dedicated bolt for each upper

Does that translate into accuracy issues down the road?

Wake27
02-25-13, 18:38
Search for headspace on here. There's a lot on it already.

Shorts
02-25-13, 18:38
I think you'll get tired of swapping barrels any time you want to shoot a caliber. You might find it is simpler to have 2 uppers.

This will be the first time you discourage yourself to swap barrels because you got an inkling to go shoot the different caliber.

Barrels and bolts wear in to each others imperfections and marry. If you swap them back and forth the bolt will fit neither barrel "perfectly" anymore. You're compromising your bolt. How about a bolt for each barrel? I still think in the long run you'll end up with 2 complete uppers.

Failure2Stop
02-25-13, 19:08
Search for headspace on here. There's a lot on it already.

This.

Generally speaking, a new bolt with a used barrel is fine, however, a headspace check is a good idea. A used bolt with any condition barrel should always be gauged for headspace prior to live-fire.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Hehuhates
02-25-13, 19:15
It's a PITA to swap BCG's between uppers period. You will buy a second one. I'm waiting on a BCG now for a Blackout upper. I went to the range yesterday to sight it in and it sucks swapping back and forth. That was one range trip, I have a family member that couldn't make it through deer season before he bought a dedicated BCG for his Blackout. He is cheap as hell and was "only going to use it for deer". Swapping it out to use as a HD rifle sucked so he anted up and got another.

T2C
02-25-13, 19:24
I would never assemble used parts without using headspace gauges. If you don't use headspace gauges, it's a recipe for disaster.

thehun
02-25-13, 19:53
I would never assemble used part without using headspace gauges. If you don't use headspace gauges, it's a recipe for disaster.

What he said

Benito
02-25-13, 19:58

I am interested in this too.
Have dedicated bolts for each AR, and have a spare bolt for each. Curious if there are any short/long-term issues if down the road I have to swap a new bolt into a not-new barrel.

40Arpent
02-25-13, 20:07
What Iraqgunz seemed to be trying to tell you is that barrels are not really a hot swappable item. You need a vise and receiver block, as well as a torque wrench, to remove and install a barrel. You also must install a gas block or FSB with gas tube when you change barrels. The preferred solution is to have a complete upper, including bolt, for each barrel.

An exception would be an LMT monolithic upper, but we know the OP is not talking about one of those.