PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory white paint from anodized aluminum parts.

Shao
02-25-13, 17:33
OK... So I really like the look of the Spike's Tactical billet trigger guard, and I had a chance to pick one up cheap, so I did. My thoughts were... "Well.. it has a spider on it... but I'm sure a little bit of my daughter's fingernail polish remover or acetone will take it right off..." To make a long story short, neither worked. The straight acetone seemed to removed the top layer but nothing else. I can still see the spider. Then it got me thinking - I really hate white paint on my guns. Every single one of them is an EBR (well with the exception of a stainless barrel on one) and white paint just doesn't look right on them. I want to get it all off - BCM logo, DD logo, Spikes Logo, everything. But I don't want to hurt the anodizing. I've read horror stories of people just smearing the paint around and end up getting it all jammed up into the porous anodizing, making a mess. Anyone ever do this successfully and care to help a brother out? :D

MistWolf
02-25-13, 20:00
I find gunpowder residue does a good job in covering up and subduing white markings. Lately, it's been expensive and hard to find but is easily applied at the range

Shao
02-25-13, 20:08
I find gunpowder residue does a good job in covering up and subduing white markings. Lately, it's been expensive and hard to find but is easily applied at the range

Yes, but by the time I accumulate enough to cover the trigger guard, I probably wouldn't care what the rest of the rifle looks like. :D

discreet
02-25-13, 20:43
You could always just sharpee them. Wont be completely invisible, but it will at least make them blend in. Thats what i do anyways. And you can always just rub the sharpee off if you change your mind.

Iraqgunz
02-25-13, 20:43
Moved to the correct area.

Split66
02-25-13, 20:49
By adding more paint.....of course :lol:

http://www.wfu.edu/~rollins/truck/summary/cans_2.jpeg

Shao
02-25-13, 20:56
Thanks for the suggestions.. but I learned long ago that Sharpie doesn't really match HA black aluminum too well and I refuse to Krylon my gun!!! White paint on guns is like tattoos on women - I prefer them without, but it's not a deal breaker. Sometimes I'll fixate on it and it drives me nuts. There's already engraving on my lower that tells me my gun is 5.56 - I don't need a little bullet marking on my upper to remind me. Mostly it's this spider though...

Split66
02-25-13, 21:01
I feel your pain. I don't own a Spikes and still I hate that @#$ing Spider.

I mean if you really want the markings gone, IIRC a firm like ADCO or US Anodizing could strip and refinish the parts for you. Might not be worth it cost wise, but it would get the job done.

http://www.usanodizing.com/services.htm

MistWolf
02-25-13, 21:10
...Sometimes I'll fixate on it and it drives me nuts...Mostly it's this spider though...

If spiders bother you that much, you could try to think of it as something else
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/denderwuz/spikeslogo.gif

(That'll help him sleep at night! http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/Smileys/alive/brew.gif)

Iraqgunz
02-25-13, 22:18
Do you realize just how silly this whole thing is?

Degs
02-25-13, 22:33

Airhasz
02-25-13, 22:38
Try paint thinner.

drx
02-25-13, 23:19
You could always cover/wrap it with vinyl. I've done automotive stuff with it and as long as you get the good stuff (1080, dinoc, etc) itll be durable and removable when you want to get rid of it. Some of them are good to ~400F IIRC.

Ttwwaack
02-25-13, 23:55
Two other options.... blast it off with PBM (Plastic Bead Media) but I would talk with an experianced opertor. PBM can be worked delicately enough to remove the CokeŽ label off of an aluminum beverage container without heat warping the surface or blowing a hole through it. Second would be some paint stripper. You might have to send it out to an anidizer to get it resealed but I'm not sure. Sprak with a qualified anodizing applicator.

Hope this helps, Greg

foxtrotx1
02-25-13, 23:56
Break cleaner, q tips, toothpicks and elbow grease.

mvician
02-26-13, 00:24
It's not paint. It is laser engraved.

Campbell
02-26-13, 06:46
This is painful...sell it and buy what you want to begin with. you got a deal right? Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad...ever hear of that one.

nolt
02-26-13, 08:44
if/when you figure it out you should definitely do a write-up with pictures.

and post it on pinterst or etsy or one of those crafty websites my wife looks at.

CobraBG
02-26-13, 08:56
Do you realize just how silly this whole thing is?

I couldn't agree more... that's the first intelligent response in this thread.

Karcas
02-26-13, 10:28
Thanks for the suggestions.. but I learned long ago that Sharpie doesn't really match HA black aluminum too well

Seriously? Who gives a shit if it matches perfect or not? It's on the damn trigger guard...how much time does anyone spend staring at that? :bad:

Shao
02-26-13, 13:14
Well thanks for the tips everyone. I think Mvician had it right - the reason why the acetone only removed the top layer is because it seems to be etched in. Oh well... Only an $8 lesson learned. Looks like I'll stick with other trigger guards that don't have that damned spider... I really can't use it now after seeing that Spike's logo beat it up with your dick thing... Now I wonder if the BCM and DD paint on my uppers is etched... :bad:

Palmguy
02-26-13, 14:02
Well thanks for the tips everyone. I think Mvician had it right - the reason why the acetone only removed the top layer is because it seems to be etched in. Oh well... Only an $8 lesson learned. Looks like I'll stick with other trigger guards that don't have that damned spider... I really can't use it now after seeing that Spike's logo beat it up with your dick thing... Now I wonder if the BCM and DD paint on my uppers is etched... :bad:

Those markings are lasered.

GH41
02-26-13, 15:05
How annoying can this be??
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/ghchhisc/Spikes_zps157e045c.jpg

^Rb
02-26-13, 15:27

To a guy who only recently learned about the AR15 platform and has more bullshit posts on this forum than actual rounds down the pipe of his gun, it's clearly really annoying. :x

Shao
02-26-13, 15:36
Those markings are lasered.

Oh well..

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/ghchhisc/Spikes_zps157e045c.jpg

It's annoying.. When I was a kid, the only paint (well, now I know it's not paint) on your gun was on the sights or under the safety... and guns came in blue/black, silver and wood - sometimes black plastic, unless you were one of those gold-plated, ivory grip guys.

To a guy who only recently learned about the AR15 platform and has more bullshit posts on this forum than actual rounds down the pipe of his gun, it's clearly really annoying. :x

:jester: really now, how would you know how many rounds I've fired over the past 4 months?*** I bet I've put more lead downrange than most in my lifetime.

***HINT: I've been on vacation since November and I've had a lot of time and money on my hands.

CobraBG
02-26-13, 21:10
IMO the best option for a replacement trigger guard is Rainier Arms Modified Enhanced Trigger Guard. It is smoothly contoured, anodized aluminum and (you'll like this:rolleyes:) there is no logo.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse