PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Give Away Ideas?

Dunderway
02-25-13, 20:59
Why do people constantly offer up money making ideas, free of charge? Is it a lack of initiative, or some ignorant hope that you will get some kind of credit or recognition? Ideas/ concepts will often be parallel in an industry like this (or any industry) but sometimes I see members post great ideas and just think; WTF! Why would you give that away!

Just a tip; if you have an innovative idea or design, do not offer it up freely on a public form unless you are very wealthy or have zero desire to build wealth.

Rant over.

SteyrAUG
02-25-13, 21:33
Why do people constantly offer up money making ideas, free of charge? Is it a lack of initiative, or some ignorant hope that you will get some kind of credit or recognition? Ideas/ concepts will often be parallel in an industry like this (or any industry) but sometimes I see members post great ideas and just think; WTF! Why would you give that away!

Just a tip; if you have an innovative idea or design, do not offer it up freely on a public form unless you are very wealthy or have zero desire to build wealth.

Rant over.

Sometimes it's the realization that you don't have the resources to actually develop the idea and you hope that some reputable company might bring it to production.

If you've ever tried to actually sell an "idea" you'd understand.

Dunderway
02-25-13, 21:40
I have sold ideas. I understand the "why won't Magpul mfg. Ak74 mags" type of thing, because that does require resources beyond most people. I'm talking more along the lines of "why doesn't this tiny machined part that has a giant built in market not exist?".

Kokopelli
02-25-13, 21:46
I've wondered the same thing. I worked in a college of engineering for 25 years and the electrical, mechanical and computing staff "invented" many many items that were used by others to complete degrees, secure contracts, etc.. we got nothing for it, but considered it our jobs. Looking back on it I now view it as a mistake.. Ron

Dunderway
02-25-13, 21:57
I've wondered the same thing. I worked in a college of engineering for 25 years and the electrical, mechanical and computing staff "invented" many many items that were used by others to complete degrees, secure contracts, etc.. we got nothing for it, but considered it our jobs. Looking back on it I now view it as a mistake.. Ron

I've know quite a few engineers that are just waiting for their contract/non-compete to expire so they can go to market/patent. If your job is R&D then that is understandable, but don't give up your ideas for free.

SteyrAUG
02-25-13, 22:05
I've know quite a few engineers that are just waiting for their contract/non-compete to expire so they can go to market/patent. If your job is R&D then that is understandable, but don't give up your ideas for free.

It isn't just the idea or even the product anymore. I've seen a few guys even build practical prototypes. The market seems designed to lock out the new guys or make it incredibly easy to steal their idea after they have done all the R&D.

If you don't have the money to ante into the big game, you really never get to play.

Dunderway
02-25-13, 22:25
Very true. Patent application times are currently ridiculous for non-life saving ideas. I would think that your best bet would be to make a working prototype/send out testing samples and promote the shit out of it online. At least then you could get the "**** those guys, they stole his idea" loyalty in an industry like firearms accessories. Maybe not though, people buy what is cheap and have short memories.

Brahmzy
02-25-13, 22:26
Most ideas aren't new. Very little new under the sun. You've gotta have an idea that nobody else has and RUN to get a patent before a big dog does it. If it is a gun part, chances are its been thought of before. Chances are a patent is in the process of being submitted. How quickly can you get that idea built, marketed, tested, reviewed, recommended and sold before interest dissolves or something even better is brought out or somebody sniffs and steals the IP because they're in a better position to get er done, quicker.

Using an existing idea engine/machine is much easier than starting from zero. You should read the story of BattleComp, here on this forum. Pretty interesting.

Few break the mold.

Dunderway
02-25-13, 22:48
How quickly can you get that idea built, marketed, tested, reviewed, recommended and sold before interest dissolves or something even better is brought out or somebody sniffs and steals the IP because they're in a better position to get er done, quicker.

This is what I am talking about, and very few people do it. If you live near a major city you could go from idea - CAD - prototype - forum sponsor in a matter of weeks. Companies usually get heat for stealing a genuinely new idea, instead of an inevitable development.

D. Christopher
02-26-13, 00:11
This area is changing at an incredible rate right now, so there's never been a better time to turn your own ideas into tangible objects that can be sold. We're right on the verge of being able to make things on our own computers and create them via 3-D printing. It's expensive at the moment, but within reach of many and will be in the hands of millions in the next 5 years, if we can hold it together that long.

People are already making AR magazines with this technique and even AR lower receivers. The materials aren't good enough yet for things like receivers and barrels but in time that too will change. This is going to make the gun-grabber's heads explode when they finally realize that it really is impossible to confiscate all our guns.

If you've got a great idea don't give it away, make it happen.

Dunderway
02-26-13, 00:14
This area is changing at an incredible rate right now, so there's never been a better time to turn your own ideas into tangible objects that can be sold. We're right on the verge of being able to make things on our own computers and create them via 3-D printing. It's expensive at the moment, but within reach of many and will be in the hands of millions in the next 5 years, if we can hold it together that long.

People are already making AR magazines with this technique and even AR lower receivers. The materials aren't good enough yet for things like receivers and barrels but in time that too will change. This is going to make the gun-grabber's heads explode when they finally realize that it really is impossible to confiscate all our guns.

If you've got a great idea don't give it away, make it happen.

That's the spirit!

Moose-Knuckle
02-26-13, 01:55
"Everyone is just one good idea away from being a millionaire."

I have copies of the original patents filed by one of my great-grandfathers with the USPTO. He invented multiple things from a rotary valve for THE Henry Ford to a vascular clamp that an uncle of mine discovered while working at a hospital that no one in the family even knew about.

Failure2Stop
02-26-13, 07:23

Rant over.

I had to essentially give away several concepts/designs beceause I was employed by the US military at the time of conception, and those things that I created were directly transferred to enabling troops to more efficiently burn-down booger-eaters and get more dudes back to their families, so, to me, it was worth it.

Some things in life are not judged by income.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-26-13, 11:19
We have a capitalist economy. The scarce resource is not ideas, but rather capital to implement the production of those ideas.

The other thing is that it is very expensive to bring a new product to market. Especially when you're talking about larger organizations to support it over a lifetime of product.

I do think that additive Manufacturing perhaps could make it so that The balance between and ideas changes.

Scrolling through pages and pages on thing verse though does not make me think that additive Manufacturing is a cure for everything.