PDA

View Full Version : ACE M4 SOCOM Stocks

ladders1901
03-14-08, 16:17
This is my first post on this site.

Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this stock? I am familiar with and do own other brands, but according to the ACE website this is supposed to be one tough stock.

(I did search, but found little information.)

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

threebanger
03-14-08, 17:04
I have one on my M&P & it is pretty damn tough. The foam is a nice touch for cheek weld when you're out in the sun or putting a ton or rounds down range. It comes with a nice silent swivel sling attachment point. The only issue 'per say' is you need to wrap the buffer tube threads with Teflon tape to get rid on the slop. Other than that the stock locks into positions nice & tight. The whole thing is aluminum & if you felt the need it would make one hell of a club/entry tool.

ARin
03-14-08, 17:42
heavy garbage.

the only thing that keeps the stock from rotating on the tube is set screws at the top. if used to butstroke, the set screws will gouge a track around the tube as the stock rotates.

dont ask me why i know this.

TY44934
03-14-08, 17:51
Not sure if its the one you ask about, but the original ACE stock is GREAT! It is light weight and perfect for 3gun. As for "stroke" - I don't know what you are talking about since it uses the beffer tube of your choice so the buffer/carrier have exactly the same stroke/length of travel as before. People running around Bagdad don't have time to post here; our guns are for entertainment value - thats it. This stock works well for entertaining activities like 3gun or showing off at the "range."

threebanger
03-14-08, 17:51
heavy garbage.

the only thing that keeps the stock from rotating on the tube is set screws at the top. if used to butstroke, the set screws will gouge a track around the tube as the stock rotates.

dont ask me why i know this.

if you can gouge a track that deep through the tube then you sorely miss judged the strength of aluminum. period. Or your setscrew backed out on you enough for it to rotate. In which case I would call it operator error.

ladders1901
03-14-08, 17:55
ARin:

Did this happen with the M4 SOCOM?

ACE advertised it as a tough stock (of course, I do understand the hype in advertising). I'll honor your request and not ask how you know this.

Thanks.

ARin
03-14-08, 18:45
yes, with the m4 socom.......and it didnt take much force to gouge it.

it didnt gouge all the way around the tube, but gouged into the slot about half a centimeter.

ladders1901
03-14-08, 20:07
Any other good reports on this stock?

ARin
03-14-08, 22:34
there are better stocks out there for the money.
get a magpul and call it a day.

mmike87
03-15-08, 12:06
I have one on my older M4gery and it's OK - but it wobbles in the receive and I had to put teflon tape around the threads to keep it from wobbling. The wobbling was independant of how tight the csrew was.

I have met others with the same issue - however some folks say that ACE has made some changes to the attachement method recently and it's better now. I have no personal knowledge of this, however.

I like my CTR a lot better.

ladders1901
03-15-08, 14:39
I appreciate everyone's feedback. It sounds like I need to move to another stock. The M4 SOCOM sounds like a great idea that was simply not well done.

Thanks.

MX5
03-15-08, 23:39
I've used one quite a bit on a Noveske SBR without any of the issues brought-up here. No slop, no wiggles, no teflon tape. I know others who've had no issues at all, one of which is on an M16 that gets used VERY hard. YMMV

FlyingHunter
03-16-08, 20:55
I use one on a Colt/PRI 6.8 and the stock has been GTG for about 3 years now.

ladders1901
03-17-08, 07:08
Has ACE made changes to the design and/or manufacturing of this stock?

It seems strange to me that there is such a wide range of experience with this stock. (Of course, I understand that there can also be variances in the lowers and how these stocks are used and abused.)

pappy86
03-17-08, 09:25
My first post also, I have had the Ace Socom stock and liked the cheek weld, how solid it was, and how quiet it was, but the button that allowed it to telescope became hard to push because the detents became rounded off, the set screw did loosen up. I have a Magpul CTR stock now, just as solid and lighter. and priced way lower.

Parabellum9x19mm
03-18-08, 20:45
I have three ACE SOCOMs two carbine and one rifle length. They are great You need to use loctite when you install it for sure.

The only other stock I would want would be an UBR, because those look amazing, but until I try one of those the SOCOM is my favorite.