PDA

View Full Version : "Duty" Folding Knife

Wake27
02-26-13, 20:33
I bought a Gerber 3-4 years ago at the PX and really liked it, but lost it the other day in the woods. I don't know the model, but it was assisted opening (which I really liked) and about $80. It was the only one I had so I'm looking for another. I said duty because its not going to be an EDC in civvies type thing but more of EDC in uniform. I don't need a tomahawk or fighting knife, but am also not concerned about it being easily concealed. I used the other one for basic cutting usually (MRE's, 550 cord, etc), but used it quite a bit. I do want something versatile though. I'd kind of like to be one and done on this since I'm not a huge knife guy. I'd also prefer to stick between Benchmade, Gerber, and SOG since I get discounts from all of those. It seems like that's the order for quality between the 3? I like the way the Benchmade Adamas looks, seems like a beast. Assisted opening (not so much auto) would be a plus. Any ideas?

JackFanToM
02-26-13, 22:31
I highly recommend a Kershaw Knockout...about $60, spring assisted with a flipper, light, large belly, very good blade steel, aluminum handle with a steel framelock, comes razor sharp out of the box. A less expensive heavier option is the Kershaw Cryo...Rick Hinderer design, steel handles, slightly cheaper blade steel, but has some gimping, and is damn solid too at around $30

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Knockout-1870.php

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Cryo-1555TI.php

SHIVAN
02-26-13, 22:56
Benchmade Barrage or Mini-barrage, but they are spendy at $100+.

VIP3R 237
02-26-13, 22:58
I've had a Benchmade on me for the last ten years. Imo you cannot beat Benchmade's Axis lock system. Their quality is awesome.

Wake27
02-26-13, 23:03

I should've mentioned, $140 is about the max I'd want to spend so that's doable.

I've had a Benchmade on me for the last ten years. Imo you cannot beat Benchmade's Axis lock system. Their quality is awesome.

I saw you recommend them in some other knife threads, didn't you also like the Barrage or was it a different model?

MrSunday
02-26-13, 23:29
My every day carry is a Benchmade Osborne 940. I have had more than a few knives over the years but this is one of my all time favorites. It might suit your needs well.

VIP3R 237
02-26-13, 23:38
I saw you recommend them in some other knife threads, didn't you also like the Barrage or was it a different model?

The Mini Barrage has been my edc for about 2 years now, its a sweet knife. My only complaint is the blade profile doesnt have the best tip, however the 154CM steel is easy to sharpen and holds and edge forever.

The Griptilian family is also great if you do not want spend a little more for an assisted open.

Shokr21
02-27-13, 00:08
For a uniform pocket blade I use CRKT m-16 something or others. They are about $40 a pop and I don't get too pissed if I lose 'em.

I tend to buy 1 or 2 a year, just in case ya know. I gifted them to my groomsmen and ushers with their names engraved on 'em.

It's a cheap do all knife that's fairly easy to put an edge on. I don't like spending much more than $50 or so bucks on a knife as I tend to lose them or use them for something a screwdriver or pry would be better at.

I'd guess I have somewhere between 5-12 of the things between my various bags, cars, pants pockets and boots.

youngAR
02-27-13, 00:10
Also look at Kershaw and Zero Tolerance. You can usually find companies that sell them with an LE/MIL discount. Spyderco also has an LE/MIL discount and are well made.

Vic303
02-27-13, 07:59
Between the three makers you listed, I would pick Benchmade all the way. But my own personal preference is for Spyderco.

Up1911fan
02-27-13, 08:22
I'd look hard at a ZT 0350.

Alexander
02-27-13, 22:23

Trajan
02-28-13, 11:27

I would advise against the barrage, or assisted opening in general. My 580 failed, but unlike my autos, when the mainspring failed, the blade totally locked up (ie. It was about half way open, would require a mallet to pound the blade open or closed). Had to be sent back to BM, they fixed it, but still....

I'd just get either a manual BM, such as the 810 Contego, or an auto like the Benchmade AFO II, Microtech LUDT, or Protech.

TF82
02-28-13, 11:28
I'm not in the military so your duty requirements may be different that those of LE, but I've carried a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian and recenlty replaced it with a Benchmade Rift. I really like the Rift and its solid and has a great cutting belly but it is pretty big. Honestly the Mini-Griptillian is a great all around knife and probably served my duty purposes a little better because of the handy size but it's much better for off-duty than the Rift. I carry a different knife off-duty because its NOT cool to trim your kid's straw at Cracker Barrel with the same knife you opened a glassine envelope with and the Rift is definately too big for that.

robbf213
02-28-13, 13:34
Check out kershawguy, he has Zero Tolerance blems at a great price. That being said, I have a ZT 0350 that is just about perfect. I know you do not get a discount on them but with the blem deal, it may work out to be the same. The ZT 0200 is another awesome knife, but it is a true beast in size!

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zt-blems/

Thanks for the heads up! I sold a 301 a while back and regretted it. Just picked up another for $165.

Insta-Gator
02-28-13, 14:03
+1 Kershaw. 1550 or 1830, depending if you like all black or not.

Sent via Tapatalk+Autocorrect: If you can figure out what it says, don't worry about the spelling :D

thatpanda
02-28-13, 15:28
Between the 3 companies you mentioned benchmade all the way. Axis locks are extremely strong and allow one handed closing. Not to mention benchmade uses premium steels in most if not all their blades. The only thing I dislike about benchmade is none of mine came very sharp from the factory. Easily remedied with a spyderco sharpmaker.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Socom Elite
03-01-13, 07:11
Gerber and SOG straight up suck ass. Benchmade is awesome. Check out the 710 (one of the most popular knives ever) 940 Osborn, Rift, Adamas. You said your price range is under $140 and there are a lot of Kershaw and Spydercos in that range too. I like the Kershaw Blur, Boa, also the ZT 0350 and 0200 in your range. Spyderco military and para military are really nice too.

incognito
03-01-13, 07:22
I have a Benchmade Triage, and I really like it. There are a few different versions for the blade, so you have a few options to get exactly what you want. My only gripe is that I wish the rescue hook locked in the out position like the blade does.

bruin
03-01-13, 11:18
Hard to go wrong between Benchmade, Kershaw, and Spyderco. You'll get great warranty service from all of them and find discounts/deals on the knife you want. I would aim for at least S30V or D2 steel because I prefer to go longer between sharpening and run thinner edges, where 154CM and cheaper steels don't hold up as well.

If you want more of a pure slicer, check out the Spyderco Military (for a 4" blade), Paramilitary (smaller ~3.5" blade), or Manix 2 (~3.5" blade but beefier handle). If you want a stouter blade, check out the Zero Tolerance line from Kershaw (i.e. 0350, 0566 coming soon).

Are you looking for a particular blade shape? Length? Weight? For example, the BM Adamas and bit ZT folders are pretty heavy for most people, but personally I don't "feel" a folder in my pocket that's under 4oz.

thatpanda
03-01-13, 12:27
Hard to go wrong between Benchmade, Kershaw, and Spyderco. You'll get great warranty service from all of them and find discounts/deals on the knife you want. I would aim for at least S30V or D2 steel because I prefer to go longer between sharpening and run thinner edges, where 154CM and cheaper steels don't hold up as well.

If you want more of a pure slicer, check out the Spyderco Military (for a 4" blade), Paramilitary (smaller ~3.5" blade), or Manix 2 (~3.5" blade but beefier handle). If you want a stouter blade, check out the Zero Tolerance line from Kershaw (i.e. 0350, 0566 coming soon).

Are you looking for a particular blade shape? Length? Weight? For example, the BM Adamas and bit ZT folders are pretty heavy for most people, but personally I don't "feel" a folder in my pocket that's under 4oz.

How is 154cm a cheaper steel? It's considered by most to be a super steel almost identical in composition to ats34, which is also a super steel. And d2 is a tool steel which is more ideal for fixed blades than folders due to it not being stainless. While d2 has great corrosion resistance for a tool steel, it doesn't hold a candle compared to the high tech stainless super steels now common place in folders.

Out of the knives I actually own and use, my favorite steels are vg10, s30v, and 154cm. All three take a wicked edge and stay sharp for a loong time, with S30v lasting the longest. Unfortunately s30v is a bitch to sharpen so my everyday knife is now a benchmade 520 presidio in 154cm, which was not a cheap knife or steel.

To the op, buy whatever you like, as long as its from a reputable manufacturer you should be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

bruin
03-01-13, 15:32
Yeah, on second thought D2 is pretty comparable to 154CM. Though both are cheaper than S30V, which is about the best you can get under $140. If you stretch it you can find some ELMAX or M390 knives in that price range.

Steel is just one aspect to consider - for example the Emerson CQC-8 is 90s era tech, but the design itself is phenomenal IMHO. I think the OP should get the best he can afford, but don't let steel alone hold a great knife back.

Fly8791
03-04-13, 08:14
Spyderco Pacific Salt. It is a quality knife that dosen't look like it was made to stab skulls.

It has H1 steel that is rust proof. (chemicaly different from "normal" steel) So you won't have to worry about it if you get rained on all night. (I once lost a knife to rust from ONE night of rain and sweat, It was a CRKT M16)

It is the size of the Spyderco Endura so it is light enough and thin enough to take into the field. And it won't break the bank on price.

I've found it to be a perfect knife for Firefighters/Emt's I've cut seatbelts, life safty grade rope, opened letters, cut clothing/shoes off of patients, plastic containers, rubber tubing, nomex threading, I even cut up a traffic cone with it so the cone would fit into a cramped compartment on our truck. It is great. I would say it holds it edge pretty well. I would put it somewhere betweeon 8CR13MOV/AUS8 and 154CM/VG10. So its isn't going to amaze you but it is pretty good.

domestique
03-05-13, 04:25
I love the Emerson "hook" for being able to open one handed while drawing from the pocket.

For a cheaper alternative Spyderco makes the Endura and Delica which is great for everday cutting of rope.

brianc3
03-05-13, 08:05
I love the Emerson "hook" for being able to open one handed while drawing from the pocket.

For a cheaper alternative Spyderco makes the Endura and Delica which is great for everday cutting of rope.

+1 on the Emerson with the Wave opening feature. I carry the CQC-7 at work and think it's a great knife.

bladescout26
03-06-13, 14:13
Cold steel has quite a few high value folders that are very well suited for duty use/carry great warranty and customer service as well

g-rap
03-12-13, 22:36
Just picked up a Boker plus Nano that resides in my pocket now. I usually carry the ZT 550 most of the time.

Degs
03-13-13, 00:54
I'm not LE or military, but I have the BM grip and mini grip. Love 'em. The mini fits perfectly in the change pocket of my jeans, and is my edc.

Backstop
03-17-13, 15:03
Another Benchmade vote here.

Either a Griptilian or a Mini-Griptilian.

That axis lock is outstanding.

gun71530
03-17-13, 15:58
I would go for a Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

PlatoCATM
03-17-13, 18:22
Check out the Zero Tolerance 566. It has a frame lock and elmax steel, but you'll have to wait until it's actually released. Bladehq has them for pre-order.

shaneinhisroom
03-17-13, 19:00
My Benchmade Osbourne is a 154CM and it came able to shave my arm hairs. My daily is a carbon fiber Spyderco that is S30V. Both are great and I recommend both.

MontePR
03-17-13, 19:32
IMO the Kershaw Blurr gets my vote for the money. I've been carrying one for a few years now. Holds a nice edge during daily use(I'm a autobody tech). Fast blade deployment and easy one hand close. I'm very happy with it. I've used CRKT and they can't hold an edge worth two shits in my experience. I however think that Benchmade is a better knife overall but like I said for the money IMO Kershaw holds pretty strong.

Wake27
03-18-13, 22:59
Just sent the payment for a 583 Barrage Axis-Assist. Thanks for the opinions guys.

jstalford
03-18-13, 23:05
YES .

I highly recommend a Kershaw Knockout

I'd look hard at a ZT 0350.

jasonhgross
03-20-13, 13:16
Spyderco Pacific Salt. It is a quality knife that dosen't look like it was made to stab skulls.

It has H1 steel that is rust proof. (chemicaly different from "normal" steel) So you won't have to worry about it if you get rained on all night. (I once lost a knife to rust from ONE night of rain and sweat, It was a CRKT M16)

It is the size of the Spyderco Endura so it is light enough and thin enough to take into the field. And it won't break the bank on price.

I've found it to be a perfect knife for Firefighters/Emt's I've cut seatbelts, life safty grade rope, opened letters, cut clothing/shoes off of patients, plastic containers, rubber tubing, nomex threading, I even cut up a traffic cone with it so the cone would fit into a cramped compartment on our truck. It is great. I would say it holds it edge pretty well. I would put it somewhere betweeon 8CR13MOV/AUS8 and 154CM/VG10. So its isn't going to amaze you but it is pretty good.

+1 on these recommendations. The H1 steel is amazing, it actually gets harder the more you use it believe it or not.

The_Count
03-20-13, 14:07
While I have several knives that I carry, I find that the two I carry when I can't carry a gun is the Spyderco Tasman Salt ( plain edge convexed) and the Blackjack 155. I have several others that I rotate, but these get a lot of carry time.

Chip

gunnut284
03-20-13, 15:21
While I have several nice knives I carry on my own time, for duty use I carry a Kershaw Blackout (it was free). The best duty knife I ever had was a $15 Buck Bantam, it was light, took a wicked edge and was cheap. The blade profile was very usefully shaped as well. But alas it disappeared somewhere.

Lawnchair 04
03-20-13, 17:08
I'm rocking a spyderco paramilitary 2 right now in a-Stan. Does everything I need it to on a daily basis, but I would love to get my hands on a bm Adamas folder. Anyone wanna help a brother out???:smile:

texan86
03-21-13, 22:19
Another vote for Benchmade. I carried an osborne for a few years, until I lost it. I now carry a Griptilian on duty and off. Its held up to alot. Great knife. The pocket clip was constantly coming loose, but some blue loctite solved that problem!

halo2304
03-27-13, 21:52
For Benchmade, I'd say the Griptillian. Any other brand, I'd say Emerson. I really like my CQC-10. If it were an auto, I'd say Microtech LUDT or, of course, a HALO. ;)

Guitarman
03-28-13, 02:50
I've carried the Zero Tolerance ZT350 CB on-duty for three years. Amazingly good knife and if for whatever reason, crap has gone wrong and you need to get into a good ol-fashioned knife fight, the ZT350 fits my hand like no other knife ever has. It is truly ergonomic and you will not lose your grip on it, even if it's covered in slick stuff.