PDA

View Full Version : AWB support by NRA Board member Jaoquin Jackson

TXBob
02-26-13, 21:44
http://youtu.be/uSGySNLyACE

Joaquin Jackson, Board of Governors NRA, supports AWB.

Please vote accordingly.

h/t to Larry Vickers Facebook page.

Don't leave the NRA
DO vote Mr. Jackson out.

Brimstone
02-26-13, 21:56
Now that is the NRA I remember.

Watrdawg
02-26-13, 22:03
Definitely vote him out!! He is exactly why we need someone like Larry in as a board member

kmrtnsn
02-26-13, 22:20
Larry "toe tappin" Craig should go too. He can take Ollie North with him.

Larry Vickers
02-26-13, 22:34
Watrdawg- I agree; maybe it was fate that an M4C member asked me a couple days ago about the NRA BOD but I have been giving it serious thought and after seeing this with Jackson I am leaning heavily for running for the board next year in 2014

I am still mulling it over but things like this really push me in that direction

If I decide to do it M4C will be the first to know

kmrtnsn
02-26-13, 22:40
Watrdawg- I agree; maybe it was fate that an M4C member asked me a couple days ago about the NRA BOD but I have been giving it serious thought and after seeing this with Jackson I am leaning heavily for running for the board next year in 2014

I am still mulling it over but things like this really push me in that direction

I'm sure you can find some other like-minded industry professionals to accompany you!

SeriousStudent
02-26-13, 22:53
Mr. Vickers, if we can be of any assistance, please let us know.

Like the bumper sticker on my previous pickup said: "I'm the NRA, and I vote."

rushca01
02-26-13, 23:16
Larry, I truly hope you decide to run. I know it's a huge sacfrice of your time but we need someone like you in a bad way.

We also need this guy too: http://www.bongino.com/about/

Iraqgunz
02-26-13, 23:22
This guy is a ****ing idiot and I guess it proves a few things.

1. Maybe I thought too highly of the NRA and I have to wonder how many others have this line of thinking.

2. Texas can also breed ****ing idiots when it comes to firearms.

3. There are those in LE who think it's ok that they have something as long as the rest of us "lowly" civilians don't have 'em. Of course I am sure that as a retired "Ranger" he has rights the rest of his fellow Texans don't.

Iraqgunz
02-26-13, 23:23
Larry,

I encourage you to take the step. You will get plenty of support. We need to do all we can to ensure that this clown gets tossed out and we need to send a message to the NRA that his line of thinking is not going to fly.

Magic_Salad0892
02-26-13, 23:25

If you run, I'll vote for you.

AKDoug
02-26-13, 23:30
The NRA is just like any other big organization. You can be a ****ing idiot and still run for a board seat. If the people vote you in, the voters are at fault. If he's never mentioned the AWB thing in the past, folks probably thought he was a good dude. Now we know and it's time to vote him out at the earliest chance.

3 AE
02-27-13, 00:01
That interview was done back in 2005. That video was uploaded in 2007. Mr. Jackson was called to task for his statement. His statement to clarify his position is in the article linked here.

http://www.firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=85

Whether to believe that he misspoke or not is up to you.

Biggy
02-27-13, 00:24
I think a lot of (but not all) older people around his age probably feel the same way towards AR's and hi-cap mags, as they are from what I call, the wood gun generation. Some of the same type people probably see no need to have a cell phone or a TV with a screen over 32" inches. I am sure he is a nice enough guy, "but" IMHO he no longer belongs on the NRA board. His 5 rd mag limit for *all* weapons for non LE is a joke. In this 2nd amendment fight, compromise will eventually lead to no 2nd amendment. Just remember, this fight isn't about gun control, gun violence, or crime control, its about *people control* by some of are elected government officials through their $ backers and the media. Little does pops know that after they get rid of the semi autos, they will be coming after his 6 shot lever action assault rifle. Wake up America !!!

Mauser KAR98K
02-27-13, 00:44
Hey, Larry, anyway to not only get you but also Travis Haley as well on the Board? We could really use some trainers and trigger pullers such as yourself to clarify that problems of gun violence while telling the country that restrictions that have been emotionally drawn up will have no bearing or effect the crazed mass murdering psychos.

Biggy
02-27-13, 00:48
If you run, I'll vote for you.

LAV, if you decide to run and get elected, I (as I can't speak for the other 1252 M4Carbine forum members), would gladly donate $50 dollars to help cover the three weeks of your donated time. Just let me know how and where to donate, if you would be for something like this.

Raven Armament
02-27-13, 00:55
That interview was done back in 2005. That video was uploaded in 2007. Mr. Jackson was called to task for his statement. His statement to clarify his position is in the article linked here.

People deserve a second chance, but not when it comes down to my rights.

F-Trooper05
02-27-13, 00:59

Love his statement there.

"Recently, some misunderstandings have arisen about a news interview in which I participated a few years ago. After recently watching a tape of that interview, I understand the sincere concerns of many people, including dear friends of mine. And I am pleased and eager to clear up any confusion about my long held belief in the sanctity of the Second Amendment."

Is that not the most patronizing paragraph ever? He's basically calling us all retards.

If LAV becomes a board member I'll be donating more money than I can afford to the NRA for a long long time. If nothing else, it would be nice to see someone on the Board who doesn't still shoot in the Weaver stance.

William B.
02-27-13, 07:45
Like others have said, this video is several years old. It was pretty dis-illiusioning for me. The only reason I kept my NRA life membership was so that I could vote for the BoD and maybe help salvage the NRA. Having somebody like Larry on the board would be a huge step in that direction!

RMiller
02-27-13, 07:53
Boot this clown:jester:

Mr. Vickers has my full support.:cool:

Safetyhit
02-27-13, 08:06
The NRA has never been a staunch supporter of evil black rifles so this should come as no surprise to anyone. That may be fixable but it's still always largely been the case.

Watrdawg
02-27-13, 08:13
One thing I have learned over the last 6 years as a member of a trade association board is that you have to get involved!! What is great is that a couple of you have said the main reason you have maintained your Life memberships is to be able to vote for BoD members. That is a great 1st step, but it is just the 1st step. Others have contacted their Congressman and Senators which is very very important! That's the next step. I'm up on the Hill 3,4, 5 times a year lobbying and I make it a point to stop in and see my local Reps. They definitely want to hear from you and will take the time to do so. Emails, phone calls and letters are also important!

The NRA is OUR association and if we do not make sure that like minded members are on the BoD then we only have ourselves to blame for the bad representation resulting from our laziness. Thats a harsh word but it's the best word to explain not being involved. Involvement can take many forms. Donations are just a small part. Blindly donating money doesnt do much good. Just gives idiots like Mr. Jackson more power to falsly represent us. I don't want to sound like I'm a full time, active worker for the NRA but I do express my opinion to the NRA and I don't hesitate to make a phone call when I hear something that upsets me. One thing I am very guilty of is not knowing who is who on the board. Sure we all know the famous people but there are a ton of names there that I have no clue who they are. I think that would be a great place to start is getting to know who is who and what they actually stand for. I know one name I'd like to see is Larry Vickers on that list.

Larry Vickers
02-27-13, 08:31
A few things have changed the game in recent years;

1) 'Black Rifles' are infinitely more popular now than when they were in 1994

2) Social media - like this forum - has totally handed the anti's their ass on a platter; I guarantee you none of them ever saw that coming !!!

* at the request of Safethit ;
3) Anyone who can't see what the founding fathers meant about the 2A in this day and age, with this president, and the state of affairs in our country clearly is living under a rock; you need guns to protect yourself and your loved ones because too many people in elected office either can't or won't protect you or want to restrict your right to protect yourself

SPQR476
02-27-13, 08:32
There needs to be a bunch of real dudes that oust the remaining pretenders in 2014. It's come a long way from 1994, but with a full infusion of quality trainers, patriots, and just people who have actually read the Constitution and the BOR, the organization may eventually be what it is supposed to be, and maybe the training programs would be un-screwed as well.

Anyone that considers an AWB or magazine ban something other than a complete insult and violation to the 2A has no business pretending to be a defender of our rights, and should be removed for cause instead of waiting for the next regular election.

Littlelebowski
02-27-13, 08:36
SPQR is dead on. We need a changing of the guard and LAV has my vote.

Jim D
02-27-13, 08:36

2) Social media - like this forum - has totally handed the anti's their ass on a platter; I guarantee you none of them ever saw that coming !!!

Say the word. If you end up running, I'll increase my membership status just to make sure I can vote for you.

We need people in leadership positions who are passionate, respected, and unwavering in their support of our rights. I can't think of a better man for the job!

Safetyhit
02-27-13, 08:45

Thought you had a few reasons, when you come up with one more I'll consider backing you as well. ;)

Of course you have all of our full and collective support. Good luck and keep us posted as promised.

Larry Vickers
02-27-13, 09:18
Safetyhit - noted and updated !!

opmike
02-27-13, 09:25
What's this? Another Fudd railing on about hunting and how much a person "NEEDS"? I'm hearing better arguments and understanding of the 2nd Amendment coming out of YouTube and 4chan these days than the "higher-ups" at the NRA. :rolleyes:

Changing of the guard? Absolutely and it should have been done yesterday. Vickers has my full support in this regard.

Thanks for the link.

What a well-stewed crock o'shit. He made his feelings known quite clear in that interview, and I see no reason not to take him at his spoken word. What I'm disinclined to believe is some some PR-damage-control statement issued after he was taken to task. Mr. Jackson is more than entitled to believe whatever he wants and to shoot and own whatever he wants. He just needs to do it somewhere else.

These are the types of people that will sell us up the river if they believed doing so would guarantee they could continue to own their five round hunting rifles. Some eventually "come around" on the issue, but I think many don't fully have their heart in fighting for AK47's and AR15's in the same way their do their duck guns. They're a liability and there's too much on the line.

Safetyhit
02-27-13, 09:31
Excellent Larry. And by all means do remember that when we unite as one here we can accomplish very small things in a tremendous amount of time. Or maybe it's the reverse, whichever.

djegators
02-27-13, 09:48

I would vote for you, and anyone like-minded. For those who complain about the NRA, we can make it better with our ballots, and voicing our opinion.

djegators
02-27-13, 09:55

3) Anyone who can't see what the founding fathers meant about the 2A in this day and age, with this president, and the state of affairs in our country clearly is living under a rock; you need guns to protect yourself and your loved ones because too many people in elected office either can't or won't protect you or want to restrict your right to protect yourself

And add to that we need people who acknowledge the war never ends, no matter how many battles. We also need to redefine things. Example, we are talking about 'arms' when referencing 2A, not necessarily 'weapons.' The intent was that every man was armed and trained, and therefore they made up the militia. The regular army was drawn from that. The founders were worried to death, for good reason, of a disarmed populace. We also need to turn the tables on the antis when they say 'compromise' and 'reasonable.' You want universal background checks? Then we want repeal of bans on SBRs and suppressors. We need to do more than defend our ground, we need to push back, and take back what was once ours. Repeal the restrictions on machine guns, repeal waiting periods, etc.

I firmly believe if we have the right kind of people running the NRA and we can get membership to say 20 million, we really can turn back the tide.

Jim D
02-27-13, 10:03
I would vote for you, and anyone like-minded. For those who complain about the NRA, we can make it better with our ballots, and voicing our opinion.

Agreed.

That has always been my frustration with them as well. This seems like the most effective way to effect change, though.

Ned Christiansen
02-27-13, 11:01
Larry, I know it's a big step but I think you're the man for he job. I know you would represent us well.

Caeser25
02-27-13, 14:20
Love his statement there.

"Recently, some misunderstandings have arisen about a news interview in which I participated a few years ago. After recently watching a tape of that interview, I understand the sincere concerns of many people, including dear friends of mine. And I am pleased and eager to clear up any confusion about my long held belief in the sanctity of the Second Amendment."

Is that not the most patronizing paragraph ever? He's basically calling us all retards.

If LAV becomes a board member I'll be donating more money than I can afford to the NRA for a long long time. If nothing else, it would be nice to see someone on the Board who doesn't still shoot in the Weaver stance.

This calls for a few fire missions via emailas well. Fire for effect.

Moose-Knuckle
02-27-13, 15:27
Saw Mr. Vickers mention this in his SME sub-forum the other day. Time for a change of the old guard for sure.

T2C
02-27-13, 15:53
Jaoquin Jackson was placed in a position of trust and responsibility by NRA members. He forgot to think first, then speak second. He does not have our best interests at heart. He needs to go.

I do appreciate some of the more colorful comments about him. :jester:

Vash1023
02-27-13, 15:57
Boot this clown:jester:

Mr. Vickers has my full support.:cool:

ditto

Rmplstlskn
02-27-13, 18:35
So far, from this thread, I have the following "DO NOT VOTE FOR" names:

H. Joaquin Jackson
Oliver North
Larry E. Craig

Out of the 29 names on the ballot, who else needs the boot by no votes?

Rmpl

Bulletdog
02-27-13, 18:39
My whole family are life members. We will all be voting for Mr. Vickers. We need your kind of common sense in there, sir. You have our full support.

boggyboy72
02-27-13, 19:32

H. Joaquin Jackson
Oliver North
Larry E. Craig

Rmpl

I get the reason for Jackson,but what about Ollie and Craig?

Sorry if I'm the only one that doesn't know.

Magic_Salad0892
02-27-13, 19:35
I thought Oliver North was one of the good guys?

threeheadeddog
02-27-13, 20:25
It is funny because I have a long and pointed conversation with the poor 20yr old girl who reciently called me for an NRA solicitation. I was very blunt and firm(though very polite) that the reason I had not yet gottem my life membership was because all too often I felt that certain segments of the gun owning population had in the past been marginalized. I talked for about 5 minutes with this very nice lady who seemed genuinely interested in hearing my complaints. She also seemed to be truely interested in relating my complaints to others.

I mentioned that I was an NFA and AR-15 owner and that I was only interested in supporting those that supported me. I also told her that under the current circumstance I would be signing up shortly because the NRA did seem to be fighting for me now. I kept it as brief as I could because I understand she has a job.

I will say that this conversation was very positive for my personal opinion of the NRA. The nice young lady who called me gave me a very positive opinion of the youth involved in the NRA and where the NRA could be if they are willing to listen. I also wonder if she looked up NFA after the call, since I didnt elaborate:D.

Rmplstlskn
02-27-13, 20:41

I don't know either... It was from a comment on the first page of the thread... I was hoping the comment maker would explain...

I know only a few of the people on the ballot, so I am hoping for some feedback...

Rmpl

thopkins22
02-27-13, 21:01
I will say that this conversation was very positive for my personal opinion of the NRA. The nice young lady who called me gave me a very positive opinion of the youth involved in the NRA and where the NRA could be if they are willing to listen. I also wonder if she looked up NFA after the call, since I didnt elaborate:D.

Just FYI, the chances that her paychecks say NRA on them are maybe one hair higher than zero...nor is she a volunteer. Almost assuredly not even in their building.

If the NRA is actually hiring people within the organization to man the phones and do that type of fundraising...then they need to seriously reevaluate who is in charge of their fundraising.

They likely raise money like ever other serious C3/C4 in the country which is to say that they have a team of a dozen or two people that handle real gifts, and they hire out the "membership" type collections to a third party.

Actually really interesting stuff...think the little boxes and lady on the phone asks for the same amount from everybody? Not remotely.

There are a couple of databases that organizations can pay to use that have your disclosed giving history and depending on how you earn your money, have your giving capacity. They use this to determine how often to contact you, how to contact you(based on how you've given money in the past,) and what kind of ask to make.

From some they ask for an immediate gift to the ILA of $50, from others they ask for $1000.

Data mining is crazy stuff....

crowkiller
02-27-13, 21:14
Larry "toe tappin" Craig should go too. He can take Ollie North with him.

Please explain why? I always liked Oliver North unless you can convince other wise Ill be voting for him.

currahee
02-27-13, 21:35
Glad I am a life member so I can vote now

kmrtnsn
02-27-13, 21:51
Please explain why? I always liked Oliver North unless you can convince other wise Ill be voting for him.

Oliver North is a lying, two-faced, self-serving felon. I don't give a **** that the sentences were vacated after he was convicted. He couldn't be retried because of immunity he was granted by Congress in exchange for testimony, which was ironic because he had perjured himself before Congress.

kmrtnsn
02-27-13, 21:53

Google these terms together, "Larry Craig bathroom airport".

crowkiller
02-27-13, 21:54
Im looking for recommendations on voting. Reading through the nominations so far here is the list I think sounds good to me please give opinions on who to add or subtract and why.
Bob Barr
Pete Brownell
Sandra Froman
Graham Hill
Tom King
George Kollitides
Oliver North
Johnny Nugent
Ted Nugent
James Porter II
Willie Robertson
Steven Schreiner
Don Young

thopkins22
02-27-13, 22:05

Didn't realize that it was THAT Larry Craig. :bad:

I actually could care less about some dude looking for handies in bathrooms...but serving on the ethics committee and introducing anti-gay legislation at the same time crosses the line just a bit.

Not sure how people forget about Ollie....

threeheadeddog
02-27-13, 22:57
:sad:
Just FYI, the chances that her paychecks say NRA on them are maybe one hair higher than zero...nor is she a volunteer. Almost assuredly not even in their building.

If the NRA is actually hiring people within the organization to man the phones and do that type of fundraising...then they need to seriously reevaluate who is in charge of their fundraising.

They likely raise money like ever other serious C3/C4 in the country which is to say that they have a team of a dozen or two people that handle real gifts, and they hire out the "membership" type collections to a third party.

Actually really interesting stuff...think the little boxes and lady on the phone asks for the same amount from everybody? Not remotely.

There are a couple of databases that organizations can pay to use that have your disclosed giving history and depending on how you earn your money, have your giving capacity. They use this to determine how often to contact you, how to contact you(based on how you've given money in the past,) and what kind of ask to make.

From some they ask for an immediate gift to the ILA of $50, from others they ask for $1000.

Data mining is crazy stuff....

:sad: consider my bubble bursted :sad:

thopkins22
02-27-13, 23:22
:sad:

:sad: consider my bubble bursted :sad:

Don't be sad...there's still plenty of reason to be a member. Membership numbers and being in on their information loop is huge for their ability to effectively lobby. Also, despite the manner in which they get the small gifts from most of us, they very likely receive most of their advocacy money that way. The Advocacy money is what they need most.

The big gifts are likely C3 which cover their operating budget...something they don't openly offer to the rest of us as the money they really need is C4. But I guarantee that they are at least partially set up as a C3, they shouldn't be paying employees other than those directly involved in lobbying with C4 money.

But in regards to the gal herself...yeah probably just a bubble. Although it sounds like maybe she's sympathetic to gun rights, a member herself, or just really good at her job. ;)

I suppose it's possible that they have enough interns to man the phones, but if they follow the model of most other advocacy groups then it's hired out. In this specific case I'm not sure as the NRA is kind of it's own beast...but I do have pretty intimate knowledge of political fundraising.

Dunderway
02-27-13, 23:23

I hope you do. Even if I ignored your service record, and involvement in the firearms community, I would vote for you on your recent 2A statements alone. Time to change the guard.

kmrtnsn
02-27-13, 23:24
Didn't realize that it was THAT Larry Craig. :bad:

I actually could care less about some dude looking for handies in bathrooms...but serving on the ethics committee and introducing anti-gay legislation at the same time crosses the line just a bit.

Not sure how people forget about Ollie....

Don't get me wrong, I could care less about Craig's sexual orientation. What I do care about is the non-stop lying and casting of blame in other directions that ensued after the encounter, coming from Craig. That is what bothers me about his character, not that he wants to puff peters from noon to night.

SteyrAUG
02-28-13, 01:41
Talk about timing, just became a Life Member recently.

TXBob
02-28-13, 10:13
Im looking for recommendations on voting. Reading through the nominations so far here is the list I think sounds good to me please give opinions on who to add or subtract and why.

<snip>

Second that--I need some insight into who is who.

I may be a tier-3-high-drag-low-speed-mall-ninja, but I DO have a vote and I DO care about my freedom.

William B.
02-28-13, 10:15
Oliver North is a lying, two-faced, self-serving felon. I don't give a **** that the sentences were vacated after he was convicted. He couldn't be retried because of immunity he was granted by Congress in exchange for testimony, which was ironic because he had perjured himself before Congress.

crowkiller,

In addition to the info that kmrtnsn mentioned above, I have a couple of personal Ollie North stories from when I was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Please PM me if you're interested in hearing them.

SteyrAUG
02-28-13, 11:56

This gives me HOPE that things can CHANGE back.

:D

Safetyhit
02-28-13, 15:52
Take note of this descriptive and current article in full via the link:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2991391/posts

The way that NRA elections work is this. There are 29 names on the ballot and you are entitled to vote for up to 25 candidates. Generally, if you want to get someone on the Board, you would vote only for that one person, however, here we want to insure that Jackson does not get reelected so everyone should vote for 25 candidates and make sure that he is not one of them.

The candidates this year are:

1. Joe M. Allbaugh 2. Bob Barr 3. Graham Hill 4. Susan Howard 5. Frank E. Bachhuber Jr. 6. Richard Childress 7. Pete Brownell 8. Marion P. Hammer 9. H. Joaquin Jackson 10. Oliver L. North 11. Larry E. Craig 12. Tom King 13. Johnny Nugent 14. Sandra S. Froman 15. Ted Nugent 16. Willie J. Robertson 17. George Kollitides 18. Dave Butz 19. Karl A. Malone 20. Don E. Young 21. Dwight D. Van Horn 22. James W. Porter II 23. Robert E. Sanders 24. Joel Friedman 25 Carol Bambery 26. Matt Blunt 27. Steven C. Schreiner 28. Jeffrey S. Crane 29. Lance Olson

CarlosDJackal
02-28-13, 16:35
Let us remember that the NRA is an organization. Just like any other organization it is run by individuals.

Before we start saying how bad the NRA is, let us also remember when the last time we actually cast a well thought-out vote for an NRA Board of Director. I for one have never really given it much thought until now.

Let us make sure this moron and others like him gets booted out and replaced by someone who is truly pro-Constitution. I plan on correcting this at the next elections.

If anyone else has any insight on the other members of the board; please share them so the rest of us can better decide just how we should cast our vote.

boggyboy72
02-28-13, 16:39

Oh,THAT Larry Craig.

SteyrAUG
02-28-13, 20:06

H. Joaquin Jackson
Oliver North
Larry E. Craig

Rmpl

Honestly, Bathroom Larry probably deserves our vote more than any other person. He is the SOLE reason the assault weapon ban was NOT renewed when a Republican majority Congress SUCCESSFULLY AMENDED THE RENEWAL of the Clinton Ban to his industry protection bill in 2004 (just prior to the sunset)

At that point Glory Hole Larry KILLED his own bill. Not many members of Congress willing to do that. They LIVE to get their own bills passed no matter what gets saddled to it.

Keep in mind that then President Bush had already stated in 2000 that he would sign such a renewal if it reached his desk.

So everyone here needs to get over their homophobia (or whatever) and realize Larry was just looking to get some disco stick time with like minded playmates in airport restrooms and keep this guy on board at the NRA.

If you own a Colt 6920, 6933, etc. you can thank Larry's pasty white butt for that directly. If it wasn't for that single act on that day the Clinton Ban would have been successfully submitted and most likely renewed before it expired.

Iraqgunz
02-28-13, 22:32
Larry can play with my dicsostick as long as we can keep our damn weapons! I agree with your sentiments.

Honestly, Bathroom Larry probably deserves our vote more than any other person. He is the SOLE reason the assault weapon ban was NOT renewed when a Republican majority Congress SUCCESSFULLY AMENDED THE RENEWAL of the Clinton Ban to his industry protection bill in 2004 (just prior to the sunset)

At that point Glory Hole Larry KILLED his own bill. Not many members of Congress willing to do that. They LIVE to get their own bills passed no matter what gets saddled to it.

Keep in mind that then President Bush had already stated in 2000 that he would sign such a renewal if it reached his desk.

So everyone here needs to get over their homophobia (or whatever) and realize Larry was just looking to get some disco stick time with like minded playmates in airport restrooms and keep this guy on board at the NRA.

If you own a Colt 6920, 6933, etc. you can thank Larry's pasty white butt for that directly. If it want for that single act on that day the Clinton Ban would have been successfully submitted and most likely renewed before it expired.

SteyrAUG
02-28-13, 23:28
Larry can play with my dicsostick as long as we can keep our damn weapons! I agree with your sentiments.

And along those lines, if we are gonna vote based upon Questionable Character then you need to add Bob Barr to that "no vote" list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Barr#Controversies_over_Barr.27s_personal_conduct

I think the whip cream incident can safely be ignored. But paying for an abortion when you have an anti abortion stance is the same kind of hypocrisy we hate most Dems for.

SteyrAUG
03-01-13, 01:43
Still haven't seen where most of these guys stand on AR-15 rifles and they really need to go "on the record" if they are gonna be on the board.

If you want to know more about Larry "I Saved All Your Asses" Craig.

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Larry_Craig.htm#Gun_Control

Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Voted NO on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted YES on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)
Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks. (Jul 1998)
Rated A+ by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Dec 2003)
Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC. (Mar 2007)
Allow firearms in National Parks. (Feb 2008)

Magic_Salad0892
03-01-13, 04:04
I didn't THINK he was a bad guy.

SPQR476
03-01-13, 05:06
I've now heard that Joaquin is actually on the right side, misspoke in a 9 year old interview, tried to correct it in the interview, but the reporter wanted nothing of it, saying,"I've got what I wanted." Joaquin then supposedly issued a public apology tithe NRA board. I wasn't there, and I'm not saying "it's all good", but I'm personally gonna look further into it. Dealing with the press over these past months in our fight here, I know damn well how some reporters will use some pretty sly tricks to get you to say what they want, or that they can twist into what they want. Certainly not getting a pass, but I'm looking for supporting evidence one way or another.

I'm as guilty as anyone of cherry picking the few names that I know and not researching everyone on the bod ballot, but I don't intend to continue that practice.

William B.
03-01-13, 06:51
Before we start saying how bad the NRA is, let us also remember when the last time we actually cast a well thought-out vote for an NRA Board of Director. I for one have never really given it much thought until now.

I did as much research as I could last year and voted for Scott Bach, Ronnie Barrett, and Joe DeBergalis. The problem is that there is not much info out there on the non-celebrity board members other than the bios that are printed in the NRA mags. I think there was one guy who created a website for his NRA BoD campaign and a couple of others who made Youtube videos, but not much else.

Larry Vickers
03-01-13, 07:07
I agree a forum or website highlighting who and what the NRA BOD are all about is a great idea- first step is to take the bios and allow respectful comments either pro or con

This would be a great tool for NRA members to know who are representing them - this thing with Jackson languished for years and is just now really coming to light; he should have been shown the door a long time ago

Personally I don't think anyone should be allowed on the BOD that doesn't fully understand the 2A is NOT about hunting; hunting is a nice little side benefit citizens get from the real meaning of the 2A - and the minute anyone on the board vocalizes anything different they should be shown the door; that is exactly what the anti's want to do is divide us and we can't allow it- not for a second

Unfortunately for Jackson he doesn't get a second chance in my book- nor does he deserve one. There are things in this world that are one strike and your out; a change of heart after the fact doesn't cut it- in the Unit I served most of my military time in they would cut you slack for certain things; other things were cross the line once and their is no coming back- your gone

Clint
03-01-13, 07:10

Exactly,

The current social / political situation that we're all living through is exactly the kind of situation the 2A was designed for.

As a side note, I believe the right to self protection is more fundamental than the right to free speech.

I believe the founders were being (overly) optimistic by making the 1A about free speech vs self protection.

William B.
03-01-13, 07:33
I agree a forum or website highlighting who and what the NRA BOD are all about is a great idea- first step is to take the bios and allow respectful comments either pro or con

Sadly enough, the anti-gunners already have a website highlighting the board members: http://www.meetthenra.org/

Ironically, that's where I found a lot of info doing my research :eek:

kmrtnsn
03-01-13, 10:00
My problem with Larry Craig is that after the airport incident happened, Craig went on a personal attack against the officer that arrested him.

SteyrAUG
03-01-13, 12:54
My problem with Larry Craig is that after the airport incident happened, Craig went on a personal attack against the officer that arrested him.

Standard fare politics. He also pulled the "don't you know who I am?" game when he presented his card that identified him as a Senator.

I wouldn't want to play cards with him.
I wouldn't want to lend him money.
Not sure it would be wise to let him babysit your kids.

But I'm damn sure gonna vote for him because so far he is the only person I've seen who stood hard (out of the entire Republican majority Congress of 2004) and said **** NO when it came to renewing the ban.

It came down to one damn person to move it forward or kill the bill he had put so much time and effort in. And he did the right ****ing thing. In my view he earned a permanent seat that day.

We know very little about a lot of people on that list.

We know two things about Craig.

1. Apparently he digs random bathroom hookups with strange men.

2. When the chips are down and it looks grim, he will hold the fort.

Keep in mind this isn't an election for President of the country. This is for NRA board of directors and here you should be a SINGLE ISSUE voter. I want an aggressively PRO GUN / PRO BLACK RIFLE NRA board.

In a perfect world there'd be two Larry's on the board. Vickers is just gonna have to watch his six in the NRA restrooms.

You made some fair points about Oliver North and I'm on the fence there. The man is an experienced politician with the worst kinds of experience. But if I could find a record of him taking a defiantly pro gun stance regarding AR-15s and the like I'd be voting for him too.

SteyrAUG
03-01-13, 13:01

This would be a great tool for NRA members to know who are representing them - this thing with Jackson languished for years and is just now really coming to light; he should have been shown the door a long time ago

Personally I don't think anyone should be allowed on the BOD that doesn't fully understand the 2A is NOT about hunting; hunting is a nice little side benefit citizens get from the real meaning of the 2A - and the minute anyone on the board vocalizes anything different they should be shown the door; that is exactly what the anti's want to do is divide us and we can't allow it- not for a second

Unfortunately for Jackson he doesn't get a second chance in my book- nor does he deserve one. There are things in this world that are one strike and your out; a change of heart after the fact doesn't cut it- in the Unit I served most of my military time in they would cut you slack for certain things; other things were cross the line once and their is no coming back- your gone

Completely agree.

We aren't in a battle over hunting rights. And when you talk about your "sporter clay" shotgun or "deer" rifle you invite the Joe Biden's and the John Kerry's to do the same. We need people like Lindsey Graham who will flat out state "I own an AR-15."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjvjSGAEEY

Hard enough to get them into the House and Senate. Should be no reason to not have a packed house on the NRA BoD.

Belloc
03-01-13, 18:25
Edit.

SteyrAUG
03-01-13, 18:44
Don't know if you replied to me or not.

All I see is...

This message is hidden because Belloc is on your ignore list.

:D

Belloc
03-01-13, 19:59
Edit.