PDA

View Full Version : 5 Nuclear Carriers Into Harbor

VooDoo6Actual
02-27-13, 01:12
http://news.usni.org/2013/02/08/navy-lincoln-refueling-delayed-will-hurt-carrier-readiness/five-carriers-in-norfolk

http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2012/12/home-for-christmas-9-flattops-at-norfolk-dec-20-2012/

http://beforeitsnews.com/military/2013/02/5-nuclear-carriers-into-harbor-for-routine-inspections-this-is-definitely-a-problem-2449952.html

3 AE
02-27-13, 01:44
Kind of reminds me of "Battleship Row" at Pearl Harbor. What's the Navy to do? U.S.S. Enterprise is inactive and due for decommissioning in March. The others are in for refit and repairs. Is there another facility that can handle the necessary requirements to get the job done in a timely manner? I don't know the answer.

Honu
02-27-13, 01:50
If they get hit this administration will say We had no idea nothing like this has happened in history before !
Maybe its a good start to disarmament and peace talks lets just wait and see what happens !

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-27-13, 06:51
well we still have 11 more not counting the LHDs at least that was the count when I was in. Plus what other country even has more than one? The Russians with the Vladivostok NO, the French NO. Maybe China has some now?

J8127
02-27-13, 06:58
It does't matter how many other countries have.

Wake27
02-27-13, 07:11
Not the smartest move, but I doubt it'll amount to anything. Looks badass though.

T2C
02-27-13, 07:12
This sort of thing was discussed at length in 1980 when I was stationed in the Tidewater area. It is a poor security practice.

We learn nothing from the past. History is doomed to repeat itself.

Irish
02-27-13, 08:36
I'd love to own a bar in that town...

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-27-13, 10:41
I lived in the bars there

SOWT
02-27-13, 13:49
1. Photo was taken in December just before Christmas.

2. CVN65, Enterprise, was decommissioned last year. She is being dismantled so you shouldn't count her in the photo.

3. Two of the carriers pictured are still undergoing sea trials and don't have assigned Airwings, so no big deal.

4. Of the two remaining, one has left; the Truman should have left but is pending deployment based on sequestration.

So really not a big deal.

T2C
02-27-13, 16:03
I'd love to own a bar in that town...

No you wouldn't. I use to run the bars when I lived in Little Creek and guys like me still drink there.

GeorgiaBoy
02-27-13, 16:07
1. Photo was taken in December just before Christmas.

2. CVN65, Enterprise, was decommissioned last year. She is being dismantled so you shouldn't count her in the photo.

3. Two of the carriers pictured are still undergoing sea trials and don't have assigned Airwings, so no big deal.

4. Of the two remaining, one has left; the Truman should have left but is pending deployment based on sequestration.

So really not a big deal.

You mean to tell me this isn't a plot by "the administration" to cripple our defenses and allow the UN to take us over and establish a new world order?

Blasphemy!

a0cake
02-27-13, 17:08
You mean to tell me this isn't a plot by "the administration" to cripple our defenses and allow the UN to take us over and establish a new world order?

Blasphemy!

You should have seen the article the OP originally had up before using that magic no-trace edit button they've got. It was crazy.

Without a doubt, what you posted is what's being implied here.

PS. You forgot to use the word agenda. This agenda is definitely part of their agenda.

thopkins22
02-27-13, 17:26

Blasphemy!
No but...

It's part of a plot to pretend that a 2% cut(when the defense budget has doubled in the last 10 years) actually harms our readiness and ability to defend ourselves in any way. If the military leadership can't find a way to cut 2% from their budget, then they should all be deemed mentally incompetent and removed from service.

Whatever the budget is at any point in time, liberals and progressives have and will continue to argue that it's the bare minimum required to prevent immeasurable suffering. And unfortunately, many so called fiscal conservatives refuse to look at the overall defense budget and believe that a single dime less will have the Chinese patrolling our streets and raping our women.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-27-13, 18:21
A picture of the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth most powerful airforces in the world...

We have more carriers sitting around than the rest of the world has carriers? Don't the English and the French have joint custody of a carrier now while England's is on lay-away?

Canonshooter
02-27-13, 18:28
Hopefully, the Iranians don't send in a squadron of their flying duck boats to attack....

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/scoopdeck/files/2010/09/iran-flying-boat-detail.jpg

Irish
02-27-13, 18:33
No you wouldn't. I use to run the bars when I lived in Little Creek and guys like me still drink there.

I used to call the Lincoln home and I know how much money we give to local bars :) And if that was X 5 that'd be big $$$

T2C
02-27-13, 18:37
I used to call the Lincoln home and I know how much money we give to local bars :) And if that was X 5 that'd be big $$$

Maybe the Office Lounge, Brass Rail or Pirate's Cove is for sale.

Irish
02-27-13, 18:41
Maybe the Office Lounge, Brass Rail or Pirate's Cove is for sale.

Not familiar with those. I was on the Lincoln when it was in Everett, WA and the yard period in Bremerton... $1 drink nights in Bremerton were a sight to see and they don't call'em Bremelos for nothin!

T2C
02-27-13, 21:53
Not familiar with those. I was on the Lincoln when it was in Everett, WA and the yard period in Bremerton... $1 drink nights in Bremerton were a sight to see and they don't call'em Bremelos for nothin!

The Captain's Mast was a family place.......for the Manson family. Feldo's and the Sand Bar were nice quiet bars. If you did not bring your own gun, Feldo's would loan you a gun and knife at the door before they would allow you into the bar. I need to make a long distance telephone call to see if I am still banned from Feldo's. After 29 years, maybe they misplaced the banned patrons list.

kmrtnsn
02-27-13, 22:34
You should have seen the article the OP originally had up before using that magic no-trace edit button they've got. It was crazy.

Without a doubt, what you posted is what's being implied here.

PS. You forgot to use the word agenda. This agenda is definitely part of their agenda.

And you were surprised?

SMETNA
02-27-13, 23:36
The only realistic threat, as of right now, to those CVNs is a terrorist nuke. No nation-state would dare attack the US mainland at this time.

J8127
02-27-13, 23:49
No but...

It's part of a plot to pretend that a 2% cut(when the defense budget has doubled in the last 10 years) actually harms our readiness and ability to defend ourselves in any way. If the military leadership can't find a way to cut 2% from their budget, then they should all be deemed mentally incompetent and removed from service.

Whatever the budget is at any point in time, liberals and progressives have and will continue to argue that it's the bare minimum required to prevent immeasurable suffering. And unfortunately, many so called fiscal conservatives refuse to look at the overall defense budget and believe that a single dime less will have the Chinese patrolling our streets and raping our women.

I invite you the read the Joint Chiefs testimonies as to the steps they will immediately be taking if sequestration goes through. No ammo for training, no Q3 and 4 maintenance, 100k less soldiers, no training sorties, furloughed civilian jobs, CSG deployments cancelled, its already started.

The budget has doubled because of OEF, OIF, and salary increases for troops. Taking those out, the budget has only risen 30% since 2001, which isn't as much as it sounds like.

The military has already cancelled 50 future weapons programs and started DOS rollbacks. Despite being 20% of the budget and one of the only constitutional things the federal government spends money on, they will make half the cuts called for by sequestration.

thopkins22
02-28-13, 00:36
I invite you the read the Joint Chiefs testimonies as to the steps they will immediately be taking if sequestration goes through. No ammo for training, no Q3 and 4 maintenance, 100k less soldiers, no training sorties, furloughed civilian jobs, CSG deployments cancelled, its already started.

The budget has doubled because of OEF, OIF, and salary increases for troops. Taking those out, the budget has only risen 30% since 2001, which isn't as much as it sounds like.

The military has already cancelled 50 future weapons programs and started DOS rollbacks. Despite being 20% of the budget and one of the only constitutional things the federal government spends money on, they will make half the cuts called for by sequestration.

I read it...I just don't buy it. A budget increase of 30% over ten years is huge. Guess how much the average salary has increased during the same time? Or the average operating budget of a company?

It's like I said about liberals(and apparently generals) whatever the current budget is, happens to be the bare minimum required to keep us from immeasurable suffering and/or being slaughtered wholesale by the Chinese.

The budget(even if you believe in big government) should be constant to GDP. Historically our government has operated(and we've dominated the world during this time) at 15-18% GDP. If a reduction in growth(not a real factual reduction) is enough to bring our military to it's knees, then we need new and real leaders because that's bullshit.

And that's not to say that servicemen don't deserve the best body armor, and decent pay, and all the training they desire...but at the end of the day that's like welfare. That is to say a drop in the bucket compared to the overall expense.

Politicians NEED to cut back on defense spending, just like they NEED to address medicare/medicaid and social security. They are all bloated, and they are all bringing this country to its knees. To pretend that we can keep this up is to be blatantly and intentionally ignorant the dire straights that we're in.

Cutting ObamaCare won't do it, cutting a little defense spending won't do it, doing a little means testing and fancy accounting of social security won't do it. We need serious reform in all of those ares within the next decade, because the numbers are very, very, scary. We can't tax our way out, we can't cut our way out without breaking promises, and we can't print our way out. The only way is a serious rethinking of the way we do business.

ETA: These are the same people telling us these things that tell us a business can be taxed another few percent with nothing bad happening. Come on government, get some skin in the game!

ReasonTV nailed it. http://youtu.be/TW3rrnXE1sg

J8127
02-28-13, 01:43
I dont disagree, but the sequestration money is going to come from things like training. They are already taking printers out of officers and canceling exercises. Nothing OEF related will be cut, nothing "Global Response" related will be cut, the empire wont become smaller, it's going to come from all the day to day shit. I don't disagree thats wrong, but it is reality.

EDIT - Just found out my father and 5 other project managers have been laid off because all construction on the base his company did like 90% of its business with has been cancelled. I told him to sign up for an Obama phone and every social program he can out of spite.