PDA

View Full Version : S&W customer service.......not a great experience...can you help me out

adh
02-27-13, 15:30
Below is copied and pasted direct from my email:

REFERENCE NUMBER: LTK************ Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
SUBJECT: Sear Plunger Help

Dear Customer,

The part requested is factory installed only, we do not have access to the parts through the service department. The firearm will need to be sent in for repair.

If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.

Sincerely,

In case this email does not fully answer your question, or you would like to contact us for any reason, simply reply to this email. You can also get immediate assistance using our Chat support service at:

This message, including all attachments: (i) May contain technical data as defined in the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR) 22 CFR 120.10. Export of this material is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2751 et seq.) and may not be exported or transferred to non-U.S. persons without prior written approval from the U.S. Department of State; and (ii) Is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this communication in error, please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Thank you.

========== Original Message ==========

Subject: Sear Plunger Help

I'm writing in hopes that you can help me.
Today I disassembled by M&P 45 S# ********
I wanted to verify if I had the earlier small plunger or the newer large plunger.
As you can tell by the serial # I have the small plunger....or I should say had.
I accidentally dropped the plunger and could not find it. I tried and tried, but after three hours I gave up looking for the minuscule little plunger.
Can I buy another one direct?

Thanks

My Name
Address
& Phone # here

So bottom line is that I just bite the bullet and send it back...Midway and Brownells have replacement sear housing for 9mm, .357 sig and .40 but not .45.
If any of the board members has a source for a replacement sear plunger (small) let me know please.
Thanks
ADH

chakup
02-27-13, 15:33
Did you check gandr?

adh
02-27-13, 15:35
Did you check gandr?

At you suggestion I just did....same...sear housing for 9mm, etc. but not for .45

TomMcC
02-27-13, 16:19
Speedshooterspecialties.com has the small plunger in stock. $3

adh
02-27-13, 17:16
Speedshooterspecialties.com has the small plunger in stock. $3

TomMcC
Thanks for the heads up.

On another note, I'd like to get some input from the board members....the impetus for checking the sear plunger was do to an opportunity to possibly trade off the M&P for a Glock 21 Gen 3 IIRC....I was not totally sold on the deal, but was entertaining the idea. I rarely shoot/carry the M&P. My primary carry gun is a G17 and I just prefer the 9mm but feel that I should have a .45 in the stable. Since I REALLY like the G17 I figured I may like the G21 more than the M&P and shoot/cary it more.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm guessing that if I choose to keep the M&P I should probably go ahead and replace the sear housing with a newer one with the larger plunger.

Thanks

Nick S
02-27-13, 17:48
As a side note if you have the small plunger it would be a good time to upgrade to the large plunger. If it were me I would order a new Sear Housing Block from SSS and call it a day.

Psalms144.1
02-27-13, 20:30
While I don't carry a S&W, I'm not sure why you would consider this "not a great experience." Many many many firearms manufacturers will not sell parts directly to non-certified armorers on an individual basis. Glock will not, Sig-Sauer would tell you that what you did invalidated the warranty on their pistols.

I know it's frustrating, but, firearms can be somewhat complex, and, all the parts need to be in the right place the right way for them to work correctly. If you lost a lug nut off your F150, would you call Ford and ask them to send you one directly? Of course not - you'd go to Pepboys or some such joint...

Luckily, as several people have pointed out, there are LOTS of places to purchase OEM or aftermarket parts besides direct from the factory. Hopefully you'll get what you need and be back in the game quickly.

Regards,

Kevin

adh
02-27-13, 20:38
While I don't carry a S&W, I'm not sure why you would consider this "not a great experience." Many many many firearms manufacturers will not sell parts directly to non-certified armorers on an individual basis. Glock will not, Sig-Sauer would tell you that what you did invalidated the warranty on their pistols.

I know it's frustrating, but, firearms can be somewhat complex, and, all the parts need to be in the right place the right way for them to work correctly. If you lost a lug nut off your F150, would you call Ford and ask them to send you one directly? Of course not - you'd go to Pepboys or some such joint...

Luckily, as several people have pointed out, there are LOTS of places to purchase OEM or aftermarket parts besides direct from the factory. Hopefully you'll get what you need and be back in the game quickly.

Regards,

Kevin

Not trying to be combative with you, but unless TomMcC had directed me to a place that had the plunger I would not have found one...I looked at two of the most likely places to stock such a part(Midway and Brownells) as well as trying my best googling and didn't find squat. I understand that some folks may want to or feel they have the ability to detail strip a pistol, but it really is not that hard....if the small plunger was not so damn minuscule I would not have lost it. I am really surprised that I did not get a response more along the lines of....sorry to hear that, we'll tape one to a piece of paper and mail it to you right away.
We can agree to disagree. I guess.

adh
02-27-13, 20:41
As a side note if you have the small plunger it would be a good time to upgrade to the large plunger. If it were me I would order a new Sear Housing Block from SSS and call it a day.

I think what I'm going to do is buy the small plunger as well as upgrading to the larger plunger sear housing....having a spare sear housing around isn't going to be a bad idea for an extra $3

rjacobs
02-27-13, 20:51
Did the 45 ever get the larger sear plunger and spring? Mine is an older one and I have never had any issues with it. hell I never had any issues with my small plunger 9mm either, only upgraded to the large housing when I got the Apex FSS kit because Randy recommended it with the FSS kit.

adh
02-27-13, 20:52
Did the 45 ever get the larger sear plunger and spring? Mine is an older one and I have never had any issues with it. hell I never had any issues with my small plunger 9mm either, only upgraded to the large housing when I got the Apex FSS kit because Randy recommended it with the FSS kit.

Yes it did....that's why I checked mine.

lethal dose
02-27-13, 20:53
I fail to see how this could be construed as a negative CS experience. They were unable to provide a part at retail do offered to fix it for you.

rjacobs
02-27-13, 20:55
Yes it did....that's why I checked mine.

Good to know, although I wont be searching one out. I guess I subscribe to if it aint broke, it dont need fixing.

If you cant find the housing and want to upgrade I know Randy at Apex was modifying your original, but I dont know if he is doing this anymore or not.

adh
02-27-13, 21:14
Good to know, although I wont be searching one out. I guess I subscribe to if it aint broke, it dont need fixing.

If you cant find the housing and want to upgrade I know Randy at Apex was modifying your original, but I dont know if he is doing this anymore or not.

I mine checked more out of curiosity than anything. TomMcC already pointed me in the right direction to get the replacement part as well as an upgraded sear housing with the larger plunger.

On another note
REGARDING the perception of good/bad CS.
I didn't say S&W has bad CS. I specifically said it was not a great experience. And, to me, it was not. This is a teeny tiny part that could easily be sent to me. I asked if I could buy the part. I did not ask them to give me the part. They said no. So be it. In my opinion not a great experience. I think we can leave it at that.

Striker
02-27-13, 21:55
TomMcC
Thanks for the heads up.

On another note, I'd like to get some input from the board members....the impetus for checking the sear plunger was do to an opportunity to possibly trade off the M&P for a Glock 21 Gen 3 IIRC....I was not totally sold on the deal, but was entertaining the idea. I rarely shoot/carry the M&P. My primary carry gun is a G17 and I just prefer the 9mm but feel that I should have a .45 in the stable. Since I REALLY like the G17 I figured I may like the G21 more than the M&P and shoot/cary it more.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm guessing that if I choose to keep the M&P I should probably go ahead and replace the sear housing with a newer one with the larger plunger.

Thanks

I don't know that you gain anything from making the trade. I would say try a Glock 21 before you do it. If you like it better, that's all that really matters. I've shot both and I don't think one is significantly better than the other. And carry? OK. Concealed carry? A Glock 21? Only if you dress around it.

Personally, unless I just hated the Smith, I would probably keep it, put an Apex trigger into it and stipple the grip or put grip tape on it. But after you shoot the 21, if you think you'll be happier with it, go for it.

azeriosu85
02-28-13, 02:22
You disassembled your gun further than S&W recommends, lose your sear by not paying attention, and are now asking for a free replacement, and they say sure send your gun in and you are racking this up as a negative experience???:bad:

Psalms144.1
02-28-13, 05:28
Not trying to be combative with you, but unless TomMcC had directed me to a place that had the plunger I would not have found one...I looked at two of the most likely places to stock such a part(Midway and Brownells) as well as trying my best googling and didn't find squat. I understand that some folks may want to or feel they have the ability to detail strip a pistol, but it really is not that hard....if the small plunger was not so damn minuscule I would not have lost it. I am really surprised that I did not get a response more along the lines of....sorry to hear that, we'll tape one to a piece of paper and mail it to you right away.
We can agree to disagree. I guess.Not combative at all. I had a similar experience when self-installing an Apex trigger kit in my 642 - there's a TINY spring in there that went flying, and, when I "found" it, it was by stepping on it and bending it wildly out of shape.

Where we diverge is that I don't expect S&W to fix my bad attempt at home gun-smithing. Lucky for me, Brownells stocks the spring I ruined, so I ordered five - lesson learned. You've found a source for your replacement part - so I still don't get the slam on S&W CS.

But, like you said, we can agree to disagree. Best of luck getting back up and running!

Regards,

Kevin

10-76
02-28-13, 06:52
Sold off the M&P 45 I had. Sold off ALL the M&Ps I had as I could not stomach dropping Apex kits into all of them-think I'd had 4 or 5 all together. Really loved their 40cs though.

Gen 3 G21 is a keeper for my sized hands.

jp0319
02-28-13, 07:26
I have only had one dealing wit S&W Customer service but it was very positive. I called to ask if I could purchase flat magazine base pads for my M&P 45 compact and they sent me 4 and asked for no money.

Maybe you should call and try that route, I called after sending an e-mail and not recieving a reply.

JP

JHC
02-28-13, 08:03
We can agree to disagree. I guess.

I had a similiar mishap with a small part of a Glock and called their CS line. The guy heard my story and took my address. He mailed me a zip lock bag with a half dozen of the small plastic pins; no charge; he apparently expected me to lose a few more. :D

rjacobs
02-28-13, 12:12
You disassembled your gun further than S&W recommends, lose your sear by not paying attention, and are now asking for a free replacement, and they say sure send your gun in and you are racking this up as a negative experience???:bad:

did you fail to read the thread? He is trying to BUY a replacement and admitted it was his fault.

T2C
02-28-13, 12:30
Below is copied and pasted direct from my email:

REFERENCE NUMBER: LTK************ Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
SUBJECT: Sear Plunger Help

Dear Customer,

The part requested is factory installed only, we do not have access to the parts through the service department. The firearm will need to be sent in for repair.

If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.

Sincerely,

The way I am reading this makes me think that S&W only wants this part replaced by their service department personnel. It could be that their lawyers don't want the part sold to the general public.

adh
02-28-13, 16:52
My apologies to the forum in general for starting this thread...it seems to be less than productive overall. My thanks to all who have given sound advice and my apologies to those who think I'm in the wrong. I think I will call S&W rather than rely on email alone. This has helped me in the past with Surefire as well. If that fails I am just going to buy the newer sear housing as well as the replacement plunger from speedshootersspecialties.com

again, my thanks and my apologies....the last thing I want to do is bring down one of the better forums on my favorite subject matter.

TomMcC
02-28-13, 17:12
No problem adh. We just have to realize that gun companies just won't cut loose with certain parts for "safety" reasons. I had the same prob with Springfield Armory and beaver tail grip safeties.

robotoid
02-28-13, 17:34
Try finding a replacement M&P sear block with the thumbsafety and larger sear plunger. I've been after one for almost a year with no success. If I lied to S&W and said I had the sear flutter problem, they'd fix it. But the fact that I want it fixed before the problem arises makes it a no go for them.

T2C
02-28-13, 17:46
It looks like another gentleman ran into the same issue that you are dealing with now.

http://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-603.html

Hopefully you can get this issue resolved in the near future.

adh
02-28-13, 19:23
decided to just buy the small sear and an upgraded sear housing from speed shooters and be done with it

1 x M&P Sear Plunger, Small (1902) $3.00
1 x M&P 45 Sear Block Assembly (1837) $19.11

C4IGrant
02-28-13, 21:00
1. S&W does not sell certain parts and in order to get them, you must be a certified armorer.
2. This is no poor CS, just company policy.

We have small plungers and plunger springs.

One last avenue to try is to call S&W CS and advise them that you have a dead trigger. This typically grabs their attention. ;)

C4

lethal dose
02-28-13, 21:02
Listen to grant. I think you'll be surprised what they send you. ;)

adh
02-28-13, 21:07
yall must have missed it.

I already bought the small plunger as well as the entire large plunger sear housing from speedshootersspecialties.com....figured why not upgrade and replace what I lost.....I lost the thing, not S&W....I had really hoped S&W would have just sent me one, but so be it.

Now if I could just find a .357 Model 13 or 65 with a 3" barrel for about $300 I'd be totally satisfied :)

Nick S
02-28-13, 21:43
You may know this already...when you buy a sear housing block it comes with sear, large plunger and spring as well as sear disconnect and pins.

Good luck.

T2C
02-28-13, 22:04
....................Now if I could just find a .357 Model 13 or 65 with a 3" barrel for about $300 I'd be totally satisfied :)

If you find a Model 13 for $300 and you decide you don't want it let me know. I would take five of 'em off your hands for that price. :D

10-76
03-01-13, 12:00
I already bought the small plunger as well as the entire large plunger sear housing from speedshootersspecialties.com....figured why not upgrade and replace what I lost.....I lost the thing, not S&W....I had really hoped S&W would have just sent me one, but so be it.
:)

Yeah, their CS has been outstanding for me, but that was regarding (2) gen 3 10xx pistols that needed their updating: CS sent out ship labels, I boxed them up and took to a UPS hub, and had to sign/pick up at the same hub. Pistols got their updates and 'smiths went through and replaced other aspects they felt needed it.

Except for my time to box and drive, it was "free" and outstanding service, and I did not buy those (2) new from factory.

Hope your pistol gets up & running.

TomMcC
03-01-13, 16:21
yall must have missed it.

Now if I could just find a .357 Model 13 or 65 with a 3" barrel for about $300 I'd be totally satisfied :)

I actually have a 13 with a 3" bull barrel, but you can't have it:lol: Mine's pristine and it's a real shooter. Hope you find one.