PDA

View Full Version : I HATE @*&$ Thieves

skydivr
02-27-13, 16:49
I hate with all my being thieves....

We just caught someone trying to defraud us out of approx $1600; he had 3 credit cards (one in TX, NJ and CO) with COMPLETE information (number, address, ccv code, exp date); wanted us to UPS ship to an address in Houston (I google earthed the address pic below). This exact stunt has now been tried 3X.

Called CC company notified gave them all the info so the could go cancel these cards.

The Secret Service doesn't want it because it's too small an amount.

This is the third time this has happened in the last 5 years; the first time it cost us $8K (our stupidity, the thief gave us 10 cc numbers before one would go thru - I almost fired someone over it).

The second time I had the thief on one line, and the real cardholder on another line AT THE SAME TIME (I googled the real owner and got a phone number)..

I can't publicly say what I'd like to do...

Brimstone
02-27-13, 17:02
We had someone in Buffalo, NY steal my wife's identity and open several accounts including cell phones back in 2002. I had the cell phone company send me all of their phone records (the phone was in my wife's name so they had no problem doing that). All of the calls were going to Yemen. This was in the height of the "see something, say something" days so I called the FBI. They were very interested and sent an agent to our house.

I have no way of knowing if it was connected, but shortly after this happened an Al Qaeda cell from Yemen was arrested in Buffalo,NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Six

A little off your original topic, but I hope those bastards got what was coming to them.

Bulletdog
02-27-13, 18:28
We had someone in Buffalo, NY steal my wife's identity and open several accounts including cell phones back in 2002. I had the cell phone company send me all of their phone records (the phone was in my wife's name so they had no problem doing that). All of the calls were going to Yemen. This was in the height of the "see something, say something" days so I called the FBI. They were very interested and sent an agent to our house.

I have no way of knowing if it was connected, but shortly after this happened an Al Qaeda cell from Yemen was arrested in Buffalo,NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Six

A little off your original topic, but I hope those bastards got what was coming to them.

Cool story, even though the details can't be verified.

Skydiver, I sympathize completely. Seems like it ought to be legal to inflict severe bodily harm on these people when we catch them...

T2C
02-27-13, 18:32
Credit card companies have fraud investigation units and they will contact the authorities in the jurisdictions in which the credit cards were issued. It can be frustrating for you if someone does not explain this to you when you speak with LEO.

nobody knows
02-27-13, 18:40
My wife just got ripped off by a" lone" company. it was only 650$ but right now thats a lot of money for us.

skydivr
02-27-13, 19:25
Credit card companies have fraud investigation units and they will contact the authorities in the jurisdictions in which the credit cards were issued. It can be frustrating for you if someone does not explain this to you when you speak with LEO.

I called the credit card company...and had to just about insist that they take the information on the cards I had been given in order to block them...

thopkins22
02-27-13, 19:31
Just playing devil's advocate here...but I had family members send things to me via courier services when I was living in South America. Hence, a credit card from TX, VA, or WV buying an item being shipped to a business in FL(in my case.)

Reality= Having three credit cards at the same time for the purchase is more than a little sketchy and I think you made the right decision by not completing the transaction.

randolph
02-27-13, 21:13
wow
I know exactly where that is. I drive by there 2-3 times a week and I live 2 miles north of there.
want me to go chunk a rock thru their window ?

theblackknight
02-27-13, 21:22
want me to go chunk a rock thru their window ?

http://i.qkme.me/3qawu3.jpg

T2C
02-27-13, 21:30
I called the credit card company...and had to just about insist that they take the information on the cards I had been given in order to block them...

This sort of thing pisses me off and I would travel half way around the world to recover 25 cents. Some of the financial institutions I dealt with had a $1500 threshold before they would even consider moving forward with a fraud case. I haven't worked any fraud cases in the past 6 years and I would bet the threshold is higher. It's cheaper to write off the loss.

SeriousStudent
02-27-13, 21:43

I can't publicly say what I'd like to do...

Waterboarding. It's not just for KSM anymore.

Jellybean
02-27-13, 22:45
Wow.
Morons.

On a slightly humorous note-
Somebody from Norway got my CC number somehow and tried to use it to buy a $1600 dollar tv- at least that's what the CC company told me the charge was for.
The funny part? I only had $60 in my account at the time (it's a bank credit/debit card). Jokes on you buddy! :D

skydivr
02-28-13, 09:58
Just playing devil's advocate here...but I had family members send things to me via courier services when I was living in South America. Hence, a credit card from TX, VA, or WV buying an item being shipped to a business in FL(in my case.)

Reality= Having three credit cards at the same time for the purchase is more than a little sketchy and I think you made the right decision by not completing the transaction.

Did you have 3 credit cards in 3 different names with 3 different billing address in 3 different states at the same time, passing off a 4th address 3rd party 'rent an address' shipper as his business address?

Told the guy the Secret Service had his phone number and would be contacting him shortly :)

thopkins22
02-28-13, 10:01
Did you have 3 credit cards in 3 different names with 3 different billing address in 3 different states at the same time, passing off a 4th address 3rd party 'rent an address' shipper as his business address?

Told the guy the Secret Service had his phone number and would be contacting him shortly :)

No, that I did not. ;) Thief indeed. If I'm being honest, I noticed that part in more detail after I hit submit.