PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15X

moresky
03-14-08, 20:29
Hello all. I am not looking for a debate on the manufacturers qualities or lack there of, eg: Colt vs. LMT vs. Noveske vs. S&W. I would however appreciate your opinions on the actual configuration of this model; strengths and weaknesses. Is this platform a good entry level place to start with room to grow, for non-professional use, but dependibility? I have received great info from you guys so far and I really appreciate your input and respect your opinions. Thanks.....

M&P Rifles -
Model M&P15X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam
03-14-08, 20:53
The only difference between the 15X and the standard 15 is the railed handguard. The comparison is here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

sapper36
03-14-08, 22:19
I just bought a LMT with the a DD Omega rail. I did it because that set up is vey close to what I carry at work. You have the ability to put what you want on the gun where you want and then cover the rest up with covers. So I guess I am saying it's a versitile setup:D

DM-SC
03-14-08, 22:27
The rail allows the mounting of lights, lasers, and VFG's. The non-free floated rail on the 15X MAY be a negative on accuracy with a VFG. Opinions seem to vary. The advantage is, it can be removed as easily (is it really EASY? :) ) as standard hand guards.

Speaking of the "Chart" and the M&P15's...I noticed the "1" by the FSB in the S&W M&P15 column.

Any specific info on that?

MassMark
03-14-08, 23:26
I think that's a great set-up. It appears Troy is still supplying accessories to Smith and Wesson and I can vouch for the sights - just put a set on my SOCOM-16 and have a rear for my coming build. Awesome stuff. I think for your needs the NFF front end will be perfect....Enjoy your new ride - nice choice. :cool:

MassMark
03-14-08, 23:33
Double Tap...

austinN4
03-15-08, 09:26
The only difference between the 15X and the standard 15 is the railed handguard.
The standard 15 with no letter after it has no rear BUIS if you remove the carry handle. The 15A has no carry handle and does have the rear BUIS. Hence the 15X is, I believe, actually a 15A with the addition of the non freefloated railed handguard.

With the X you get a fixed FS and 7" non freefloated railed handguard.

With the T you get a Toy flip up front BUIS instead of the fixed FS and a 10" railed freefloated Troy handguard over a low profile gas block, which, I am told, is now pinned on the newer builds.

I have been working the numbers on these pretty hard as I am considering an X or a T - same gun, just different personal preferences. What I have found, however, is if you add a 7" free float hanguard to a 15X you will be at or near the price of the 15T anyway, but without the extra goodies of the low profile gas block and front BUIS.

And worst of all, based on the prices I am getting, is buying the 15OR and adding the parts (fixed railed handguard and rear BUIS) to make it an X, as it is simply less money just to buy the X, unless, of course, you don't like the Troy parts S&W uses and want to use others.

DM-SC
03-15-08, 21:19
I'd really rather get a 15T. I like the H&K style Troy flip-up on the rail. I just don't know if it's worth another $250 over the cost of a 15X...

Palmguy
03-15-08, 22:46
I'd really rather get a 15T. I like the H&K style Troy flip-up on the rail. I just don't know if it's worth another $250 over the cost of a 15X...

Just so you know S&W/Troy switched from the HK style wings around the front sight post to M4 style wings. Still very nice sights though :)

austinN4
03-16-08, 11:26
You gotta want the low profile, Troy front sight and the 10" free float rail to justify the T. At $250 less, the X is the one to go with if you want a railed handguard to start with, otherwise the A is the one. I was just saying that if you go with an X and later try to make a T out of it, you will have saved a fair amount of $ by buying the T in the first place.

DM-SC
03-16-08, 18:36
Just so you know S&W/Troy switched from the HK style wings around the front sight post to M4 style wings. Still very nice sights though :)

When did they do that? I looked at two this weekend and both had the HK style front sight...

Palmguy
03-16-08, 19:09
When did they do that? I looked at two this weekend and both had the HK style front sight...

Not sure...my 15T is in the SW 61xxx S/N range and has the new style sight.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/MP001.jpg

austinN4
03-17-08, 08:19
It is not unusual to find dealers with the older builds still on hand after a change is made, especially lower volume dealers. Beware, however, that the older Ts with the old style sight may also be Ts that don't have the low profile gas block pinned and the Pmag problen fixed. All 3 changes happened at various times last year. The last 2 issues are more important to me than the FS and I will insist on the newest build for that reason.

DM-SC
03-17-08, 11:57
It is not unusual to find dealers with the older builds still on hand after a change is made, especially lower volume dealers. Beware, however, that the older Ts with the old style sight may also be Ts that don't have the low profile gas block pinned and the Pmag problen fixed. All 3 changes happened at various times last year. The last 2 issues are more important to me than the FS and I will insist on the newest build for that reason.

Yeah...that's something I'd thought of. Anyone know the S/N where they started pining the GB?

Shihan
03-17-08, 13:07
Yeah...that's something I'd thought of. Anyone know the S/N where they started pining the GB?

If your wondering if your has it just take a peak. If your unsure what it loks like post a pick witht he bottom handguard removed and we can help you out.

DM-SC
03-17-08, 14:08
If your wondering if your has it just take a peak. If your unsure what it loks like post a pick witht he bottom handguard removed and we can help you out.

Thanks! I knew I'd eventually NEED that 2 MP camera in my cell phone! :D

austinN4
03-17-08, 15:03
Looking is best. In post someplace, which I can't find, I recall someone saying their T gas block was pinned and IIRC their SN started at 66 or 67. But don't trust this and look before you buy.

Palmguy
03-17-08, 16:19
Fairly certain that my GB is NOT pinned, S/N 61xxx, but I'll have to double check next time I have the handguard off.