PDA

View Full Version : Got a Vortex 1-6 JM in

Alaskapopo
02-27-13, 20:22
I purchased this scope from Primary arms. Will post pics later. Sighted it in on top of my back up three gun rifle (Noveske Rogue Hunter)
So far things I like it. Clear glass, good positive adjustments, very good illumination. Its very closse to my Swaro in reticle design except for no wind marks. It is a heavy beast however. Again I will post pics later.
Pat

kcara
02-27-13, 21:03
I purchased this scope from Primary arms. Will post pics later. Sighted it in on top of my back up three gun rifle (Noveske Rogue Hunter)
So far things I like it. Clear glass, good positive adjustments, very good illumination. Its very closse to my Swaro in reticle design except for no wind marks. It is a heavy beast however. Again I will post pics later.
Pat. Congrats on the purchase. This is a nice looking scope. I will check out the pics later. It is supposed to weigh 18.4 ounces. I am curious how you like it in the field.

MadAngler1
02-27-13, 21:04
Thanks Pat. What's your opinion regarding the eyebox of the Vortex compared to the Swarvo?

The posts regarding the Kahles 1-6x may tempt me to take the plunge on that scope rather than the two you own. It's either that or a Short Dot for my SCAR 17. I won't have enough funds (or time to shoot) until late May, so I have some time.

Are you using an American Defense SCAR mount or a LaRue OBR mount for the Swarvo on the SCAR 17?

Alaskapopo
02-27-13, 22:04
. Congrats on the purchase. This is a nice looking scope. I will check out the pics later. It is supposed to weigh 18.4 ounces. I am curious how you like it in the field.

It weighs 25.2 ounches. I will be using in in a three gun match in 2 weeks and will let you know how it works out for me.

From Vortex sight
1-6x24

JM-1 BDC MOA

115.2 - 20.5'

4.0"

Capped

30 mm

10.1"

25.2 oz

Alaskapopo
02-27-13, 22:06
Thanks Pat. What's your opinion regarding the eyebox of the Vortex compared to the Swarvo?

The posts regarding the Kahles 1-6x may tempt me to take the plunge on that scope rather than the two you own. It's either that or a Short Dot for my SCAR 17. I won't have enough funds (or time to shoot) until late May, so I have some time.

Are you using an American Defense SCAR mount or a LaRue OBR mount for the Swarvo on the SCAR 17?

I have an OBR mount on the SCAR and I am still using a Trijicon TR24 for that gun. I am using the Swaro on my JP three gun rifle and the Vortex on the Noveske back up three gun rifle. I would put the Vortex on the Scar in a heart beat. It has a life time no BS warranty and the SCAR is hard on scopes.
Pat

Famine
02-28-13, 01:40
That sounds pretty heavy. That's almost 2 pounds with the mount. :eek:

Alaskapopo
02-28-13, 01:54
That sounds pretty heavy. That's almost 2 pounds with the mount. :eek:

Yep its heavy but still a good scope.
Pat

AustinWolv
02-28-13, 12:14
I've had mine since November 2012.

Was doing some trajectory validation today at 250 and 500y with mine, sitting on top of a Laure 18" Predator that is my 3gun gaming rig.

For kicks, ran it out to 750y with factory 69gr. Elevation adjustment off the turrets was accurate. I was holding windage due to time constraints with a 10mph crosswind.....if I had dialed wind, would have been consistent hits.

I'm really liking the scope although I agree with comments from others that windage stadia would be a great addition.

The windage marks on there correspond to a 10" target at the respective drop line distance.

I posted my thoughts elsewhere and sharing here:

I don't notice the weight of the scope at all, in response to some older comments above. However, I'm not lugging it up mountains overseas. My Vortex 1-6x is used for gaming, and I'm thrilled with it thus far. Got it in November after watching this thread and Alamoshooters's threads on Enos, and when OpticsPlanet was running a 10% off sale it was too tempting to pass up. Ran it for the first time at a match in December (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377TpmJMadU&feature=share&list=UUcHBWcsDUPpFSc_9k2nf9xQ) and was instantly comfortable with it, given that I'm an Aimpoint fan and had been seeking a dot-type picture on 1X. Not many good TX sun-bright ones out there, but the Vortex is, so I'm glad that I dropped the cash on it. The glass is excellent, the dot suits me great and fast on 1X compared to my previous scopes used in competition (SWFA 1-4x and Meopta ZD), and the reticule is uncluttered and works great for the 69gr rounds I'm using for long targets. Loving the FOV and this scope so far. The *only* thing I could complain about at this point is the lack of windage references at the holdover stadia, but that hasn't even been a problem so far at the local matches out to 480y in 10mph wind, plus Alamo gave me some good info on the width of the stadia.